Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 26, 2020, 11:22am
I thought it would be nice to find out where most of the exiles live and why they moved there.

Apart from two years living in Middlesbough between the age of 5--7 I lived in Grimsby and Cleethorpes until the age of 39.

We moved to Sudbury in Suffolk because my wife had a job offer to manage a new sheltered housing scheme from her employer , I gave up my job as a car salesman and encouraged her to take it so we could have a new adventure (a bit like Ollie and wife )  8)

After two years our daughter moved into Suffolk in a small village called Thurston.
One day while visiting the daughter we passed a new sheltered housing scheme which was a five minute walk from the daughters so the wife said I think I will put if for that job if they have not got anybody appointed yet. They hadn't so she did and she got the job which was with a different company.
So we moved to Thurston and we have stayed here ever since , it did not make any difference to my job with the Suffolk County Council as I visited building all around Suffolk.

When we both retired first the wife then myself we decided to stay in the village which has grown from 1500 people to over 4000 and its still growing.
It's a nice area to live but Grimsby will always be home and the mariners will always be the only team for me.
I have formed a mini Grimsby Town fan club here with my grandchildren and great grandchildren.I

Once a mariner always a mariner.

Ipswich is only 30 minutes away and Norwich less than a hour but could never support them the only time I have been is to see town play and its the same with Colchester and Cambridge plenty of clubs I could choose to watch but haven't.
Posted by: Town Monkey, November 26, 2020, 11:31am; Reply: 1
I was born in Grimsby (but never actually lived there).  I lived in Holton Le Clay until I was 6, moved to Grantham where I grew up and then went to Uni in Southampton.  Moved to Bristol for my first graduate job in 2001 and have never left the South West.  I moved to a village in North Somerset in 2010 as we were having kids and the local schools in Bristol weren't great at the time.  Where I live now is relatively idyllic and I still work in Bristol (although haven't been to office since February).  In normal times, I travel a lot with work and we have Bristol airport nearby and London is 2 hours away by train.  

I've never stopped supporting Town, there's only ever been one club for me.  I haven't inflicted Town on my son though, he's a Bristol City fan but he's still seen Town win more than them live.  Mainly thanks to the last 2 visits to Exeter (and the fact that he's never seen City score when we've been to a game)!  That said he's more into cricket than anything else....  
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 26, 2020, 11:50am; Reply: 2
Great idea Pete

Born Nunny maternity home (1983) - lived and brought up Watford Ave on the Grange  - left 1995 for a place called Northampton

Lived here ever since - well actually live in Flore now which is about 20 mins drive to the Town Centre

So my old man had a Fish Round down in London and the surrounding villages and he was driving a lot so needed to find a place to live that would cut out the driving and we ended up in Northampton - ironically he no longer does the Fish anymore but drives for a living!

Met some good Grimsby folk here in Northampton - Mike , Mick and his two lads and also Mick's mate who I do appologise I have forget your name - terrible memory for my age
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 26, 2020, 12:26pm; Reply: 3

My journey was in the opposite direction Pete.

My father who came from Hull was drafted in as a shuttering joiner to work on the 53 Mablethorpe flood disaster. He ended up staying in digs at a guest house on Grant Street here (Cleethorpes) which just happened to be run by my future grandparents.
He met my mother there, they got married and moved to Hull. I was born in Hull and grew up in Cottingham. My dad used to take me to watch the Tigers at Boothferry Park when I was a kid, Chilton, Wagstaff, Simpkin to name a few. He was a Hull City fanatic.
My mother missed her parents so they decided to move back to Cleethorpes.
Never forget the day I started school at St Peters on the Ave, sh!tting myself, I would have had a Hull  accent back then. Fortunately the accent disappeared over the years   ;D
Did a lot of fishing with my school mates at Beacon Hill/Matthew so was a late starter for my age following Town. Started following Town in the late 70's, what a great time that was, hooked ever since.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 26, 2020, 12:44pm; Reply: 4
Born in Brigg.
Leeds Uni (Gary Lund's girlfriend [now wife apparently] was also there, a couple of times I had the surreal experience of him catching the same train after the game - nice guy, now an estate agent that plays alot of golf...)
From age 23 on - Lancashire (Burnley then Preston)
Manchester 7 years
Limerick 5 years (about a mile from the Waters ancestral home) - became a county cricketer - County Limerick - about Brigg Town 2nd XI standard.
Leicestershire - Melton Mowbray...

Addendum - I have 3 kids who all support Town, never having lived within 80 miles of Gy, the minor trade-off is they all support Leicester Tigers who, up until 3 yrs ago, used to mostly win, at least it's not another football team...
Posted by: Henryscat, November 26, 2020, 12:47pm; Reply: 5
Born in Croft Baker and lived in Gy til I was 18 and went to Bradford for uni. Lived there 6 years then moved to Stockport where I have been for 16 years now.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 26, 2020, 1:02pm; Reply: 6
Grimsby born n bred, moved to Beverley in 2001 to live with my now,, thankfully, ex-wife.
Worked at Immingham docks until 2004, then changed jobs and ended up staying on the north bank and now living on the outskirts of Hessle.
My boy was born in Beverley, now 16 and followed in my foot steps and is GTFC through to the core, proudly dons his town shirts, tops, coat and hat everywhere he goes.šŸ‘āš½
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 26, 2020, 1:06pm; Reply: 7
Born in Nunsthorpe at the maternity hospital

Lived my early years in Cleethorpes ( Lovett Street ) so within earshot of BP... there was no way I was not going to go there to find out more about all the cheers I could hear from our house  ;)

Moved to Grimsby when I was 8 and stayed local until my early 20s ( apart from a year at Newcastle Poly ) then moved with my job (VW) to MK

For the first 4-5 years came home just about every weekend as there was nothing to do - only stayed there when Town had a game down that way. To be honest being a central location was better for getting to away games than being in GY

Lived there for 15 years - got married and had my first daughter there but then started heading back northwards
into Northamptonshire ( Thrapston - just a coupe of miles away from the old Rushden ground )

Lived there 10 years (and had another daughter and a son) before taking a leap of faith coming back north

How I'd have loved to come back to my hometown but the (ex) Mrs wanted to go back to her roots so ended up in Goole...... I can't say I live here really.

It's just my base in the week now as I work in Hull and come over to GY ( or did ) for all the home games ( along with my son - we were both season ticket holders until this season )

The wife divorced me a couple of years back and the kids are all in their 20s now and building their own lives so I really do feel like "a fish out of water" over here. A bit like a salmon, being spawned near the Humber and after testing the waters elsewhere, want/need to come back to my familiar old ground

I'm getting closer to retirement now and once that's all done, then more than likely I'll end up going back to my roots. Can't wait!  :)

UTM
Posted by: Ipswin, November 26, 2020, 1:23pm; Reply: 8
Born in Croft Baker in 1951 Lived in Rowston Street and first saw Town on Christmas Day 1958 (we lost)

Went to Clee Grammar. Joined Her Majesty's Customs and Excise in 1968 at Immingham

Married my wife, a nurse at the General, in 1973 and bought our first house in Claremont Road. Our lad Matt (named after the great man) was born in 1976

Transferred to Ipswich in 1978 to work on drugs Investigation Duties. Retired early in 2005

Wanted to move back 'home' on retirement but my wife is a Skeggy lass not Grimsby plus our son and two grand daughters are down here so stuck in silly Suffolk for life I guess.

Only ever been in Portman Road in the 40+ years I have been here when the Mariners were the visitors
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 26, 2020, 1:28pm; Reply: 9
Born and lived an idyllic childhood in a small village near Leeds until I was 11, unfortunately at a rugby league school but still preferred football. My hero was John Charles. My mother came from Grimsby but had relatives in Leeds, father was born and bred in Leeds.

Used to visit Cleethorpes at least twice a year and got my intro to BP and Ron Rafferty at Christmas Day 1956.

Eventually moved permanently to Cleethorpes then Grimsby for the next few years. Lost most of the Yorks accent then, my Dad never did though. Became a committed Mariner.
Later went to Nottingham and then worked in various places in West Yorks before returning to GY ...... until 7 years ago when I moved to Norfolk and support Town by mouse, keyboard and profanity.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 26, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 10
My story is a bit different but it could have been very similar.

I was born at Croft Baker in Cleethorpes but never lived there. When I was born we lived in Grimsby in Newhaven Terrace. However, when I was only 6 months old we moved to Cardiff with my Dad's job. He was a local Government Officer. Then, about a year later, we moved to Leicester, again with my Dad's job.

When I was 3 and a half though, my Dad contracted leukemia, which back in the late 60's was as good as a death sentence and sadly died just over 2 months after diagnosis. As the house came with my Dad's job we were as good as thrown out on the street and Mum along with my sister, then 7, and brother 14, moved back to Grimsby, as that was where all our family were. We ended up in a council house on The Nunny originally and I've lived in Grimsby ever since.

Still the biggest regret in my life that I never really knew my Dad and I often wonder what would have happened had he not died at such a young age (38 ).
Posted by: oochiad, November 26, 2020, 1:36pm; Reply: 11
Born in Croft Baker 1966, moved to Leeds 86 and still here. Season Ticket holder so back home with my Dad for games when allowed. UTM!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 26, 2020, 1:49pm; Reply: 12
Born in meggies and left when I was 18 to go to uni in South Wales. From there, lived in Leicester, that there London, Bristol and Gloucester.

Moved over to Northern Ireland (Derry/Londonderry) some 20 months ago with my good lady and never enjoyed a place more. Itā€™s a lot like Gy/clee in many ways. People very hospitable and social. The bad press (mainly from the bbc) doesnā€™t do the city any favours. Plus, the Guinness is far better!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 26, 2020, 2:05pm; Reply: 13
Born in Croft Baker in 1968. Brought up in Scartho and left Grimsby at 18 to go to university in Nottingham. Met my wife in Nottingham (but she was a Cleethorpes girl!) and we lived in Nottingham before moving to the Manchester area for her job. We then moved south to Hertfordshire because of work and then got divorced. I stayed in the area for a while before getting a job in the US and then was moved to Tokyo by the company, who then made me redundant!
I moved back to the UK almost 2 years ago and live not far from Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire.

It was always a little taste of home to check how Town had done on the BBC website when I was in the US or Japan. It was a bit surreal in Japan because you checked Saturday's result on Sunday morning, so looking at results and reading match reports was a Sunday breakfast thing.
Posted by: Dan, November 26, 2020, 2:35pm; Reply: 14
Lived in Grimsby until I was 18. Studied in Sheffield. Got a job in London. Still in London 10 years later.

Nothing too exciting, all driven by simple economics and following where the work in my industry is rather than by choice. Iā€™m in Peckham now. Thereā€™s a car on my street with a town sticker in the window, but this being London I have no idea who my neighbours are. When we could attend games though theres always lots of familiar exile faces at Cambridge, Crawley, Orient, Stevenage etc  šŸ™‚
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 26, 2020, 2:39pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Dan
Lived in Grimsby until I was 18. Studied in Sheffield. Got a job in London. Still in London 10 years later.

Nothing too exciting, all driven by simple economics and following where the work in my industry is rather than by choice. Iā€™m in Peckham now. Thereā€™s a car on my street with a town sticker in the window, but this being London I have no idea who my neighbours are.

Leave a note on the windscreen?

Posted by: Dan, November 26, 2020, 2:41pm; Reply: 16
Considered it šŸ˜‚ actually I think there must be a few mariners round here, If I go out for a run in my town shirt I often get the odd up the mariners or such from passers by.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, November 26, 2020, 2:46pm; Reply: 17
It is a really good idea, Pete, nice one. I was born in 1963 in Lovett Street (close enough to hear...), went to every home game when Lawrie took us up. Most oif those were with my uncle, my dad was at sea with the Merchant Navy. We moved to Brigg when  I was 12, music (punk, specifically) took over and GTFC didn't get a look in until much later when I had kids of my own. Preston, Durham, London (Bethnal Green, Hackney) then Kuwait, then Beijing for 23 years (I know....) and now Jakarta, Indonesia to see out my teaching career. When my eldest lad (now 22) got into football at 3 years old (no kidding), my old flame reared her beautiful haddock-like head...when his younger brother was around 6, and their younger sister was 5 GTFC were back on the map for me. I have experienced Town as an 8 year old and as a 45-58 year old, so I missed the Buckley years completely. Anyway, these are tough times for everyone,but ideas like this bring people back together, Pete, so thank you. UTM
Posted by: buckstown, November 26, 2020, 2:48pm; Reply: 18
Born and bred in Grimsby and spent most of my childhood on the Yarborough estate. Worked for Findus (as my dad did) but moved to the north east for work in 1982 living in Whitley Bay and Tynemouth.
Moved south to work for Quaker Oats in 1990 and been living in Hazlemere near High Wycombe ever since. Last full time job was working for Nestle's pet food division, then did some part time self employed before throwing in the towel 3 years ago
Still enjoy visiting Grimsby for football and a beer in the Notts. My kids and grandsons are town fans so long may that continue
Posted by: Mariner John, November 26, 2020, 2:48pm; Reply: 19
Born in Nunny nursing home, 1956, lived in Lord St, the Willows then joined up in 1972, moved to Hereford and many places in between. Came back to Grimsby in 1985 as my wife was dying so moved from the camp I was at to the nearest place of her mum and dad, which was in Binbrook. They lived in Nunny. Bought a house on Glenfield road. Later rented it out as I moved abroad. Left the forces in 99 and moved back into the house, started my own business so had to move to just outside Wakefield. Moved again to within 45 minutes of Grimsby still visit my relations now and again. Still, read the Grimsby Telegraph and follow Town, nobody else.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 26, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 20
Born and grew up in GY.
Moved to London at 17. Then Geneva. Moved back to GY for a few years. Moved back to LDN. Then moved to New York. Moved back to LDN. Moved to Bedford, where I currently live.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, November 26, 2020, 2:52pm; Reply: 21
Born and grew up in GY.
Moved to London at 17. Then Geneva. Moved back to GY for a few years. Moved back to LDN. Then moved to New York. Moved back to LDN. Moved to Bedford, where I currently live.

are you running  away from or to? kidding. see the world
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, November 26, 2020, 2:59pm; Reply: 22
My parents weren't from the area originally. My dad was a deep sea fisherman from Fleetwood Lancs. He came here via Hull and fished out of Grimsby to Iceland/Faroes for Consols and Peter Sleights.

My mum was from Donegal, Ireland. Still not entirely sure how she ended up on the Lincolnshire coast. I was born 1967 in Grimsby. Lived most of my life in Cleethorpes (Barcroft St where the floodlights would light up my bedroom on night matches) and later off Clee Road.

Went to my first game in '77 after nagging my mum and dad forever. I had already seen Blackpool (my dad's team) and Fleetwood Town play by then. Been a ST holder on and off since.

Met my (now) wife who is from the Scunny area and moved here getting on for almost 20 years ago. In that time I only know 2 guys who actually watch the Iron on a regular basis. Obviously I will never go to Glanford Park to watch them . They don't really bother me as they have no interest to me. My only visits to Scunthorpe United have been cheering the away side be it The Mighty Mariners, or the Tangerines or the Cods. Saw Man City there once as I was a ST holder at City for a number of years. But it's the Mariners all the way these days and a ST holder at BP.

There are a few Mariners around these parts and only down the road so I havent moved far.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 26, 2020, 3:24pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Dan

Nothing too exciting, all driven by simple economics and following where the work in my industry is rather than by choice. Iā€™m in Peckham now. Thereā€™s a car on my street with a town sticker in the window, but this being London I have no idea who my neighbours are. When we could attend games though theres always lots of familiar exile faces at Cambridge, Crawley, Orient, Stevenage etc  šŸ™‚

Had to do it   :)

[img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/WB8FBW/vintage-robin-reliant-yellow-three-wheeled-car-on-council-estate-replica-of-only-fools-and-horses-tv-programme-vehicle-peckham-WB8FBW.jpg[/img]
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 26, 2020, 3:56pm; Reply: 24
Born in Horncastle. Lived (Waltham) and worked in Grimsby until 1990 moved to Stoke on Trent for work. Currently living in Newcastle under-Lyme (it's the posh end of Stoke).
First real Town game was against Everton in the cup (Brolly 2) and then never left the Barrats Stand.
My son never succumbed to supporting Stoke/Man Utd and has supported Town with me since 4 years old poor thing
Do alot of away games and a few home games and hope for better times ahead for us all.
Posted by: vinno69, November 26, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 25
Born in 1969 at Croft Baker, i lived in Fairbrother Street  and Birch Avenue (as a youngster).  So went to Welhome then Yarborough schools before going to Hereford. Lived in Scartho until 7 years ago I then moved to the Nottingham area as I had set a up busines there,.

I recently moved to Berryhill Mansfield.  I get to home and away matches as and when I can which is not as often as I would like.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 26, 2020, 4:48pm; Reply: 26
My dad was born in Grimsby (Durban Road) in the early 1920s and supported Town.  The family sensibly moved closer to BP living on the corner of Ellison St and Grimsby Road.

He married a lass from Mablethorpe and I was brought up there.  Great place to grow up, especially in the summer.  Very few decent jobs though.  Like many friends I moved away from the area. I joined the RAF as an Apprentice at age 16.

Met my future wife whilst stationed at RAF Fylingdales in North Yorkshire.  Bought a house in York as I got a job in the city after demob. Have been married for 38 football seasons now.  Although not sure if the NL seasons should be deducted.  

3 Town fans living here car-share for most home games.  
Posted by: kenlyn, November 26, 2020, 5:18pm; Reply: 27
Born and bred in Grimsby 1952, lived Bridge Street until they decided to build the multistorey flats and we moved to Springfield Road were I stayed until getting married in 1980 at Great Coates church. Wife was also born Grimsby and lived Wade Avenue and Newsham Drive. Within a month of getting married we moved for work as newsagents managers, spent 1 year in Barnet, nearly 4 years in Coventry, 2 years in Newark, 2 years in Ipswich finally moving to Flitwick in Bedfordshire during November 1989 and have remained to this day. Took early retirement in 2013 and paid off the mortgage after getting a pay off from Asda as they looked to reduce the workforce in the warehouse. Both our children and our 3 grandchildren live in Northampton so moving back home (seems out of the question),as we still refer to it, there is only one home and one team for me.Whilst in Ipswich I used to get offered tickets for the paperboys and took my son once, big mistake he took them up as his team and still supports them. Do not get to many town games as I would like to but have managed all the Wembley games. We manage nowadays to spend a week in Grimsby playing catch up which often coincides attending funerals, not managed it this year because of the pandemic but on the plus side nobody we know has died except for the mighty Matt Tees although we did not know him personally.

UTM and everybody stay safe.
Posted by: malkamalka, November 26, 2020, 5:32pm; Reply: 28
Born Louth, First Town game v Chelsea aged 7. Still have the old Black and White programme.  Lived Louth and Grimsby till age 21 when I moved to Oz.

Went "bush" for a few years and actually met another Mariner also from Louth. (He actually successfully feigned madness to get himself and his family repatriated to the UK).

Back to Lincolnshire in 2005, now retired.
Posted by: Teesknees, November 26, 2020, 5:36pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Ipswin
Born in Croft Baker in 1951 Lived in Rowston Street and first saw Town on Christmas Day 1958 (we lost)

Went to Clee Grammar. Joined Her Majesty's Customs and Excise in 1968 at Immingham

Married my wife, a nurse at the General, in 1973 and bought our first house in Claremont Road. Our lad Matt (named after the great man) was born in 1976

Transferred to Ipswich in 1978 to work on drugs Investigation Duties. Retired early in 2005

Wanted to move back 'home' on retirement but my wife is a Skeggy lass not Grimsby plus our son and two grand daughters are down here so stuck in silly Suffolk for life I guess.

Only ever been in Portman Road in the 40+ years I have been here when the Mariners were the visitors

I lived in Martlesham Heath for a few years, the only time I went into Portman Road was to see Joe Cocker and Rod Stewart! Town and Ipswich weren't in the same league at the time!
Posted by: cardiffmariner, November 26, 2020, 6:15pm; Reply: 30
Born in ā€˜75 and grew up in Scaffa until I left for uni in the nineties.

Weā€™ve been in the fishing industry for generations and after graduating, and not giving much thought to a job, I ended up on the docks with my dad. Wasnā€™t for me and ended up teaching in the Welsh valleys and spending a good few years in Cardiff. Met my now wife during this time at a school in Newport Andy moved over to Brizzle where she was living. Still here 17 odd years later and live a stones throw from the Memorial Stadium with another Town fan living just round the corner.

Neither of my two kids have taken to footy massively, but if you ask them who they support theyā€™ll say Grimsby!

Still get home occasionally to go to a game with my dad - hope Iā€™ll get to it again some time soon.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, November 26, 2020, 6:16pm; Reply: 31
ok Pete good idea
I've been a Town fan for 49 years

Born in Nairobi in Kenya   My Mum was Belgian and my Dad Scottish After arriving in the uk 7 days before England Won the World Cup July 1966 on my mum's passport  >:( >:(we moved around the country East London, Newcastle, Hexham, Brigg  Finally settling in LOUTH.  First Town game Boxing Day 1969  V Bradford PA. then a gap till 71-72  where going to BP became regular First Season ticket 74-75 I left the area in 1978 to go and work in London Obviously my passion for the mariners continued I move back in Aug 79  and we all know it was season to remember.Back to London May 1980 I was a ST holder for about 23 years In the mid 80"s help form the London Mariners exiles( no mobiles in those days ) this coincided with AB  the messiah great times and Great football. Ive seen Town at every ground apart from White hart Lane and Old Trafford (old school 92) I still support the Mariners and probably attend 25 to 30 games a season I take my Daughter to Town games and still meet and sometimes travel with  the small network of loyal Town fans ;D that live and work in London UTM
Posted by: Eastendmariner, November 26, 2020, 6:18pm; Reply: 32
I hop yr keeping well and Safe Tanga  >:( >:(
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 26, 2020, 6:19pm; Reply: 33
Well done Pete a great way to hear from  all the exiles and their stories

After reading Bottesford Mariners post it got me thinking how many others came from Fleetwood to Grimsby for the fish - my mamā€™s parents so my grandparents came from Fleetwood across to Grimsby and thatā€™s how I ended up I guess being a Grimbarian rather than a Lancashire lad!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 26, 2020, 6:31pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Born in Brigg.
Leeds Uni (Gary Lund's girlfriend [now wife apparently] was also there, a couple of times I had the surreal experience of him catching the same train after the game - nice guy, now an estate agent that plays alot of golf...)
From age 23 on - Lancashire (Burnley then Preston)
Manchester 7 years
Limerick 5 years (about a mile from the Waters ancestral home) - became a county cricketer - County Limerick - about Brigg Town 2nd XI standard.
Leicestershire - Melton Mowbray...

It doesnā€™t surprise me Gary plays a lot of golf heā€™s a bit older than me but I went to school with his brothers Kevin and Ian and Gary was good at every sport and quite clever too!!

Before being an exile I lived on the East Marsh up until the late 80s then in Cleethorpes.

Then due to work via...

- Hull
- Newcastle
- Sussex (various)
- London (various)
- Watford
- MK

We ended up in every Town supporters ā€œfavourite Townā€ ....... Stevenage šŸ˜‰ as it used to be relatively cheap and 20 odd minutes into St Pancras. Itā€™s a grade 1 sh1t hole but Iā€™ve seen much worse.

Still a STH (when allowed) and get to many away trips.

UTM!!

Posted by: Bigboy, November 26, 2020, 6:37pm; Reply: 35
Born 1949 at home in Carr Lane.  Barcroft Street junior school then Clee Grammar. Could always tell when town scored as could hear the crowd noise so clearly. At first my father would not let me go as he was worried I would be exposed to bad language!  When I did start going my heroes were Matt Tees and Rodney Green as well as Ron Cockerill and Charlie Wright - a very good keeper and great entertainer. Did catch the end of Ron Rafferty career - surely the best header of a ball I ever saw.  Went to UMIST (Manchester) then to London to work for engineering company who I stayed with all my working life (often overseas) before retiring 5 years ago.  Moved to Reading when company relocated from London in 1974 - and still here - so have lived here most of my life - but never did really regard it as home.  Wife, son and daughter all support Reading and wife is secretary to Reading supporters trust.  Years ago I did go to a few games at Elm Park with my son when he was small but really I personally have no interest in any other club but Grimsby Town.  
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 26, 2020, 6:50pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Bigboy
Years ago I did go to a few games at Elm Park with my son when he was small but really I personally have no interest in any other club but Grimsby Town.  

FA Cup 4th round replay in 1989?
Posted by: cardiffmariner, November 26, 2020, 7:23pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Well done Pete a great way to hear from  all the exiles and their stories

After reading Bottesford Mariners post it got me thinking how many others came from Fleetwood to Grimsby for the fish - my mamā€™s parents so my grandparents came from Fleetwood across to Grimsby and thatā€™s how I ended up I guess being a Grimbarian rather than a Lancashire lad!!

My great-great-grandfather left Brixham (Devon)  to join the fishing boom in GY at the start of the 1900s. Have visited Brixham and itā€™s a beautiful part of the world. God knows what he must have thought when he arrived in Grimsby!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 26, 2020, 7:23pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from malkamalka
Born Louth, First Town game v Chelsea aged 7. Still have the old Black and White programme.  Lived Louth and Grimsby till age 21 when I moved to Oz.

Went "bush" for a few years and actually met another Mariner also from Louth. (He actually successfully feigned madness to get himself and his family repatriated to the UK).

Oz that bad then that he did that? šŸ˜†
Posted by: Bigboy, November 26, 2020, 7:26pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Les Brechin

FA Cup 4th round replay in 1989?

No didn't make that Les - my wife was heavily pregnant with son at the time - so perhaps that distracted my attention!

Posted by: Les Brechin, November 26, 2020, 7:42pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Bigboy

No didn't make that Les - my wife was heavily pregnant with son at the time - so perhaps that distracted my attention!

Shame, one of my favourite Town games of all time that.

We gave it our all but when they equalised in the last 10 minutes, we were dead on our feet and there was only going to be one winner.

That was before Kev Jobling pounced on that backpass. The 1500 or so Town fans behind the goal were already celebrated before Jobling shot after he'd rounded the keeper.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 26, 2020, 7:48pm; Reply: 41
Born at home round the corner from Beacon Hill and the Boys Grammar schools (later combined into Matthew Humberston). Siblings all went to Beacon hill but somehow I ended up at Lindsey. First Town game was the 4:3 win v Donny in August 71. Went with sister, brother, grandad and uncles. Stopped going in the mid-70s as I started my teenage rebellion, against teenagers, so missed the glory years.

Went to Uni in Kent in early 80s and got back into Town because the lads I hung round with at college sort of foisted it on me. Back to Kent (Folkestone, fathered a lad called Ira  ;) ) for first ā€˜properā€™ job after graduating. Then moved to St Mary Cray (Orpington, Kent) for job in London. Got married. Worked in London until 2010. Moved to Kingston in mid-90s where I got mixed up with a bunch of Town fans (all on our way back separately from a game at Norwich). Had two kids, got divorced few years later.

Had two more kids, moved to Hampton (just over the river from Kingston). Got a job in Sheffield but job was shite so move back home didnā€™t work out so stayed in Hampton. Moved to New Malden (east of Kingston) 5 years ago. Got married again <2 years ago when missus consented to make an honest man of me. Been working over at Uxbridge for most of last 8 years though WFH this year.

Eldest (son) got the Town bug badly (even though he was a Wimbledon season ticket holder through most of his secondary school). He stayed up in Liverpool after he graduated. Three girls not really into football but have been to quite a lot of town games (decent bogs might entice them back  ;D ;D ).

Chance of moving back now, very slim due to kids and despite being from Finland, the missus finds Grimsby too cold!
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 26, 2020, 7:54pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from BeijingMariner

are you running  away from or to? kidding. see the world

Wanderlust maybe? Dunno. I travel a lot with my job, so maybe that has something to do with it. Thinking of moving to Biarritz sometime in the next few years.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 26, 2020, 7:58pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Eastendmariner
I hop yr keeping well and Safe Tanga  >:( >:(

Hi Rob xx
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 26, 2020, 8:03pm; Reply: 44
I was born in Grimsby but parents moved to North Yorkshire when I was 5. Went to Uni in Hull partly so it would be easy to watch Town then ended up living in Leeds and meeting my wife before moving to Knaresborough four and a half years ago which is where we now live. I have three kids. Daughter is nearly two but my lads who are 7 and 5 are big town fans and have watched every league game this season on ifollow though they can't wait to get back to BP. Have just bollocked the 7 year old as we are giving away an old pine dining table and when I got under it to take it apart I spotted 'We are Town' scrawled on the underside in felt tip. I was secretly delighted though.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 26, 2020, 8:07pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I was born in Grimsby but parents moved to North Yorkshire when I was 5. Went to Uni in Hull partly so it would be easy to watch Town then ended up living in Leeds and meeting my wife before moving to Knaresborough four and a half years ago which is where we now live. I have three kids. Daughter is nearly two but my lads who are 7 and 5 are big town fans and have watched every league game this season on ifollow though they can't wait to get back to BP. Have just bollocked the 7 year old as we are giving away an old pine dining table and when I got under it to take it apart I spotted 'We are Town' scrawled on the underside in felt tip. I was secretly delighted though.

I bet you were bursting with pride! I know I would be šŸ˜†
Posted by: Davec, November 26, 2020, 8:21pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
My dad was born in Grimsby (Durban Road) in the early 1920s and supported Town.  The family sensibly moved closer to BP living on the corner of Ellison St and Grimsby Road.

He married a lass from Mablethorpe and I was brought up there.  Great place to grow up, especially in the summer.  Very few decent jobs though.  Like many friends I moved away from the area. I joined the RAF as an Apprentice at age 16.

Met my future wife whilst stationed at RAF Fylingdales in North Yorkshire.  Bought a house in York as I got a job in the city after demob. Have been married for 38 football seasons now.  Although not sure if the NL seasons should be deducted.  

3 Town fans living here car-share for most home games.  

Was you stationed at Fylindales when they had the 3 massive golf balls? I remember them featuring a lot in Heartbeat.

Posted by: chelseacity, November 26, 2020, 8:27pm; Reply: 47
This is for my brother, he was the lead singer & song writer for his band Exit, after the punk days he formed a new band 'Better mouse trap' they went to London to seek their fame & fortune, after a few years they went their separate ways, my brother stayed down there &
now lives in Islington, he made the Daily Mirror fan of the month in 1973, he travelled to every Grimsby Town home & away game in the 72/73 season. He still goes to all the games in the south & comes home for some of the home games passing the Arsenal stadium wearing his Grimsby scarf & hat on his way to Kings Cross station, our grandma used to live in Suggitts Lane so we would get into see the last 30 mins in those day free, once in your hooked. he is friends with Captain Sensible from the punk band Damned & i also knew a famous lad from Humberston called Rod Temperton who became famous for his band 'Heatwave' & his best written song called 'Thriller by a chap called Michael Jackson.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 26, 2020, 8:37pm; Reply: 48
Fantastic thread
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 26, 2020, 8:56pm; Reply: 49
Might have already been mentioned but surely we're all exiles at the moment!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 26, 2020, 8:59pm; Reply: 50
Yes I was at RAF Fylingdales when the 3 massive golf balls were there.  Locals complained bitterly in 1963 when the golf balls were built.  Said it spoilt the countryside.  

Ironically, when the golf balls were replaced by some ugly towers, there was strong support to keep the original golf balls.  I had a look inside once and they were massive.

In 1963 the snow was very deep and drifted on the moors, the station was cut-off. My father in law worked for RCA there and lead an escape party down to the North Yorkā€™s Moor railway line (as it is now) and to Pickering and safety.  You could also hang a hat on the top of a telegraph pole such were the snow drifts.
Posted by: sutton mariner, November 26, 2020, 8:59pm; Reply: 51
Croydon, nice and easy for palace away a couple years back...

Born in Sutton (Surrey), ended up here via York, Chicago and Wimbledon.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 26, 2020, 9:13pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from sutton mariner
Croydon, nice and easy for palace away a couple years back...

Born in Sutton (Surrey), ended up here via York, Chicago and Wimbledon.

Never lived in the Grimsby area then?

How come you're a Mariner?
Posted by: Bigboy, November 26, 2020, 9:23pm; Reply: 53
Someone mentioned getting in (gates opened to let people out) to see the last 30 mins free.  I used to do that when I had no money.  But something happened in 1967 that cured me of that habit.  A midweek game against Swindon got in 20 mins from end.  Town leading 2-1 and then we got a third.  Game over?  Not so fast! Swindon ran out 4-3 winners. Harry Wainman had mare and gifted them a couple.  Don Rogers got one of them.  He was the one player on the pitch without a spot of mud on his shorts.  Pat Terry (just signed from Reading) scored the winner.  He always seemed to score against us. I still can't forget the disappointment of that night even though it was 53 years ago.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 26, 2020, 9:24pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Les Brechin

Itā€™s the glamour Les. If youā€™ve ever seen Sutton youā€™d understand.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, November 26, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from grimsby pete

Once a mariner always a mariner.

Great post Grimsby Pete

I bet you havenā€™t seen this many ticks since you and Ipswin ran that Suffolk sheep rustling operation šŸ˜¬
Posted by: sutton mariner, November 26, 2020, 9:30pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Itā€™s the glamour Les. If youā€™ve ever seen Sutton youā€™d understand.

Pahaha moving on up
Posted by: Masirah Mariner, November 26, 2020, 9:31pm; Reply: 57
Made in the 80ā€™s, grew up Durban Road, Wybers and Healing. It kinda got further away from then on in but Grimsby will always be home. Lived in South Africa for nearly 5 yrs, stayed in Saudi Arabia 4 yrs, and most recently stayed in Oman 3.5 yrs. Affectionately nicknamed soutpiel in South Africa, Iā€™ve always loved heading back during the festive season to catch a few Town games with my friends and old man. Unfortunately Covid has put a temporary stop to that.

I always pack a Mighty Mariner in my suitcase and like to leave them on my travels. Some of the furthest Iā€™ve left one is Margaritaville in Cancun, Flames bar in Bredasdorp and Sky bar Kuala Lumpur. If theyā€™re still there I claim them as mascot exiles!
Posted by: sutton mariner, November 26, 2020, 9:31pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Les Brechin

No mate - Dadā€™s a town fan and his side of the family are up there. I spend more time up there than him now!
Posted by: sydney, November 26, 2020, 9:51pm; Reply: 59
Central Sleaford Now
Previously Spalding Area
Previously Boston
Before that Spilsby
Born and brought up on Nunny And Scaffa
Uncle used to have the hitching rail pub off freemo
He Took me to my first game when I was 6 in the Barrettā€™s stand
Ex Father in law was beedies on the docks
Followed town since home and away
Used to live near mike Brolley šŸ‘šŸ‘
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, November 26, 2020, 10:18pm; Reply: 60
Born in Nunsthorpe maternity home in 1979. Grew up around the fiveways area. Went to uni in Hertfordshire in 2001. After uni I stayed in Hertfordshire, working in Hatfield & living in St Albans until 2015. Changed jobs in 2015 witch resulted in me having to move A LOT.

Carmarthen, Wales 2015-2016
Laugharne, Wales 2016 - 2017
Islington, London - 2017 - 2018
Exeter, Devon - 2018 - 2019
Hull - (only for 3 months thank god)
Camden, London - 2019-2020
Back in Grimsby -  April 2020 - Until Covid felicitations off and I can go back to work in London
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 26, 2020, 10:20pm; Reply: 61
Born in Louth in the 60s and lived in the wilds of the Wolds till I left Uni.  Have lived in London since I started work 32 years ago, mostly in south west London.  Handy for all those Wembley games!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 26, 2020, 10:21pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner
Born in Nunsthorpe maternity home in 1979. Grew up around the fiveways area. Went to uni in Hertfordshire in 2001. After uni I stayed in Hertfordshire, working in Hatfield & living in St Albans until 2015. Changed jobs in 2015 witch resulted in me having to move A LOT.

Back in Grimsby -  April 2020 - Until Covid felicitations off and I can go back to work in London

Kinell your contracts must have been shorter than the average Town player.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 26, 2020, 10:27pm; Reply: 63
I am finding all these posts very interesting reading thank you all keep them coming.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 26, 2020, 10:35pm; Reply: 64
Born in Crowtree Lane in Louth, within a shanked 7 iron of the second fairway at Louth Golf Club, Iā€™ve only ever lived in Tetney and Covenham so can barely be called an exile. Weā€™ve now gone from two season tickets (me and eldest) to three (me and both) to four (me, wife and both). Favourite Town moments include being in the 22000 against Exeter, various amazing cup runs to Wembley 2016. Nathanā€™s goal still makes me cry now- letā€™s hope we never have to do non league ever again. Utm
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, November 26, 2020, 10:36pm; Reply: 65

Kinell your contracts must have been shorter than the average Town player.

Same contract all the way through. Basically, I get put into live music venues that have failed or are badly failing, fix them, then get moved on to the next one to fix. Sod's law, I was meant to be settling permanently at one venue in London from March this year, then covid happened.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, November 26, 2020, 10:44pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am finding all these posts very interesting reading thank you all keep them coming.

This is better than Test & Trace

Are you moonshooting for Serco? šŸ˜¬
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 26, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner

Carmarthen (caerfyddrin) is a lovely part of wales. What did you do there?
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, November 26, 2020, 11:11pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Carmarthen (caerfyddrin) is a lovely part of wales. What did you do there?

Managed a few uni venues in mid, south, and north wales but based myself in Carmarthenshire.
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, November 26, 2020, 11:25pm; Reply: 69
Born and raised in Grimsby, went to Welholme and Wintringham. First town match in 1972.
Now live in Todmorden, surrounded by Burnley fans.
When I first moved her I got a fox fur hat with a big bush fox tail hanging down the back.
A guy stopped me in the street and asked why I was wearing it and I told him that when I told my friends I was moving to Todmorden they said wear the fox hat
Posted by: Alkalineroger, November 26, 2020, 11:30pm; Reply: 70
Iā€™ll join in suppose Iā€™m an exile, though the border to the very southern tip of Lincolnshire is only a 5 minute drive away itā€™s still the best part of a 2 hour drive.
Born the son of a docker in 1979 in cleethorpes and lived in Immingham til I left.
First game in 1992 in the Buckley era, was hooked from then on.
Attended when lifts allowed but for a lot of my childhood it was the voice on John Tondeur.
Moved to Lincoln in 1999 for no good reason.
Moved back to Immingham in mid 2000 and started working for a railfreight company in October 2000, full time employment was the start of attending as many games as shifts would allow.
Moved to Doncaster in 2001 with work but still enjoyed the short drive to the football.
When my dad retired he regained his love for grimsby having not attended since he was young and we became season ticket holders along with my nephew and my other half who is now a committed town fan., Iā€™ll never forget the first time he came to a game with me and seemed to recognise and say hello to almost everyone as we walked in.
Started working in Peterborough in 2015 and moved there in 2016 but kept a season ticket until he became ill in 2018, attendances became sporadic away games until he passed away in 2019 and Iā€™m still to attend a home game since.
Currently in Murrow in Cambridgshire which isnā€™t as glamorous as some on here.
Being a town fan has always been a thought when Iā€™ve looked at jobs and even now with half an eye to retirement I still canā€™t imagine being too far from town, parking my car and then walking down to a Tuesday night game in November or December is so evocative to me, that first glimpse of the floodlights gets me every time, The club is a massive part of my connection to the area.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, November 26, 2020, 11:39pm; Reply: 71
Born in Nunsthorpe maternity in 1978, first year lived at Killingholme but then moved to Cleethorpes. Got into football in the mid 80s so my dad would take me to reserve team games if we were playing one of the bigger first division reserve teams, I suppose because it had an element of glamour and was cheap. I remember a proper freezing night watching Liverpool reserves put 5 or 6 past our reserves. Massively lucky that I started hoing to watch the first team as Buckley came in so came of age watching some absolutely beautiful football.

Schooled at Middlethorpe, Lindsey and then onto Grimsby College through to Lincoln University in the late 90s/early 2000's. Briefly came back home but then moved to Manchester as I had friends there and loads more opportunities there job wise, socially, gigwise. Worked at the Commonwealth Games and then onto the same company I'm still working for to this day working with various football clubs and sports organisations. Moved to Warrington as my future wife lived there and the houses are more reasonably priced whilst being easily commutable to Manchester in despite of Northern Rails often abysmal service.

The last season ticket I had at BP was the season we went down to the conference. Been going mostly to away games when I have the chance to, with maybe 2 or 3 home games a season. Still proud to be Town and always find people at work who support the bigger clubs look out for Town results to have a chat about come Monday morning.
Posted by: Norseman, November 27, 2020, 12:23am; Reply: 72
Born 56. Lived on the yarborough estate. Moved to limerick where my dad was from.Mam brought us back about 72. Various jobs all over fishing, merchant navy,. Moved to perth oz, Came back to good old Gy. Living happily back in my home town
Posted by: Norseman, November 27, 2020, 12:24am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Norseman
Born 56. Lived on the yarborough estate. Moved to limerick where my dad was from.Mam brought us back about 72. Various jobs all over fishing, merchant navy,. Moved to perth oz, Came back to good old Gy. Living happily back in my home town

Posted by: livosnose, November 27, 2020, 1:03am; Reply: 74
Left Keelby aged 18 went out Uni , lived in Mallorca , Gran Canaria , Bingley , Saltaire (Shipley) and now Grand Cayman. Pretty sure Iā€™m never coming back.
Posted by: perthgeoff, November 27, 2020, 1:20am; Reply: 75
Born in Westwoodside,a small village near Epworth,in 1930. Moved to Scunthorpe in 1936 when Dad got a job at Appleby Frodingham steel works.During the war the Mariners played their home games at the Old Show Ground inScunthorpe where I became an instant fan and have followed them with a passion ever since.In 1946 moved to Stockport again because of dad`s work but attended many games around the area to follow Grimsby.Emigrated to Perth,western Australia in 1961 with my family but have always always visited Blundell Park on my many returns to the UK and am still as passionate about the Mariners as in my younger days.and will not change,nor do I want to.
Posted by: lukeo, November 27, 2020, 6:15am; Reply: 76
Born and bred in Grimsby and lived in the same house in the willows Estate for 23 years (my mum is still their now)

Moved down to Devon to be with a woman. 1 child, 9 years and 8 'homes' later I'm now living alone just south of Taunton in a nice village, living above someone's double garage.

Everyone who knows me down here knows me as a Grimsby fan as I make it quite clear they're the only team I'll ever support.

UTM
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 27, 2020, 8:48am; Reply: 77
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Born in Crowtree Lane in Louth, within a shanked 7 iron of the second fairway at Louth Golf Club, Iā€™ve only ever lived in Tetney and Covenham so can barely be called an exile. Weā€™ve now gone from two season tickets (me and eldest) to three (me and both) to four (me, wife and both). Favourite Town moments include being in the 22000 against Exeter, various amazing cup runs to Wembley 2016. Nathanā€™s goal still makes me cry now- letā€™s hope we never have to do non league ever again. Utm

Sledging at Hubbard Hills ?
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 27, 2020, 9:03am; Reply: 78
Born in Wainfleet my dad used to take me to see the mariners from age of 8  .4 mile bike ride to Firsby Station catch King Cross-Cleethorpes at Firsby off at Cleethorpes to the ground ,returned back  fish and chips at Suttons of Wainfleet on coal fired range(know this is heresy but much better than Cleethorpes ) only is was raining fast of exceptionally cold did we catch train at Wainflleet.

At age of 18 went to Teesside Polytechnic liven in Redcar and Saltburn, after that moved back worked at Joe Corals for a bit (only job I could get) often at Scarthoe branch as relief manager.Bought business in Friskney spent 10 years there ,went back to Hull University to take Masters Degree,Worked at L.C.C. moved to Spalding 15 years there got promoted to live  to H.Q. at Lincoln refused to live in City of Dammed,was there 14 years took early retirement/redundancy in 2012 after austerity and spending cuts made job impossible.Sued County Council they settled out of court  been retired and taking authority on eversince.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 27, 2020, 9:28am; Reply: 79

Great post Grimsby Pete

I bet you havenā€™t seen this many ticks since you and Ipswin ran that Suffolk sheep rustling operation šŸ˜¬

Please get it right it was 'shagging'
Posted by: Fishbone, November 27, 2020, 9:31am; Reply: 80
Born Grimsby, first five years Heneage Road, school years in Ulceby, back to Town for a year before going to Uni in Hull, followed by .... High Wycombe, Oxford, Bristol, Birmingham, Stroud, Bristol (again), Seaford (E. Sussex)... but always a Mariner. Moved back to Lincs recently (Tealby) and was looking forward to seeing Town play more often.... ??)
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 27, 2020, 9:33am; Reply: 81
Born Croft Baker Maternity in 63 but family moved to Scunny when I was about 2 or 3 I think. Brought up there so unfortunately I see it as my home town really as no memories of living in Grimsby at all. Dads side of family all Town fans and started being taken in 72 and by 1980 I  was stewarding, I think I only missed 1 home game in all my teenage years.
Moved to Stoke in 85 (The city is a dump) to marry a Stokie lass (Vale family, I could see the Vale Park floodlights from our bedroom window on night games), but you must try cheese & bacon oatcakes if you can) . Son of and Younger Son of appeared 89/91. Then moved to the village of Madeley a few miles out of Town on Cheshire border and still there.
Only got to odd games in the late 80s/90s due to lack of funds/decent motor. Went to couple of Vale and Stoke games with friends I made locally in the first couple of years in Stoke but wasn't interested. Fun memory of catching bus home with Town scarf tightly hidden after that 0-0 draw with Stoke in the 80s which was mentioned on another thread the other day. Watched a lot of our games on teletext,  :P but managed to get to all but one Wembley game over the years. Get to about a 15 games a year home/away now usually with Son Of.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 27, 2020, 9:39am; Reply: 82
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Born in Horncastle. Lived (Waltham) and worked in Grimsby until 1990 moved to Stoke on Trent for work. Currently living in Newcastle under-Lyme (it's the posh end of Stoke).
First real Town game was against Everton in the cup (Brolly 2) and then never left the Barrats Stand.
My son never succumbed to supporting Stoke/Man Utd and has supported Town with me since 4 years old poor thing
Do alot of away games and a few home games and hope for better times ahead for us all.

Just down the 525 from me then.
Posted by: buckstown, November 27, 2020, 9:58am; Reply: 83
What a great thread this is, loving the glow of nostalgia. Few mentions of the yarborough estate where I grew up on Newsham Drive until getting married in 1977
Whenever we're in Grimsby I always go and look at my mum and dads old house on Newsham Drive, so imagine the shock when I rocked up one day to find the whole estate flattened. Don't think the estate was quite 50 years old when it was demolished and the prefabs on Nunsthorpe outlived it. Thinking someone made a few quid somewhere??
Posted by: wuffing, November 27, 2020, 9:59am; Reply: 84
Well, I've really enjoyed reading these posts. Fascinating how people move about in life.
Cheers all
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 27, 2020, 10:08am; Reply: 85

You could print a little book with all these stories in it couldn't you, even a bigger one with all 92 clubs in it.

Best seller   ;)
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 27, 2020, 10:15am; Reply: 86
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Just down the 525 from me then.

Yes that's right! I know someone who supports Town in Crewe. Almost enough for a committee lol!!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 27, 2020, 10:17am; Reply: 87
Quoted from promotion plaice

You could print a little book with all these stories in it couldn't you, even a bigger one with all 92 clubs in it.

Best seller   ;)

Maybe GrimRob  would like to publish another book based on this.  8)

I am sure it would sell well , I would buy a copy . ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 27, 2020, 10:26am; Reply: 88
Quoted from grimsby pete

Maybe GrimRob  would like to publish another book based on this.  8)

I am sure it would sell well , I would buy a copy . ;D

Will you be on commission Pete?   8)

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 27, 2020, 11:11am; Reply: 89
What do you think 10% or  20% ?  ;)
Posted by: Mayaman, November 27, 2020, 11:27am; Reply: 90
Quoted from buckstown
Born and bred in Grimsby and spent most of my childhood on the Yarborough estate. Worked for Findus (as my dad did) but moved to the north east for work in 1982 living in Whitley Bay and Tynemouth.
Moved south to work for Quaker Oats in 1990 and been living in Hazlemere near High Wycombe ever since. Last full time job was working for Nestle's pet food division, then did some part time self employed before throwing in the towel 3 years ago
Still enjoy visiting Grimsby for football and a beer in the Notts. My kids and grandsons are town fans so long may that continue

I lived 6 years in Wycombe.  started in about 86 and then went back 89-94.  If you played Sunday league we could have been on the same pitch .
Posted by: Mayaman, November 27, 2020, 11:33am; Reply: 91
Quoted from malkamalka

Was on a budget trip to Oz and I went to get my head shaved.  WHen he told me the price, I said. "No thanks mate, I am on a budget"  As I was walking out the door he called me and asked who I supported.  I told him I was a Town fan and he said, "I'll do it for half price".  He came from Caistor.

Posted by: Mayaman, November 27, 2020, 11:53am; Reply: 92
I was born in 67 in Croft Baker.  I grew up near People's Park.  My cousin took me to my first Town came and I was hooked.  My dad wasn't into footie so my uncle took me to the Mike Brolly 2 V Everton 1 game.  As soon as I was old enough to go myself, I did,  Every home game.  

I joined the RAF and moved around a bit.  A pattern repeated to this dead 36 years later. When I got out I moved to High Wycombe.  I spent 5 years there.  My best mate was a Sheff U fan so we either went to a Town game or a Sheff Utd. game.  We also went as neutrals to Brentford, QPR and followed non-league Marlow.  Never really liked Wycombe Wanderers.  

When I got made redundant I started teaching English as a foreign language and moved to Mexico.  I Followed a local team in Queretaro until I moved to Mexico City.  I used to bus across town to get a newspaper that had reports on Town's game. After that I moved back to London and watched GTFC when they were in or around the capital - including '98.  Then I hit the road again. Costa Rica (followed La Liga), Spain (Real Betis), Poland (nobody), Germany (miles from human habitation, let alone a football ground), Istanbul (went to one Besiktas game which turned into a full scale riot), Sri Lanka (no footie), Malaysia (meh) and now Vietnam.  I go to watch most games with a Crewe fan - i've lost a few bets regarding his time and mine.  He does have a lot of contacts so we get in a lot of sporting events free.  Go to most home games and been to a few away games, including a cup tie in Thailand.  If I go out on a Saturday night , I'm usually home for ifollow, which many cannot understand.  Am I mad?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 27, 2020, 12:40pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Good lad! He's got his head screwed on hasn't he... I'd give him some extra pocket money if I were you!    ;)

The "We are Town" phrase is one I relate to.... I was fortunate enough to be a face in the crowd on the front cover of the book of that name ( photo of us when we invaded Plough Lane 18-2-89 )

I know it sounds a bit maudlin but when I finally shuffle off this mortal coil, if they do a programme for the funeral, that would be my choice of cover, as long as it's not breaching any copyright!

Don't want anyone suing my estate! :D  

Best make sure I let the kids know too!   ;D

UTM GTID
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 27, 2020, 1:10pm; Reply: 94
I was born in Peterborough (in a pub) and moved to Skeggy as a toddler.

Dad took me to my first game which was the Sheff Utd championship winning game in 1980 and was hooked from then. Went on a regular basis through then and when at Uni in Sheffield before the family moved back to Peterborough which is where I have been for the last 25 years.

Life and family now mean that I get to a max of 4 or 5 games a year but try and make at least one trip a year to BP.

Always proud to be a Mariner and always proud to tell people who I support and will be until the last nail goes in.

UTMM
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 27, 2020, 1:25pm; Reply: 95
I have found this fascinating Pete, thanks for posting the thread.

A couple of things stand out for me. there are a lot of uni graduates amongst the exiles. I suppose it makes sense though in earlier times more graduates seemed to come back to the area to work in the management of the big local food and fish firms that are no longer around. The other is the frequency with which the name Clee Grammar crops up. Again perhaps not surprising. The Old Humberstonians is I believe still thriving.

On the subject of the latter, I remember Jimmy Fell, another Old Humberstonian, was about to be transferred to Everton but had been invited to play for the Old Boys against the school XI in the annual fixture. The school side were threatened by Owen Roberts before the game not to foul Jimmy or do anything to damage him!

Jim was of course another one who was drawn back to the area at the end of his career like many others including Matt Tees. I was such a fan of Matt's that "Matt Tees For King" appeared on every school  notebook of mine in 1964/5 and then at uni after that. It even found its way to the bottom of my mock A level History answer paper.

Posted by: Heswall Mariner, November 27, 2020, 1:30pm; Reply: 96
Born in Louth due to outbreak of some virus in Cleethorpes. Lived in Reynolds St. backing on to the Rec. Moved to Cheshire when my Dad changed from working for the Gas Board to MANWEB.
Always used to come to Clee though for Summer hols. etc & stay with my Aunt in Crow Hill Ave. Still associate those days with blue sea & sky, golden sands & that  freezing cold swimming pool - that last bit is probably the only thing that was fact!.
First game  7-2 v Leyton Orient in '57. From then on I have remained in cloud cuckoo land & still half expect that sort of result every week Not been to BP for some time but  I have seen us in many grounds around the N.West - including unlikely venues like Rhyl & Runcorn.
Would probably gone to Tranmere last Saturday if not for Covid stuff - so every cloud has a silver lining.
Another  Saturday without a game this week - but hey ho I feel another 7 - 2 v Exeter on Tuesday eh?
Posted by: WesternMariner, November 27, 2020, 1:36pm; Reply: 97
Iā€™d noticed that about the graduates as well Ron - Iā€™m one who went away and got work in Lancashire and Liverpool but then moved back to good old Gy - professionally the worst move I ever made but all my and the wifeā€™s family were still here and you canā€™t beat grandparents as baby sitters! Did mean I could get to BP however although working weekends meant not as often as I would like to. Covid has made me realise that life is short and when we can get back to the football Iā€™m going to make sure I work less and watch more!
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 27, 2020, 1:53pm; Reply: 98
I think in my case as a graduate I had to be very transient. I made the conscious decision I was Lincolnshire born and bred and after 3 years on Teesside was not going to live out of area again.Over the years that has probably cost me thousands,but I always put my mental health first.Supporting Town has given me some sense of belonging and continuity and has kept me grounded .
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 27, 2020, 2:00pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from friskneymariner
I think in my case as a graduate I had to be very transient. I made the conscious decision I was Lincolnshire born and bred and after 3 years on Teesside was not going to live out of area again.Over the years that has probably cost me thousands,but I always put my mental health first.Supporting Town has given me some sense of belonging and continuity and has kept me grounded .

And your mental health has been helped by supporting GTFC? Amazing!! ;)
Posted by: WesternMariner, November 27, 2020, 2:17pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from friskneymariner

I know exactly what you mean - I never feel more at home than being in the Pontoon near some old fella whoā€™s spent the whole match moaning and swearing at our own players - Grimsby folk are my kind of people šŸ˜‰

Posted by: norfuk mariner, November 27, 2020, 2:25pm; Reply: 101
Grimsby born in 1950. Went to my first match in 1957. My grandfather lived in Bramhall Street and he hosted a card game every Saturday at 12.30 attended by my father and at least four of his brothers, At 2.30 all of us would then walk down to Harrington Street and stand in the open terraces and would attend any and every match at BP whether it was first team, reserves or the youth team who were in the NIL. Same ritual on evening games.

This continued until I married in 1970 . I left Grimsby soon afterwards and quickly had a family. I was moved  almost annually by my employer until the world changed and I then put down roots in Norwich in the 1980's. This meant watching Town at various away games and on family visits. Now retired and I make occasional visits each season with one of my sons and grandson who are GTFC supporters. I hate Norwich City with a passion, we played them on the night of my first sons birth and they stole one of my later day heroes Kevin Drinkell for peanuts! GTFC till I die.

Also lucky enough to get to Colchester to see Vernam's wonder goal. On that night the same as this Tuesday I thought IH had gone mad with his team selection. Very optimistic he will take us places given time.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 27, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from WesternMariner

I know exactly what you mean - I never feel more at home than being in the Pontoon near some old fella whoā€™s spent the whole match moaning and swearing at our own players - Grimsby folk are my kind of people šŸ˜‰

I sit behind the original Waldorf and Statler they should sue the Muppets for copyright.
Posted by: Andy_worldwide_mariner, November 27, 2020, 6:04pm; Reply: 103
Evening all, happy Friday!

I was born in Grimsby in 1984 then raised in Cleethorpes. My first game was Town Vs Sunderland, I think we won 1-0 with Super Clive getting the winner.

I moved to France when I was 21 then worked there for three years before a year in the Netherlands. After that I spent 4 years in various countries with work, including Mexico, Italy, the Canary Islands and Portugal.

I then spent just under two years in Australia before just over 6 months in New Zealand and South East Asia (China, South Korea, Philippines, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Burma). Throughout all my time overseas I followed Town via radio, internet (when possible) and updates from family and friends.

Now I'm in Sheffield and get to games on a much more frequent basis! There's absolutely nothing like fish and chips followed by watching Our team at Blundell Park, nothing like it.

Have a great weekend all. UTM.
Posted by: Meza, November 27, 2020, 6:17pm; Reply: 104
Family originated form Spitalfields\Christ Church (London) and was resident in one of the houses during Jack the Ripper not far from the first murder.

Anyway, family moved to Gorleston \ Great Yarmouth and followed the fishing trade.  Great Grandfather was the oldest fisherman in Grimsby to serve until GOV brought in retirement age.  Then moved to Grimsby.  

I was born at Croft Baker on 22nd Sept 74, went to my first town game when i was 7\8 years old with my dad (imperial corner) and i think it was against Swansea around 82/83.  Then really started to follow town when i was in the last year at secondary school (90's).  

Moved to Lincoln 2 years after i met my wife and before our first child was born (i met her Installing her NTL cable)....literally haha  ;), that was 20 years ago.  Still played Sunday League footy whilst living in Lincoln for the Cricketers and we won the Div 4 title (good times hey Les Brechin)

Family name - Redgrift (anyone know any of us)?
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, November 27, 2020, 6:20pm; Reply: 105
I was born in High Wycombe but my family are from Alford and ran the bakers there for years and years. My grandad moved to Gravesend Kent in the early 70's to teach which is where I grew up, I lived on and off with him for years until 17. He would take me to games in the area so Gillingham, Charlton, Orient etc. i first started going Two games on my own in the mid 80's. My first ever game was in October 1979 at Gillingham (1-0 win). I watch Town as much as I can away from home and pop up a few times a year to home games and find a B&B the night before near the station.

Moved to Bristol in 1994 after meeting the mrs and we live in South Gloucestershire these days.

My lad Fin, now 11, follows Town and 9 times out of 10 comes with me and he's been mascot at a couple of games and we had a morning on Soccer AM couple years back.  His mates don't quite get it.

I've met some great lifelong friends travelling to games and we have a healthy group of Exiles here in the South/SW (130+ on our Facebook page) and we often meet on the train and/or in the pub!

Wembley 98 (the first one) was my best day supporting Town and Burton the worst. I actually enjoyed some of the conference away days (Barnet and FGR were memorable) but not the football.

I own an original Adidas shirt :)

I believe we'll be back and Covid has dealt us a harsher blow than many other clubs, Ollie with time (and some cash!) will make a difference.

UTM

Posted by: friskneymariner, November 27, 2020, 6:44pm; Reply: 106
Just realised we've  all  fallen for GrimRob's cunning plan, he now has ready made obituaries for us all.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 27, 2020, 6:49pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Meza
Family originated form Spitalfields\Christ Church (London) and was resident in one of the houses during Jack the Ripper not far from the first murder.

Anyway, family moved to Gorleston \ Great Yarmouth and followed the fishing trade.  Great Grandfather was the oldest fisherman in Grimsby to serve until GOV brought in retirement age.  Then moved to Grimsby.  

I was born at Croft Baker on 22nd Sept 74, went to my first town game when i was 7\8 years old with my dad (imperial corner) and i think it was against Swansea around 82/83.  Then really started to follow town when i was in the last year at secondary school (90's).  

Moved to Lincoln 2 years after i met my wife and before our first child was born (i met her Installing her NTL cable)....literally haha  ;), that was 20 years ago.  Still played Sunday League footy whilst living in Lincoln for the Cricketers and we won the Div 4 title (good times hey Les Brechin)

Family name - Redgrift (anyone know any of us)?

Wonder if you played for the "Crick's" when my sister was the land lady?...šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
Posted by: Meza, November 27, 2020, 6:50pm; Reply: 108
dont know about any of you guys but would be great to actually meet some of you face to face maybe like some form of school reunion lol.  All this talk of family and made me feel a bit nostalgic.

I'd be up to meet for chat and a few beers (once its safe).
Posted by: Meza, November 27, 2020, 6:51pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Wonder if you played for the "Crick's" when my sister was the land lady?...šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Well the Cricks was run by Chris Smith at the time, so not sure who Chris's Mrs was Les Brechin might know.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 27, 2020, 6:53pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Meza

Well the Cricks was run by Chris Smith at the time, so not sure who Chris's Mrs was Les Brechin might know.

She had the pub from 87 through to 92 before moving on to Lloyds..
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 27, 2020, 6:56pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from WesternMariner

I had a choice of Leeds. Newcastle and some southern uni. I admit that proximity to BP and train cost affected my choosing Leeds. This was the Joe Water peak era after all - our best in my 50yrs following. I agree about Grimsby folk although I did feel a little bit of a "neither nowt nor summat" outsider sometimes - both at Uni and back in North Lincs. At Uni I was a bit of an uncultured roughneck compared to the posh private school lot - no coincidence that most of my friends were of northern grammar school stock. Back in Gy during the long uni holidays I worked in the veg processing factories - and got the pish ripped out of me by those hardened on deck in the arctic and dockers who lost their livelihoods and ended up on pea processing lines - to them I was the blond (now bald as stone) posh-boy. The east midlanders are alright but civilisation stops at Market Harborough for me...
Posted by: Meza, November 27, 2020, 7:09pm; Reply: 112

She had the pub from 87 through to 92 before moving on to Lloyds..

Ah it was 2004 so would have been later.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 27, 2020, 7:14pm; Reply: 113
Born in GY hospital instead of Louth as my mum went into labour just outside GY on way home from shopping for baby gear in Town and the old man turned round quick . Looks better on birth certificate and probably set destiny for my allegiance.
Grew up in Scamblesby , a hot bed for football. Aged 10 told my dad I wanted to go to a match . He had no idea about football. Just horse racing and boxing . Once saw him batter a taxi driver in Horncastle aged about 6 . He told me not to tell my mum . I never have . Heā€™s dead now so it doesnā€™t matter if she finds out  !  
First game v Bradford in 86 . He didnā€™t care about the football but loved the fans banter so he kept taking me until I was about 13 then said he couldnā€™t be bothered anymore and I could get a bus from Louth . Loads better at that age I soon found out . Amazing who would sell you beers !! First 2 seasons relegated under Lyons and Bobby Roberts btw . Still didnā€™t give up . Good job as idve missed the Kings glory years .
Eyes very much opened in the ponny from my sheltered upbringing in the wolds . Even witnessed a lad shagging his bird at the back behind the scaffolding poles .
Went to King Edwards school in Louth , most my friends departed to university but such was my obsession with all things gtfc I decided not to go to university as Iā€™d miss too many games .
However ended up moving to US for a years work on a farm followed by 3 years in Ely , Cambs before a few years back in Louth.
Met a Croydon girl and moved down in 2006 living in East Grinstead, Sussex  . Moved to an eccentric village called Forest Row full of eco warriors and Scientologists in 2014 and will probably stay here for good . Been a trucker for 15 years , currently hauling livestock. Parked up at Sedgefield Market for all you SW Mariners .
Get to as many away games across the south as possible . Only a couple of home games a season unfortunately but BP will always be my spiritual home . Going to the imp at 11 and falling out at 2:55 and then taking the highs and lows of 90 mins are my happiest memories .
We are Town
Posted by: Ipswin, November 27, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Once saw him batter a taxi driver in Horncastle aged about 6 .  

Bloody hell Horncastle taxi drivers start young

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 27, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Ipswin

Bloody hell Horncastle taxi drivers start young

They didnā€™t need a driving licence for a horse and cart šŸ˜‚
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 27, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from chelseacity
This is for my brother, he was the lead singer & song writer for his band Exit, after the punk days he formed a new band 'Better mouse trap' they went to London to seek their fame & fortune, after a few years they went their separate ways, my brother stayed down there &
now lives in Islington, he made the Daily Mirror fan of the month in 1973, he travelled to every Grimsby Town home & away game in the 72/73 season. He still goes to all the games in the south & comes home for some of the home games passing the Arsenal stadium wearing his Grimsby scarf & hat on his way to Kings Cross station, our grandma used to live in Suggitts Lane so we would get into see the last 30 mins in those day free, once in your hooked. he is friends with Captain Sensible from the punk band Damned & i also knew a famous lad from Humberston called Rod Temperton who became famous for his band 'Heatwave' & his best written song called 'Thriller by a chap called Michael Jackson.

Is that Mick Taylor per chance? Last time I bumped into him was away at Barnet a couple of seasons ago.
Posted by: Connecticut Mariner, November 27, 2020, 10:45pm; Reply: 117
Born at Louth Hospital the only houses I remember were in Cleethorpes - when to Thrunscoe Infants, Bursar St and then Clee Grammar but our year/class moved to Beacon Hill when Comprehensive Education was introduced. First Town game was versus Bradford Park Ave on Boxing Day 1969 - ended in 2-2 draw - went with my mate and his Dad. We applied for re-election that year but I remember the heady days about 10 years later when we were near the top of Division 2 (now Championship).

Went to Aston University and the joined Boots in Nottingham in early 80's. Went to US for 6 month assignment when we acquired Clearasil in 2000. Went through divorce and ended up staying in US and marrying a lady from Texas. Retired from Boots 5 years ago when they moved the office from Connecticut to Wall Street (a Trump building) in New York (2+ hour commute each way).

Don't get to see Town much these days by follow their results and the banter on here!
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, November 28, 2020, 12:31am; Reply: 118
Born in 1972 in bedsit in Surrey of all places after parents dashed back from Africa (long story). Forced them to move north when I was 12 months old, lodged in Cawthorpe then North Somercotes. Moved to Louth at six. Headed to Lincoln with dad and two friends for a random first match for my birthday when I was 11ish, heard on local radio on the way it was cancelled due to rain and waterlogged pitch, turned round, went to Town instead, never looked back. Uni in York, back home on dole doing voluntary work for a year, then went back to York for 1st proper job, then Leeds, then Sheffield hospitals ever since. Both my boys are Wednesday fans but come to Blundell Park with me out of sympathy. Friends have all left Lincs, sister no longer with us, parents are both elderly and very ill, but it'll always be home.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 28, 2020, 8:21am; Reply: 119
A fascinating thread this, a real insight into the story of so many faceless posters.  :)
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 28, 2020, 9:47am; Reply: 120
Quoted from Les Brechin
A fascinating thread this, a real insight into the story of so many faceless posters.  :)
Lifelong commitment comes through in every post.  We have one of the strongest exile networks for a club of our level; everywhere I've lived in this country I've come across a Grimsby fan nearby. Almost seems like the degree of separation thing; everyone knows somebody who knows somebody who supports Grimsby. Even the Queen - John Major - Norman Lamont! I wonder if it will be as strong in 20 years time when the "McMenemy" generation are starting to fade away...

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 28, 2020, 9:58am; Reply: 121
Good question Limerick. I think as long as GY doesnā€™t have a university, there will always be exiles. A big % of those graduates wonā€™t come back as GY isnā€™t a big administrative centre, doesnā€™t have much in the way of central government agencies based there, and few large company HQs. Depending on relative economic performance of Grimsby, there will be more or fewer exiles as people have to move for work.

Kudos to Pete for kicking this thread off.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 28, 2020, 10:08am; Reply: 122
Grimsby has always been a place to move from, not so much to move to, which is understandable, given that it didn't have much to attract people here, apart from the fishing, which is how my Dad ended up here, having moved from Scarborough. Fishing is mainly lost now, though it may have a bit of a resurgence, depending on the deal we get from Brexit. The energy sector will also hopefully blossom.

I've often thought of moving away, but never got round to it for one reason or another. I quite like living in Clee now though.

Finding this thread fascinating.
Posted by: Withnail, November 28, 2020, 10:09am; Reply: 123
Born Nunsthorpe maternity hospital in 1974.

Grew up in Grimsby. First game I vividly remember going to was Chelsea at home when Kerry Dixon scored to clinch them the old Second Division title. It was a school friend's birthday so his dad took about half a dozen of us to the game but conscious of the fact there would be some bother had parked what seemed like miles from the ground. "Just around the next corner lads..." I remember him repeatedly telling us while urging us not give the Chelsea fans any funny looks on the way into the ground. We were about nine/ten at the time!

I remember the Chelsea fans being ejected from one of the home stands and staring with dead eyes at us (in the Osmond I think?) as they were filed past us by the police.

As kids my grandpa used to take me and my cousin Trawler to games when he came up from London with his parents and brothers.

Remember losing to Norwich in the quarter finals of what was then the Milk Cup and Town fans throwing snowballs at their keeper. Was it Bryan Gunn?

After flirting with Man U as a young kid I dropped them after catching the Mariners bug when Buckley took over. I never had a season ticket but as a teenager attended at least three quarters of home games and a fair few away games.

Then left Gy for university for three years ('93-'96) in London. We had a quality team during this period so went to as many London based games as I could. Drawing 1-1 with West Ham at Upton Park, was memorable, not least as I was with a Hammers supporting friend from uni. He was blown away by the noise and passion of the Town faithful.

I also recall a cracker of a game at Carrow Rd in '95 I think. Finished 2-2. Ivano was head and shoulders above any other player on the park.

Came back to Grimbo where I lived and worked and was at most home games in the 97/98 season. Highlights Fulham in 2nd leg of the play off semi against Fulham and obviously our historic first trip to Wembley and return just days later for our play off triumph.

Left Gy in 2002 to travel the world for seven months.

Moved back down to London (Highbury, Finchley, Highgate, Archway) afterwards where I lived until 2006. This coincided with a downward trajectory for Town. Must admit the  04/05 season is a blur - I'd either lost interest or deliberately blocked it out of my memory. '06 was admittedly memorable. Saw us beat Spurs in an Arsenal pub in Finchley. Went to Cardiff for the play off heartbreak and a dozen league games.

Then moved to Norwich with work, before returning to London (Highgate, Hackney).

Then moved further south first Southampton (coincided with the bloody Salisbury debacle!), then Winchester and now Cirencester - which is handy for Cheltenham, Forest Green and up until recently Swindon.

Before Covid I'd always get back to Gy at least four times a year to see family and friends and try to coincide it with Town at home.

My last game at BP, which seems like an age ago, was Exeter last season back in January. We played very well but lost. My brother in law came up from Somerset for the day (on the Exeter supporters bus, despite being a Yeovil fan) and raved about the northern hospitality and the history of the Main Stand.

Up the Mariners!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 28, 2020, 12:01pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from Withnail

Grew up in Grimsby. First game I vividly remember going to was Chelsea at home when Kerry Dixon scored to clinch them the old Second Division title. It was a school friend's birthday so his dad took about half a dozen of us to the game but conscious of the fact there would be some bother had parked what seemed like miles from the ground. "Just around the next corner lads..." I remember him repeatedly telling us while urging us not give the Chelsea fans any funny looks on the way into the ground. We were about nine/ten at the time!

I remember the Chelsea fans being ejected from one of the home stands and staring with dead eyes at us (in the Osmond I think?) as they were filed past us by the police.

As kids my grandpa used to take me and my cousin Trawler to games when he came up from London with his parents and brothers.

Remember losing to Norwich in the quarter finals of what was then the Milk Cup and Town fans throwing snowballs at their keeper. Was it Bryan Gunn?

After flirting with Man U as a young kid I dropped them after catching the Mariners bug when Buckley took over. I never had a season ticket but as a teenager attended at least three quarters of home games and a fair few away games.

Then left Gy for university for three years ('93-'96) in London. We had a quality team during this period so went to as many London based games as I could. Drawing 1-1 with West Ham at Upton Park, was memorable, not least as I was with a Hammers supporting friend from uni. He was blown away by the noise and passion of the Town faithful.

I also recall a cracker of a game at Carrow Rd in '95 I think. Finished 2-2. Ivano was head and shoulders above any other player on the park.

Came back to Grimbo where I lived and worked and was at most home games in the 97/98 season. Highlights Fulham in 2nd leg of the play off semi against Fulham and obviously our historic first trip to Wembley and return just days later for our play off triumph.

Moved back down to London (Highbury, Finchley, Highgate, Archway) afterwards where I lived until 2006. This coincided with a downward trajectory for Town. Must admit the  04/05 season is a blur - I'd either lost interest or deliberately blocked it out of my memory. '06 was admittedly memorable. Saw us beat Spurs in an Arsenal pub in Finchley. Went to Cardiff for the play off heartbreak and a dozen league games.

Then moved to Norwich with work, before returning to London (Highgate, Hackney).

Then moved further south first Southampton (coincided with the bloody Salisbury debacle!), then Winchester and now Cirencester - which is handy for Cheltenham, Forest Green and up until recently Swindon.

Before Covid I'd always get back to Gy at least four times a year to see family and friends and try to coincide it with Town at home.

My last game at BP, which seems like an age ago, was Exeter last season back in January. We played very well but lost. My brother in law came up from Somerset for the day (on the Exeter supporters bus, despite being a Yeovil fan) and raved about the northern hospitality and the history of the Main Stand.

Up the Mariners!

I remember that Chelsea game vividly - it was obvious there were loads of Chelsea fans in the ground but when they scored the first goal they started celebrating all over the place which kicked off loads of fights. The police and stewards didn't know what to do. For a short period it looked like there might be carnage but it calmed down as Chelsea took control of the game. It's possibly the only time I've wanted Town to lose (we had nothing to play for) so that the whole thing didn't kick off. I remember being p*ssed off at the end that they were on our pitch celebrating.
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, November 28, 2020, 12:19pm; Reply: 125
Lifelong commitment comes through in every post.  We have one of the strongest exile networks for a club of our level; everywhere I've lived in this country I've come across a Grimsby fan nearby. Almost seems like the degree of separation thing; everyone knows somebody who knows somebody who supports Grimsby. Even the Queen - John Major - Norman Lamont! I wonder if it will be as strong in 20 years time when the "McMenemy" generation are starting to fade away...

Not quite exiles. but I've been to Serbia a few times and have often worn my town shirt. I got a bit intrigued as to why loads of random Serbians would instantly recognize my town shirt, so I asked someone why so many people kept coming up to me singing "Grimsby Town FC". Turns out FK Partizan of Belgrade play in black and white stripes & their supports support all English teams that play in black and white stripes by default.
Posted by: scrumble, November 28, 2020, 12:57pm; Reply: 126
Born in Grimsby and grew up in Holton Le Clay. My missus lived Wales, but I met her in Barnsley of all places. Moved In with her ten years ago, and now live in the same town as some of Ben Davies family (I bought one of his match shirts that he gave to them for a local charity auction)

I live close enough to Wrexham so that all  I hear about is Ryan Reynolds and bloody deadpool
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 28, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from Withnail

Up the Mariners!

Me and my postie in Bedford bonded over that Chelsea match. He saw my GTFC welcome mat one day and mentioned he'd been at that game (I was too). Ever since then we always have a chat about footie.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 28, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Withnail

I think the Norwich keeper that day was Chris Woods.

Town fans spend ages that afternoon clearing the pitch of snow and it was only one of a very few to go ahead that night. The lines were painted blue that night too IIRC.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 28, 2020, 1:34pm; Reply: 129
Here we are.

[youtube]yo0CfblBtP8[/youtube]
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 28, 2020, 1:37pm; Reply: 130

I remember that Chelsea game vividly - it was obvious there were loads of Chelsea fans in the ground but when they scored the first goal they started celebrating all over the place which kicked off loads of fights. The police and stewards didn't know what to do. For a short period it looked like there might be carnage but it calmed down as Chelsea took control of the game. It's possibly the only time I've wanted Town to lose (we had nothing to play for) so that the whole thing didn't kick off. I remember being p*ssed off at the end that they were on our pitch celebrating.

Hmmm.... nothing to play for?

Admittedly we were going to be in the same division the following season but we could have finished fourth with a win over Chelsea

IF we had beaten Chelsea though it would have meant Wednesday got the title ( and after the Kev Moore penalty con at Hillsborough that would have added insult to injury ) so maybe it was best all round

Just think though if the play-offs had been introduced then.... you never know we might have made it to the top tier because on our day in the 83-84 season we were as good as or even better than those that got promoted

UTM
Posted by: Withnail, November 28, 2020, 1:39pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from Les Brechin

I think the Norwich keeper that day was Chris Woods.

Town fans spend ages that afternoon clearing the pitch of snow and it was only one of a very few to go ahead that night. The lines were painted blue that night too IIRC.

You're absolutely right Les, it was Chris Woods. I don't remember anything about the game other than the snowballs and the fact we lost.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 28, 2020, 1:43pm; Reply: 132
I remember that Norwich game in 95 that Withnail mentioned. Went up on the train on my own (exilesā€™ burden). Jar at Liverpool St, then cans on the train. Couple in Norwich with my brother whoā€™d come down from home. Great game. Town second in the table that night behind Millwall (who went down that season).

On the way back a young lad with a cockney accent commented as he passed on my Town top. Thought  ā€˜sarky southern gitā€™. Went to the buffet car where I got chatting to him and his mate. Both Town fans - first one was son of an exile. Turns out he lived less than half a mile from where I lived in Kingston where he was a student. Other lad in Putney. Then another bloke turns up ā€˜where you going?ā€™ ā€˜London? Whereabouts, Kingston?ā€™ (Jokingly) ā€˜no Surbitonā€™ (mile down the road!).

Still in touch with the cockney whoā€™s now in Manchester, and I was Surbiton ladā€™s best man last year. Both of us in New Malden now. His stepson is an old friend of SuttonMariner.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 28, 2020, 3:26pm; Reply: 133
[/quote]

[/quote]

2006 I was in Spain for that play off final.   I called the Irish pub ans asked the if they'd show it.  As nothing else was on sporting wise they said yes.  I went down there with a scouser early and decided to make a day of it.  Swanky meal and all.  Just about kick of time a load of Irish lads came in and wanted to watch the Gaelic footie.  The gaffer said I'd requested it.  They were getting a bit lippy and saying that it was an effing Irish pub. I'm so glad my mate came with me.  Built like the proverbial house and a kick boxer.  To be fair the barmen stood their ground cos I'd called ahead.  Awful game.  I wish i'd watched the Gaelic footie.  Did we get a Pen disallowed.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 28, 2020, 3:30pm; Reply: 134

Is there anything else?  I've followed lots of teams on my travels but It's Grimsby who get me fired up.  It's the Mariners who break my heart but I go back for another battering. It's Town who make feel high after a good run.  When we are in the doldrums I can do nothing but watch or listen like a moth to a flame.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 28, 2020, 3:40pm; Reply: 135
It's awesome how football can unite.  I was working in Costa RIca working illegally so I felt a bit perturbed when my boss called the cops to one guest ( I was working in a Yoga retreat. - chill out!)  The Police in Costa Rica are well tooled up as there is no army.  there were three cops and and was stood there looking me up and down as he held on to his sub machine gun.  Either he wanted to us me as target practice or bend me over I wasn't sure. The he said, "Do you like La Liga?".  I was wearing one of their shirts. "I told him i'd gone the night before to the game and it was a cracker."  He said he'd been too.  I fished out a red and black Liga keyring and handed it to him.  He put it on his trigger guard, beamed and said, "If you ever have any problems in Costa RIca let me know. "
Posted by: mariner83, November 28, 2020, 4:03pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
My grandad moved to Gravesend Kent in the early 70's to teach which is where I grew up, I lived on and off with him for years until 17.

Small world, I was born in Gravesend lived there (well Chalk & Strood) til I was 5.  
I'm not an exile but I've never lived in NE Lincs  ;D
Posted by: Withnail, November 28, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 137
I remember that Norwich game in 95 that Withnail mentioned. Went up on the train on my own (exilesā€™ burden). Jar at Liverpool St, then cans on the train. Couple in Norwich with my brother whoā€™d come down from home. Great game. Town second in the table that night behind Millwall (who went down that season).

On the way back a young lad with a cockney accent commented as he passed on my Town top. Thought  ā€˜sarky southern gitā€™. Went to the buffet car where I got chatting to him and his mate. Both Town fans - first one was son of an exile. Turns out he lived less than half a mile from where I lived in Kingston where he was a student. Other lad in Putney. Then another bloke turns up ā€˜where you going?ā€™ ā€˜London? Whereabouts, Kingston?ā€™ (Jokingly) ā€˜no Surbitonā€™ (mile down the road!).

Still in touch with the cockney whoā€™s now in Manchester, and I was Surbiton ladā€™s best man last year. Both of us in New Malden now. His stepson is an old friend of SuttonMariner.

I got the train back to Liverpool St after that game as well and then on to Kingston... funnily enough...where I lived at the time, just off Penrhyn Rd!

Think I may know the Town supporting Londoner who you spoke to at the buffet. Is it Rob who grew up in Barnet? If so, I was an uni and played football with him. He introduced himself to me when he saw my Ciba Town kit at a uni game  If so, small world!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 28, 2020, 5:01pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Mayaman
[/quote]

2006 I was in Spain for that play off final.   I called the Irish pub ans asked the if they'd show it.  As nothing else was on sporting wise they said yes.  I went down there with a scouser early and decided to make a day of it.  Swanky meal and all.  Just about kick of time a load of Irish lads came in and wanted to watch the Gaelic footie.  The gaffer said I'd requested it.  They were getting a bit lippy and saying that it was an effing Irish pub. I'm so glad my mate came with me.  Built like the proverbial house and a kick boxer.  To be fair the barmen stood their ground cos I'd called ahead.  Awful game.  I wish i'd watched the Gaelic footie.  Did we get a Pen disallowed.
[/quote]

We should have had a penalty when it was 0-0 in the first half

Parkinson was taken out running on goal but the ref played on

Steve Mildenhall saved a penalty that Cheltenham got in the second half but by then they were already ahead 1-0 and that's how it stayed

A total disappointment to that season when we had promotion in our grasp but fell at the final hurdle, twice
Posted by: Withnail, November 28, 2020, 5:56pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from Les Brechin
Here we are.

[youtube]yo0CfblBtP8[/youtube]

Thanks Les. Enjoyed watching that.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 28, 2020, 7:27pm; Reply: 140
Born in Grimsby, grew up in Humberston and then Caistor. Went to University in Sheffield and returned to the area after that. Travelled the world a bit and ended up meeting my wife and settling in Sacramento, California. When I got here actually found another big Grimsby fan who lived in Davis, 20 minutes from me! Turned out she's exactly the same age, also grew up in Humberston but I went to C of E and she went to Cloverfields! Small world! Unfortunately she's now moved to the east coast so there's no official Mariners fan club in the area anymore but my friends kids go to "soccer" practice in their Grimsby kits that I brought them back! Try and catch as many games as I can, ifollow is a life saver. But when we're doing poorly it definitely tests my resolve getting up for the 7am kick off times and me not being anything like a morning person! Watched the local USL team a few times (same level as Andrew Fox), it's not a bad way to spend an evening but the level isn't great, they're converting to an MLS team in a couple of years so maybe that will improve it but there's nothing quite like watching the mariners. UTM
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, November 28, 2020, 8:21pm; Reply: 141
Born at Croft baker in Cleethorpes in 1958.......excrement thatā€™s a long time ago!

Lived in the pontoon at home games........all the family were in the fishing industry......

Got married and worked all over the UK and a few parts of the world......but came home and settled in Epworth in the isle of Axholme over 26 years ago......Alan Buckley thought we lived on an island when I told him!

Followed town since I was around 9 years old......my dad stood on the constitutional corner for years until I moved to the big pontoon.....

Best mates with Terry Donovan and Baralad from school and still fly the Gtfc flag despite the locals moans.

Just want to see the park rocking again like it used to.......Exeter for example ......rammed and people on the Baratt stand roof!

Swopping ends at half time......lol

Not really an exile but feels like it sometimes.....

Memories forever !

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 28, 2020, 9:07pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from Withnail

I got the train back to Liverpool St after that game as well and then on to Kingston... funnily enough...where I lived at the time, just off Penrhyn Rd!

Think I may know the Town supporting Londoner who you spoke to at the buffet. Is it Rob who grew up in Barnet? If so, I was an uni and played football with him. He introduced himself to me when he saw my Ciba Town kit at a uni game  If so, small world!

It is Rob! Very small world. He moved to SĆ£o Paolo to get married, back a couple of years later, then his ex came back to the UK, moved to Manchester and had a kid together.

Occasionally meet up with a couple of his mates from uni called Nick, Raj, and Pompey Steve. Donā€™t know if you knew them.

They were gonna close the buffet after Ipswich to cash up but we persuaded them to stay open (4 thirsty Mariners). As Rob bore a vague resemblance to Herome Flynn and the other guy looked like Robson Green the lass at the buffet did the usual announcement for  ā€˜teas, coffee, cold beverages, light refreshments....and Robson and Jerome.ā€™
Posted by: Withnail, November 28, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 143

It is Rob! Very small world. He moved to SĆ£o Paolo to get married, back a couple of years later, then his ex came back to the UK, moved to Manchester and had a kid together.

Occasionally meet up with a couple of his mates from uni called Nick, Raj, and Pompey Steve. Donā€™t know if you knew them.

They were gonna close the buffet after Ipswich to cash up but we persuaded them to stay open (4 thirsty Mariners). As Rob bore a vague resemblance to Herome Flynn and the other guy looked like Robson Green the lass at the buffet did the usual announcement for  ā€˜teas, coffee, cold beverages, light refreshments....and Robson and Jerome.ā€™

Well sodomist me! I thought it had to be Rob.

IIRC Rob's Dad was from Caistor but Rob was born and grew up in Barnet. I think he supported Town but Barnet, then non league, were his second team.

I've not seen Rob for 20 odd years and always wondered what happened to him. Glad to hear he's well.

I was probably on the same train as you but didn't see Rob. I was a bit worse for wear and must admit I've no recollection of who I even went to the game with. Think it must have been Trawler.

I don't know those names you mentioned but may recognise their faces if Rob knocked about with them in Kingston.

Is The Ram Inn still going in Kingston and Volts nightclub?
Posted by: newarkmariner, November 28, 2020, 9:55pm; Reply: 144
this is great reading, well heres my story

i was born in croft baker in June 1968,we lived on Elsenham road and then moved to Waltham, my late father used to take me to games when he was home from sea, he died on the Sioux gy311 in 1976,
I left Gy in 1986 when i joined the RAF and didn't come back till 1997,
in 1998 i took over  the Cricketers pub were Les Brechin was my quiz master ,pool captain and footy club sec,hi buddy, big hello too Meza who i played with when we won div 4,good times mate(ive still got my end off season programme and often read it with a giggle.

In 2004 i moved to North shields as my then wife was a Geordie, I ran pubs there for 9yrs,until my marriage breakup in 2013, i then moved too Newark running the Queens head and Old Kings arms until ill health put a halt too pub life ,im still happily living in Newark with my partner Dawn,i now drive for a living which is a lot less stressful than running pubs.

i manage too attend about 80% off games home and away as i no longer work weekends and cant wait too be back in the pontoon with my brother cheering the lads on.

UTM
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 28, 2020, 10:13pm; Reply: 145
I didnt think the RAF existed in the 1880s, shows how poor I was in history at school(bash)
Posted by: Saudimariner, November 28, 2020, 10:15pm; Reply: 146
Love all these stories!

I've been a bit of a nomad all my adult life, but supported the Mariners wherever I went.  Follow the scores on the Telegraph website and watch the goals when they come up on YouTube.
Born in Nunsthorpe Maternity in 1950 (yes, that old!), lived in Kent Street until I was 5, then the Weelsby Estate.  Went to Bradford Uni, then back to Grimsby to work in the food industry.  Gradually moved further away to Grantham via Brigg, then Worcestershire, then York, but finally got out and lived in Italy (supposed to be "living the dream" but it wasn't really).  Lived in Cairo for 3 years, then back to Grimsby to look after my Dad, who was dying of cancer.  Married my American girl (3rd wife), then went to work in Riyadh (hence the "Saudimariner") for 3 years while my wife bought the house I've now retired to in Maine, USA.
I'm a 3rd generation supporter - first saw the Mariners when they came back to GY station with Allenby Chilton in 1956, having just won the 3rd division north title (the only team in the league to win a title in the first season after re-election), then became a regular in the boys' paddock in the Barratt stand.  Got my season ticket in the Main Stand when I became and old (ish) man.
UTM from the Ellsworth, Maine branch of the Mariners Supporters Club (1 member)
Posted by: Meza, November 28, 2020, 10:17pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from newarkmariner

i was born in croft baker in June 1968,we lived on Elsenham road and then moved to Waltham, my late father used to take me to games when he was home from sea, he died on the Sioux gy311 in 1976,
I left Gy in 1886 when i joined the RAF and didn't come back till 1997,
in 1998 i took over  the Cricketers pub were Les Brechin was my quiz master ,pool captain and footy club sec,hi buddy, big hello too Meza who i played with when we won div 4,good times mate(ive still got my end off season programme and often read it with a giggle.

In 2004 i moved to North shields as my then wife was a Geordie, I ran pubs there for 9yrs,until my marriage breakup in 2013, i then moved too Newark running the Queens head and Old Kings arms until ill health put a halt too pub life ,im still happily living in Newark with my partner Dawn,i now drive for a living which is a lot less stressful than running pubs.

i manage too attend about 80% off games home and away as i no longer work weekends and cant wait too be back in the pontoon with my brother cheering the lads on.

UTM

Remember this mate.

[url=https://postimg.cc/pmfpVKX1][img]https://i.postimg.cc/GmNYQQ0r/DSC-0141.jpg[/img][/url]
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 28, 2020, 10:33pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Withnail

Well sodomist me! I thought it had to be Rob.

IIRC Rob's Dad was from Caistor but Rob was born and grew up in Barnet. I think he supported Town but Barnet, then non league, were his second team.

I've not seen Rob for 20 odd years and always wondered what happened to him. Glad to hear he's well.

I was probably on the same train as you but didn't see Rob. I was a bit worse for wear and must admit I've no recollection of who I even went to the game with. Think it must have been Trawler.

I don't know those names you mentioned but may recognise their faces if Rob knocked about with them in Kingston.

Is The Ram Inn still going in Kingston and Volts nightclub?

Yeah thatā€™s right. Caistor. Mick still goes to Town games. Rob does games up in the north west. Heā€™s got a string of clubs he follows (Town, Barnet, Corinthian Casuals, Corinthians of SĆ£o Paolo, where his wife is from). We were all bladdered on that Norwich train that night . It continued at Waterloo.

Ram is still going strong (in normal years). Volts changed names several times. Not sure if itā€™s still open. Think Bacchus still is šŸ˜†.

Drop me a PM with your name if you wanna get in touch with Rob.

We met another Surbiton based exile on the way to Rushden and Diamonds in about 2003. Still in good buddies. He moved to Norway last year.

Just remembered that as well as meeting some of my best mates following Town, I met my wife because of it. Indirectly. With Rob (usual suspect) in London after Gillingham away.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, November 28, 2020, 11:03pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from mariner83

Small world, I was born in Gravesend lived there (well Chalk & Strood) til I was 5.  
I'm not an exile but I've never lived in NE Lincs  ;D

I went to school in Rochester so not far!
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 28, 2020, 11:12pm; Reply: 150
All Town Arenā€™t We
Posted by: LH, November 29, 2020, 12:19am; Reply: 151
Approximately 10% of the RAF, lorry drivers and students at any one time are Town fans if you read this thread. When I was an exile at RAF Benson on my Flight of roughly 40 people there were four lads from Grimsby (One East Marsh, one Willows, one Littlefield and one Laceby) and three of us were either STHs or regulars at BP.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 29, 2020, 8:24am; Reply: 152
Quoted from newarkmariner

Hi Chris. Good times back then Fatcat. I can't believe where the time goes mate. Hello to Meza too.
Posted by: Poojah, November 29, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 153
Fascinating thread.

Like many others on here, I was born in Nunsthorpe maternity hospital, 1985. Spent my entire childhood in Cleethorpes, and have great memories walking down Grimsby Road on the way to Blundell Park with my dad and grandad, who himself actually hailed from Suffolk but had adopted Town as his team having moved to the area in the 40s.

Briefly moved to Middlesbrough when I was 18 for no particular reason at all, and by complete fluke met my wife and mother of my two children within hours of arriving.

Have spent the last 14 years in Leeds, where weā€™re pretty settled as a family now. I canā€™t envisage ever moving back to the Grimsby area due to work and family reasons, but have previously turned away job opportunities in London and the States primarily because I donā€™t like the thought of being too far away from my home town.

My origin is sometimes the subject of pƬsstakery from my colleagues, mostly hoity toity, privately educated London types whoā€™ve never even been to the place, but Iā€™ve always felt a tremendous sense of pride about where Iā€™m from. The sight of the Dock Tower from the A180 is something that never fails to trigger a warm sense of nostalgia and familiarity, and I always point it out to my kids when weā€™re in the car, even if itā€™s just some old building to them.

I canā€™t wait to do that walk to BP once again. Hopefully it wonā€™t be too long now.
Posted by: fishyfanny, November 29, 2020, 9:53am; Reply: 154
I was born at Croft Baker (Cleethorpes) in 1967. Grew up in Brian Avenue and went to school at Thrunscoe and the Mathew Humberstone.
Moved around the town for a few years, Lovett st, Laceby and Humberston. Moved to Brisbane Australia in 2004 and returned to live in Gloucestershire in 2014. Moved back to Laceby in 2016 and now settled in Waltham.
I hope that we won't be moving again any time soon.

UTM
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), November 29, 2020, 10:37am; Reply: 155
Quoted from LH
Approximately 10% of the RAF, lorry drivers and students at any one time are Town fans if you read this thread. When I was an exile at RAF Benson on my Flight of roughly 40 people there were four lads from Grimsby (One East Marsh, one Willows, one Littlefield and one Laceby) and three of us were either STHs or regulars at BP.

My cousin was in the RAF, and I went to visit him at RAF Benson.  We went for a few drinks in the Officers Mess, even though I was only a Corporal in the Army.

Posted by: Snikwad, November 29, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 156
Well what a fantastic thread and one that has prompted me to finally post something rather than just read the fishy every day.

I was born 1960 in a council house in Bempton Grove just off Weelsby Road, just a few doors down from where Duncan McKenzie lived. Moved to Farebrother St when I was 2 and spent most of my childhood there. Went to Canon Ainslie Primary School and managed to fluke my way into Winteringham Grammar. Had a fantastic time there as I was lucky enough to be around the golden generation of local footballers. I played in the same house team as Dave Moore and we were unbeaten in the 5 years we played games, the original invincibles. The school team at the time included Dave and Kev Moore, Tony Ford, Paul Emson, and the best of the lot Brian Klug who went to Ipswich when they were playing in Europe but unfortunately had a career ending injury just as he was pushing for a first team slot.

My first game was in the late 60's against Burnley, with Doug Collins the stand out player. But my first full season was 71/72, not a bad time to start !!  Nobody in my family was particularly keen on sport, so much of the time I went on my own. I would walk from home and back with my little radio for company. Eventually a group of us at school would get together and go, my favorite spot would be to stand on the base of the floodlight between the pontoon and the Barrat as I wasn't very tall.

After A Levels I decided Uni wasn't for me and so joined a local Bank in 78. That meant I had money and time to watch probably the best Grimsby side of my lifetime, and it contained half of my school team. But to further my career it was obvious I would have to move away, so in in 84 I began my nomadic life and worked in Peterborough, London, Bedford. Always made regular trips back home though, and never for a moment thought about supporting anyone else. And then in 92 I was given a move to..........Grimsby !! So it was back home and as much football as I could manage with a ST in the Lower Findus.

But it couldn't last and in 97 I was moved to Dunstable. Couldn't afford to live there, so ended up in Northampton where I live now. I moved in a few months before the 98 playoff game, so I really enjoyed the drive home up the M1 and into my street that was was very quiet for some reason. My piece of the Bank was outsourced in 2002, and I ended up working for HP. I moved out of Banking and travelled all over the world, Thank god for iPlayer as I would listen to games in strange places and strange times. I had to listen to the Burton game in Buenos Aires and watched the Bristol Rovers playoff final in a hotel room in Bangalore India. Thankfully I managed to engineer my schedule to make sure I was in the UK for the Forest Green game a year later.

I'm semi-retired now and so hoping to have more time to go to games. I'm lucky that during my time in Northampton I have hooked up with ex London Mariner Mick (Wembley Double 98)_ and his two boys Matt and Dan, and Tim (Mariner Timsky) who I forgive for forgetting my name. It means that we often have a car full to away games and we have had some cracking days out, I thank them for their friendship. There is nothing like going to an away game where you think you will be on your own, and then you walk into the pub or the ground and suddenly you are surrounded by other people who are just the same as you. The feeling of  togetherness, almost of family is something special. My Arsenal supporting ex-workmate who comes along sometimes has commented on how much he loves our fans, real football and real fans.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 29, 2020, 12:50pm; Reply: 157
I am really pleased I put this thread up I did not know if many would be interested but it's gone well past what I expected.

It's amazing to see how many exiles where brought up close to other mariners but have widely travelled since.

I did not say too much about me so I will add my upbring.

Born in the Nunsthorpe maternity home 1948 the year the NHS  was formed
Moved from Riby to Wroxham Ave when they built a new estate dad got a job with his brother in Middlesbough but could not settle so returned to Cleethorpes aged seven. Went to St Peter's then Beacon Hill.
Scored loads of goals for the School and got picked for Grimsby Boys I scored in every game ending with four in our last win in the national cup and three when we went out in the last 16 by 6-3.
Then played for the Town juniors which we had a certain Harry Wainman in goal I was still only 14 and I think Harry was 16 he was brilliant hardly letting a goal in during the time I played.

I left school at 15 and my dad got me an interview for a apprentice anticipated with Wimpey and started work on the multi storey flats which had started earlier in the year.This made it difficult for me to get to training so after scoring 4 goals in 7 games for the juniors I played for the foremans team in the Grimsby local league .

Tom Johnson towns manager asked me to come back to training and made me sub for Town A team coming on just before half time. My first touch of the ball was when the fullback belted the ball right into my knackers from a few yards. George Higgins ran on and wanted to put a cold sponge down my shorts which I declined.

After that being a teenager with no idea what I wanted from life I just played local football and by the time I was 20 the speed I had which helped me scored plenty of goals disappeared and when I was 22 went bus driving and quickly put 2 stone on. I did make a comeback playing for them on a Sunday morning just to try and stay fit after sitting down all week.

This period was really good for Town ending up with the Exeter game with 22,000+ there and promotion, because most people went by bus to the game there were plenty of bus specials on and by doing them we got in for free to watch the games.When not working I paid to get in . ;D

Had several jobs after bus driving ending with making a small fortune as a car salesman which helped my wife and I decide a move to Suffolk would be a good idea.
We have never regretted moving and we are now surrounded by our family of a daughter and two granddaughters who have given us four great grandchildren and counting.
All mini mariners !!!!!!
Posted by: gytone, November 29, 2020, 1:19pm; Reply: 158
I've really enjoyed reading this thread, please keep it going.
As for me, I was brought in Springbank, went to Yarborough school then Hereford, now live on the Church Meadows Estate, never moved more than a mile away, so no travelling story. Although I've got a fish round in Leeds and have 2/3 customers who are keen Town fans, it would seem we get everywhere.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 29, 2020, 9:41pm; Reply: 159
Born in Croft Baker in 1968. Brought up in Scartho and left Grimsby at 18 to go to university in Nottingham. Met my wife in Nottingham (but she was a Cleethorpes girl!) and we lived in Nottingham before moving to the Manchester area for her job. We then moved south to Hertfordshire because of work and then got divorced. I stayed in the area for a while before getting a job in the US and then was moved to Tokyo by the company, who then made me redundant!
I moved back to the UK almost 2 years ago and live not far from Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire.

It was always a little taste of home to check how Town had done on the BBC website when I was in the US or Japan. It was a bit surreal in Japan because you checked Saturday's result on Sunday morning, so looking at results and reading match reports was a Sunday breakfast thing.

Born in Croft Baker, moved to norwich after initial year near fiveways.moved to Bedgrove ,Aylesbury  in 1969., went to AGS as the only skinhead(and Grimsby fan) which didnt do me too many favours.lived in bierton for 25 years with my first wife(gy born and bred) .then lucky enough to meet Chris (born Dewsburyand lived Wycombe,  no worse combination surely?)
Courtship was weekends away spoilt by watching Town in the bad old days.last 10 years in the lovely, out of the way North Marston. Never been happier.

You must come over for a pint in the Pilgrim Bob Cummings Tackle!
Posted by: joe56, November 29, 2020, 11:16pm; Reply: 160
I thought Iā€™d add my two pennā€™orth before the thread disappears. Born and bred in Louth, and brought up on the council estate in the east of the town, I went to the Grammar School before leaving for Bradford and later Leeds Universities. I moved on to an academic career at Leeds, retiring 37 years later (I know, I know, but honestly no two days were ever the same!). For nearly all of that time Iā€™ve lived in the Spen Valley in West Yorkshire, but it hasnā€™t stopped me from remaining loyal to Town, regularly making the 170 mile round trip for most of my time here (much of it as a season ticket holder), and going to loads of away games given the good access to all parts of the country from where I live. My first game was against Rotherham on a Good Friday around 1960, and I remember especially the great Johnny Scott, Ron Rafferty and Jimmy Fell. I went on to be a regular in all four stands over the years, but the Barratt was easily the best, creating an amazing atmosphere thatā€™s never been equalled. I was brought up to follow Manchester United as my Dad, a Mancunian, had supported them from childhood in the 1920s. I could easily have become a season ticket holder at Old Trafford (only 45 minutes from my present house), but the pull of the Mariners was too great, and Iā€™d much rather see Town survive a League 2 relegation battle than United win the Champions League. Needless to say, both my lads (born in Dewsbury!šŸ˜‰) were brought up to support Town which didnā€™t go down well with my late wife, a keen Huddersfield fan! Iā€™ve watched all the iFollow games this season, but canā€™t wait to get back to Blundell Park.
Posted by: GY1, November 30, 2020, 1:58am; Reply: 161
I'm new on here so we'll see how it goes?

I was born in the front room of 146 Rutland St. East Marsh. Went to hilda/weelsby/Harold street schools. Was apprentice fitter at Northern Trawlers during the heyday of the fishing industry. Dad was a fisherman along with his four brothers and other family members. Played local football for Cromwell Rovers. Pontoon end Town fan from 1955/6. Went to sea as engineer for P & O. Met wife at sea (Canadian). Got married at GY registry office.

Lived in Immingham and Goxhill, took a job in the Bahamas, moved to Trinidad, Venezuela and Indonesia, had a flat in Hope St. Cleethorpes which I regret selling! Moved around the states and finished up in St. Louis. Retired to the Tucson area in Arizona 14 years ago (same wife). Met two town fans living in my local area while following the Telegraphā€™s blog, which used to be interactive. We had a lot of good get togethers through following Town. Sadly, one died, and the other (Ed from Arizona) returned to Cleethorpes, but we keep in touch and discuss townā€™s performances. One constant over all my travels has been the Mariners even though I have not attended a game for many years. I wear my Town Covid face mask with great pride when I play golf. UTMM!!

GY1 Northern Jewel (Grimsby trawler)
Posted by: Yossarian, November 30, 2020, 11:02am; Reply: 162
Interesting thread.

Born in Louth, then to Sheffield to study, then London to work then all over the globe with my job depending on where my clients were based. San Francisco, France, SE Asia, Cape Town.  Lived outside of the UK for very long stretches of time.

Married a French girl and now back in Blackheath in London.  I'm now also a French citizen .... something I think my folks find hard to get their heads around.  Seems a long way from spending weekends at my Grans house in Saltfleet.

I still miss Blundell Park on those cold, dark night matches in winter.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 30, 2020, 11:08am; Reply: 163
Amazing how many were born in Louth.

BUT

I can remember in the old days we had loads of buses bring town fans to home games from Louth, Boston. Brigg. Barton and Market Rasen.

Normally more home buses than away ones. 8)
Posted by: Yossarian, November 30, 2020, 11:16am; Reply: 164
What was interesting in Louth is that you never saw any Lincoln fans.  Logically you'd think it would be maybe a 50/50 splitdue to Louth's location - but no.... everyone i knew supported Town.

I dont get back to Lincolnshire much at all anymore - when we do my kids find it hard to understand my family (they have quite a twang on their accent, where as I have a very neutral accent ).   I showed them the house in the middle of the countryside (Skidbrooke) where I spent a few years growing up.  It is super-isolated.  My kids thought it was hilarious.  "What did you do for fun, dad?"
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 30, 2020, 12:01pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from grimsby pete
Amazing how many were born in Louth.

BUT

I can remember in the old days we had loads of buses bring town fans to home games from Louth, Boston. Brigg. Barton and Market Rasen.

Normally more home buses than away ones. 8)

I used to use the Brigg branch coach, it was Daisy buses from Broughton, picked up Bigby, Somersby and Grasby, dropped off and picked up outside the old cinema,now McDonaldā€™s, remember at least once having a bottle com3 through the window on Cleethorpes road.
Posted by: joe56, November 30, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from Yossarian
What was interesting in Louth is that you never saw any Lincoln fans.  Logically you'd think it would be maybe a 50/50 splitdue to Louth's location - but no.... everyone i knew supported Town.

I always wondered if it would have been any different if Louth were located 5 miles further West. Iā€™m not so sure. Quite a lot of people of my parentsā€™ generation worked in Grimsby. My Dad eventually started in business on his own locally, but until then caught the packed 6.30 train to Grimsby Town station for work every day. I remember him telling me about winding up his work mates over the imminent visit of the great Manchester United (his team since childhood). Come the day, United were happy to escape with a 1ā€“1 draw. Dad never lived it down. That was Busbyā€™s first great team. United won the Cup that year which I think was 1948.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 30, 2020, 1:11pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from Yossarian

I dont get back to Lincolnshire much at all anymore - when we do my kids find it hard to understand my family (they have quite a twang on their accent, where as I have a very neutral accent ).   I showed them the house in the middle of the countryside (Skidbrooke) where I spent a few years growing up.  It is super-isolated.  My kids thought it was hilarious.  "What did you do for fun, dad?"

Railway connection only 20 mins before they ripped the line up.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 30, 2020, 1:21pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from GY1

I was born in the front room of 146 Rutland St. East Marsh. Went to hilda/weelsby/Harold street schools. Was apprentice fitter at Northern Trawlers during the heyday of the fishing industry. Dad was a fisherman along with his four brothers and other family members. Played local football for Cromwell Rovers. Pontoon end Town fan from 1955/6. Went to sea as engineer for P & O. Met wife at sea (Canadian). Got married at GY registry office.

Lived in Immingham and Goxhill, took a job in the Bahamas, moved to Trinidad, Venezuela and Indonesia, had a flat in Hope St. Cleethorpes which I regret selling! Moved around the states and finished up in St. Louis. Retired to the Tucson area in Arizona 14 years ago (same wife). Met two town fans living in my local area while following the Telegraphā€™s blog, which used to be interactive. We had a lot of good get togethers through following Town. Sadly, one died, and the other (Ed from Arizona) returned to Cleethorpes, but we keep in touch and discuss townā€™s performances. One constant over all my travels has been the Mariners even though I have not attended a game for many years. I wear my Town Covid face mask with great pride when I play golf. UTMM!!

Dear old Harold Street school. Those were the days, or maybe not. ;D

I wonder if any posters attended Harold Street who were my classmates? Born 1954/55?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 30, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 169

I wonder if any posters attended Harold Street who were my classmates? Born 1954/55?

I attended in 1974 and shut the school down after torching the cloakroom due to having a mild addiction with fire...set my coat alight on the way to school, thought I'd put it out, obviously not as 9.00 am the school was evacuated and several costs were ruined!... fortunately no one got injured and I got rehabilitated.. whoops..
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 30, 2020, 2:56pm; Reply: 170

I attended in 1974 and shut the school down after torching the cloakroom due to having a mild addiction with fire...set my coat alight on the way to school, thought I'd put it out, obviously not as 9.00 am the school was evacuated and several costs were ruined!... fortunately no one got injured and I got rehabilitated.. whoops..

I just missed you then but am so pleased you kept up the tradition of the myriad number of pupils who tried to destroy the place.  ;D

It wasn't really an education as such, more a groundwork for putting snowflakes in their place.  ;D ;D
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 30, 2020, 3:17pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from gytone
I've really enjoyed reading this thread, please keep it going.
As for me, I was brought in Springbank, went to Yarborough school then Hereford, now live on the Church Meadows Estate, never moved more than a mile away, so no travelling story. Although I've got a fish round in Leeds and have 2/3 customers who are keen Town fans, it would seem we get everywhere.

I grew up on Springway Crescent. Dean Crombie lived on Springbank at one stage, didn't he?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 30, 2020, 3:21pm; Reply: 172

I grew up on Springway Crescent. Dean Crombie lived on Springbank at one stage, didn't he?

He certainly did

I lived on Lombard Street until I left Town at the end of '79 .... I don't think he was living there then so maybe moved there in and and around that famous 79-80 season?
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 30, 2020, 3:23pm; Reply: 173
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

He certainly did

I lived on Lombard Street until I left Town at the end of '79 .... I don't think he was living there then so maybe moved there in and and around that famous 79-80 season?

I moved to London in 77, but my mum still lives in the house I grew up in.
Posted by: gytone, November 30, 2020, 3:41pm; Reply: 174

He did, he lived down the bottom near to the field that's near the leisure centre.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 30, 2020, 4:31pm; Reply: 175
Talking about Louth we had some good night's out at Louth in the 60's too many pubs to visit in one night.

I remember Dave Boylen saying when we played in London the team went by train and a few of them always got off at Louth to catch last orders. 8)

I should add on the way home ( Mike Newell was not the manager )   ;D
Posted by: Ipswin, November 30, 2020, 4:57pm; Reply: 176
I can't recall who they were playing but I recall a report. I think in a 'Topical Times Football Annual' w of a Charlton game that ended 5-5 or even 6-5 in the late 50s early 60s in front of a relatively small crowd and as a comparison it included a photo of that terrace absolutely full just after the war, a breathtaking sight
Posted by: Ipswin, November 30, 2020, 5:03pm; Reply: 177
Got it !

It was Charlton 7 Huddersfeld 6 December 1957
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 30, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 178
I believe that there were 50 pubs in Louth.  Said to have been the most pubs per capita of any place in England.

Talking of a lot of exiles being born in Louth, so was I (Louth hospital).  Although brought up in Mablethorpe.  The Supporters Club ran a bus to all home games.  I do not remember any footy fan in Mablethorpe supporting any other team but Town.

Reading these posts shows the wide variety of interesting and distant countries that have a Town outpost.  Quite a few in South America.  

Being an exile has other unforeseen drawbacks.  I was in the RAF at Hereford for all of 1972.  I missed most of the games in winning the championship.  The same applied in 1979-80 as I was in Germany.  2 great seasons missed!   :'( :'(
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 30, 2020, 5:09pm; Reply: 179
Another thing noticable from the majority of these posts is that when people leave the Grimsby area, they very rarely come back.

I suppose I was a bit different as I left when I was 6 months old and came back when I was 3 and a half.  :)

I have 4 close personal friends who for one reason or another left the area (all over 10-15 years ago now) and none have come back.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 30, 2020, 5:17pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from Ipswin
Got it !

Would have been 0-0 with VAR (probably)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 30, 2020, 5:27pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from Ipswin
Got it !

Yes I remember that Swin  (wheelchair)
Posted by: GY1, November 30, 2020, 5:48pm; Reply: 182
Yes Les, but home is where the heart is!
Posted by: GY1, November 30, 2020, 6:02pm; Reply: 183
Dear old Harold Street school. Those were the days, or maybe not.

I left in 58. Good school in it's day. We always had a great football team. Bonfires on the bomb site across the road from the school. Delivered papers for Beilbe's on the corner of Harold/Park St. Good memories for me!
Posted by: Meza, November 30, 2020, 6:41pm; Reply: 184

My Dad (David Redgrift) attended Harold St he use to live (when at parents) on the corner house of Guildford St
Posted by: Teesknees, November 30, 2020, 6:48pm; Reply: 185
First game maybe 1967, canā€™t remember too much. Moved up to North Yorkshire to work on ancient monuments ..Scarborough Castle/Whitby Abbey  etc in 1987, didnā€™t see town much once up there. Move to Suffolk in 1989 to work for the MOD on an American air force base and then down to Portsmouth area to train people to look after old buildings, saw Town get thumped at Fratton park on one occasion. Moved to Northamptonshire in 1997, Iā€™ve seen town win, lose and draw at Sixfields, donā€™t get back to Blundell Park now my parents have gone. Iā€™ve taken my lad, but heā€™s not got the town bug!
Posted by: gtfc98, November 30, 2020, 7:10pm; Reply: 186
Quoted from GY1

There's a few of us based out West in North America then. Got a mate up in Vancouver and we often chat all thing town when everyone back home is tucked up in bed! UTM!
Posted by: GY1, November 30, 2020, 7:39pm; Reply: 187
There's a few of us based out West in North America then. Got a mate up in Vancouver and we often chat all thing town when everyone back home is tucked up in bed! UTM!

Where are you then, CA? My wife's from Vancouver.
Posted by: mariner83, November 30, 2020, 9:14pm; Reply: 188
Quoted from Yossarian

I went to school in Brigg, a lot of Man U/Liverpool fans at the time but for local teams Town definitely outnumbered Scunny.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 30, 2020, 9:48pm; Reply: 189
Quoted from Les Brechin
Another thing noticable from the majority of these posts is that when people leave the Grimsby area, they very rarely come back.

I suppose I was a bit different as I left when I was 6 months old and came back when I was 3 and a half.  :)

I have 4 close personal friends who for one reason or another left the area (all over 10-15 years ago now) and none have come back.

We are always coming back Les!!! We are always drawn back itā€™s just our life has taken us all to a new place we call our home - but we all know where our real home is

Posted by: Yossarian, November 30, 2020, 9:48pm; Reply: 190
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'd never go back - my life is elsewhere and has been for more than 30 years.  Its interesting reading where we have all ended up in life.... and the common memories and experiences that keep this invisible thread between us all.  A football team that has given us a smattering of pleasure and a lot of tears.  Bad football, crushing defeats, some shiny brilliant moments.

I don't miss my old life back in Lincolnshire, but I loved it at the time and it was a very happy time.  I also love my life as it is now...totally different (dare I say better) than I'd have ever dreamed of.   But I think that journey i've certainly gone through in life has been better because of supporting a team like Grimsby where there is no immediate definition "success" and pleasure has to be taken in the small things, the fleeting moments.  

Winning the League every other year and getting to a cup final every 3rd season?  Pah!   Give me these more intimate Town memories shared by fewer of us - they burn just as bright as any Champions League win.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 30, 2020, 9:59pm; Reply: 191
Quoted from GY1

Where are you then, CA? My wife's from Vancouver.

I'm in Sacramento, California. Vancouver is a great place! I was in Arizona a few months ago at the Grand Canyon! First time seeing it and won't forget it!
Posted by: Jackal, November 30, 2020, 11:01pm; Reply: 192
Born in Grimsby to a trawling family. Lived littlefield lane area until 16 then moved out to Caistor way. Lived in the sticks bringing up a family for a lot of years while working in Immingham.
Worked on Spain for a few years before moving back to lincs. Eight years ago moved to Cheshire and actually now live in a lovely part of the world amongst all the premier league players.

Most vivid memories . Being in the Anfield road stand at Liverpool wearing my Parker singing my head off as the best team on the planet put us to the sword 5-0. Being in the Osmond open corner and having a clear view to see both Mick Brolly's goals as we came from behind to beat league leaders Everton. I think the emotion of that night will last forever.

Today weā€™ve got a box at old Trafford ( prawn sandwiches) and last season had a customer rock up. As usual he asked me if Iā€™m a united fan. I always give them the truth. My club is Grimsby Town. Man Utd is work.
He held his hand out and to shake mine and smiling said he was born in Cleethorpes  and is a die hard town fan.
We sat in the box drinking and chatting about Town all evening. No idea what the result was that night and donā€™t care. Town through thick and thin...mostly thin.
Get back for half a dozen games a year but not as often as Iā€™d like.
Posted by: GY1, December 1, 2020, 2:33am; Reply: 193
[quote=259]

I'm in Sacramento, California. Vancouver is a great place! I was in Arizona a few months ago at the Grand Canyon! First time seeing it and won't forget it![/quote

That's great. I'm well south of the canyon. Spent a few years in Martinez and Bakersfield. Maybe at some time if the opportunity presents itself we could get together?

Posted by: cambmariner, December 1, 2020, 1:39pm; Reply: 194
Born in Cleethorpes and lived in Grimsby until I went to University in Birmingham. Then Adelaide, Sussex, Cambridge, New York with work then finally back to Cambridge where we are settled.

I now get to about 5-10 games a season, mix of home and away as parents still in Lincs. Good to see the usual suspects at away games, Cambridge, Orient, Colchester etc. Two daughters both born in Cambridge so they have adopted the U's despite my efforts. I suppose that's OK. I do believe in sticking with the team of your birthplace. They both have Town as their second team!

First game not till I was 16 - GTFC vs Arsenal in the FA Cup (3-4). Hooked ever since.

UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 1, 2020, 5:04pm; Reply: 195
Quoted from cambmariner
Born in Cleethorpes and lived in Grimsby until I went to University in Birmingham. Then Adelaide, Sussex, Cambridge, New York with work then finally back to Cambridge where we are settled.

I now get to about 5-10 games a season, mix of home and away as parents still in Lincs. Good to see the usual suspects at away games, Cambridge, Orient, Colchester etc. Two daughters both born in Cambridge so they have adopted the U's despite my efforts. I suppose that's OK. I do believe in sticking with the team of your birthplace. They both have Town as their second team!

First game not till I was 16 - GTFC vs Arsenal in the FA Cup (3-4). Hooked ever since.

UTM

Better them than one of the Prem teams. You've obviously instilled values in them  ;)
Posted by: gtfc98, December 1, 2020, 6:36pm; Reply: 196
Quoted from GY1
[quote=259]

I'm in Sacramento, California. Vancouver is a great place! I was in Arizona a few months ago at the Grand Canyon! First time seeing it and won't forget it![/quote

That's great. I'm well south of the canyon. Spent a few years in Martinez and Bakersfield. Maybe at some time if the opportunity presents itself we could get together?

definitely! UTM
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 1, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 197
Quoted from GY1
[quote=259]

Bakersfield - home of the worldā€™s tallest thermometer

I have a love / hate relationship with the US. I find it fascinating when I visit but itā€™s such a backward, shocking place.

Weā€™ve been to Flagstaff near (well, near for the US, itā€™s over 80 miles away) the south rim a few times and absolutely loved it - one of the few towns / cities in the US that we actually like
Posted by: Croxton, December 1, 2020, 9:50pm; Reply: 198
Quoted from GY1
[quote=259]

If you can make it, and have a taste for adventure, try the Kaibab or Angel Trail from the south rim down for the first thousand feet and get a view from within. Wife and I went for a recce one day and my mate and I did the whole thing next day. Luckily, he's done it twice before when much younger and we were well prepared. Still had to lie down in a dark room for a while. If you fly into Vegas one day and attempt to trek the Canyon the next you will die. We had been there for two weeks. It would be great to take the train from Williams next time. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in SW U.S.A National Parks but much preferred smaller places like Moab. Make it happen guys!
Posted by: immariner, December 2, 2020, 6:37pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from cambmariner

UTM

Support the team of your birthplace? Few stray Clee Town and Louth Town fans in here then! And i'd support Gillingham!
Posted by: Toppy, December 3, 2020, 4:46pm; Reply: 200
Itā€™s amazing how well travelled and widespread Town fans are.
Here is my story for those interested;
Another Croft Baker baby (1964), schools were Queen Mary Avenue Infants, Barcroft Junior and Matthew Humberstone Comprehensive.
I was a regular attendee at Blundell Park (season ticket holder for some years). Seen some great players and great games. Iā€™m always impressed when people discuss their first game as I have no idea when mine was (it was probably with my Grandad taking advantage of the gates opening at half time!)
At 18 moved to Stafford to study at what was then a Poly (do they still exist?) and have never returned to live in Meggies (but returned regularly for Town matches, family and friends).
After Poly had work spells in Leicester, Maidenhead and Edinburgh before departing the UK for Denmark in 1989 and have never returned to live in the UK (occasional returns for Town matches & family).
I have travelled much with my family and met many great people as we lived/worked in many fabulous places, visiting many other amazing places when travelling between work locations and ā€™homeā€™. I always thought it was better than being on holiday as you were paid for it and met more locals!
So we have lived in:
Australia (Sydney) 3 times including the 2000 Olympics & Millennium celebration. Great place.
Luxembourg twice. Also a great place ā€“ if somewhat surreal.
Norway (Oslo) twice. Including Oslo Olympics and temperatures below minus 25. Beautiful place.
Holland 3 times (Utrecht and Gouda) ā€“ great people, nice country.
Hungary (Budapest) ā€“ interesting as it was shortly after the borders opened.
Poland (Warsaw) ā€“ commuting from Denmark.
And of course Denmark, where I have been for the last 14 years.
I currently have a job in Sweden (Stockholm), so I am (or was!) regularly there (nice City).  
3 grown children, 1 born in Luxembourg and 2 in Norway. Unfortunately, they never got into Town, or any other team for that matter ā€“ perhaps one of the disadvantages of travelling so much.
Travelling has been great but I have missed much about the UK; Tuesday nights at Blundell Park, fish and chips, decent beer, salt and vinegar crisps, good curries, decent pubs and conversation in a language that makes sense (at least over the first few beers!).
In the pre-internet days (not that long ago really) I used to look forward to receiving the Gy Sports telegraph in the post and Sunday morning visits to the station to collect a British newspaper for the footy news. Now I have more up to date information about Town than I ever had (sometimes I think it is too much information!) and thanks to iFollow I probably see more games than ever (lucky me!).

Up the Mariners and I hope fans can soon return as I think the team and the fans need it.

Alan (Toppy)
Posted by: psgmariner, December 3, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 201
Commuting from Denmark to Warsaw? Bet that was an early start.
Posted by: DawlishMariner, December 3, 2020, 9:20pm; Reply: 202
Born 1947 in Hammersmith, but moved to Grimsby with father's job (administrator at Grimsby General Hospital) when a few months old. Lived Compton Drive, then Park Drive. Went to St Martins School (principals Mrs Amos and Miss Bemrose)..Remember seeing some famous names in matches between Town and "Old England XI". Also remember being upset that I missed the 5-5 draw with Fulham in the Cup because it clashed with a friend's birthday party at the Winter Gardens.
Moved back down to London area again with father's job in 1954, but tried to see Town whenever they came within reasonable travelling distance. Several league games at Watford spring to mind, also remember going to Upton Park when West Ham were in their pomp for a Cup or League Cup replay when Town were unlucky to lose to a West Ham goal when the linesman flagged, Town stopped but the ref didn't blow his whistle - must have been about 1968. Occasional town games only then right through to my retirement in 2003, when I moved to Dawlish, Devon (where my aunt had been matron of the cottage hospital when I was a toddler).
Since 2003 I have seen Town at Exeter, Plymouth, Torquay, Yeovil and Forest Green, as well as Cardiff and Wembley. Actually returned to Grimsby in 2006 to show my late wife where I spent my childhood. She was pleasantly surprised: I think the "Grim" in the town's name gives a misleading impression, although I do realise there are some depressed areas.
Posted by: Belfast Town, December 3, 2020, 10:31pm; Reply: 203
Like many of us, born in Croft Baker and lived in Grimsby until I left to go to polytechnic down south when 18.

Went to Western infants, then Hereford School.

Left school at 16 and went to work for Tom Sleights on the Fish Docks, before deciding to go back to school to study A levels.

Lived in Stevenage and worked in London until 1999, when I became a romantic migrant and moved to Belfast.

My first Town game was home to Chesterfield in 1970. Was lifted out of the Barrettā€™s Stand by my dad to sit on the touch line during the Exeter championship winning match in 1972.

Used to get into Town home games free in the early 1970s because my mate Jeremy Pearsonā€™s Mam ran the Pontoon cafe.

Since moving away Iā€™ve seen around 10 matches a season.

Town ā€˜til I die.  UTFM
Posted by: Toppy, December 4, 2020, 7:10am; Reply: 204
Quoted from psgmariner
Commuting from Denmark to Warsaw? Bet that was an early start.

I used to meet with a group travelling from the UK so they had an even earlier start :-)
We were there when the Iceland volcano erupted and all flights were cancelled. That made for an interesting commute home (or not for one of us)!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 4, 2020, 1:16pm; Reply: 205
Quoted from Toppy
Itā€™s amazing how well travelled and widespread Town fans are.
Here is my story for those interested;
Another Croft Baker baby (1964), schools were Queen Mary Avenue Infants, Barcroft Junior and Matthew Humberstone Comprehensive.
I was a regular attendee at Blundell Park (season ticket holder for some years). Seen some great players and great games. Iā€™m always impressed when people discuss their first game as I have no idea when mine was (it was probably with my Grandad taking advantage of the gates opening at half time!)
At 18 moved to Stafford to study at what was then a Poly (do they still exist?) and have never returned to live in Meggies (but returned regularly for Town matches, family and friends).
After Poly had work spells in Leicester, Maidenhead and Edinburgh before departing the UK for Denmark in 1989 and have never returned to live in the UK (occasional returns for Town matches & family).
I have travelled much with my family and met many great people as we lived/worked in many fabulous places, visiting many other amazing places when travelling between work locations and ā€™homeā€™. I always thought it was better than being on holiday as you were paid for it and met more locals!
So we have lived in:
Australia (Sydney) 3 times including the 2000 Olympics & Millennium celebration. Great place.
Luxembourg twice. Also a great place ā€“ if somewhat surreal.
Norway (Oslo) twice. Including Oslo Olympics and temperatures below minus 25. Beautiful place.
Holland 3 times (Utrecht and Gouda) ā€“ great people, nice country.
Hungary (Budapest) ā€“ interesting as it was shortly after the borders opened.
Poland (Warsaw) ā€“ commuting from Denmark.
And of course Denmark, where I have been for the last 14 years.
I currently have a job in Sweden (Stockholm), so I am (or was!) regularly there (nice City).  
3 grown children, 1 born in Luxembourg and 2 in Norway. Unfortunately, they never got into Town, or any other team for that matter ā€“ perhaps one of the disadvantages of travelling so much.
Travelling has been great but I have missed much about the UK; Tuesday nights at Blundell Park, fish and chips, decent beer, salt and vinegar crisps, good curries, decent pubs and conversation in a language that makes sense (at least over the first few beers!).
In the pre-internet days (not that long ago really) I used to look forward to receiving the Gy Sports telegraph in the post and Sunday morning visits to the station to collect a British newspaper for the footy news. Now I have more up to date information about Town than I ever had (sometimes I think it is too much information!) and thanks to iFollow I probably see more games than ever (lucky me!).

Up the Mariners and I hope fans can soon return as I think the team and the fans need it.

Alan (Toppy)

For those interested?  :-)
That's some story Toppy ;)
I too went to QMA Infants and to Barcroft  ( and where I lived on Lovett Street, it was literally cross the street and I was in the school entrance )
That's where our paths went in different directions... although that one connection will always remain no matter where we are

All Town Aren't We!
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 11:44pm