Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Jesus Christ

This thread currently has 17,454 views. Print
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DB
February 22, 2021, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from KingstonMariner

They don’t assume God started it off. I said the Big Bang theory allows for a ‘god’ to have started it off.

Not God. Inverted commas as I was using ‘god’ as short-hand for a powerful entity with a conscious (or unconscious) will.

Sorry misunderstood you

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 364
DB
February 22, 2021, 11:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Here’s a good statement to discuss:

“With religion, good people do bad things.
Without religion, bad people do bad things.”

The OT was about Jesus Christ and as I pointed out in other posts Religion in all it's forms has taken over the name of Jesus Christ for their own ends. In todays world it would be called buying a brand which has little, if any, relevance to how the brand started.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 364
DB
February 22, 2021, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Quite.

The idea that people who work in healthcare of any sort only do it for the money is frankly insulting.

Up to a point I agree, but then you have private practice a paid for service which goes directly to the consultant. Also it is finding it harder to get a NHS dentist but private dental health care is easy  obtainable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 364
Sandford1981
February 22, 2021, 11:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from DB

Up to a point I agree, but then you have private practice a paid for service which goes directly to the consultant. Also it is finding it harder to get a NHS dentist but private dental health care is easy  obtainable.

That’s for entirely political reasons DB.

People are allowed to earn a living, However, even those in private healthcare of any persuasion will have other motivating factors beyond money for pursuing their profession. The idea that being paid to carry out a service makes you less effective or righteous than someone who does not is blinkered.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 364
grimsby pete
February 22, 2021, 11:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,802
Gold Stars: 222
Well if you listen to top scientist also Musk we are living in a simulation .

They say that a computer programme can give the characters feelings of love, hate pain ect.

There is only one reality but billions of programmes so what's the chance we are in the one reality ?

It all does my head in so try not to think about it so hard.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 364
Rick12
February 22, 2021, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981

That’s for entirely political reasons DB.

People are allowed to earn a living, However, even those in private healthcare of any persuasion will have other motivating factors beyond money for pursuing their profession. The idea that being paid to carry out a service makes you less effective or righteous than someone who does not is blinkered.
Its not blinkered though. Thing is Iam coming from personal experience(though not from a criminal background) as well as seeing others(ex criminals) who I was quite close to see the healing power of what genuine priests can do as opposed to psychologist/counsellor's who can only go far. In some cases made no dent at all on the criminal.

I agree some health professionals are not entirely doing it for the money but money remains a big factor. Priests on the other hand sacrifice so much .No marriage/ sex/children/money. All they have is the love for Jesus. Its why there are few priests now. The life is so hard but the rewards come with it. Spiritually more advanced than most of us. The classic case of this is  the current Pope . Pope Francis is a beautiful living embodiment of his faith. So much warmth and sincerity.  If more people were a bit more like him or tried to be a bit more like him this world would be far better than it is now. Similar to Jesus in many ways.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 364
Sandford1981
February 22, 2021, 12:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Its not ridiculous  though. Priests do it because they have deep conviction for Jesus and the divine. Ive witnessed as well the power of a priest that is truly healing whereas the psychologist  always lacks something eg the spiritual dimension which can never be grasped by science alone. Its this spiritual warmth that comes from the heart/soul of a genuine priest no phycologist/scientist will ever attain to the same degree as a priest who has spent his life developing.

The picture you paint of psychologists is one dimensional and your idea of counsellors seems very limited too. That’s not my experience.

However, I am not arguing against the benefits of a priest and the good that can come from him offering a service. I’m saying that just because he is not paid in money doesn’t mean he carries out his job selflessly as such. His currency is in trying to carry out Gods work.

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 364
Les Brechin
February 22, 2021, 12:17pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174

Ooops, I might have put this on the wrong thread.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 364
Rick12
February 22, 2021, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981

The picture you paint of psychologists is one dimensional and your idea of counsellors seems very limited too. That’s not my experience.

However, I am not arguing against the benefits of a priest and the good that can come from him offering a service. I’m saying that just because he is not paid in money doesn’t mean he carries out his job selflessly as such. His currency is in trying to carry out Gods work.

I agree some psychologists use humanistic techniques eg Carl Rodgers but some are still missing something which priests have. When you a put a full stop against any notion of there being a "divine" your limiting your consciousness to things which the human mind can never fully grasp.

Ive seen it with doctors as well. All to often they treat the physical and ignore the emotional needs just passing the buck to a psychologist who in some cases is as cold as ice. For me the emotional needs are more important than the physical . Its what in us. Hence do we choose life or just not bother and die out . This happens all to often to elderly and people who have suffered so much through illness/abuse when younger or others who have had traumatic pasts.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 364
Sandford1981
February 22, 2021, 12:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
I agree some psychologists use humanistic techniques eg Carl Rodgers but some are still missing something which priests have. When you a put a full stop against any notion of there being a "divine" your limiting your consciousness to things which the human mind can never fully grasp.

Ive seen it with doctors as well. All to often they treat the physical and ignore the emotional needs just passing the buck to a psychologist who in some cases is as cold as ice. For me the emotional needs are more important than the physical . Its what in us. Hence do we choose life or just not bother and die out . This happens all to often to elderly and people who have suffered so much through illness/abuse when younger or others who have had traumatic pasts.

Carl Rogers did more than employ techniques. His existence and work  was entirely based upon and dedicated to his beliefs. Incidentally he was a very spiritual person too and combined different religious philosophies alongside more empirically testable psychological principles.
Person centred counselling is based upon a holistic approach that looks well beyond the presenting symptoms and treats a person as a whole rather than 1 aspect of them.

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 364
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.