Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 307 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,668 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 All Recommend Thread
Toppy
December 3, 2020, 4:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: +83
It’s amazing how well travelled and widespread Town fans are.
Here is my story for those interested;
Another Croft Baker baby (1964), schools were Queen Mary Avenue Infants, Barcroft Junior and Matthew Humberstone Comprehensive.
I was a regular attendee at Blundell Park (season ticket holder for some years). Seen some great players and great games. I’m always impressed when people discuss their first game as I have no idea when mine was (it was probably with my Grandad taking advantage of the gates opening at half time!)
At 18 moved to Stafford to study at what was then a Poly (do they still exist?) and have never returned to live in Meggies (but returned regularly for Town matches, family and friends).
After Poly had work spells in Leicester, Maidenhead and Edinburgh before departing the UK for Denmark in 1989 and have never returned to live in the UK (occasional returns for Town matches & family).
I have travelled much with my family and met many great people as we lived/worked in many fabulous places, visiting many other amazing places when travelling between work locations and ’home’. I always thought it was better than being on holiday as you were paid for it and met more locals!
So we have lived in:
Australia (Sydney) 3 times including the 2000 Olympics & Millennium celebration. Great place.
Luxembourg twice. Also a great place – if somewhat surreal.
Norway (Oslo) twice. Including Oslo Olympics and temperatures below minus 25. Beautiful place.
Holland 3 times (Utrecht and Gouda) – great people, nice country.
Hungary (Budapest) – interesting as it was shortly after the borders opened.
Poland (Warsaw) – commuting from Denmark.
And of course Denmark, where I have been for the last 14 years.
I currently have a job in Sweden (Stockholm), so I am (or was!) regularly there (nice City).  
3 grown children, 1 born in Luxembourg and 2 in Norway. Unfortunately, they never got into Town, or any other team for that matter – perhaps one of the disadvantages of travelling so much.
Travelling has been great but I have missed much about the UK; Tuesday nights at Blundell Park, fish and chips, decent beer, salt and vinegar crisps, good curries, decent pubs and conversation in a language that makes sense (at least over the first few beers!).
In the pre-internet days (not that long ago really) I used to look forward to receiving the Gy Sports telegraph in the post and Sunday morning visits to the station to collect a British newspaper for the footy news. Now I have more up to date information about Town than I ever had (sometimes I think it is too much information!) and thanks to iFollow I probably see more games than ever (lucky me!).

Up the Mariners and I hope fans can soon return as I think the team and the fans need it.

Alan (Toppy)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 205
psgmariner
December 3, 2020, 7:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Commuting from Denmark to Warsaw? Bet that was an early start.

Private Message
Reply: 201 - 205
DawlishMariner
December 3, 2020, 9:20pm
Coke Drinker
Approval: +39
Born 1947 in Hammersmith, but moved to Grimsby with father's job (administrator at Grimsby General Hospital) when a few months old. Lived Compton Drive, then Park Drive. Went to St Martins School (principals Mrs Amos and Miss Bemrose)..Remember seeing some famous names in matches between Town and "Old England XI". Also remember being upset that I missed the 5-5 draw with Fulham in the Cup because it clashed with a friend's birthday party at the Winter Gardens.
Moved back down to London area again with father's job in 1954, but tried to see Town whenever they came within reasonable travelling distance. Several league games at Watford spring to mind, also remember going to Upton Park when West Ham were in their pomp for a Cup or League Cup replay when Town were unlucky to lose to a West Ham goal when the linesman flagged, Town stopped but the ref didn't blow his whistle - must have been about 1968. Occasional town games only then right through to my retirement in 2003, when I moved to Dawlish, Devon (where my aunt had been matron of the cottage hospital when I was a toddler).
Since 2003 I have seen Town at Exeter, Plymouth, Torquay, Yeovil and Forest Green, as well as Cardiff and Wembley. Actually returned to Grimsby in 2006 to show my late wife where I spent my childhood. She was pleasantly surprised: I think the "Grim" in the town's name gives a misleading impression, although I do realise there are some depressed areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 205
Belfast Town
December 3, 2020, 10:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 19
Like many of us, born in Croft Baker and lived in Grimsby until I left to go to polytechnic down south when 18.

Went to Western infants, then Hereford School.

Left school at 16 and went to work for Tom Sleights on the Fish Docks, before deciding to go back to school to study A levels.

Lived in Stevenage and worked in London until 1999, when I became a romantic migrant and moved to Belfast.

My first Town game was home to Chesterfield in 1970. Was lifted out of the Barrett’s Stand by my dad to sit on the touch line during the Exeter championship winning match in 1972.

Used to get into Town home games free in the early 1970s because my mate Jeremy Pearson’s Mam ran the Pontoon cafe.

Since moving away I’ve seen around 10 matches a season.

Town ‘til I die.  UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 205
Toppy
December 4, 2020, 7:10am
Shandy Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: +83
Quoted from psgmariner
Commuting from Denmark to Warsaw? Bet that was an early start.

I used to meet with a group travelling from the UK so they had an even earlier start
We were there when the Iceland volcano erupted and all flights were cancelled. That made for an interesting commute home (or not for one of us)!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 205
FishOutOfWater
December 4, 2020, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Toppy
It’s amazing how well travelled and widespread Town fans are.
Here is my story for those interested;
Another Croft Baker baby (1964), schools were Queen Mary Avenue Infants, Barcroft Junior and Matthew Humberstone Comprehensive.
I was a regular attendee at Blundell Park (season ticket holder for some years). Seen some great players and great games. I’m always impressed when people discuss their first game as I have no idea when mine was (it was probably with my Grandad taking advantage of the gates opening at half time!)
At 18 moved to Stafford to study at what was then a Poly (do they still exist?) and have never returned to live in Meggies (but returned regularly for Town matches, family and friends).
After Poly had work spells in Leicester, Maidenhead and Edinburgh before departing the UK for Denmark in 1989 and have never returned to live in the UK (occasional returns for Town matches & family).
I have travelled much with my family and met many great people as we lived/worked in many fabulous places, visiting many other amazing places when travelling between work locations and ’home’. I always thought it was better than being on holiday as you were paid for it and met more locals!
So we have lived in:
Australia (Sydney) 3 times including the 2000 Olympics & Millennium celebration. Great place.
Luxembourg twice. Also a great place – if somewhat surreal.
Norway (Oslo) twice. Including Oslo Olympics and temperatures below minus 25. Beautiful place.
Holland 3 times (Utrecht and Gouda) – great people, nice country.
Hungary (Budapest) – interesting as it was shortly after the borders opened.
Poland (Warsaw) – commuting from Denmark.
And of course Denmark, where I have been for the last 14 years.
I currently have a job in Sweden (Stockholm), so I am (or was!) regularly there (nice City).  
3 grown children, 1 born in Luxembourg and 2 in Norway. Unfortunately, they never got into Town, or any other team for that matter – perhaps one of the disadvantages of travelling so much.
Travelling has been great but I have missed much about the UK; Tuesday nights at Blundell Park, fish and chips, decent beer, salt and vinegar crisps, good curries, decent pubs and conversation in a language that makes sense (at least over the first few beers!).
In the pre-internet days (not that long ago really) I used to look forward to receiving the Gy Sports telegraph in the post and Sunday morning visits to the station to collect a British newspaper for the footy news. Now I have more up to date information about Town than I ever had (sometimes I think it is too much information!) and thanks to iFollow I probably see more games than ever (lucky me!).

Up the Mariners and I hope fans can soon return as I think the team and the fans need it.

Alan (Toppy)

For those interested?  
That's some story Toppy
I too went to QMA Infants and to Barcroft  ( and where I lived on Lovett Street, it was literally cross the street and I was in the school entrance )
That's where our paths went in different directions... although that one connection will always remain no matter where we are

All Town Aren't We!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 205 - 205
21 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.