Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 322 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,659 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
tanga_the_indestructible
November 26, 2020, 2:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Born and grew up in GY.
Moved to London at 17. Then Geneva. Moved back to GY for a few years. Moved back to LDN. Then moved to New York. Moved back to LDN. Moved to Bedford, where I currently live.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 205
BeijingMariner
November 26, 2020, 2:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Born and grew up in GY.
Moved to London at 17. Then Geneva. Moved back to GY for a few years. Moved back to LDN. Then moved to New York. Moved back to LDN. Moved to Bedford, where I currently live.

are you running  away from or to? kidding. see the world
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 205
BottesfordMariner
November 26, 2020, 2:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
My parents weren't from the area originally. My dad was a deep sea fisherman from Fleetwood Lancs. He came here via Hull and fished out of Grimsby to Iceland/Faroes for Consols and Peter Sleights.

My mum was from Donegal, Ireland. Still not entirely sure how she ended up on the Lincolnshire coast. I was born 1967 in Grimsby. Lived most of my life in Cleethorpes (Barcroft St where the floodlights would light up my bedroom on night matches) and later off Clee Road.

Went to my first game in '77 after nagging my mum and dad forever. I had already seen Blackpool (my dad's team) and Fleetwood Town play by then. Been a ST holder on and off since.

Met my (now) wife who is from the Scunny area and moved here getting on for almost 20 years ago. In that time I only know 2 guys who actually watch the Iron on a regular basis. Obviously I will never go to Glanford Park to watch them . They don't really bother me as they have no interest to me. My only visits to Scunthorpe United have been cheering the away side be it The Mighty Mariners, or the Tangerines or the Cods. Saw Man City there once as I was a ST holder at City for a number of years. But it's the Mariners all the way these days and a ST holder at BP.

There are a few Mariners around these parts and only down the road so I havent moved far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 205
promotion plaice
November 26, 2020, 3:24pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Dan
Lived in Grimsby until I was 18. Studied in Sheffield. Got a job in London. Still in London 10 years later.

Nothing too exciting, all driven by simple economics and following where the work in my industry is rather than by choice. I’m in Peckham now. There’s a car on my street with a town sticker in the window, but this being London I have no idea who my neighbours are. When we could attend games though theres always lots of familiar exile faces at Cambridge, Crawley, Orient, Stevenage etc  🙂

Had to do it  

[img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/WB8FBW/vintage-robin-reliant-yellow-three-wheeled-car-on-council-estate-replica-of-only-fools-and-horses-tv-programme-vehicle-peckham-WB8FBW.jpg[/img]

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 205
chipsandgravy
November 26, 2020, 3:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Born in Horncastle. Lived (Waltham) and worked in Grimsby until 1990 moved to Stoke on Trent for work. Currently living in Newcastle under-Lyme (it's the posh end of Stoke).
First real Town game was against Everton in the cup (Brolly 2) and then never left the Barrats Stand.
My son never succumbed to supporting Stoke/Man Utd and has supported Town with me since 4 years old poor thing
Do alot of away games and a few home games and hope for better times ahead for us all.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 205
vinno69
November 26, 2020, 4:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +57
Born in 1969 at Croft Baker, i lived in Fairbrother Street  and Birch Avenue (as a youngster).  So went to Welhome then Yarborough schools before going to Hereford. Lived in Scartho until 7 years ago I then moved to the Nottingham area as I had set a up busines there,.

I recently moved to Berryhill Mansfield.  I get to home and away matches as and when I can which is not as often as I would like.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 205
TownSNAFU5
November 26, 2020, 4:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
My dad was born in Grimsby (Durban Road) in the early 1920s and supported Town.  The family sensibly moved closer to BP living on the corner of Ellison St and Grimsby Road.

He married a lass from Mablethorpe and I was brought up there.  Great place to grow up, especially in the summer.  Very few decent jobs though.  Like many friends I moved away from the area. I joined the RAF as an Apprentice at age 16.

Met my future wife whilst stationed at RAF Fylingdales in North Yorkshire.  Bought a house in York as I got a job in the city after demob. Have been married for 38 football seasons now.  Although not sure if the NL seasons should be deducted.  

3 Town fans living here car-share for most home games.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 205
kenlyn
November 26, 2020, 5:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +55
Born and bred in Grimsby 1952, lived Bridge Street until they decided to build the multistorey flats and we moved to Springfield Road were I stayed until getting married in 1980 at Great Coates church. Wife was also born Grimsby and lived Wade Avenue and Newsham Drive. Within a month of getting married we moved for work as newsagents managers, spent 1 year in Barnet, nearly 4 years in Coventry, 2 years in Newark, 2 years in Ipswich finally moving to Flitwick in Bedfordshire during November 1989 and have remained to this day. Took early retirement in 2013 and paid off the mortgage after getting a pay off from Asda as they looked to reduce the workforce in the warehouse. Both our children and our 3 grandchildren live in Northampton so moving back home (seems out of the question),as we still refer to it, there is only one home and one team for me.Whilst in Ipswich I used to get offered tickets for the paperboys and took my son once, big mistake he took them up as his team and still supports them. Do not get to many town games as I would like to but have managed all the Wembley games. We manage nowadays to spend a week in Grimsby playing catch up which often coincides attending funerals, not managed it this year because of the pandemic but on the plus side nobody we know has died except for the mighty Matt Tees although we did not know him personally.

UTM and everybody stay safe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 205
malkamalka
November 26, 2020, 5:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Born Louth, First Town game v Chelsea aged 7. Still have the old Black and White programme.  Lived Louth and Grimsby till age 21 when I moved to Oz.

Went "bush" for a few years and actually met another Mariner also from Louth. (He actually successfully feigned madness to get himself and his family repatriated to the UK).

Back to Lincolnshire in 2005, now retired.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 205
Teesknees
November 26, 2020, 5:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Ipswin
Born in Croft Baker in 1951 Lived in Rowston Street and first saw Town on Christmas Day 1958 (we lost)

Went to Clee Grammar. Joined Her Majesty's Customs and Excise in 1968 at Immingham

Married my wife, a nurse at the General, in 1973 and bought our first house in Claremont Road. Our lad Matt (named after the great man) was born in 1976

Transferred to Ipswich in 1978 to work on drugs Investigation Duties. Retired early in 2005

Wanted to move back 'home' on retirement but my wife is a Skeggy lass not Grimsby plus our son and two grand daughters are down here so stuck in silly Suffolk for life I guess.

Only ever been in Portman Road in the 40+ years I have been here when the Mariners were the visitors

I lived in Martlesham Heath for a few years, the only time I went into Portman Road was to see Joe Cocker and Rod Stewart! Town and Ipswich weren't in the same league at the time!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 205
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.