Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 194 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,628 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
cardiffmariner
November 26, 2020, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,308
Gold Stars: 24
Born in ‘75 and grew up in Scaffa until I left for uni in the nineties.

We’ve been in the fishing industry for generations and after graduating, and not giving much thought to a job, I ended up on the docks with my dad. Wasn’t for me and ended up teaching in the Welsh valleys and spending a good few years in Cardiff. Met my now wife during this time at a school in Newport Andy moved over to Brizzle where she was living. Still here 17 odd years later and live a stones throw from the Memorial Stadium with another Town fan living just round the corner.

Neither of my two kids have taken to footy massively, but if you ask them who they support they’ll say Grimsby!

Still get home occasionally to go to a game with my dad - hope I’ll get to it again some time soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 205
Eastendmariner
November 26, 2020, 6:16pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
ok Pete good idea
I've been a Town fan for 49 years

Born in Nairobi in Kenya   My Mum was Belgian and my Dad Scottish After arriving in the uk 7 days before England Won the World Cup July 1966 on my mum's passport   we moved around the country East London, Newcastle, Hexham, Brigg  Finally settling in LOUTH.  First Town game Boxing Day 1969  V Bradford PA. then a gap till 71-72  where going to BP became regular First Season ticket 74-75 I left the area in 1978 to go and work in London Obviously my passion for the mariners continued I move back in Aug 79  and we all know it was season to remember.Back to London May 1980 I was a ST holder for about 23 years In the mid 80"s help form the London Mariners exiles( no mobiles in those days ) this coincided with AB  the messiah great times and Great football. Ive seen Town at every ground apart from White hart Lane and Old Trafford (old school 92) I still support the Mariners and probably attend 25 to 30 games a season I take my Daughter to Town games and still meet and sometimes travel with  the small network of loyal Town fans that live and work in London UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 205
Eastendmariner
November 26, 2020, 6:18pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
I hop yr keeping well and Safe Tanga  

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 205
Mariner Timsky
November 26, 2020, 6:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Well done Pete a great way to hear from  all the exiles and their stories

After reading Bottesford Mariners post it got me thinking how many others came from Fleetwood to Grimsby for the fish - my mam’s parents so my grandparents came from Fleetwood across to Grimsby and that’s how I ended up I guess being a Grimbarian rather than a Lancashire lad!!

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 205
HertsGTFC
November 26, 2020, 6:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Born in Brigg.
Leeds Uni (Gary Lund's girlfriend [now wife apparently] was also there, a couple of times I had the surreal experience of him catching the same train after the game - nice guy, now an estate agent that plays alot of golf...)
From age 23 on - Lancashire (Burnley then Preston)
Manchester 7 years
Limerick 5 years (about a mile from the Waters ancestral home) - became a county cricketer - County Limerick - about Brigg Town 2nd XI standard.
Leicestershire - Melton Mowbray...

It doesn’t surprise me Gary plays a lot of golf he’s a bit older than me but I went to school with his brothers Kevin and Ian and Gary was good at every sport and quite clever too!!

Before being an exile I lived on the East Marsh up until the late 80s then in Cleethorpes.

Then due to work via...

- Hull
- Newcastle
- Sussex (various)
- London (various)
- Watford
- MK

We ended up in every Town supporters “favourite Town” ....... Stevenage 😉 as it used to be relatively cheap and 20 odd minutes into St Pancras. It’s a grade 1 sh1t hole but I’ve seen much worse.

Still a STH (when allowed) and get to many away trips.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 205
Bigboy
November 26, 2020, 6:37pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +158
Born 1949 at home in Carr Lane.  Barcroft Street junior school then Clee Grammar. Could always tell when town scored as could hear the crowd noise so clearly. At first my father would not let me go as he was worried I would be exposed to bad language!  When I did start going my heroes were Matt Tees and Rodney Green as well as Ron Cockerill and Charlie Wright - a very good keeper and great entertainer. Did catch the end of Ron Rafferty career - surely the best header of a ball I ever saw.  Went to UMIST (Manchester) then to London to work for engineering company who I stayed with all my working life (often overseas) before retiring 5 years ago.  Moved to Reading when company relocated from London in 1974 - and still here - so have lived here most of my life - but never did really regard it as home.  Wife, son and daughter all support Reading and wife is secretary to Reading supporters trust.  Years ago I did go to a few games at Elm Park with my son when he was small but really I personally have no interest in any other club but Grimsby Town.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 205
Les Brechin
November 26, 2020, 6:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Bigboy
Years ago I did go to a few games at Elm Park with my son when he was small but really I personally have no interest in any other club but Grimsby Town.  

FA Cup 4th round replay in 1989?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 205
cardiffmariner
November 26, 2020, 7:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,308
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Well done Pete a great way to hear from  all the exiles and their stories

After reading Bottesford Mariners post it got me thinking how many others came from Fleetwood to Grimsby for the fish - my mam’s parents so my grandparents came from Fleetwood across to Grimsby and that’s how I ended up I guess being a Grimbarian rather than a Lancashire lad!!

My great-great-grandfather left Brixham (Devon)  to join the fishing boom in GY at the start of the 1900s. Have visited Brixham and it’s a beautiful part of the world. God knows what he must have thought when he arrived in Grimsby!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 205
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2020, 7:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from malkamalka
Born Louth, First Town game v Chelsea aged 7. Still have the old Black and White programme.  Lived Louth and Grimsby till age 21 when I moved to Oz.

Went "bush" for a few years and actually met another Mariner also from Louth. (He actually successfully feigned madness to get himself and his family repatriated to the UK).

Back to Lincolnshire in 2005, now retired.

Oz that bad then that he did that? 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 205
Bigboy
November 26, 2020, 7:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +158
Quoted from Les Brechin

FA Cup 4th round replay in 1989?

No didn't make that Les - my wife was heavily pregnant with son at the time - so perhaps that distracted my attention!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 205
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.