Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,667 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Yossarian
November 30, 2020, 9:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,073
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin
Another thing noticable from the majority of these posts is that when people leave the Grimsby area, they very rarely come back.

I'd never go back - my life is elsewhere and has been for more than 30 years.  Its interesting reading where we have all ended up in life.... and the common memories and experiences that keep this invisible thread between us all.  A football team that has given us a smattering of pleasure and a lot of tears.  Bad football, crushing defeats, some shiny brilliant moments.

I don't miss my old life back in Lincolnshire, but I loved it at the time and it was a very happy time.  I also love my life as it is now...totally different (dare I say better) than I'd have ever dreamed of.   But I think that journey i've certainly gone through in life has been better because of supporting a team like Grimsby where there is no immediate definition "success" and pleasure has to be taken in the small things, the fleeting moments.  

Winning the League every other year and getting to a cup final every 3rd season?  Pah!   Give me these more intimate Town memories shared by fewer of us - they burn just as bright as any Champions League win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 205
gtfc98
November 30, 2020, 9:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from GY1
There's a few of us based out West in North America then. Got a mate up in Vancouver and we often chat all thing town when everyone back home is tucked up in bed! UTM!

Where are you then, CA? My wife's from Vancouver.

I'm in Sacramento, California. Vancouver is a great place! I was in Arizona a few months ago at the Grand Canyon! First time seeing it and won't forget it!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 205
Jackal
November 30, 2020, 11:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
Born in Grimsby to a trawling family. Lived littlefield lane area until 16 then moved out to Caistor way. Lived in the sticks bringing up a family for a lot of years while working in Immingham.
Worked on Spain for a few years before moving back to lincs. Eight years ago moved to Cheshire and actually now live in a lovely part of the world amongst all the premier league players.

Most vivid memories . Being in the Anfield road stand at Liverpool wearing my Parker singing my head off as the best team on the planet put us to the sword 5-0. Being in the Osmond open corner and having a clear view to see both Mick Brolly's goals as we came from behind to beat league leaders Everton. I think the emotion of that night will last forever.

Today we’ve got a box at old Trafford ( prawn sandwiches) and last season had a customer rock up. As usual he asked me if I’m a united fan. I always give them the truth. My club is Grimsby Town. Man Utd is work.
He held his hand out and to shake mine and smiling said he was born in Cleethorpes  and is a die hard town fan.
We sat in the box drinking and chatting about Town all evening. No idea what the result was that night and don’t care. Town through thick and thin...mostly thin.
Get back for half a dozen games a year but not as often as I’d like.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 205
GY1
December 1, 2020, 2:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
[quote=259]

I'm in Sacramento, California. Vancouver is a great place! I was in Arizona a few months ago at the Grand Canyon! First time seeing it and won't forget it![/quote

That's great. I'm well south of the canyon. Spent a few years in Martinez and Bakersfield. Maybe at some time if the opportunity presents itself we could get together?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 205
cambmariner
December 1, 2020, 1:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +12
Born in Cleethorpes and lived in Grimsby until I went to University in Birmingham. Then Adelaide, Sussex, Cambridge, New York with work then finally back to Cambridge where we are settled.

I now get to about 5-10 games a season, mix of home and away as parents still in Lincs. Good to see the usual suspects at away games, Cambridge, Orient, Colchester etc. Two daughters both born in Cambridge so they have adopted the U's despite my efforts. I suppose that's OK. I do believe in sticking with the team of your birthplace. They both have Town as their second team!

First game not till I was 16 - GTFC vs Arsenal in the FA Cup (3-4). Hooked ever since.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 205
KingstonMariner
December 1, 2020, 5:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from cambmariner
Born in Cleethorpes and lived in Grimsby until I went to University in Birmingham. Then Adelaide, Sussex, Cambridge, New York with work then finally back to Cambridge where we are settled.

I now get to about 5-10 games a season, mix of home and away as parents still in Lincs. Good to see the usual suspects at away games, Cambridge, Orient, Colchester etc. Two daughters both born in Cambridge so they have adopted the U's despite my efforts. I suppose that's OK. I do believe in sticking with the team of your birthplace. They both have Town as their second team!

First game not till I was 16 - GTFC vs Arsenal in the FA Cup (3-4). Hooked ever since.

UTM

Better them than one of the Prem teams. You've obviously instilled values in them  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 205
gtfc98
December 1, 2020, 6:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from GY1
[quote=259]

I'm in Sacramento, California. Vancouver is a great place! I was in Arizona a few months ago at the Grand Canyon! First time seeing it and won't forget it![/quote

That's great. I'm well south of the canyon. Spent a few years in Martinez and Bakersfield. Maybe at some time if the opportunity presents itself we could get together?

definitely! UTM

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 205
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 1, 2020, 9:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from GY1
[quote=259]

Bakersfield - home of the world’s tallest thermometer

I have a love / hate relationship with the US. I find it fascinating when I visit but it’s such a backward, shocking place.

We’ve been to Flagstaff near (well, near for the US, it’s over 80 miles away) the south rim a few times and absolutely loved it - one of the few towns / cities in the US that we actually like
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 205
Croxton
December 1, 2020, 9:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from GY1
[quote=259]

If you can make it, and have a taste for adventure, try the Kaibab or Angel Trail from the south rim down for the first thousand feet and get a view from within. Wife and I went for a recce one day and my mate and I did the whole thing next day. Luckily, he's done it twice before when much younger and we were well prepared. Still had to lie down in a dark room for a while. If you fly into Vegas one day and attempt to trek the Canyon the next you will die. We had been there for two weeks. It would be great to take the train from Williams next time. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in SW U.S.A National Parks but much preferred smaller places like Moab. Make it happen guys!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 205
immariner
December 2, 2020, 6:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from cambmariner

UTM

Support the team of your birthplace? Few stray Clee Town and Louth Town fans in here then! And i'd support Gillingham!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 205
21 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.