Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 155 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,406 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
November 27, 2020, 11:27am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from buckstown
Born and bred in Grimsby and spent most of my childhood on the Yarborough estate. Worked for Findus (as my dad did) but moved to the north east for work in 1982 living in Whitley Bay and Tynemouth.
Moved south to work for Quaker Oats in 1990 and been living in Hazlemere near High Wycombe ever since. Last full time job was working for Nestle's pet food division, then did some part time self employed before throwing in the towel 3 years ago
Still enjoy visiting Grimsby for football and a beer in the Notts. My kids and grandsons are town fans so long may that continue

I lived 6 years in Wycombe.  started in about 86 and then went back 89-94.  If you played Sunday league we could have been on the same pitch .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 205
Mayaman
November 27, 2020, 11:33am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka
Born Louth, First Town game v Chelsea aged 7. Still have the old Black and White programme.  Lived Louth and Grimsby till age 21 when I moved to Oz.

Went "bush" for a few years and actually met another Mariner also from Louth. (He actually successfully feigned madness to get himself and his family repatriated to the UK).

Back to Lincolnshire in 2005, now retired.

Was on a budget trip to Oz and I went to get my head shaved.  WHen he told me the price, I said. "No thanks mate, I am on a budget"  As I was walking out the door he called me and asked who I supported.  I told him I was a Town fan and he said, "I'll do it for half price".  He came from Caistor.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 205
Mayaman
November 27, 2020, 11:53am
Brandy Drinker
I was born in 67 in Croft Baker.  I grew up near People's Park.  My cousin took me to my first Town came and I was hooked.  My dad wasn't into footie so my uncle took me to the Mike Brolly 2 V Everton 1 game.  As soon as I was old enough to go myself, I did,  Every home game.  

I joined the RAF and moved around a bit.  A pattern repeated to this dead 36 years later. When I got out I moved to High Wycombe.  I spent 5 years there.  My best mate was a Sheff U fan so we either went to a Town game or a Sheff Utd. game.  We also went as neutrals to Brentford, QPR and followed non-league Marlow.  Never really liked Wycombe Wanderers.  

When I got made redundant I started teaching English as a foreign language and moved to Mexico.  I Followed a local team in Queretaro until I moved to Mexico City.  I used to bus across town to get a newspaper that had reports on Town's game. After that I moved back to London and watched GTFC when they were in or around the capital - including '98.  Then I hit the road again. Costa Rica (followed La Liga), Spain (Real Betis), Poland (nobody), Germany (miles from human habitation, let alone a football ground), Istanbul (went to one Besiktas game which turned into a full scale riot), Sri Lanka (no footie), Malaysia (meh) and now Vietnam.  I go to watch most games with a Crewe fan - i've lost a few bets regarding his time and mine.  He does have a lot of contacts so we get in a lot of sporting events free.  Go to most home games and been to a few away games, including a cup tie in Thailand.  If I go out on a Saturday night , I'm usually home for ifollow, which many cannot understand.  Am I mad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 205
FishOutOfWater
November 27, 2020, 12:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I was born in Grimsby but parents moved to North Yorkshire when I was 5. Went to Uni in Hull partly so it would be easy to watch Town then ended up living in Leeds and meeting my wife before moving to Knaresborough four and a half years ago which is where we now live. I have three kids. Daughter is nearly two but my lads who are 7 and 5 are big town fans and have watched every league game this season on ifollow though they can't wait to get back to BP. Have just bollocked the 7 year old as we are giving away an old pine dining table and when I got under it to take it apart I spotted 'We are Town' scrawled on the underside in felt tip. I was secretly delighted though.

Good lad! He's got his head screwed on hasn't he... I'd give him some extra pocket money if I were you!    

The "We are Town" phrase is one I relate to.... I was fortunate enough to be a face in the crowd on the front cover of the book of that name ( photo of us when we invaded Plough Lane 18-2-89 )

I know it sounds a bit maudlin but when I finally shuffle off this mortal coil, if they do a programme for the funeral, that would be my choice of cover, as long as it's not breaching any copyright!

Don't want anyone suing my estate!   

Best make sure I let the kids know too!  

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 93 - 205
Posh Harry
November 27, 2020, 1:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
I was born in Peterborough (in a pub) and moved to Skeggy as a toddler.

Dad took me to my first game which was the Sheff Utd championship winning game in 1980 and was hooked from then. Went on a regular basis through then and when at Uni in Sheffield before the family moved back to Peterborough which is where I have been for the last 25 years.

Life and family now mean that I get to a max of 4 or 5 games a year but try and make at least one trip a year to BP.

Always proud to be a Mariner and always proud to tell people who I support and will be until the last nail goes in.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 205
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 27, 2020, 1:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I have found this fascinating Pete, thanks for posting the thread.

A couple of things stand out for me. there are a lot of uni graduates amongst the exiles. I suppose it makes sense though in earlier times more graduates seemed to come back to the area to work in the management of the big local food and fish firms that are no longer around. The other is the frequency with which the name Clee Grammar crops up. Again perhaps not surprising. The Old Humberstonians is I believe still thriving.

On the subject of the latter, I remember Jimmy Fell, another Old Humberstonian, was about to be transferred to Everton but had been invited to play for the Old Boys against the school XI in the annual fixture. The school side were threatened by Owen Roberts before the game not to foul Jimmy or do anything to damage him!

Jim was of course another one who was drawn back to the area at the end of his career like many others including Matt Tees. I was such a fan of Matt's that "Matt Tees For King" appeared on every school  notebook of mine in 1964/5 and then at uni after that. It even found its way to the bottom of my mock A level History answer paper.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 205
Heswall Mariner
November 27, 2020, 1:30pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Born in Louth due to outbreak of some virus in Cleethorpes. Lived in Reynolds St. backing on to the Rec. Moved to Cheshire when my Dad changed from working for the Gas Board to MANWEB.
Always used to come to Clee though for Summer hols. etc & stay with my Aunt in Crow Hill Ave. Still associate those days with blue sea & sky, golden sands & that  freezing cold swimming pool - that last bit is probably the only thing that was fact!.
First game  7-2 v Leyton Orient in '57. From then on I have remained in cloud cuckoo land & still half expect that sort of result every week Not been to BP for some time but  I have seen us in many grounds around the N.West - including unlikely venues like Rhyl & Runcorn.
Would probably gone to Tranmere last Saturday if not for Covid stuff - so every cloud has a silver lining.
Another  Saturday without a game this week - but hey ho I feel another 7 - 2 v Exeter on Tuesday eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 205
WesternMariner
November 27, 2020, 1:36pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +874
Gold Stars: 34
I’d noticed that about the graduates as well Ron - I’m one who went away and got work in Lancashire and Liverpool but then moved back to good old Gy - professionally the worst move I ever made but all my and the wife’s family were still here and you can’t beat grandparents as baby sitters! Did mean I could get to BP however although working weekends meant not as often as I would like to. Covid has made me realise that life is short and when we can get back to the football I’m going to make sure I work less and watch more!

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 205
friskneymariner
November 27, 2020, 1:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
I think in my case as a graduate I had to be very transient. I made the conscious decision I was Lincolnshire born and bred and after 3 years on Teesside was not going to live out of area again.Over the years that has probably cost me thousands,but I always put my mental health first.Supporting Town has given me some sense of belonging and continuity and has kept me grounded .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 205
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 27, 2020, 2:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from friskneymariner
I think in my case as a graduate I had to be very transient. I made the conscious decision I was Lincolnshire born and bred and after 3 years on Teesside was not going to live out of area again.Over the years that has probably cost me thousands,but I always put my mental health first.Supporting Town has given me some sense of belonging and continuity and has kept me grounded .

And your mental health has been helped by supporting GTFC? Amazing!!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 205
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.