Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
Withnail and 145 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,624 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc98
November 28, 2020, 7:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Born in Grimsby, grew up in Humberston and then Caistor. Went to University in Sheffield and returned to the area after that. Travelled the world a bit and ended up meeting my wife and settling in Sacramento, California. When I got here actually found another big Grimsby fan who lived in Davis, 20 minutes from me! Turned out she's exactly the same age, also grew up in Humberston but I went to C of E and she went to Cloverfields! Small world! Unfortunately she's now moved to the east coast so there's no official Mariners fan club in the area anymore but my friends kids go to "soccer" practice in their Grimsby kits that I brought them back! Try and catch as many games as I can, ifollow is a life saver. But when we're doing poorly it definitely tests my resolve getting up for the 7am kick off times and me not being anything like a morning person! Watched the local USL team a few times (same level as Andrew Fox), it's not a bad way to spend an evening but the level isn't great, they're converting to an MLS team in a couple of years so maybe that will improve it but there's nothing quite like watching the mariners. UTM

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 205
Epworth Mariner
November 28, 2020, 8:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
Born at Croft baker in Cleethorpes in 1958.......excrement that’s a long time ago!

Lived in the pontoon at home games........all the family were in the fishing industry......

Got married and worked all over the UK and a few parts of the world......but came home and settled in Epworth in the isle of Axholme over 26 years ago......Alan Buckley thought we lived on an island when I told him!

Followed town since I was around 9 years old......my dad stood on the constitutional corner for years until I moved to the big pontoon.....

Best mates with Terry Donovan and Baralad from school and still fly the Gtfc flag despite the locals moans.

Just want to see the park rocking again like it used to.......Exeter for example ......rammed and people on the Baratt stand roof!

Swopping ends at half time......lol

Not really an exile but feels like it sometimes.....

Memories forever !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 205
KingstonMariner
November 28, 2020, 9:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Withnail

I got the train back to Liverpool St after that game as well and then on to Kingston... funnily enough...where I lived at the time, just off Penrhyn Rd!

Think I may know the Town supporting Londoner who you spoke to at the buffet. Is it Rob who grew up in Barnet? If so, I was an uni and played football with him. He introduced himself to me when he saw my Ciba Town kit at a uni game  If so, small world!

It is Rob! Very small world. He moved to São Paolo to get married, back a couple of years later, then his ex came back to the UK, moved to Manchester and had a kid together.

Occasionally meet up with a couple of his mates from uni called Nick, Raj, and Pompey Steve. Don’t know if you knew them.

They were gonna close the buffet after Ipswich to cash up but we persuaded them to stay open (4 thirsty Mariners). As Rob bore a vague resemblance to Herome Flynn and the other guy looked like Robson Green the lass at the buffet did the usual announcement for  ‘teas, coffee, cold beverages, light refreshments....and Robson and Jerome.’

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 205
Withnail
November 28, 2020, 9:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It is Rob! Very small world. He moved to São Paolo to get married, back a couple of years later, then his ex came back to the UK, moved to Manchester and had a kid together.

Occasionally meet up with a couple of his mates from uni called Nick, Raj, and Pompey Steve. Don’t know if you knew them.

They were gonna close the buffet after Ipswich to cash up but we persuaded them to stay open (4 thirsty Mariners). As Rob bore a vague resemblance to Herome Flynn and the other guy looked like Robson Green the lass at the buffet did the usual announcement for  ‘teas, coffee, cold beverages, light refreshments....and Robson and Jerome.’

Well sodomist me! I thought it had to be Rob.

IIRC Rob's Dad was from Caistor but Rob was born and grew up in Barnet. I think he supported Town but Barnet, then non league, were his second team.

I've not seen Rob for 20 odd years and always wondered what happened to him. Glad to hear he's well.

I was probably on the same train as you but didn't see Rob. I was a bit worse for wear and must admit I've no recollection of who I even went to the game with. Think it must have been Trawler.

I don't know those names you mentioned but may recognise their faces if Rob knocked about with them in Kingston.

Is The Ram Inn still going in Kingston and Volts nightclub?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 205
newarkmariner
November 28, 2020, 9:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
this is great reading, well heres my story

i was born in croft baker in June 1968,we lived on Elsenham road and then moved to Waltham, my late father used to take me to games when he was home from sea, he died on the Sioux gy311 in 1976,
I left Gy in 1986 when i joined the RAF and didn't come back till 1997,
in 1998 i took over  the Cricketers pub were Les Brechin was my quiz master ,pool captain and footy club sec,hi buddy, big hello too Meza who i played with when we won div 4,good times mate(ive still got my end off season programme and often read it with a giggle.

In 2004 i moved to North shields as my then wife was a Geordie, I ran pubs there for 9yrs,until my marriage breakup in 2013, i then moved too Newark running the Queens head and Old Kings arms until ill health put a halt too pub life ,im still happily living in Newark with my partner Dawn,i now drive for a living which is a lot less stressful than running pubs.

i manage too attend about 80% off games home and away as i no longer work weekends and cant wait too be back in the pontoon with my brother cheering the lads on.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 205
Madeleymariner
November 28, 2020, 10:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
I didnt think the RAF existed in the 1880s, shows how poor I was in history at school
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 205
Saudimariner
November 28, 2020, 10:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Love all these stories!

I've been a bit of a nomad all my adult life, but supported the Mariners wherever I went.  Follow the scores on the Telegraph website and watch the goals when they come up on YouTube.
Born in Nunsthorpe Maternity in 1950 (yes, that old!), lived in Kent Street until I was 5, then the Weelsby Estate.  Went to Bradford Uni, then back to Grimsby to work in the food industry.  Gradually moved further away to Grantham via Brigg, then Worcestershire, then York, but finally got out and lived in Italy (supposed to be "living the dream" but it wasn't really).  Lived in Cairo for 3 years, then back to Grimsby to look after my Dad, who was dying of cancer.  Married my American girl (3rd wife), then went to work in Riyadh (hence the "Saudimariner") for 3 years while my wife bought the house I've now retired to in Maine, USA.
I'm a 3rd generation supporter - first saw the Mariners when they came back to GY station with Allenby Chilton in 1956, having just won the 3rd division north title (the only team in the league to win a title in the first season after re-election), then became a regular in the boys' paddock in the Barratt stand.  Got my season ticket in the Main Stand when I became and old (ish) man.
UTM from the Ellsworth, Maine branch of the Mariners Supporters Club (1 member)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 205
Meza
November 28, 2020, 10:17pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from newarkmariner
this is great reading, well heres my story

i was born in croft baker in June 1968,we lived on Elsenham road and then moved to Waltham, my late father used to take me to games when he was home from sea, he died on the Sioux gy311 in 1976,
I left Gy in 1886 when i joined the RAF and didn't come back till 1997,
in 1998 i took over  the Cricketers pub were Les Brechin was my quiz master ,pool captain and footy club sec,hi buddy, big hello too Meza who i played with when we won div 4,good times mate(ive still got my end off season programme and often read it with a giggle.

In 2004 i moved to North shields as my then wife was a Geordie, I ran pubs there for 9yrs,until my marriage breakup in 2013, i then moved too Newark running the Queens head and Old Kings arms until ill health put a halt too pub life ,im still happily living in Newark with my partner Dawn,i now drive for a living which is a lot less stressful than running pubs.

i manage too attend about 80% off games home and away as i no longer work weekends and cant wait too be back in the pontoon with my brother cheering the lads on.

UTM

Remember this mate.

[url=https://postimg.cc/pmfpVKX1][img]https://i.postimg.cc/GmNYQQ0r/DSC-0141.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 205
KingstonMariner
November 28, 2020, 10:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Withnail

Well sodomist me! I thought it had to be Rob.

IIRC Rob's Dad was from Caistor but Rob was born and grew up in Barnet. I think he supported Town but Barnet, then non league, were his second team.

I've not seen Rob for 20 odd years and always wondered what happened to him. Glad to hear he's well.

I was probably on the same train as you but didn't see Rob. I was a bit worse for wear and must admit I've no recollection of who I even went to the game with. Think it must have been Trawler.

I don't know those names you mentioned but may recognise their faces if Rob knocked about with them in Kingston.

Is The Ram Inn still going in Kingston and Volts nightclub?

Yeah that’s right. Caistor. Mick still goes to Town games. Rob does games up in the north west. He’s got a string of clubs he follows (Town, Barnet, Corinthian Casuals, Corinthians of São Paolo, where his wife is from). We were all bladdered on that Norwich train that night . It continued at Waterloo.

Ram is still going strong (in normal years). Volts changed names several times. Not sure if it’s still open. Think Bacchus still is 😆.

Drop me a PM with your name if you wanna get in touch with Rob.

We met another Surbiton based exile on the way to Rushden and Diamonds in about 2003. Still in good buddies. He moved to Norway last year.

Just remembered that as well as meeting some of my best mates following Town, I met my wife because of it. Indirectly. With Rob (usual suspect) in London after Gillingham away.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 205
Bristol Mariner
November 28, 2020, 11:03pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from mariner83

Small world, I was born in Gravesend lived there (well Chalk & Strood) til I was 5.  
I'm not an exile but I've never lived in NE Lincs  

I went to school in Rochester so not far!

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 205
21 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.