Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 235 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,625 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
joe56
November 29, 2020, 11:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
I thought I’d add my two penn’orth before the thread disappears. Born and bred in Louth, and brought up on the council estate in the east of the town, I went to the Grammar School before leaving for Bradford and later Leeds Universities. I moved on to an academic career at Leeds, retiring 37 years later (I know, I know, but honestly no two days were ever the same!). For nearly all of that time I’ve lived in the Spen Valley in West Yorkshire, but it hasn’t stopped me from remaining loyal to Town, regularly making the 170 mile round trip for most of my time here (much of it as a season ticket holder), and going to loads of away games given the good access to all parts of the country from where I live. My first game was against Rotherham on a Good Friday around 1960, and I remember especially the great Johnny Scott, Ron Rafferty and Jimmy Fell. I went on to be a regular in all four stands over the years, but the Barratt was easily the best, creating an amazing atmosphere that’s never been equalled. I was brought up to follow Manchester United as my Dad, a Mancunian, had supported them from childhood in the 1920s. I could easily have become a season ticket holder at Old Trafford (only 45 minutes from my present house), but the pull of the Mariners was too great, and I’d much rather see Town survive a League 2 relegation battle than United win the Champions League. Needless to say, both my lads (born in Dewsbury!😉) were brought up to support Town which didn’t go down well with my late wife, a keen Huddersfield fan! I’ve watched all the iFollow games this season, but can’t wait to get back to Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 205
GY1
November 30, 2020, 1:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +131
Gold Stars: 1
I'm new on here so we'll see how it goes?

I was born in the front room of 146 Rutland St. East Marsh. Went to hilda/weelsby/Harold street schools. Was apprentice fitter at Northern Trawlers during the heyday of the fishing industry. Dad was a fisherman along with his four brothers and other family members. Played local football for Cromwell Rovers. Pontoon end Town fan from 1955/6. Went to sea as engineer for P & O. Met wife at sea (Canadian). Got married at GY registry office.

Lived in Immingham and Goxhill, took a job in the Bahamas, moved to Trinidad, Venezuela and Indonesia, had a flat in Hope St. Cleethorpes which I regret selling! Moved around the states and finished up in St. Louis. Retired to the Tucson area in Arizona 14 years ago (same wife). Met two town fans living in my local area while following the Telegraph’s blog, which used to be interactive. We had a lot of good get togethers through following Town. Sadly, one died, and the other (Ed from Arizona) returned to Cleethorpes, but we keep in touch and discuss town’s performances. One constant over all my travels has been the Mariners even though I have not attended a game for many years. I wear my Town Covid face mask with great pride when I play golf. UTMM!!

GY1 Northern Jewel (Grimsby trawler)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 205
Yossarian
November 30, 2020, 11:02am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,079
Gold Stars: 18
Interesting thread.

Born in Louth, then to Sheffield to study, then London to work then all over the globe with my job depending on where my clients were based. San Francisco, France, SE Asia, Cape Town.  Lived outside of the UK for very long stretches of time.

Married a French girl and now back in Blackheath in London.  I'm now also a French citizen .... something I think my folks find hard to get their heads around.  Seems a long way from spending weekends at my Grans house in Saltfleet.

I still miss Blundell Park on those cold, dark night matches in winter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 205
grimsby pete
November 30, 2020, 11:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Amazing how many were born in Louth.

BUT

I can remember in the old days we had loads of buses bring town fans to home games from Louth, Boston. Brigg. Barton and Market Rasen.

Normally more home buses than away ones.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 205
Yossarian
November 30, 2020, 11:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,079
Gold Stars: 18
What was interesting in Louth is that you never saw any Lincoln fans.  Logically you'd think it would be maybe a 50/50 splitdue to Louth's location - but no.... everyone i knew supported Town.

I dont get back to Lincolnshire much at all anymore - when we do my kids find it hard to understand my family (they have quite a twang on their accent, where as I have a very neutral accent ).   I showed them the house in the middle of the countryside (Skidbrooke) where I spent a few years growing up.  It is super-isolated.  My kids thought it was hilarious.  "What did you do for fun, dad?"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 205
Gaffer58
November 30, 2020, 12:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from grimsby pete
Amazing how many were born in Louth.

BUT

I can remember in the old days we had loads of buses bring town fans to home games from Louth, Boston. Brigg. Barton and Market Rasen.

Normally more home buses than away ones.

I used to use the Brigg branch coach, it was Daisy buses from Broughton, picked up Bigby, Somersby and Grasby, dropped off and picked up outside the old cinema,now McDonald’s, remember at least once having a bottle com3 through the window on Cleethorpes road.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 205
joe56
November 30, 2020, 12:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Yossarian
What was interesting in Louth is that you never saw any Lincoln fans.  Logically you'd think it would be maybe a 50/50 splitdue to Louth's location - but no.... everyone i knew supported Town.

I always wondered if it would have been any different if Louth were located 5 miles further West. I’m not so sure. Quite a lot of people of my parents’ generation worked in Grimsby. My Dad eventually started in business on his own locally, but until then caught the packed 6.30 train to Grimsby Town station for work every day. I remember him telling me about winding up his work mates over the imminent visit of the great Manchester United (his team since childhood). Come the day, United were happy to escape with a 1–1 draw. Dad never lived it down. That was Busby’s first great team. United won the Cup that year which I think was 1948.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 205
friskneymariner
November 30, 2020, 1:11pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Yossarian

I dont get back to Lincolnshire much at all anymore - when we do my kids find it hard to understand my family (they have quite a twang on their accent, where as I have a very neutral accent ).   I showed them the house in the middle of the countryside (Skidbrooke) where I spent a few years growing up.  It is super-isolated.  My kids thought it was hilarious.  "What did you do for fun, dad?"

Railway connection only 20 mins before they ripped the line up.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 205
lew chaterleys lover
November 30, 2020, 1:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from GY1
I'm new on here so we'll see how it goes?

I was born in the front room of 146 Rutland St. East Marsh. Went to hilda/weelsby/Harold street schools. Was apprentice fitter at Northern Trawlers during the heyday of the fishing industry. Dad was a fisherman along with his four brothers and other family members. Played local football for Cromwell Rovers. Pontoon end Town fan from 1955/6. Went to sea as engineer for P & O. Met wife at sea (Canadian). Got married at GY registry office.

Lived in Immingham and Goxhill, took a job in the Bahamas, moved to Trinidad, Venezuela and Indonesia, had a flat in Hope St. Cleethorpes which I regret selling! Moved around the states and finished up in St. Louis. Retired to the Tucson area in Arizona 14 years ago (same wife). Met two town fans living in my local area while following the Telegraph’s blog, which used to be interactive. We had a lot of good get togethers through following Town. Sadly, one died, and the other (Ed from Arizona) returned to Cleethorpes, but we keep in touch and discuss town’s performances. One constant over all my travels has been the Mariners even though I have not attended a game for many years. I wear my Town Covid face mask with great pride when I play golf. UTMM!!

GY1 Northern Jewel (Grimsby trawler)

Dear old Harold Street school. Those were the days, or maybe not.

I wonder if any posters attended Harold Street who were my classmates? Born 1954/55?
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 205
Northbank Mariner
November 30, 2020, 1:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,442
Gold Stars: 171

Dear old Harold Street school. Those were the days, or maybe not.

I wonder if any posters attended Harold Street who were my classmates? Born 1954/55?

I attended in 1974 and shut the school down after torching the cloakroom due to having a mild addiction with fire...set my coat alight on the way to school, thought I'd put it out, obviously not as 9.00 am the school was evacuated and several costs were ruined!... fortunately no one got injured and I got rehabilitated.. whoops..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 205
21 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.