Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Jesus Christ

This thread currently has 17,201 views. Print
37 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DB
February 21, 2021, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,974
Gold Stars: 386
It was suggest on the Film Thread that this might be a topic for discussion.

I am a Christian and fully believe in the life and death of Jesus Christ. People ask for proof of his life on this earth and learned people start at Genesis going onto the New Testament quoting various scriptures. Some making themselves multi millionaires with large ego's.

Having read a lot of this I have thought about the proof of Jesus Christ's life from a different angle. I am sure most are familiar with the Vatican which is my start. I am not a Catholic, but ask any Catholic who the first Pope was? St. Peter, as in St Peter's Basilica the present day Vatican.

St. Peter is the same Peter in the New Testament who wrote the Books 1 Peter and 2 Peter. The same Peter a disciple of Jesus whom Jesus said Mat 16.18 'Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church'.

This is my simple summary of proof why I believe in Jesus Christ without resorting to scriptures.

I would also add that I do not fly the flag of any Christian religion as in my opinion, all fall short of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Whether you believe, or want or do not want to believe, is your choice and a purely personal one. As I have said several times on other posts I respect people opinions and hope they respect mine.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
February 21, 2021, 3:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
What puzzles me DB is why are there so many people with English names living in the middle East in those days.

Peter, Paul,Thomas.Mathew, Mark Mary need I go on ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 364
DB
February 21, 2021, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
What puzzles me DB is why are there so many people with English names living in the middle East in those days.

Peter, Paul,Thomas.Mathew, Mark Mary need I go on ?

Or you could say why have so many English people took names from the scriptures!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 364
grimsby pete
February 21, 2021, 3:34pm

Exile
Quoted from DB

Or you could say why have so many English people took names from the scriptures!

Fair point but why have not the middle eastern countries taken those names as well. ?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 364
DB
February 21, 2021, 3:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Pete I haven't the foggiest idea. Probably because they didn't believe in Jesus and remember that Jesus's time was within that of the Roman Empire around the Med and Europe.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 364
grimsby pete
February 21, 2021, 3:44pm

Exile
Quoted from DB
Pete I haven't the foggiest idea. Probably because they didn't believe in Jesus and remember that Jesus's time was within that of the Roman Empire around the Med and Europe.

OK mate I respect your view but I have too many questions unanswered to believe.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 364
Rick12
February 21, 2021, 3:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from DB

I am a Christian and fully believe in the life and death of Jesus Christ. People ask for proof of his life on this earth and learned people start at Genesis going onto the New Testament quoting various scriptures. Some making themselves multi millionaires with large ego's.

St. Peter is the same Peter in the New Testament who wrote the Books 1 Peter and 2 Peter. The same Peter a disciple of Jesus whom Jesus said Mat 16.18 'Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church'.

This is my simple summary of proof why I believe in Jesus Christ without resorting to scriptures.

I would also add that I do not fly the flag of any Christian religion as in my opinion, all fall short of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Whether you believe, or want or do not want to believe, is your choice and a purely personal one. As I have said several times on other posts I respect people opinions and hope they respect mine.
DB Ive been to the holy land as you may know from reading my discussion  with KingstonMariner on the film thread. Since going my faith in Jesus as a holy man has been recharged. I was brought up Catholic but went by the wayside a bit .Since seeing all the sites in 2018 on a holy pilgrimage tour Ive come back a better person .Its like a film set of the tv programme time team. I saw a fair few archaeological digs. Incredibly moving as well is seeing relics of houses and temples from Jesus's time especially in Capernaum .Likewise seeing the wall which King Herold built on the mountainside which was around at the time of Jesus further brings the bible to life.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 364
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 21, 2021, 4:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from DB
It was suggest on the Film Thread that this might be a topic for discussion.

Having read a lot of this I have thought about the proof of Jesus Christ's life from a different angle. I am sure most are familiar with the Vatican which is my start. I am not a Catholic, but ask any Catholic who the first Pope was? St. Peter, as in St Peter's Basilica the present day Vatican.

I believe that there could have been a preacher in those times and he may have been called Jesus, however as I like to point out to Christians this man would have been a jew, as were all his disciples. At no point in the bible does he renounce his Jewish faith and neither do any of the disciples and the crown of thorns was to represent him as King of the Jews. The christian religion was not founded for a number of years after the supposed death of Jesus. So the christian faith is based on fictional accounts written hundreds of years, in some cases, later. So why base a new religion on the teachings of someone who was obviously quite happy himself to be of another religion, why not just become another branch of Judaism.

Oh and his mum obviously slept around and the man who raised him was a gullible idiot.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 364
Humbercod
February 21, 2021, 4:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
I would class myself as an Atheist but I’m always intrigued and open to listening to alternative views, but the problem for me with the Jesus story is that the story has been told many times before his arrival.
Richard Dawkins covered this subject well in is excellent book the God delusion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 364
DB
February 21, 2021, 5:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I believe that there could have been a preacher in those times and he may have been called Jesus, however as I like to point out to Christians this man would have been a jew, as were all his disciples. At no point in the bible does he renounce his Jewish faith and neither do any of the disciples and the crown of thorns was to represent him as King of the Jews. The christian religion was not founded for a number of years after the supposed death of Jesus. So the christian faith is based on fictional accounts written hundreds of years, in some cases, later. So why base a new religion on the teachings of someone who was obviously quite happy himself to be of another religion, why not just become another branch of Judaism.

Oh and his mum obviously slept around and the man who raised him was a gullible idiot.

I respect your views which are personal to you.

However you have done nothing to suggest that going back in time from St. Peter is wrong. Jesus was a Jew as per the mocking of him at his death 'King of the Jews', and the beliefs of Christianity could not start until after his death as in CHRISTianity.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 364
37 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Jesus Christ

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.