Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 375 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,656 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Alkalineroger
November 26, 2020, 11:30pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +61
Gold Stars: 1
I’ll join in suppose I’m an exile, though the border to the very southern tip of Lincolnshire is only a 5 minute drive away it’s still the best part of a 2 hour drive.
Born the son of a docker in 1979 in cleethorpes and lived in Immingham til I left.
First game in 1992 in the Buckley era, was hooked from then on.
Attended when lifts allowed but for a lot of my childhood it was the voice on John Tondeur.
Moved to Lincoln in 1999 for no good reason.
Moved back to Immingham in mid 2000 and started working for a railfreight company in October 2000, full time employment was the start of attending as many games as shifts would allow.
Moved to Doncaster in 2001 with work but still enjoyed the short drive to the football.
When my dad retired he regained his love for grimsby having not attended since he was young and we became season ticket holders along with my nephew and my other half who is now a committed town fan., I’ll never forget the first time he came to a game with me and seemed to recognise and say hello to almost everyone as we walked in.
Started working in Peterborough in 2015 and moved there in 2016 but kept a season ticket until he became ill in 2018, attendances became sporadic away games until he passed away in 2019 and I’m still to attend a home game since.
Currently in Murrow in Cambridgshire which isn’t as glamorous as some on here.
Being a town fan has always been a thought when I’ve looked at jobs and even now with half an eye to retirement I still can’t imagine being too far from town, parking my car and then walking down to a Tuesday night game in November or December is so evocative to me, that first glimpse of the floodlights gets me every time, The club is a massive part of my connection to the area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 205
Manchester Mariner
November 26, 2020, 11:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Born in Nunsthorpe maternity in 1978, first year lived at Killingholme but then moved to Cleethorpes. Got into football in the mid 80s so my dad would take me to reserve team games if we were playing one of the bigger first division reserve teams, I suppose because it had an element of glamour and was cheap. I remember a proper freezing night watching Liverpool reserves put 5 or 6 past our reserves. Massively lucky that I started hoing to watch the first team as Buckley came in so came of age watching some absolutely beautiful football.

Schooled at Middlethorpe, Lindsey and then onto Grimsby College through to Lincoln University in the late 90s/early 2000's. Briefly came back home but then moved to Manchester as I had friends there and loads more opportunities there job wise, socially, gigwise. Worked at the Commonwealth Games and then onto the same company I'm still working for to this day working with various football clubs and sports organisations. Moved to Warrington as my future wife lived there and the houses are more reasonably priced whilst being easily commutable to Manchester in despite of Northern Rails often abysmal service.

The last season ticket I had at BP was the season we went down to the conference. Been going mostly to away games when I have the chance to, with maybe 2 or 3 home games a season. Still proud to be Town and always find people at work who support the bigger clubs look out for Town results to have a chat about come Monday morning.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 205
Norseman
November 27, 2020, 12:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +286
Gold Stars: 48
Born 56. Lived on the yarborough estate. Moved to limerick where my dad was from.Mam brought us back about 72. Various jobs all over fishing, merchant navy,. Moved to perth oz, Came back to good old Gy. Living happily back in my home town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 205
Norseman
November 27, 2020, 12:24am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +286
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Norseman
Born 56. Lived on the yarborough estate. Moved to limerick where my dad was from.Mam brought us back about 72. Various jobs all over fishing, merchant navy,. Moved to perth oz, Came back to good old Gy. Living happily back in my home town

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 205
livosnose
November 27, 2020, 1:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Left Keelby aged 18 went out Uni , lived in Mallorca , Gran Canaria , Bingley , Saltaire (Shipley) and now Grand Cayman. Pretty sure I’m never coming back.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 205
perthgeoff
November 27, 2020, 1:20am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +196
Born in Westwoodside,a small village near Epworth,in 1930. Moved to Scunthorpe in 1936 when Dad got a job at Appleby Frodingham steel works.During the war the Mariners played their home games at the Old Show Ground inScunthorpe where I became an instant fan and have followed them with a passion ever since.In 1946 moved to Stockport again because of dad`s work but attended many games around the area to follow Grimsby.Emigrated to Perth,western Australia in 1961 with my family but have always always visited Blundell Park on my many returns to the UK and am still as passionate about the Mariners as in my younger days.and will not change,nor do I want to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 205
lukeo
November 27, 2020, 6:15am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Born and bred in Grimsby and lived in the same house in the willows Estate for 23 years (my mum is still their now)

Moved down to Devon to be with a woman. 1 child, 9 years and 8 'homes' later I'm now living alone just south of Taunton in a nice village, living above someone's double garage.

Everyone who knows me down here knows me as a Grimsby fan as I make it quite clear they're the only team I'll ever support.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 205
friskneymariner
November 27, 2020, 8:48am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Born in Crowtree Lane in Louth, within a shanked 7 iron of the second fairway at Louth Golf Club, I’ve only ever lived in Tetney and Covenham so can barely be called an exile. We’ve now gone from two season tickets (me and eldest) to three (me and both) to four (me, wife and both). Favourite Town moments include being in the 22000 against Exeter, various amazing cup runs to Wembley 2016. Nathan’s goal still makes me cry now- let’s hope we never have to do non league ever again. Utm

Sledging at Hubbard Hills ?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 205
friskneymariner
November 27, 2020, 9:03am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Born in Wainfleet my dad used to take me to see the mariners from age of 8  .4 mile bike ride to Firsby Station catch King Cross-Cleethorpes at Firsby off at Cleethorpes to the ground ,returned back  fish and chips at Suttons of Wainfleet on coal fired range(know this is heresy but much better than Cleethorpes ) only is was raining fast of exceptionally cold did we catch train at Wainflleet.

At age of 18 went to Teesside Polytechnic liven in Redcar and Saltburn, after that moved back worked at Joe Corals for a bit (only job I could get) often at Scarthoe branch as relief manager.Bought business in Friskney spent 10 years there ,went back to Hull University to take Masters Degree,Worked at L.C.C. moved to Spalding 15 years there got promoted to live  to H.Q. at Lincoln refused to live in City of Dammed,was there 14 years took early retirement/redundancy in 2012 after austerity and spending cuts made job impossible.Sued County Council they settled out of court  been retired and taking authority on eversince.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 205
Ipswin
November 27, 2020, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

Great post Grimsby Pete

I bet you haven’t seen this many ticks since you and Ipswin ran that Suffolk sheep rustling operation 😬

Please get it right it was 'shagging'

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 205
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.