Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Jesus Christ

This thread currently has 17,383 views. Print
37 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
April 8, 2021, 4:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Rick12
Nothing to do with the tooth fairy .Its to do with what was there before which gave rise to the big bang. For me that is God whilst others think its chance. As noted had I not seen what I had when young I would have been a agnostic so again I sympathise with your view.

As for Adam and Eve I think that's more of a symbolic story created by ancient man. We all evolved from Africa when nature was in balance. Humans came and some affected the natural delicate balance of it all through greed and power eg  chopping down the rainforests, overfishing and so forth.

I think religion comes from one heart eg somehow tied to into good  . I dont feel  no religion has all the answers. Its why there are/have been  different strands of religious thought all around the world since humans evolved culminating now in the main 5 which are Hinduism ,Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Sikhism  .Its mans attempt to understand something that is essentially above all of us even science. Its why now I take something from all faiths as I think all have truths to them.

Peace and love to you Rick.

I accept that mankind more than likely evolved from Africa before over time spreading generation after generation right across the globe

What I don't understand so much is that the Americas were isolated for such a long long time until they were colonised by Europeans who brought over their religions with them

IF there is one omnipotent power then why didn't the indigenous populations of the Americas worship the same god(s) as those in the so called developed world?

If European and Middle Eastern civilisation hadn't developed as it did and then crossed the Atlantic in the middle ages, then would there be millions of people on the American continent who (had they not been discovered and educated to the settlers beliefs) would literally be living in ignorance of how folk on the other side of the world worship their god(s)?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 170 - 364
Rick12
April 9, 2021, 7:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I accept that mankind more than likely evolved from Africa before over time spreading generation after generation right across the globe

What I don't understand so much is that the Americas were isolated for such a long long time until they were colonised by Europeans who brought over their religions with them

IF there is one omnipotent power then why didn't the indigenous populations of the Americas worship the same god(s) as those in the so called developed world?

If European and Middle Eastern civilisation hadn't developed as it did and then crossed the Atlantic in the middle ages, then would there be millions of people on the American continent who (had they not been discovered and educated to the settlers beliefs) would literally be living in ignorance of how folk on the other side of the world worship their god(s)?
Some Native American tribes did believe in  a creator though not all. Likwisewise there were other religions present in South America and notably one were animal sacrifice was used.

Morgan Freeman in his programme the story of God touched on this as well.Some of if  not the earliest religions stemmed from the native American Indians where archaeologists  found drawings in a cave depicting  a high and low life similiar to the Christian/Islamic  view of heaven and hell.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 364
KingstonMariner
April 9, 2021, 10:37am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

And add in the fact that the Abrahamic faiths didn’t even become the dominant religions in Europe and the Middle East until the early Middle Ages, let alone all those Hindus, Buddhists, Animistic religions, Shintoism, etc in Asia, Africa, the Americas.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 364
grimsby pete
April 9, 2021, 12:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
In the olden days when people were generally ignorant of most things religion gave them hope and a bit of understanding on what the world was about.

When Jesus was born America had not been discovered and people not only thought the earth was flat but it was the centre of the universe.

It's a pity Jesus who must have known this did not say anything.

Maybe he did not know and was not the son of god.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 364
codcheeky
April 9, 2021, 2:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from grimsby pete
In the olden days when people were generally ignorant of most things religion gave them hope and a bit of understanding on what the world was about.

When Jesus was born America had not been discovered and people not only thought the earth was flat but it was the centre of the universe.

Maybe he did not know and was not the son of god.

It is fair to say that America was “discovered “ and inhabited for thousands of years before either Columbus or Christianity,  it’s a bit of myth the Earth was thought of as flat by any with basic scientific knowledge
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 364
DB
April 9, 2021, 2:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from grimsby pete

Maybe he did not know and was not the son of God.

The situation is that as modern technology increases and inventiveness carries on, what happened in the past becomes even harder to understand and accept.

To put into perspective would anyone in the 1950s believe that you would be able to talk into a piece of plastic to somebody on the other side of the world!

Tell someone in the 1910s an aircraft would take off from a ship at over 500mph and land back on the ship!

In the war of the Roses, tell someone a canon would send a shell miles away and accurately destroy a target, every time!

It has hard for us to accept things that happened 1,000's of years ago, just as hard as it is for others in the future to accept what we do today.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 364
KingstonMariner
April 9, 2021, 3:23pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

It is fair to say that America was “discovered “ and inhabited for thousands of years before either Columbus or Christianity,  it’s a bit of myth the Earth was thought of as flat by any with basic scientific knowledge

Indeed. Didn’t one of those Ancient Greeks accurately calculate the size of the Earth as a sphere?

Columbus wouldn’t have set off on his first journey across the Atlantic if he’d thought the Earth was flat. He was trying to get to the East Indies by going west, so knew perfectly well that the Earth was round.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 364
grimsby pete
April 9, 2021, 5:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
I was not talking about the time of exploring our planet I was saying in Jesus life .

Being the son of god he should have known how the universe was set out.

There was little science knowledge about in those times.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 364
KingstonMariner
April 9, 2021, 5:50pm
Meths Drinker
Depends how he thought it best to use his time. Advance knowledge and provide the base for improved technology, enabling people to intercourse the world up quicker, or teach people how to lead better lives? Not that people paid/pay that much attention to what he said/supposedly said anyway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 364
DB
April 9, 2021, 5:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from grimsby pete
I was not talking about the time of exploring our planet I was saying in Jesus life .

Being the son of god he should have known how the universe was set out.

There was little science knowledge about in those times.

This would mean that if Jesus had told anybody then nobody would have believed him, what's more, most were not educated either.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 364
37 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.