Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tweet from tondeur.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 332 Guests

Tweet from tondeur.

This thread currently has 18,514 views. Print
13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
November 23, 2020, 12:26am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

I have just reposted what the actual telegraph reporter has published and in His words was the FULL interview

Yeah but you didn’t post Findlater’s question did you? Or any context. You are cherry picking same as people are accusing JT of.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 128
KingstonMariner
November 23, 2020, 12:35am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from chipsandgravy

What ruddy attitude. What attitude do you expect him to have. His team just got thumped. Tondeur asked him a loaded question (fairly) and he re-acted like most managers would have done. I likeTondeur but he cant have it both ways. Ollie is an interviewers dream and gives regular 12-15 minute monologues whether you like them or not. He often gives more away then anybody I can remember. I too hope he has woken up and started to plan our recovery because he certainly needs to.  

Apologetic. Trite. Quiet.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 128
diehardmariner
November 23, 2020, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,611
Gold Stars: 538
Storm in a teacup here me reckons.  Holloway sulks - takes it out on JT - JT sulks, sends out tweet that raises more than a few eyebrows.

Holloway is a big drama queen.  I like him, I think he's a good manager and the back end of last season was the most excited I've felt about this club in a long time.  I think it's a crying shame that he hasn't had chance to build on what we had in March.

Anyone who couldn't see the improvements made from when he took over to when the season was curtailed really need to have a think about that.  The fall-out from Jolley was horrendous, those two months were absolutely turgid and I don't think many of us realise just how hard the job was for Limbrick to get things stable again.   Holloway came in and gave us that lift we needed.   He then massively improved us with every player he brought in.  Clarke was a major signing and gave us something we lacked and still do today.  Glennon and Benson were an example of the standard we want to aspire to but also highlighted his contacts (which people seem happy to deride at the minute).  Even the fringe players he brought in like Grandin were better than what we had and even now.

It's clear as day that our budget is shot to pieces this year.  It's not an excuse, it's a fact.  Prudent, sensible, cautious...whatever you want to call it. But we've quite clearly cut out cloth to the bare bones.  All the talk in the summer from Day that the club could continue without income for a year was absolute bullshit.  If that was the case and with fan donations, about 60% of season ticket holders renewing, taking advantage of the furlough scheme and other income streams (iFollow for example) why are we still holding our begging bowl out and why have we gone down the ultra cheap route?  Next years finances are going to be very interesting reading.

Over the course of last season I would argue the following were our best players (at various points).  McKeown, Pollock, Glennon, Benson, Hessenthaler, Vernam, Clarke, Hanson.  You then had someone like Whitehouse who was, in my opinion, the most improved player under Holloway.    Of those we have two available for the first team and one permanently sat in the treatment room.  We've not replaced the rest with anywhere near that level of quality.  

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts.  There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pros we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

Holloway right needs to take criticism for many things.  I think he got pre-season badly wrong and it cost us early on.  I still don't know why we've got players who aren't up to speed in terms of fitness, he needs to address that.  He needs to stop chopping and changing and using excuses that don't wash with anyone.   But if anyone is going to blame him for the recruitment this summer, nah.  He can't bring in quality when he's got sod all to entice them with.  For all this talk of replacing him, Jesus Christ do we really think we're going to bring someone in who can bring in quality players on a shoestring that's thread bare?

Saturday's interview was spiky from Holloway.  When we're playing well, people love to hear his little soundbites.  But when we're losing it grates.  It comes across as the ramblings of a madman.  In all honesty I never really liked his soundbites before he was Town boss but then got caught up in the hysteria around him when he took over, now I tend to just ignore what he says as it's largely just hot air.  

I listened to the interview and I don't think JT did a lot wrong in it.  If anything, a tougher interviewer wouldn't have let Holloway get away with it and put him back in his box.  But for as spiky as Holloway is, JT is petty with some of his comments on Town during games.  His attacks on Gibson in particular are shameful and he should be pulled up on it.  I'm in no doubt that will get back to Holloway and it will shape the relationship between the two.   He's there to tell us what's happening, not pass opinion on it.  Then after the game ask the questions that are relevant. Holloway needs to respect that.

Bang both their heads together and tell them to grow up.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 128
Northbank Mariner
November 23, 2020, 10:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from diehardmariner
Storm in a teacup here me reckons.  Holloway sulks - takes it out on JT - JT sulks, sends out tweet that raises more than a few eyebrows.

Holloway is a big drama queen.  I like him, I think he's a good manager and the back end of last season was the most excited I've felt about this club in a long time.  I think it's a crying shame that he hasn't had chance to build on what we had in March.

Anyone who couldn't see the improvements made from when he took over to when the season was curtailed really need to have a think about that.  The fall-out from Jolley was horrendous, those two months were absolutely turgid and I don't think many of us realise just how hard the job was for Limbrick to get things stable again.   Holloway came in and gave us that lift we needed.   He then massively improved us with every player he brought in.  Clarke was a major signing and gave us something we lacked and still do today.  Glennon and Benson were an example of the standard we want to aspire to but also highlighted his contacts (which people seem happy to deride at the minute).  Even the fringe players he brought in like Grandin were better than what we had and even now.

It's clear as day that our budget is shot to pieces this year.  It's not an excuse, it's a fact.  Prudent, sensible, cautious...whatever you want to call it. But we've quite clearly cut out cloth to the bare bones.  All the talk in the summer from Day that the club could continue without income for a year was absolute bullshit.  If that was the case and with fan donations, about 60% of season ticket holders renewing, taking advantage of the furlough scheme and other income streams (iFollow for example) why are we still holding our begging bowl out and why have we gone down the ultra cheap route?  Next years finances are going to be very interesting reading.

Over the course of last season I would argue the following were our best players (at various points).  McKeown, Pollock, Glennon, Benson, Hessenthaler, Vernam, Clarke, Hanson.  You then had someone like Whitehouse who was, in my opinion, the most improved player under Holloway.    Of those we have two available for the first team and one permanently sat in the treatment room.  We've not replaced the rest with anywhere near that level of quality.  

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts.  There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pro's we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

Holloway right needs to take criticism for many things.  I think he got pre-season badly wrong and it cost us early on.  I still don't know we've got players who aren't up to speed in terms of fitness, he needs to address that.  He needs to stop chopping and changing and using excuses that don't wash with anyone.   But if anyone is going to blame him for the recruitment this summer, nah.  He can't bring in quality when he's got sod all to entice them with.  For all this talk of replacing him, Jesus Christ do we really think we're going to bring someone in who can bring in quality players on a shoestring that's thread bare?

Saturday's interview was spiky from Holloway.  When we're playing well, people love to hear his little soundbites.  But when we're losing it grates.  It comes across as the ramblings of a madman.  In all honesty I never really liked his soundbites before he was Town boss but then got caught up in the hysteria around him when he took over, now I tend to just ignore what he says as it's largely just hot air.  

I listened to the interview and I don't think JT did a lot wrong in it.  If anything, a tougher interviewer wouldn't have let Holloway get away with it and put him back in his box.  But for as spiky as Holloway is, JT is petty with some of his comments on Town during games.  His attacks on Gibson in particular are shameful and he should be pulled up on it.  I'm in no doubt that will get back to Holloway and it will shape the relationship between the two.   He's there to tell us what's happening, not pass opinion on it.  Then after the game ask the questions that are relevant. Holloway needs to respect that.

I'm having that.👍👍⚽⚽
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 128
Croxton
November 23, 2020, 10:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Excellent summary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 128
November 23, 2020, 10:15am
Guest User
Brilliant post

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts.  There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pro's we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

Holloway right needs to take criticism for many things.  I think he got pre-season badly wrong and it cost us early on.  I still don't know we've got players who aren't up to speed in terms of fitness, he needs to address that.  He needs to stop chopping and changing and using excuses that don't wash with anyone.   But if anyone is going to blame him for the recruitment this summer, nah.  He can't bring in quality when he's got sod all to entice them with.  For all this talk of replacing him, Jesus Christ do we really think we're going to bring someone in who can bring in quality players on a shoestring that's thread bare?

Reply: 125 - 128
arryarryarry
November 23, 2020, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts. There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pros we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

Holloway right needs to take criticism for many things.  I think he got pre-season badly wrong and it cost us early on.  I still don't know why we've got players who aren't up to speed in terms of fitness, he needs to address that.  He needs to stop chopping and changing and using excuses that don't wash with anyone.   But if anyone is going to blame him for the recruitment this summer, nah.  He can't bring in quality when he's got sod all to entice them with.  For all this talk of replacing him, Jesus Christ do we really think we're going to bring someone in who can bring in quality players on a shoestring that's thread bare?

But whose decision was it to buy so many unfit cheap players rather than buying less players but better ones?
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 128
HertsGTFC
November 23, 2020, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts.  There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pros we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

This nails it, one thing to add why is Ben Davis effectively Holloway’s assistant?........... you know the answer!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 128
Maringer
November 24, 2020, 12:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
I've not seen much of the football this season, but caught most of the game on Saturday. Missed the first goal, but watched us capitulate pathetically before half time and only half-watched the dead rubber of a second half.

A couple of things strike me. Over the past couple of decades, I've always felt comfortable when we've faced teams who try to play it out from the back. The simple fact is that the players in the 4th and 5th tiers generally just aren't good enough to do this and you can all but guarantee that you'll be handed a couple of chances in the game either by being gifted possession when things go wrong, or being given the chance to win possession with men forward. I still think it's a big gamble now it's us trying to play in this style. We sort of got away with trying to pass it out from the back last season, despite not really being equipped to do so (with the best will in the world, the likes of Ohman, Waterfall, Pollock are not great ball players). This was probably helped by the fact that we had players such as Glennon and Benson, Clarke and Vernam to give the opposition a bit more to think about with Hessenthaler keeping things very tidy in the middle before he was clobbered. This season, not so much. With the very best will in the world, Preston, Morton, Taylor, Williams, (from the little I've seen of him) Rose, Gibson, Windsor, Gomis aren't close to a patch on those they have replaced. We've got the same central defenders trying to play it out but without any sort of attacking force to play it to, so it's no wonder we're failing so abysmally.

I think Holloway has tried to be a bit too clever here. From the signings, you'd imagine we've not spent a huge amount despite the number of players we've got in, but he's obviously decided to sign so many to cope with the relentless run of games we're facing. The senior players there to help the younger ones through either haven't been fit or are the wrong type of player for me, especially in midfield. Rose a good link player on his day, but he's given the ball away too much on the couple of occasions I've watched him play. Williams has offered nothing for somebody with pedigree. Scannell and Moshni barely involved rather than shepherding the youngsters through. I'd say that central midfield is the toughest area for a young player to succeed and it's no surprise that even the best central midfielders tend to learn the game in wider positions before moving more central. With Morton and Taylor chucked into the middle as often as not, it's no surprise that we're very short of ability there as the midfield is just bypassed too easily.

Ultimately, I think Holloway has bought into his own hype too much. He thought he had the ability to mesh together the young players and the more experienced pros, but didn't consider what would happen if pretty much all of those experienced pros were injured or well out of form. The constant chopping and changing is obviously to try and discover a combination which might work, but this reminds me too much of Bignot and Jolley for my liking. Starting Clifton on the left on Saturday was just ludicrous, especially as Preston is an OK defender, if hardly a world-beater. No surprise that the team don't look like they know what they are doing much of the time due to the lack of continuity.

I certainly don't think Holloway should be leaving at this point in the season/pandemic and it seems he's realised his errors as he's talking about thinning out the squad as well as bringing in one or two players. I only hope that Holloway's much-vaunted contacts can bring us one or two more effective players. It's pretty clear that the season is a write off for us already despite the light at the end of the tunnel as far as the pandemic is concerned, so we just need to make sure we win enough results to keep us clear of the drop and then hopefully make some positive changes next season.

In a normal year, Holloway has shown he can get some good young players in on loan and attract some more experienced players with pedigree at this level. We just need to get through this shiteshow of a year/season in one piece first of all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 128
13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tweet from tondeur.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.