Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 145 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,619 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
November 28, 2020, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37

I remember that Chelsea game vividly - it was obvious there were loads of Chelsea fans in the ground but when they scored the first goal they started celebrating all over the place which kicked off loads of fights. The police and stewards didn't know what to do. For a short period it looked like there might be carnage but it calmed down as Chelsea took control of the game. It's possibly the only time I've wanted Town to lose (we had nothing to play for) so that the whole thing didn't kick off. I remember being p*ssed off at the end that they were on our pitch celebrating.

Hmmm.... nothing to play for?

Admittedly we were going to be in the same division the following season but we could have finished fourth with a win over Chelsea

IF we had beaten Chelsea though it would have meant Wednesday got the title ( and after the Kev Moore penalty con at Hillsborough that would have added insult to injury ) so maybe it was best all round

Just think though if the play-offs had been introduced then.... you never know we might have made it to the top tier because on our day in the 83-84 season we were as good as or even better than those that got promoted

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 130 - 205
Withnail
November 28, 2020, 1:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Les Brechin

I think the Norwich keeper that day was Chris Woods.

Town fans spend ages that afternoon clearing the pitch of snow and it was only one of a very few to go ahead that night. The lines were painted blue that night too IIRC.

You're absolutely right Les, it was Chris Woods. I don't remember anything about the game other than the snowballs and the fact we lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 205
KingstonMariner
November 28, 2020, 1:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I remember that Norwich game in 95 that Withnail mentioned. Went up on the train on my own (exiles’ burden). Jar at Liverpool St, then cans on the train. Couple in Norwich with my brother who’d come down from home. Great game. Town second in the table that night behind Millwall (who went down that season).

On the way back a young lad with a cockney accent commented as he passed on my Town top. Thought  ‘sarky southern git’. Went to the buffet car where I got chatting to him and his mate. Both Town fans - first one was son of an exile. Turns out he lived less than half a mile from where I lived in Kingston where he was a student. Other lad in Putney. Then another bloke turns up ‘where you going?’ ‘London? Whereabouts, Kingston?’ (Jokingly) ‘no Surbiton’ (mile down the road!).

Still in touch with the cockney who’s now in Manchester, and I was Surbiton lad’s best man last year. Both of us in New Malden now. His stepson is an old friend of SuttonMariner.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 205
Mayaman
November 28, 2020, 3:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,393
Gold Stars: 73
[/quote]

Moved back down to London (Highbury, Finchley, Highgate, Archway) afterwards where I lived until 2006. This coincided with a downward trajectory for Town. Must admit the  04/05 season is a blur - I'd either lost interest or deliberately blocked it out of my memory. '06 was admittedly memorable. Saw us beat Spurs in an Arsenal pub in Finchley. Went to Cardiff for the play off heartbreak and a dozen league games.

[/quote]

2006 I was in Spain for that play off final.   I called the Irish pub ans asked the if they'd show it.  As nothing else was on sporting wise they said yes.  I went down there with a scouser early and decided to make a day of it.  Swanky meal and all.  Just about kick of time a load of Irish lads came in and wanted to watch the Gaelic footie.  The gaffer said I'd requested it.  They were getting a bit lippy and saying that it was an effing Irish pub. I'm so glad my mate came with me.  Built like the proverbial house and a kick boxer.  To be fair the barmen stood their ground cos I'd called ahead.  Awful game.  I wish i'd watched the Gaelic footie.  Did we get a Pen disallowed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 205
Mayaman
November 28, 2020, 3:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Lifelong commitment comes through in every post.  We have one of the strongest exile networks for a club of our level; everywhere I've lived in this country I've come across a Grimsby fan nearby. Almost seems like the degree of separation thing; everyone knows somebody who knows somebody who supports Grimsby. Even the Queen - John Major - Norman Lamont! I wonder if it will be as strong in 20 years time when the "McMenemy" generation are starting to fade away...

Is there anything else?  I've followed lots of teams on my travels but It's Grimsby who get me fired up.  It's the Mariners who break my heart but I go back for another battering. It's Town who make feel high after a good run.  When we are in the doldrums I can do nothing but watch or listen like a moth to a flame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 205
Mayaman
November 28, 2020, 3:40pm
Brandy Drinker
It's awesome how football can unite.  I was working in Costa RIca working illegally so I felt a bit perturbed when my boss called the cops to one guest ( I was working in a Yoga retreat. - chill out!)  The Police in Costa Rica are well tooled up as there is no army.  there were three cops and and was stood there looking me up and down as he held on to his sub machine gun.  Either he wanted to us me as target practice or bend me over I wasn't sure. The he said, "Do you like La Liga?".  I was wearing one of their shirts. "I told him i'd gone the night before to the game and it was a cracker."  He said he'd been too.  I fished out a red and black Liga keyring and handed it to him.  He put it on his trigger guard, beamed and said, "If you ever have any problems in Costa RIca let me know. "
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 205
mariner83
November 28, 2020, 4:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
My grandad moved to Gravesend Kent in the early 70's to teach which is where I grew up, I lived on and off with him for years until 17.

Small world, I was born in Gravesend lived there (well Chalk & Strood) til I was 5.  
I'm not an exile but I've never lived in NE Lincs  
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 136 - 205
Withnail
November 28, 2020, 4:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I remember that Norwich game in 95 that Withnail mentioned. Went up on the train on my own (exiles’ burden). Jar at Liverpool St, then cans on the train. Couple in Norwich with my brother who’d come down from home. Great game. Town second in the table that night behind Millwall (who went down that season).

On the way back a young lad with a cockney accent commented as he passed on my Town top. Thought  ‘sarky southern git’. Went to the buffet car where I got chatting to him and his mate. Both Town fans - first one was son of an exile. Turns out he lived less than half a mile from where I lived in Kingston where he was a student. Other lad in Putney. Then another bloke turns up ‘where you going?’ ‘London? Whereabouts, Kingston?’ (Jokingly) ‘no Surbiton’ (mile down the road!).

Still in touch with the cockney who’s now in Manchester, and I was Surbiton lad’s best man last year. Both of us in New Malden now. His stepson is an old friend of SuttonMariner.

I got the train back to Liverpool St after that game as well and then on to Kingston... funnily enough...where I lived at the time, just off Penrhyn Rd!

Think I may know the Town supporting Londoner who you spoke to at the buffet. Is it Rob who grew up in Barnet? If so, I was an uni and played football with him. He introduced himself to me when he saw my Ciba Town kit at a uni game  If so, small world!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 205
FishOutOfWater
November 28, 2020, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Mayaman
[/quote]

Moved back down to London (Highbury, Finchley, Highgate, Archway) afterwards where I lived until 2006. This coincided with a downward trajectory for Town. Must admit the  04/05 season is a blur - I'd either lost interest or deliberately blocked it out of my memory. '06 was admittedly memorable. Saw us beat Spurs in an Arsenal pub in Finchley. Went to Cardiff for the play off heartbreak and a dozen league games.

2006 I was in Spain for that play off final.   I called the Irish pub ans asked the if they'd show it.  As nothing else was on sporting wise they said yes.  I went down there with a scouser early and decided to make a day of it.  Swanky meal and all.  Just about kick of time a load of Irish lads came in and wanted to watch the Gaelic footie.  The gaffer said I'd requested it.  They were getting a bit lippy and saying that it was an effing Irish pub. I'm so glad my mate came with me.  Built like the proverbial house and a kick boxer.  To be fair the barmen stood their ground cos I'd called ahead.  Awful game.  I wish i'd watched the Gaelic footie.  Did we get a Pen disallowed.
[/quote]

We should have had a penalty when it was 0-0 in the first half

Parkinson was taken out running on goal but the ref played on

Steve Mildenhall saved a penalty that Cheltenham got in the second half but by then they were already ahead 1-0 and that's how it stayed

A total disappointment to that season when we had promotion in our grasp but fell at the final hurdle, twice
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 138 - 205
Withnail
November 28, 2020, 5:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Here we are.

[youtube]yo0CfblBtP8[/youtube]

Thanks Les. Enjoyed watching that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 205
21 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.