Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 307 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,669 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
November 28, 2020, 9:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Les Brechin
A fascinating thread this, a real insight into the story of so many faceless posters.  
Lifelong commitment comes through in every post.  We have one of the strongest exile networks for a club of our level; everywhere I've lived in this country I've come across a Grimsby fan nearby. Almost seems like the degree of separation thing; everyone knows somebody who knows somebody who supports Grimsby. Even the Queen - John Major - Norman Lamont! I wonder if it will be as strong in 20 years time when the "McMenemy" generation are starting to fade away...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 205
KingstonMariner
November 28, 2020, 9:58am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good question Limerick. I think as long as GY doesn’t have a university, there will always be exiles. A big % of those graduates won’t come back as GY isn’t a big administrative centre, doesn’t have much in the way of central government agencies based there, and few large company HQs. Depending on relative economic performance of Grimsby, there will be more or fewer exiles as people have to move for work.

Kudos to Pete for kicking this thread off.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 205
ginnywings
November 28, 2020, 10:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Grimsby has always been a place to move from, not so much to move to, which is understandable, given that it didn't have much to attract people here, apart from the fishing, which is how my Dad ended up here, having moved from Scarborough. Fishing is mainly lost now, though it may have a bit of a resurgence, depending on the deal we get from Brexit. The energy sector will also hopefully blossom.

I've often thought of moving away, but never got round to it for one reason or another. I quite like living in Clee now though.

Finding this thread fascinating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 205
Withnail
November 28, 2020, 10:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Born Nunsthorpe maternity hospital in 1974.

Grew up in Grimsby. First game I vividly remember going to was Chelsea at home when Kerry Dixon scored to clinch them the old Second Division title. It was a school friend's birthday so his dad took about half a dozen of us to the game but conscious of the fact there would be some bother had parked what seemed like miles from the ground. "Just around the next corner lads..." I remember him repeatedly telling us while urging us not give the Chelsea fans any funny looks on the way into the ground. We were about nine/ten at the time!

I remember the Chelsea fans being ejected from one of the home stands and staring with dead eyes at us (in the Osmond I think?) as they were filed past us by the police.

As kids my grandpa used to take me and my cousin Trawler to games when he came up from London with his parents and brothers.

Remember losing to Norwich in the quarter finals of what was then the Milk Cup and Town fans throwing snowballs at their keeper. Was it Bryan Gunn?

After flirting with Man U as a young kid I dropped them after catching the Mariners bug when Buckley took over. I never had a season ticket but as a teenager attended at least three quarters of home games and a fair few away games.

Then left Gy for university for three years ('93-'96) in London. We had a quality team during this period so went to as many London based games as I could. Drawing 1-1 with West Ham at Upton Park, was memorable, not least as I was with a Hammers supporting friend from uni. He was blown away by the noise and passion of the Town faithful.

I also recall a cracker of a game at Carrow Rd in '95 I think. Finished 2-2. Ivano was head and shoulders above any other player on the park.

Came back to Grimbo where I lived and worked and was at most home games in the 97/98 season. Highlights Fulham in 2nd leg of the play off semi against Fulham and obviously our historic first trip to Wembley and return just days later for our play off triumph.

Left Gy in 2002 to travel the world for seven months.

Moved back down to London (Highbury, Finchley, Highgate, Archway) afterwards where I lived until 2006. This coincided with a downward trajectory for Town. Must admit the  04/05 season is a blur - I'd either lost interest or deliberately blocked it out of my memory. '06 was admittedly memorable. Saw us beat Spurs in an Arsenal pub in Finchley. Went to Cardiff for the play off heartbreak and a dozen league games.

Then moved to Norwich with work, before returning to London (Highgate, Hackney).

Then moved further south first Southampton (coincided with the bloody Salisbury debacle!), then Winchester and now Cirencester - which is handy for Cheltenham, Forest Green and up until recently Swindon.

Before Covid I'd always get back to Gy at least four times a year to see family and friends and try to coincide it with Town at home.

My last game at BP, which seems like an age ago, was Exeter last season back in January. We played very well but lost. My brother in law came up from Somerset for the day (on the Exeter supporters bus, despite being a Yeovil fan) and raved about the northern hospitality and the history of the Main Stand.

Up the Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 205
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 28, 2020, 12:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,270
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from Withnail

Grew up in Grimsby. First game I vividly remember going to was Chelsea at home when Kerry Dixon scored to clinch them the old Second Division title. It was a school friend's birthday so his dad took about half a dozen of us to the game but conscious of the fact there would be some bother had parked what seemed like miles from the ground. "Just around the next corner lads..." I remember him repeatedly telling us while urging us not give the Chelsea fans any funny looks on the way into the ground. We were about nine/ten at the time!

I remember the Chelsea fans being ejected from one of the home stands and staring with dead eyes at us (in the Osmond I think?) as they were filed past us by the police.

As kids my grandpa used to take me and my cousin Trawler to games when he came up from London with his parents and brothers.

Remember losing to Norwich in the quarter finals of what was then the Milk Cup and Town fans throwing snowballs at their keeper. Was it Bryan Gunn?

After flirting with Man U as a young kid I dropped them after catching the Mariners bug when Buckley took over. I never had a season ticket but as a teenager attended at least three quarters of home games and a fair few away games.

Then left Gy for university for three years ('93-'96) in London. We had a quality team during this period so went to as many London based games as I could. Drawing 1-1 with West Ham at Upton Park, was memorable, not least as I was with a Hammers supporting friend from uni. He was blown away by the noise and passion of the Town faithful.

I also recall a cracker of a game at Carrow Rd in '95 I think. Finished 2-2. Ivano was head and shoulders above any other player on the park.

Came back to Grimbo where I lived and worked and was at most home games in the 97/98 season. Highlights Fulham in 2nd leg of the play off semi against Fulham and obviously our historic first trip to Wembley and return just days later for our play off triumph.

Moved back down to London (Highbury, Finchley, Highgate, Archway) afterwards where I lived until 2006. This coincided with a downward trajectory for Town. Must admit the  04/05 season is a blur - I'd either lost interest or deliberately blocked it out of my memory. '06 was admittedly memorable. Saw us beat Spurs in an Arsenal pub in Finchley. Went to Cardiff for the play off heartbreak and a dozen league games.

Then moved to Norwich with work, before returning to London (Highgate, Hackney).

Then moved further south first Southampton (coincided with the bloody Salisbury debacle!), then Winchester and now Cirencester - which is handy for Cheltenham, Forest Green and up until recently Swindon.

Before Covid I'd always get back to Gy at least four times a year to see family and friends and try to coincide it with Town at home.

My last game at BP, which seems like an age ago, was Exeter last season back in January. We played very well but lost. My brother in law came up from Somerset for the day (on the Exeter supporters bus, despite being a Yeovil fan) and raved about the northern hospitality and the history of the Main Stand.

Up the Mariners!

I remember that Chelsea game vividly - it was obvious there were loads of Chelsea fans in the ground but when they scored the first goal they started celebrating all over the place which kicked off loads of fights. The police and stewards didn't know what to do. For a short period it looked like there might be carnage but it calmed down as Chelsea took control of the game. It's possibly the only time I've wanted Town to lose (we had nothing to play for) so that the whole thing didn't kick off. I remember being p*ssed off at the end that they were on our pitch celebrating.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 205
NorthLondonMariner
November 28, 2020, 12:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Lifelong commitment comes through in every post.  We have one of the strongest exile networks for a club of our level; everywhere I've lived in this country I've come across a Grimsby fan nearby. Almost seems like the degree of separation thing; everyone knows somebody who knows somebody who supports Grimsby. Even the Queen - John Major - Norman Lamont! I wonder if it will be as strong in 20 years time when the "McMenemy" generation are starting to fade away...

Not quite exiles. but I've been to Serbia a few times and have often worn my town shirt. I got a bit intrigued as to why loads of random Serbians would instantly recognize my town shirt, so I asked someone why so many people kept coming up to me singing "Grimsby Town FC". Turns out FK Partizan of Belgrade play in black and white stripes & their supports support all English teams that play in black and white stripes by default.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 205
scrumble
November 28, 2020, 12:57pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Born in Grimsby and grew up in Holton Le Clay. My missus lived Wales, but I met her in Barnsley of all places. Moved In with her ten years ago, and now live in the same town as some of Ben Davies family (I bought one of his match shirts that he gave to them for a local charity auction)

I live close enough to Wrexham so that all  I hear about is Ryan Reynolds and bloody deadpool

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 205
tanga_the_indestructible
November 28, 2020, 1:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Withnail

Up the Mariners!

Me and my postie in Bedford bonded over that Chelsea match. He saw my GTFC welcome mat one day and mentioned he'd been at that game (I was too). Ever since then we always have a chat about footie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 205
Les Brechin
November 28, 2020, 1:32pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Withnail

I think the Norwich keeper that day was Chris Woods.

Town fans spend ages that afternoon clearing the pitch of snow and it was only one of a very few to go ahead that night. The lines were painted blue that night too IIRC.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 205
Les Brechin
November 28, 2020, 1:34pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Here we are.

[youtube]yo0CfblBtP8[/youtube]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 205
21 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.