Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 8:25pm
Just tweeted that when answering questions later on. IH said he would leave if the Fans wanted him too

Any fan that wants him gone is flipping mad.

He has made a lot of mistakes this season. But that doesn’t mean he should lose his job.

He gets it. Look at all the work outside of the actual training he did last season. Going into schools etc.

After this excrement is over. He is the perfect man for Grimsby.
Posted by: Lincs Iron man, November 21, 2020, 8:29pm; Reply: 1
He's lost the plot
Posted by: ginnywings, November 21, 2020, 8:30pm; Reply: 2
Didn't take long for this club to grind him down did it?

It's a black hole for managers.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 21, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from 3610
Just tweeted that when answering questions later on. IH said he would leave if the Fans wanted him too

He has made a lot of mistakes this season. But that doesn’t mean he should lose his job.

He gets it. Look at all the work outside of the actual training he did last season. Going into schools etc.

That could be read as an invitation to get people to ‘push’ him out of a difficult situation.
Posted by: mariner91, November 21, 2020, 8:31pm; Reply: 4
No manager will succeed until the cancer that is John Fenty finally relinquishes his control of the club.
Posted by: Rick12, November 21, 2020, 8:32pm; Reply: 5
Gutted if Ian Holloway has said that if the fans want him to leave he will.  I for one still want him here as I think plenty of others do as well.
Posted by: ska face, November 21, 2020, 8:32pm; Reply: 6
He’s not going to lose his job. Think he needs a thicker skin if he’s going to act like that, especially considering the fan base is currently reduced to words on the internet!

He needs to appreciate people are sick of our current predicament. We’re not stupid and we know a bad performance when we see one - so all the “that was a fantastic performance” when we’ve not had a shot on goal doesn’t wash.

We’ve also had our fill of gutless performers, and being 4 down in 30 mins is not acceptable - the players didn’t even look arsed.

One thing we can all agree on is Fenty needs to write off his loans and walk, tomorrow if not tonight. Holloway wants to build something here and I - along with most others - would like to see him do so, but I don’t think it will happen with the Fenty albatross around our neck.
Posted by: davmariner, November 21, 2020, 8:32pm; Reply: 7
We’re heading fast towards the relegation zone. His recruitment hasn’t been good enough and it’s obvious that we’re heading for a relegation battle this season.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 8:35pm; Reply: 8
If that doesn’t tell you how badly this club is run then nothing will. Don’t forget that IH has only actually been in charge for three months at the beginning of the year and since the middle of August. For whatever reason, our squad is convincingly worse than the one he took over.

Tonight’s comment looks like an ‘I want out’ comment.
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters
If that doesn’t tell you how badly this club is run then nothing will. Don’t forget that IH has only actually been in charge for three months at the beginning of the year and since the middle of August. For whatever reason, our squad is convincingly worse than the one he took over.

Tonight’s comment looks like an ‘I want out’ comment.

To be fair we don’t know what the question was that caused that answer.
Posted by: psgmariner, November 21, 2020, 8:39pm; Reply: 10
Seems clear to me he’s done. Can’t see him here after Christmas. We are lauded the appointment but it’s not working.
Posted by: Lincs Iron man, November 21, 2020, 8:42pm; Reply: 11
He's offered to quit already which isn't a good sign
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 8:42pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 3610

Doesn’t really matter. That’s a pretty unequivocal answer.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 21, 2020, 8:47pm; Reply: 13

That black cat has a lot to answer for.

Seriously though I really don't know what to think anymore, as has been said on here "It's the hope that kills you" or something like that.

I don't think I could face another stint in the tinpot again   ??)
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 8:49pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Doesn’t really matter. That’s a pretty unequivocal answer.

True.

Hope it was said to get a reaction (another) from the players.
Posted by: Boris Johnson, November 21, 2020, 8:55pm; Reply: 15
There are players here, not much better than those that go out on a Sunday for a kick about,

Its his squad, he has brought this rubbish in, and the vast majority of it is rubbish, sub standard. I cant believe that was his intention, but that situation may have been forced, but Jesus Christ he has scraped the barrel with this lot.

If he wants out, then go.
Posted by: CodHead, November 21, 2020, 9:03pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Lincs Iron man
He's lost the plot

Wildig
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2020, 9:09pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 3610

My understanding is he was asked what he would say to the fans
Posted by: Croxton, November 21, 2020, 9:11pm; Reply: 18
JT's professional mask has slipped of late. Confusing one player with another, repeated jibes at Gibson's offsides (even when he wasn't), his readiness in a previous match to say 'two or three players aren't good enough for this level' etc. and putting words into the mouths of co commentators. Let Crofty and Bolland make their own mind up!

Ollie is clearly upset at this negative commentary and should not have tried to have it out today on air. Now, JT is signalling his wider discontent with the earlier tweet 'I remember when I used to like this job'. Good journalists don't become part of the story. Two bruised egos in a tiff.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 21, 2020, 9:11pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ginnywings
Didn't take long for this club to grind him down did it?

It's a black hole for managers.

Yep happens to all of them sooner or later. Looks like he half fancies throwing the towel in. And if anyone thinks that Paul Hurst will work for John Fenty again, they're living in dreamland. Fenty has ruined our football club. There is not one single factor in the past twenty years where we've taken a baby step forward on or off the pitch. Regression, torment for the manager, pain for the fans, regression, torment for the manager, pain for the fans ad nauseum.

We were told in no uncertain terms that anyone who wants to take the club over must provide evidence of funds for a couple of seasonsworth of downturn in fortunes. Of course this doesn't apply to the present incumbents who can't even reach in their pockets to keep four of our best players for a few months over the summer and imposed Covid clause contracts that only desperate bottom of the barrel players would sign. I can't see how even the most sycophantic supporters could make a positive case for this board of directors to be entrusted with the well being and progression of this club in the future. When is enough enough? Ollie shouldn't be offering to quit, but them upstairs, the ones that are most culpable for this mess (again), should have the good grace to fall on their own swords. They're just not very good at this football malarkey..
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2020, 9:11pm; Reply: 20
Ollie has made a few bad signings trusting the players who said they are fit and ready to play.

He will have learnt by that and won't make the same mistake again.

We don't know if the young non league players he signed will make it only time will tell.

He expects L2 players to understand what he wants and to carry his instructions out.

Well they are in L2 for a reason and I think he knows that now.

I still have faith in him to turn things around he has learnt a hard lesson and will be better for it.I

Let's see a settled side playing to their strengths and hope things change for the better I want to see Ollie here for many years to come but that will only happen if we improve.

I don't like to hear any manager say I will go if the fans want me to I would rather he said that display was not good enough and I will make things better I just need a little time.

I am fed up as the rest of you seeing our team play so bad but keep changing the manager when it starts to get difficult is not the answer stay and put things right Ollie and you will be loved by all.

Well maybe not all.  ;D
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2020, 9:14pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 3610

I don't give a toss how many schools he visits it is what happens on the pitch that I am concerned about and that excrement today is not good enough and relegation form.

He needs to get it sorted, we don't look like scoring and we are leaking goals at the back.

If he doesn't then he will have to go, we cannot afford to drop out of the EFL again
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2020, 9:19pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Croxton
JT's professional mask has slipped of late. Confusing one player with another, repeated jibes at Gibson's offsides (even when he wasn't), his readiness in a previous match to say 'two or three players aren't good enough for this level' etc. and putting words into the mouths of co commentators. Let Crofty and Bolland make their own mind up!

Ollie is clearly upset at this negative commentary and should not have tried to have it out today on air. Now, JT is signalling his wider discontent with the earlier tweet 'I remember when I used to like this job'. Good journalists don't become part of the story. Two bruised egos in a tiff.

Really?

In the main these past few seasons we have been excrement, what do you want commentators to say, ooooh that was a great performance we were unlucky with each of the 5 goals.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 21, 2020, 9:22pm; Reply: 23
Why do you think all our manergerial appointments end badly? only one common denominator.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 21, 2020, 9:26pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from friskneymariner
Why do you think all our manergerial appointments end badly? only one common denominator.

And why do the vast majority of our players when they leave never get another Football League club?
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 9:26pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't give a toss how many schools he visits it is what happens on the pitch that I am concerned about and that excrement today is not good enough and relegation form.

He needs to get it sorted, we don't look like scoring and we are leaking goals at the back.

If he doesn't then he will have to go, we cannot afford to drop out of the EFL again

We have be crying out for a different approach from our board. He is also a director. He wants to build a club for the community. bring us together. Not this us verses them excrement that we have seen so much of. If we lose Ollie.... we lose any sort of chance of a change of thought at boardroom level.

he also got us playing good football at the same time!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2020, 9:29pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 3610
Just tweeted that when answering questions later on. FENTY said he would leave if the Fans wanted him too

That sounds better. ;D
Posted by: oochiad, November 21, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 27
If we lose Ollie it’ll be a massive mistake......
Posted by: GrimRob, November 21, 2020, 9:39pm; Reply: 28
He's never lasted more than 2 or 3 years anywhere recently and has already chalked up 30 games with us, about half his average. He's compeltely inexperienced at this level, most of his other jobs have been in or close to large population centres (London, Bristol, Leicestor, Blackpool) so Grimsby is quite different there too, with its own challenges. It always was an odd match.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2020, 9:40pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from 3610

We have be crying out for a different approach from our board. He is also a director. He wants to build a club for the community. bring us together. Not this us verses them excrement that we have seen so much of. If we lose Ollie.... we lose any sort of chance of a change of thought at boardroom level.

he also got us playing good football at the same time!

You think the past few games have been good football?

And has it been confirmed he has invested in the club?
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 21, 2020, 9:40pm; Reply: 30
The question was

What would you say to the fans that have lost patience with you/ the team today?

Puts a slightly different spin on it.
Posted by: Croxton, November 21, 2020, 9:40pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from arryarryarry

Really?

In the main these past few seasons we have been excrement, what do you want commentators to say, ooooh that was a great performance we were unlucky with each of the 5 goals.

Hardly. Simply describe the action, invite comments, synopsis and insight from his co commentators and allow intelligent viewers like yourself to arrive at their own conclusions. To be clear, I prefer JT to Burns who is an offensive oaf. It wasn't the smartest entre to an interview was it? ' Olly, that was poor'.

For whatever reason, relations between Olly and JT have soured but both should rise above it. I find the latest version of Matt Dean to be better attuned and balanced, especially with PhilipDay. That may change after today, however after the furlough rumours!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 21, 2020, 9:46pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Croxton

Hardly. Simply describe the action, invite comments, synopsis and insight from his co commentators and allow intelligent viewers like yourself to arrive at their own conclusions. To be clear, I prefer JT to Burns who is an offensive oaf. It wasn't the smartest entre to an interview was it? ' Olly, that was poor'.

For whatever reason, relations between Olly and JT have soured but both should rise above it. I find the latest version of Matt Dean to be better attuned and balanced, especially with PhilipDay. That may change after today, however after the furlough rumours!

After a 5-0 defeat it's never going to be a smooth interview.

The furlough rumours were actually reported by the upthemariners website.
Posted by: Yoda, November 21, 2020, 9:53pm; Reply: 33
It’s not good i can see IH walking lets hope not
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, November 21, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 34
I'm actually quite offended he's said that. He talks at lengths about being the man who wants to take us places and he's proud to manage us, he's been the only manager who has complemented the club and fans upon joining, so it's very disheartening to hear him open to chucking the towel in already.

We won't get a better manager than Holloway and whoever we would get would hit similar issues.

As Town fans we are sick of the feeling of deja vu, we've long had an endless line of okay-ish managers bringing in okay-ish to average players, getting paggered by smaller, less ambitious but more solid clubs. Its as if this place is cursed because its always, new season, new players but same old excrement performances.

Holloway needs help... He needs to bring in coaches, and if he's being blocked in recruiting help then the club need to rethink their strategy. Ollie isn't a miracle worker, and his only help are two very young and inexperienced coaches.

The squad is huge, the last time we had a squad so big was 2009/10 under Newell and then Woods where we were signing new players every other week because they were all dross. We ended up going down that year and I'm not saying thats the case this year but we don't need a Premier League size squad in League Two. He needs to work with a settled unit, as his how are they meant to gel if they are playing next to different people every game.

There are numerous players here who I just don't seem to get their role or why they are here? Bilel Mohsni was a hugely exciting signing but he's either unfit or not in contention. This guy should with his calibre should be starting weekly, christ two years ago he made the preliminary Tunisia World Cup squad. Ira Jackson and Touray Sisay were spoken up hugely and just haven't had a sniff desipite other forwards such as Green consistently not coming up with the goods.Virgil Gomis on loan can't even get in the match day squad, Ludvig Ohman just seems to play one in four? Do we need him if that's the case? Morton, Bennett and Scannell are just a couple of other players in and out of the team. It just makes very little sense but I figure this constant changing in personnel can't be good for continuity.

Just a rambling old fans thoughts.

But Ollie if you ever read this forum. Don't go. You will just reset this process for us and we've been in groundhog day for years. Bolster
your coaching staff, get rid of the under performers, make some calls.

:)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 21, 2020, 10:11pm; Reply: 35
Would be bad news for us if he left. I’m confident he can improve us.

It’s clear the club made really bad decisions in dealing with Covid. TBF the board have been flipping clueless for years, any strategic decision and they make a intercourse up of it.  

IH made us better last season and I’m confident we’d have had our first top half finish back in the league if it hadn’t have ended prematurely.
I expect us to struggle till January and be much better after it.  

Covid was always going to hit the less rich clubs hard, our club just made it so much more difficult with the decisions we made. Because of that we have a large, weak and underprepared squad.

I saw Codalmighty tweet that “it doesn’t matter who the manager is” and usually I agree with them, but it is so important who the manager is because those people who’ve run the club for years are totally shite.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 10:15pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Would be bad news for us if he left. I’m confident he can improve us.

It’s clear the club made really bad decisions in dealing with Covid. TBF the board have been flipping clueless for years, any strategic decision and they make a intercourse up of it.  

IH made us better last season and I’m confident we’d have had our first top half finish back in the league if it hadn’t have ended prematurely.
I expect us to struggle till January and be much better after it.  

Covid was always going to hit the less rich clubs hard, our club just made it so much more difficult with the decisions we made. Because of that we have a large, weak and underprepared squad.

I saw Codalmighty tweet that “it doesn’t matter who the manager is” and usually I agree with them, but it is so important who the manager is because those people who’ve run the club for years are totally shite.

I agree with CA. It doesn’t take long for a vaguely intelligent manager to work out the board’s shortcomings.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 21, 2020, 10:19pm; Reply: 37
But, if Holloway was as connected as he claims, surely he’d have known what our board were/are like and he wouldn’t have believed the bullshit in the first instance?
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2020, 10:19pm; Reply: 38
We have been here.many times in the past and only once in my lifetime of following town 65 years have we gone down to non league.

I don't think we will if Ollie stays but who knows if we end up with another no Mark manager.

Stay Ollie most of us have trust in you.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 21, 2020, 10:20pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
I'm actually quite offended he's said that. He talks at lengths about being the man who wants to take us places and he's proud to manage us, he's been the only manager who has complemented the club and fans upon joining, so it's very disheartening to hear him open to chucking the towel in already.

We won't get a better manager than Holloway and whoever wwe would get would hit similar issues.

As Town fans we are sick of the feeling of deja by, we've long had an endless line of okay-ish managers bringing in okay-ish to average players, getting paggered by smaller, less ambitious but more solid clubs. Its as if this place is cursed because its always, new season, new players but same old excrement performances.

Holloway needs help... He needs to bring in coaches, and if he's being blocked in recruiting help then the club need to rethink their strategy. Ollie isn't a miracle worker, and his only help are two very young and inexperienced coaches.

The squad is huge, the last time we had a squad so big was 2009/10 under Newell and then Woods where we were signing new players every other week because they were all dross. We ended up going down that year and I'm not saying thats the case this year but we don't need a Premier League size squad in League Two. He needs to work with a settled unit, as his how are they meant to gel if they are playing next to different people every game.

There are numerous players here who I just don't seem to get their role or why they are here? Bilel Mohsni was a hugely exciting signing but he's either unfit or not in contention. This guy should with his calibre should be starting weekly, christ two years ago he made the preliminary Tunisia World Cup squad. Ira Jackson and Touray Sisay were spoken up hugely and just haven't had a sniff desipite other forwards such as Green consistently not coming up with the goods.Virgil Gomis on loan can't even get in the match day squad, Ludvig Ohman just seems to play one in four? Do we need him if that's the case? Morton, Bennett and Scannell are just a couple of other players in and out of the team. It just makes very little sense but I figure this constant changing in personnel can't be good for continuity.

But Ollie if you ever read this forum. Don't go. You will just reset this process for us and we've been in groundhog day for years. Bolster

Keep up at the back there.

Mohsni and Ohman are no longer at the club.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 21, 2020, 10:22pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from grimsby pete
We have been here.many times in the past and only once in my lifetime of following town 65 years have we gone down to non league.

I don't think we will if Ollie stays but who knows if we end up with another no Mark manager.

Stay Ollie most of us have trust in you.

I think your comment needs qualifying Pete.

Stay Ollie if you can make a difference. I don’t think it will end well if he doesn’t effect change in the boardroom.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2020, 10:24pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

We won't get a better manager than Holloway and whoever we would get would hit similar issues.

As Town fans we are sick of the feeling of deja vu, we've long had an endless line of okay-ish managers bringing in okay-ish to average players, getting paggered by smaller, less ambitious but more solid clubs. Its as if this place is cursed because its always, new season, new players but same old excrement performances.

Moshni and Ohman have been sent packing.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 21, 2020, 10:26pm; Reply: 42
If that response was after the official interview had finished ans was not to be broadcast then Tondeur  is clearly mischief making and has made his own mind up re whether or not Ollie should stay. If it is to be broadcast why not let it play its course and come out as part of the interview so a better judgement can be made re context of the question and and any follow up or preceding questions/answers.

Personally feel JT is well past is sell by date and his commentaries are just depressing even when we’re winning. Even a goal is met with no enthusiasm, not that we score many, and it’s just one long continuous drone. He should be put out to grass before Ollie but no doubt we will have to suffer him for a few more seasons yet.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 21, 2020, 10:28pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
If that response was after the official interview had finished ans was not to be broadcast then Tondeur  is clearly mischief making and has made his own mind up re whether or not Ollie should stay. If it is to be broadcast why not let it play its course and come out as part of the interview so a better judgement can be made re context of the question and and any follow up or preceding questions/answers.

Personally feel JT is well past is sell by date and his commentaries are just depressing even when we’re winning. Even a goal is met with no enthusiasm, not that we score many, and it’s just one long continuous drone. He should be put out to grass before Ollie but no doubt we will have to suffer him for a few more seasons yet.

The radio interview goes first and when that finishes, other members of the press ask questions.

Pretty normal procedure.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 21, 2020, 10:32pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The radio interview goes first and when that finishes, other members of the press ask questions.

Pretty normal procedure.

Ask Jolley   :)

Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, November 21, 2020, 10:32pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

Keep up at the back there.

Mohsni and Ohman are no longer at the club.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Missed that. Sad on both counts. Really hoped Ohman would work out in the end and Mohsni would be a hit. Can't say I'm surprised though.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 21, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Pretty normal procedure.

Which is my point. If this was part of the formal Q & A after the match it will subsequently be reported by the person asking the question hence no need for Tondeur to be tweeting about it other than to cause mischief.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, November 21, 2020, 11:04pm; Reply: 47
One common thread I do see here is the one nobody else seems to have noticed, that being fallouts between Tondeur and previous managers Paul Hurst had fallouts on air with him, Jolly certainly had had his fill in his published rantings and now we have comments on social media attempting to undermine Ollie. I would suggest Mr. Tondeur needs pulling to one side. It's quite obvious that Ollie is struggling to get a settled side that works on a shoestring budget without commentators putting the boot in behind his back - it's easy to criticize when you can't do the job yourself. Given the current overwhelming bad conditions- Covid plus no matchday income- managing any football club is one big challenge. If Ollie does go, one thing is pretty certain and relegation is a huge possibility with yet another unknown in charge.At least Ollie has started to clear the decks of the "mistake" players.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 48
One common thread I do see here is the one nobody else seems to have noticed, that being fallouts between Tondeur and previous managers Paul Hurst had fallouts on air with him, Jolly certainly had had his fill in his published rantings and now we have comments on social media attempting to undermine Ollie. I would suggest Mr. Tondeur needs pulling to one side. It's quite obvious that Ollie is struggling to get a settled side that works on a shoestring budget without commentators putting the boot in behind his back - it's easy to criticize when you can't do the job yourself. Given the current overwhelming bad conditions- Covid plus no matchday income- managing any football club is one big challenge. If Ollie does go, one thing is pretty certain and relegation is a huge possibility with yet another unknown in charge.At least Ollie has started to clear the decks of the "mistake" players.

I'm sorry but when we are excrement with whoever is manager I want an interviewer to ask the questions why. Which I is why I like Dave Burns after match interviews as he isn't scared at all of ruffling a few feathers of managers.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2020, 11:15pm; Reply: 49

Christ Almighty, stop with the Covid excuses, it has affected all clubs.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 21, 2020, 11:33pm; Reply: 50
A-holes like Tondeur and Burns are only out to get a reaction. We lose 5-0 and obviously Ollie is feeling shi'ite about it. The last thing Ollie then wants to hear is massive amounts of negativity from interviewers and journalists. Tondeur got the reaction he was after, but instead of leaving it at that, he starts with the snide tweets.

I can see in the not too distant future GTFC following Hulls example by not allowing BBC Radio Humberside to do commentary on their matches or give interviews to them
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, November 21, 2020, 11:39pm; Reply: 51
The fact we are excrement whoever is in charge means they (the journalists) are asking the wrong people the questions. Why don't they try and ask the board some probing questions because quite frankly we are rubbish year after year after year.

They should put Day and Fenty on the spot and ask them why this club cannot compete in D4. We can't even make it halfway up the table in a decade of trying.

I'd like to see them put under the same pressure the poor saps who end up managing town get put under.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2020, 11:45pm; Reply: 52
A-holes like Tondeur and Burns are only out to get a reaction. We lose 5-0 and obviously Ollie is feeling shi'ite about it. The last thing Ollie then wants to hear is massive amounts of negativity from interviewers and journalists. Tondeur got the reaction he was after, but instead of leaving it at that, he starts with the snide tweets.

I can see in the not too distant future GTFC following Hulls example by not allowing BBC Radio Humberside to do commentary on their matches or give interviews to them

For frigs sake, 3 wins in 16 games, dropping down the League and dumped out of the FA Cup by a team bottom of the Conference. We have just been stuffed 5-0 and that after a 45 minutes when Tranmere didn't bother much, what sort of questions do you want asking?

Posted by: Tommy, November 21, 2020, 11:45pm; Reply: 53

Eh? Have you listened to it?

JT only suggested that every Club has had to deal with Covid, not just us.

Which is entirety true and not being negative at all in my opinion.
Posted by: davmariner, November 21, 2020, 11:52pm; Reply: 54

He’s not his f.ucking counsellor. Journalists sometimes ask difficult questions. It’s their job to hold people to account. And when we’ve just lost 5-0 it’s not unreasonable for them to do so.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, November 21, 2020, 11:53pm; Reply: 55
To say Covid isn't a huge issue is to show a total denial of the financial catastrophe alone that it has caused worldwide. Millions of people thrown into unemployment, companies folding on a daily basis, and lots of football clubs unable to service their debts due to no income. I sincerely hope GTFC manages to ride the storm but how long would anyone last without income let alone improve on their plight. Yes the team are not performing as hoped but there is no magic bullet.
Posted by: chicaneuk, November 21, 2020, 11:59pm; Reply: 56
We need to give this guy the chance to fix his mess and sort things out. Our manager retention in the last few years has been abysmal and at some point don’t you have to realise there must be other issues elsewhere leading to this massive morale drain in management and players alike?!

The manager gets the club, he gets the fans, he understands community.. we were lucky to get that with Jolley as well but largely we won’t find that again I don’t believe. I really think we need to stick with Holloway and see out this season regardless.
Posted by: oochiad, November 22, 2020, 12:09am; Reply: 57
I’m sick of being on the manager Merry go round so will JT and you pathetic excrement stirrers urine off and disappear  for a while and at least give IH a fair crack of the whip to get things sorted without your snide remarks.  
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 12:13am; Reply: 58
Quoted from oochiad
I’m sick of being on the manager Merry go round so will JT and you pathetic excrement stirrers urine off and disappear  for a while and at least give IH a fair crack of the whip to get things sorted without your snide remarks.  

Get a flipping grip. This is a forum, we have just been stuffed 5-0 by a team that couldn't buy a win a few weeks ago. people have a right to comment on how crap we are.

And may I refer you to a previous comment I made recently, we stuck with Neil Woods and look where that got us.
Posted by: OneLove, November 22, 2020, 12:23am; Reply: 59
Fenty has had his day all it is is nightmares and tears, manager after manager and now the best of the lot comes along and its in turmoil already, typical of town. Ian see this as a project and said each one of those players where his project, which 31 players is a lot to try and turn into gold. I for one would be absolutely gutted and ready to throw in the towel on town if ian went, although I think these players are out there depth the manager isn't,hes proven and knows his onions, unfortunately on a shoe string budget and during a pandemic its hit us badly. Its always us fans who get hurt, with the same old bullshit, as frustrating as this season is and as poor the squad is they aren't good enough for what IH wants them to do. Stick by the man and lets take this season on the chin, lets see what next season brings, and hope in lords faith that someone buys the flipping club out and let us start fresh with the best credible manager in lower leagues. Keep the faith and ffs keep holloway here. GYTID.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 22, 2020, 12:45am; Reply: 60
Quoted from arryarryarry

Christ Almighty, stop with the Covid excuses, it has affected all clubs.

Don’t you know it’s only having an effect in DN35 and DN31 postcodes?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 22, 2020, 12:47am; Reply: 61

Yes let’s ban people who ask difficult questions. Clearly they’re saboteurs!

Let’s all organise a big parade in honour of Uncle John, our glorious leader.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 22, 2020, 12:49am; Reply: 62
To say Covid isn't a huge issue is to show a total denial of the financial catastrophe alone that it has caused worldwide. Millions of people thrown into unemployment, companies folding on a daily basis, and lots of football clubs unable to service their debts due to no income. I sincerely hope GTFC manages to ride the storm but how long would anyone last without income let alone improve on their plight. Yes the team are not performing as hoped but there is no magic bullet.

Millions of people thrown into unemployment, 50,000 dead. Thousands of businesses down the pan. And all of them in NE Lincs.

Nothing happening elsewhere.
Posted by: toontown, November 22, 2020, 12:58am; Reply: 63
I think those wringing their hands at JTs questions are laughable - he is a  very meek and mild interviewer, if Ollie or anyone else can't stand up to his perfectly reasonable and placid questioning they need to rethink being in the pressure cooker of football league management. When burnsy asked JT against hull whether it was a relegation battle season for town JT was desperate to sit on the fence and not say anything and was rightly called out by burnsy to have an opinion. JT strives to be very diplomatic but come on some of his questions 'but covid has effected everyone', and about the constant chopping and changing are simply indisputable facts, they can't be argued with. It's not controversial to point these out (or it shouldn't be) and ask for the club's response (and Ollie is the responsible representative of the club). It what lots of people are asking on here, if he didn't ask those sort of basic questions he would really need firing for not doing his job.

I like burnsy and his questioning of hull - says it as he sees it. Organisations that try to avoid questioning and examining of performance are not going to be the ones most likely to improve.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 22, 2020, 1:28am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Tommy

Eh? Have you listened to it?

JT only suggested that every Club has had to deal with Covid, not just us.

Which is entirety true and not being negative at all in my opinion.

Its not just this game is it? It's every single match he has to have a dig at whoever is Captain of the ship.

Hursty didn't like his attitude. Slade didn't. Jolley didn't. Ollie doesn't. More than anything our club needs support, not kicking when it's down.
Posted by: Mayaman, November 22, 2020, 1:46am; Reply: 65
It's a tough one isn't it.  I feel for him.  He has passion and he loves Grimsby but isn't it his to motivate the players. Most of 'em don;t seem to be bothered. (except Pollack, Clifton and Edwards).  A lot of them seem to be spoiled brats to be honest. And where is the super experienced, can play in many different positions Moshni? The way I see it, is that he's a freeloader.  Even if he's injured he should be making some impact.  IH needs to work out a formation and stick to it.  Not change the team to much, Macca needs to relinquish the armband and IH needs to tell him, if his team is under pressure, the long ball isn't a bad idea. We need to practice set pieces - get the ball whipped into the danger area and have men in the box to attack it. Not those crappy floated balls that even if you do connect, it's hard to get some power behind the ball
Posted by: forza ivano, November 22, 2020, 2:08am; Reply: 66
For a late saturday night thread ,after a few beers and a shiite heavy defeat it's been v intelligent,restrained and well argued thread.
Shows the fishy at it's best
FWIW I think he should stay. I get the impression that ,if you are being negative  ,the penny has dropped. I think over the last couple of weeks hes given them a chance and they have let him down. Holloway is not stupid and hes committed an awful lot to us.
The cull is real and its borne out of a very experienced manager who's realised hes made big mistake.
He will never admit it but his initial strategy was wrong. We are not bottom and out of sight so hes taking the opportunity to 'reset' us.
I can easily see the doubters arguments but I dont think hes a Buckley marl3 as he had us playing some great stuff to the back end of last season. I think hes committed,  he knows hes copulated up and desperately wants to turn it round.
Selling pollock in january could be the key.i feckin hope so coz I cant see anyone else who could do a better job with all the constraints surrounding gtfc
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 2:22am; Reply: 67

Its not just this game is it? It's every single match he has to have a dig at whoever is Captain of the ship.

Hursty didn't like his attitude. Slade didn't. Jolley didn't. Ollie doesn't. More than anything our club needs support, not kicking when it's down.

That's because when the going gets tough they don't like tough questions and they couldn't handle it and it's not as if JT was that tough with them especially Jolley who I understand was very unliked by some of the GTFC staff and not just players because he could dish it out but couldn't take it.
Posted by: Mikey_345, November 22, 2020, 8:28am; Reply: 68
“If they want to come round my house and tell me to go home, I’ll stop selling it and buying one here. I don’t believe that’s the case. I will fight and die for these people, but if that’s what they want, they won’t have to ask me. That’s as honest as I can ever get.

IH quote. Not quite the bombshell it was built up to be is it...... funny that....
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 22, 2020, 9:13am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Mikey_345
“If they want to come round my house and tell me to go home, I’ll stop selling it and buying one here. I don’t believe that’s the case. I will fight and die for these people, but if that’s what they want, they won’t have to ask me. That’s as honest as I can ever get.

IH quote. Not quite the bombshell it was built up to be is it...... funny that....

I thought his house was sold now?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2020, 9:15am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Mikey_345

I don’t believe fans want him to leave either. I believe the fans want him to change the way the club is run. I’m afraid that if he can’t see the problem by now, he’s not looking in the right direction.
Posted by: pen penfras, November 22, 2020, 9:26am; Reply: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don’t believe fans want him to leave either. I believe the fans want him to change the way the club is run. I’m afraid that if he can’t see the problem by now, he’s not looking in the right direction.

One thing he's made very clear is that he likes the way the club is run. I'm sure he wants to do lots of things to make the club more enticing to get better players here, but he likes that we don't try and spend beyond our means and gamble on success, that if it doesn't happen puts the club's future at risk.

Unfortunately, it seems almost every other club decided to carry on as normal this season and push the boat out hoping that some form of bail out will come. My only hope is that it comes before the end of next month, so we're in a good position to strengthen considering our low expenditure so far.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), November 22, 2020, 9:43am; Reply: 72
Quoted from 3610

So where exactly was IH supposed to have said this, because I listened to the after match interview and he certainly did NOT say it there.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2020, 9:56am; Reply: 73
Quoted from pen penfras

One thing he's made very clear is that he likes the way the club is run. I'm sure he wants to do lots of things to make the club more enticing to get better players here, but he likes that we don't try and spend beyond our means and gamble on success, that if it doesn't happen puts the club's future at risk.

Unfortunately, it seems almost every other club decided to carry on as normal this season and push the boat out hoping that some form of bail out will come. My only hope is that it comes before the end of next month, so we're in a good position to strengthen considering our low expenditure so far.

If Grimsby Town FC’s ambition is to wallow around in the lower reaches of League 2, hoping, and I quote, for ‘a bit of football fortune’, then it’s badly run.
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), November 22, 2020, 9:59am; Reply: 74
Even Boris and his clandestine mates don’t have to account to this lack of professionalism. It is about time we detached from RH, we don’t even have GTFC commentators on live EFL games, instead we have this inept show. I’ve lost count the number of times I’ve been watching and the commentary goes live to Hull City games, even at full time the shift is straight to them. Do Hull City fans get match updates on Town, I doubt it.

I’m sure Tondeur is in breach of his professional BBC code with the sideshows he creates on social media. It is not his job to hold the manager to account, it is the Boards and I expect this to happen next week.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 22, 2020, 10:18am; Reply: 75
How are other teams 'pushing the boat out', given there is a salary cap in place this season?

I get that there is a certain amount of balancing to be done, given that teams already had contracts in place prior to it's introduction, but wasn't the idea that the cap was a leveller and something we as a club very much pushed for?

I'm sure there are other areas we can improve on apart from the squad, namely analysts, coaches and this new scout/recruitment manager we have at the club now. There have been suggestions in the past from previous incumbents about the lack of an off field structure commensurate with the modern day game.

IH has said many times that the club is very well run and about as efficient as it's possible to be. We have to believe he believes that, or I imagine he would be making veiled digs to the contrary, as most managers would  under scrutiny from the press and the fans.

I can only assume (maybe wrongly) that the targets he wanted didn't materialise for one reason or another and I think that is what he is referring to when he bangs on about covid. The clause we felt was needed to be inserted in contract talks meant we could only attract players who were keen to come and make a name for themselves, not the established pros needed to to able to compete with other clubs at the top end of the league. They could go elsewhere and get what they wanted. There is also the fact that players we wanted to keep were allowed to leave because of it too. Ollies plans well and truly scuppered with not a lot of time to get a squad in place.

I've no idea where we go from here. I assume we have targets we are lining up, but they will mainly be ones for Jan and the summer, so we will have to limp through until then with what we have. The release of Ohman and Mohsni will doubtless free up some cash for replacements and maybe there is a free agent or two somewhere out there we can coax along to the club. May even have someone in the pipeline already.

I've always seen us as a long term project with IH and it's not got off to the best of starts this season, but we were starting to look the real deal when when covid curtailed us after the great win at Scunny. He must be given time to get us back to those levels, because I cannot see us attracting anyone as committed to the cause as he seems to be.

Yesterday was a disaster, plain and simple, but before that game, we were actually quite well placed in the form table. Even now we are still above Bradford and Harrogate in said table. Bradford have way more resources than we do, and Harrogate were being lauded for their style of play and results not so long back. Things can change quickly.

Anyway, this post went on longer than I intended, but the gist of it is that I think we would be mad to make a change now, not that I think it's going to happen. This is the crazy world of football though, so nothing would surprise me.
Posted by: mariner91, November 22, 2020, 10:25am; Reply: 76
Quoted from 28195
Even Boris and his clandestine mates don’t have to account to this lack of professionalism. It is about time we detached from RH, we don’t even have GTFC commentators on live EFL games, instead we have this inept show. I’ve lost count the number of times I’ve been watching and the commentary goes live to Hull City games, even at full time the shift is straight to them. Do Hull City fans get match updates on Town, I doubt it.

I’m sure Tondeur is in breach of his professional BBC code with the sideshows he creates on social media. It is not his job to hold the manager to account, it is the Boards and I expect this to happen next week.

It literally is his job.
Posted by: ska face, November 22, 2020, 10:27am; Reply: 77
Quoted from 28195

Hysterical garbage. No idea how Tondeur’s coming in for any criticism here, is it too much to ask for a manager to go through a season without launching a tirade against Radio Humberside?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 22, 2020, 10:38am; Reply: 78
He's looking for an excuse to go,

'it's the fans fault, I really liked it there but they didn't love me so I had no choice'.

and I thought he was someone who would stick it out whatever
Posted by: Ipswin, November 22, 2020, 10:46am; Reply: 79
.At least Ollie has started to clear the decks of the "mistake" players.

He signed most of the buggers!

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 22, 2020, 11:00am; Reply: 80
Quoted from Ipswin

'it's the fans fault, I really liked it there but they didn't love me so I had no choice'.

Not for the first time I disagree with your opinion. Interviews after heavy defeats will always get emotional and spikey and personally I had no problems with JT’s questions but I do object as stated in a previous post about his Twitter comments later in the evening.

Anyway the reason I disagree relates to Ollie’s interview on Friday when he referred to plans not only for January but next season as well with regard player recruitment. This interview was given when Ollie was not steamed up, embarrassed and no doubt f....ing annoyed about a performance that had only ended half an hour before.

I just see no value in rolling the managerial dice yet again. In previous posts I acknowledge Ollie has got his recruitment wrong, something I believe he privately accepts, but I don’t expect him to slate those players in public and expect we will know what he feels as players leave. I do think he was probably naive on the difficulty that exists in getting players to join Grimsby and I think this was not helped by the pandemic and our clubs approach to player contracts.

Let’s not forget he has not been here for 12 months yet and five of those were spent twiddling thumbs and planning for a variety of scenarios that the club could face because of the pandemic. Hopefully, he is now much wiser, and as a consequence player recruitment will improve. Whoever is in charge wholesale changes are required and despite yesterday’s result I personally want Ollie to be in charge of that. Just over a year ago Lincoln were conceding six at home to Oxford and their league position shows much can change in a short period of time if you trust your Manager.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 22, 2020, 11:09am; Reply: 81
I agree with others that we should keep Holloway. He’s made mistakes but it’s still early doors, though there is more chance of us going down than up the way it’s looking. He recognises mistakes have been made and is trying to do something about them. And we are certainly not going to change our finances for the better if we switch managers again.

That said, he should have just kept his trap shut apart from a brief apology and said ‘right you’ll have to excuse me, we’ve got a lot of work to do to turn things around on Tuesday’. End of interview. He certainly shouldn’t be rising to fair questioning.

PS and stop making stupid excuses about Covid!

As for criticisms of Tondeur.....the man is doing what he’s supposed to do.
Posted by: ska face, November 22, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 82

Just over a year ago Lincoln were conceding six at home to Oxford and their league position shows much can change in a short period of time if you trust your Manager.

The Lincoln board invested a six-figure fee in September, on top of a massive share issue to the fans, described as the biggest round of investment seen since the current Chief Exec had been at the club.

Where are our board?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 22, 2020, 11:14am; Reply: 83
This will no doubt be an unpopular view but.......People talk about Tondeur like he’s a local treasure & part of the fabric of GTFC when in essence he’s a local radio football commentator who has often proved he can’t ask challenging questions and shrinks when confronted with any push back from a manager.

I detest Burns but he can be like a dog with a bone and Mike White has a good skill of asking open questions, with Tondeur you could get away with answering yes or no to most of his.

Holloway did a good job of diverting attention away from what was an abject performance based upon a poor team selection and failure on his part to respond quickly when they where pretty much walking through us.

There was nobody in our mid field yesterday who can win the ball and give it to the likes of Edwards. The shape was completely wrong and didn’t set up to put any of their defenders under pressure the lad they had playing on the left of their back 3 needed to be pulled around a bit and run at 4-3-3 is a waste of time with this set of players.

The players look paralysed by fear, short on confidence and unsure of what they are meant to be doing. They did things yesterday that you’d expect 7th tier players to do. The Saturday/Tuesday rotational selection approach would always be difficult at this level and with such poor quality.

There is so much fundamentally wrong but the managers post match guile and experience has got us all talking about an interview rather than a team that currently looks like relegation fodder.

Tranmere stitched us up yesterday Holloway did that to Tondeur.
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 22, 2020, 11:20am; Reply: 84
Thought that all managers nowadays had passed all these different badges, and I’m sure part of the training is how to deal with the press, also over the last 20 years we have had one successful season,and in all honesty all that was, was winning a playoff final to get out off the conference, so all the last few managers will have been answering more tricky questions after defeats then wins, because after a 5-0 win, and I struggle to remember one, the questions to the manager are not going to be critical. So Mr Holloway, use your press training along with your coaching training and get us out off this hole!!!
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, November 22, 2020, 11:25am; Reply: 85
Here is the full interview JT was referring to  to put things in to context

“If they want to come round my house and tell me to go home, I’ll stop selling it and buying one here.

“I don’t believe that’s the case. I will fight and die for these people, but if that’s what they want, they won’t have to ask me. That’s as honest as I can ever get.

“All those unhappy people, just come and tell me, it’s not a problem. If it’s all the Grimsby fans, then it isn’t a quibble, I’ll go. No problem if that’s what you want.

“I want to stay, I want to work, I want to get this right. I’ve made a mistake today by getting smashed, and I hated every minute of it, but I still want to do it.

“I still want to build a team, and I believe I will. At the minute, it isn’t anything like it, is it?

“That’s life. For me, let’s get it out in the open, if you want to do a fans’ forum we’ll do it, we’ll talk, not a problem, let’s get it out there, and I want some support.

“We deserve some support, because our fans do support us, and they do support me. That’s a fact.

“However many you read about and you hear, if it’s all of them, great, no problem, or if it’s just the moany, whingey ones, I do apologise, but that wasn’t good enough for me either by the way.

“I’m still sticking with this because football is so fickle it’s unreal. It’s nowhere near good enough, absolutely diabolical, worst little period I’ve had, but let’s fight back and let’s go and change some things and see if we can’t get better than that.

“It isn’t hard. Anything’s going to better than that, isn’t it?

“Well done to them by the way. Well done to their manager, who hasn’t even got that as a job yet. He’s a caretaker manager, so something was wrong here a few weeks ago, and football’s a real, short time isn’t it?

“We’re far too inexperienced in my opinion, and I brought these people, and that’s where we are, particularly up front.
We’re crying out for a James Vaughan who got hold of it, we’re crying out for a (James) Hanson who gets hold of it. That’ll help everything won’t it?

“I’m stood there and I’m going to be shot at aren’t I? I’ve got my head over the pulpit. You could say I’m rattled, who wouldn’t be after letting in 14 in four games. It’s absolutely horrific.

“Did I expect it? Not in a million years. Is it good enough? Not in a million years, so blame me, not a problem.”
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 22, 2020, 11:35am; Reply: 86
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

“If they want to come round my house and tell me to go home, I’ll stop selling it and buying one here.

“I don’t believe that’s the case. I will fight and die for these people, but if that’s what they want, they won’t have to ask me. That’s as honest as I can ever get.

“All those unhappy people, just come and tell me, it’s not a problem. If it’s all the Grimsby fans, then it isn’t a quibble, I’ll go. No problem if that’s what you want.

“I want to stay, I want to work, I want to get this right. I’ve made a mistake today by getting smashed, and I hated every minute of it, but I still want to do it.

“I still want to build a team, and I believe I will. At the minute, it isn’t anything like it, is it?

“That’s life. For me, let’s get it out in the open, if you want to do a fans’ forum we’ll do it, we’ll talk, not a problem, let’s get it out there, and I want some support.

“We deserve some support, because our fans do support us, and they do support me. That’s a fact.

“However many you read about and you hear, if it’s all of them, great, no problem, or if it’s just the moany, whingey ones, I do apologise, but that wasn’t good enough for me either by the way.

“I’m still sticking with this because football is so fickle it’s unreal. It’s nowhere near good enough, absolutely diabolical, worst little period I’ve had, but let’s fight back and let’s go and change some things and see if we can’t get better than that.

“Well done to them by the way. Well done to their manager, who hasn’t even got that as a job yet. He’s a caretaker manager, so something was wrong here a few weeks ago, and football’s a real, short time isn’t it?

“We’re far too inexperienced in my opinion, and I brought these people, and that’s where we are, particularly up front.
We’re crying out for a James Vaughan who got hold of it, we’re crying out for a (James) Hanson who gets hold of it. That’ll help everything won’t it?

“I’m stood there and I’m going to be shot at aren’t I? I’ve got my head over the pulpit. You could say I’m rattled, who wouldn’t be after letting in 14 in four games. It’s absolutely horrific.

“Did I expect it? Not in a million years. Is it good enough? Not in a million years, so blame me, not a problem.”

Town supporters are no different to any others, happy when we win grumble when we lose, it will have been the same at every club Holloway has managed.

Reading between the lines as much as a football manager does and he’s admitted he’s got it wrong. The back me or bin me mindset is an odd one but I’d suggest it’s more theatre than fact as he’s savvy enough to know he can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time.
Posted by: Tinymariner, November 22, 2020, 12:15pm; Reply: 87

And from that, JT tweeted that IH was ready to quit? It’s JT who should be resigning, absolutely shocking journalism. Hang your head in shame JT. How he can call himself a Town fan is beyond me, shite stirring as usual.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2020, 12:22pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Tinymariner

And from that, JT tweeted that IH was ready to quit? It’s JT who should be resigning, absolutely shocking journalism. Hang your head in shame JT. How he can call himself a Town fan is beyond me, shite stirring as usual.

He tweeted to say that Ollie would quit if the fans wanted him to. That is something entirely different to what you have just said.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 22, 2020, 12:23pm; Reply: 89

If that is the full quote JT needs to have a long look at himself. Most of the BBC is full of biased unprofessional reporting and this is yet another example. If we can’t have professional football reporting I don’t want any thank you.

Posted by: Tinymariner, November 22, 2020, 12:26pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He tweeted to say that Ollie would quit if the fans wanted him to. That is something entirely different to what you have just said.

So JT tweeted that IH was willing/ready to quit? Thought so!
Posted by: aldi_01, November 22, 2020, 12:39pm; Reply: 91
I mean perhaps Holloway is looking for a get out. Perhaps he realises he was hoodwinked the club and his own hyperbole is now catching him out.

The club hasn’t moved forward, isn’t well run as he claims and lacks any ambition for him to truly turn us around and make us in to something at least half decent?

Or may be Holloway is just using some weird reverse psychology and the whole thing has been taken out of any sort of context?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 22, 2020, 12:46pm; Reply: 92

Not for the first time I disagree with your opinion. Interviews after heavy defeats will always get emotional and spikey and personally I had no problems with JT’s questions but I do object as stated in a previous post about his Twitter comments later in the evening.

Anyway the reason I disagree relates to Ollie’s interview on Friday when he referred to plans not only for January but next season as well with regard player recruitment. This interview was given when Ollie was not steamed up, embarrassed and no doubt f....ing annoyed about a performance that had only ended half an hour before.

I just see no value in rolling the managerial dice yet again. In previous posts I acknowledge Ollie has got his recruitment wrong, something I believe he privately accepts, but I don’t expect him to slate those players in public and expect we will know what he feels as players leave. I do think he was probably naive on the difficulty that exists in getting players to join Grimsby and I think this was not helped by the pandemic and our clubs approach to player contracts.

Let’s not forget he has not been here for 12 months yet and five of those were spent twiddling thumbs and planning for a variety of scenarios that the club could face because of the pandemic. Hopefully, he is now much wiser, and as a consequence player recruitment will improve. Whoever is in charge wholesale changes are required and despite yesterday’s result I personally want Ollie to be in charge of that. Just over a year ago Lincoln were conceding six at home to Oxford and their league position shows much can change in a short period of time if you trust your Manager.

I am not advocating Holloway should leave or stay for that matter I am past caring frankly. The avalanche of players desperate to play for him was total balderdash (apart from Billy Clarke who I suspect just wanted a job for a season) and he has signed a load of players not capable of playing to his system (or he is not capable of putting his system in place) He arrived based on past glories to a wonderful welcome from thousands of hopeful fans starved of success.

As for fans blaming Fenty btw please remember Holloway knew EXACTLY what the postion and Fenty's approach was before he started (he had to go Dutch on the fish and chip welcome lunch probably)

We are not likely to recruit anyone with a bigger name (if that counts for anything) or more experienced and knowledgeable so we may as well stick with him for better or worse but I am not sure he will stick it out and any criticism from the fans (quite justifiably) or RH would be a tailor made excuse to quit

Sadly I am not convinced he is going to turn things around and I don't have the blind belief some appear to have. I would be delighted to be proved wrong as I want to see GTFC progress up the league(s) as much as the next man but it appears many would be satisfied if we finished one place above Scunny (lets hope they dont end up 24th!)

Posted by: Ipswin, November 22, 2020, 12:49pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from ska face

The Lincoln board invested a six-figure fee in September, on top of a massive share issue to the fans, described as the biggest round of investment seen since the current Chief Exec had been at the club.

Where are our board?

There is only one man on our board with a pot to urine in and if he puts any more money in he will merely be adding to the loan everone is constantly moaning about
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 22, 2020, 1:01pm; Reply: 94

That’s not the full interview though is it? It’s just a transcript of what Holloway said. It’s not in context because it doesn’t show what came before. Or any follow up question.

You’re just doing what some are accusing JT of.
Posted by: toontown, November 22, 2020, 1:08pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Tinymariner

So JT tweeted that IH was willing/ready to quit? Thought so!

Well did Ollie not say That he would go if the fans wanted him to?
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, November 22, 2020, 1:11pm; Reply: 96
Why did JT feel the need to cherry-pick one line from a previously published interview? This thread demonstrates the answer- he wanted to cause controversy....and succeeded!
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 1:17pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from Tinymariner

“If they want to come round my house and tell me to go home, I’ll stop selling it and buying one here"

You clearly have a problem understanding English. You can get classes for it if you want.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, November 22, 2020, 1:18pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That’s not the full interview though is it? It’s just a transcript of what Holloway said. It’s not in context because it doesn’t show what came before. Or any follow up question.

You’re just doing what some are accusing JT of.

I have just reposted what the actual telegraph reporter has published and in His words was the FULL interview
Posted by: gaz57, November 22, 2020, 1:19pm; Reply: 99
I've never asked a member of the family to leave and I'm not starting now.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 1:30pm; Reply: 100
Why did JT feel the need to cherry-pick one line from a previously published interview? This thread demonstrates the answer- he wanted to cause controversy....and succeeded!

He didn't.

JT has already stated that he had finished his interview and turned off his recorder before James Findlater asked the question based on many comments from fans after that performance and tweeted that last night.

The full interview was only published this morning.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 22, 2020, 1:32pm; Reply: 101

You are right in your analysis but do we really want irresponsible reporting of our club?
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 1:46pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from HertsGTFC
This will no doubt be an unpopular view but.......People talk about Tondeur like he’s a local treasure & part of the fabric of GTFC when in essence he’s a local radio football commentator who has often proved he can’t ask challenging questions and shrinks when confronted with any push back from a manager.

I detest Burns but he can be like a dog with a bone and Mike White has a good skill of asking open questions, with Tondeur you could get away with answering yes or no to most of his.

Holloway did a good job of diverting attention away from what was an abject performance based upon a poor team selection and failure on his part to respond quickly when they where pretty much walking through us.

There was nobody in our mid field yesterday who can win the ball and give it to the likes of Edwards. The shape was completely wrong and didn’t set up to put any of their defenders under pressure the lad they had playing on the left of their back 3 needed to be pulled around a bit and run at 4-3-3 is a waste of time with this set of players.

The players look paralysed by fear, short on confidence and unsure of what they are meant to be doing. They did things yesterday that you’d expect 7th tier players to do. The Saturday/Tuesday rotational selection approach would always be difficult at this level and with such poor quality.

There is so much fundamentally wrong but the managers post match guile and experience has got us all talking about an interview rather than a team that currently looks like relegation fodder.

Tranmere stitched us up yesterday Holloway did that to Tondeur.

I don't think there was much guile and experience shown in basically threatening to not move here and walk away based on fans having a moan about recent performances and the uproar that has come from that comment.

Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from 123614

So where exactly was IH supposed to have said this, because I listened to the after match interview and he certainly did NOT say it there.

Oh FFS.

JT has already said that he had finished his interview and turned off his recorder so that he could get it on Radio Humberside.

The question was asked by James Findlater after JT's questioning had finished.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, November 22, 2020, 1:57pm; Reply: 104
Look yesterday we were hopeless, by all accounts, and we haven’t pulled any trees up this season. But if Ollie goes, who is going to jump at the chance of taking over unfashionable Grimsby, near the bottom of the football pyramid, no money, not a great squad of players apparently.

Yes I can see all the top managers quickly getting their C.V.s ready For gods sake, wake up and smell the coffee. Hopefully he can turn it around, if not well?

Not so long ago there was take-over rumours, a new stadium to be built somewhere near and no nothing. Most of the staff at Blundell Park are still furloughed. The players have Covid clauses in their contracts and we don’t have a real Sugar Daddy.

Looks to me, the clubs not far from going out of business. So good luck getting that brilliant manager in.

End of rant.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 2:14pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Look yesterday we were hopeless, by all accounts, and we haven’t pulled any trees up this season. But if Ollie goes, who is going to jump at the chance of taking over unfashionable Grimsby, near the bottom of the football pyramid, no money, not a great squad of players apparently.

Yes I can see all the top managers quickly getting their C.V.s ready For gods sake, wake up and smell the coffee. Hopefully he can turn it around, if not well?

Not so long ago there was take-over rumours, a new stadium to be built somewhere near and no nothing. Most of the staff at Blundell Park are still furloughed. The players have Covid clauses in their contracts and we don’t have a real Sugar Daddy.

Looks to me, the clubs not far from going out of business. So good luck getting that brilliant manager in.

End of rant.

I'm not advocating IH should leave but you have come up with that same old bull excrement comment, who would we get. As far as I can remember IH is the only "top manager" we have ever employed even Bill Shankly wouldn't have been a top manager when we employed him and Lawrie McMenemy had just been sacked by Doncaster Rovers. There would be plenty of managers employed or not gagging to work at GTFC, many I would think who are doing sterling jobs in Non League a bit like Alan Buckley for example, remember him?
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, November 22, 2020, 2:26pm; Reply: 106
As I say Arry, good luck with that one, if you want to take the gamble. For me, better the devil you know, than one you don’t.
But good luck, if you really want to go down that route.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 22, 2020, 2:45pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not advocating IH should leave but you have come up with that same old bull excrement comment, who would we get. As far as I can remember IH is the only "top manager" we have ever employed even Bill Shankly wouldn't have been a top manager when we employed him and Lawrie McMenemy had just been sacked by Doncaster Rovers. There would be plenty of managers employed or not gagging to work at GTFC, many I would think who are doing sterling jobs in Non League a bit like Alan Buckley for example, remember him?

We don't have a good record at that though do we - in the 50 years since my first game (almost to the day - it was the Tees comeback game in Nov 70). We have had these successful managers Lawrie Mac, John Newman, George Kerr, Dave Booth (no promotion but highest league position), Alan Buckley and Paul Hurst. One successful manager every 8.5 years, and I can't be rsed to count the terrible ones. IH is higher profile and has had more success pre-GTFC than any of these did. His strategy for this COVID season of quantity not quality, no doubt taking in consideration that we have close to 2 games a week for the whole of this season, has backfired, I think he knows that. Look at the results of Alan Buckley's first 2 months tenure - we took some pastings, IH is in the same position as AB was, having to completely rebuild the squad, AB brought players from non-league, so has IH. We haven't seen a signing come off like a Keith Alexander or a John Cockerill yet but in AB first couple of months, it wasn't looking so good either.

Posted by: Garth, November 22, 2020, 2:50pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Ipswin

Certainly agree, the old saying is if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
I would have like to think that Ollie has more balls than this,  after years in the game, is he really reacting a lack of confidence in himself?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 22, 2020, 2:57pm; Reply: 109
I got to page 6 of this thread and had to jump to the end as it’s so fooking depressing.
We’ve regressed to being an absolute joke and tbh if Holloway has said if the fans want me out I’ll go pretty much says he wants out  . If you do Holloway, do one .
Posted by: aldi_01, November 22, 2020, 3:06pm; Reply: 110
The interview, the comments, the attitude from Holloway suggest he’s feeling the pressure.

The only thing probably saving him is the fact he’s spent most of his career talking shite and making sweeping comments.

I’m sure he’s woken up this morning and though FFs to himself and started looking at ways to stop us being so excrement...I hope. If not then I’d suggest he packs his stuff and buggers off and just does some TV work or something...
Posted by: ska face, November 22, 2020, 4:12pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from Ipswin

There is only one man on our board with a pot to urine in and if he puts any more money in he will merely be adding to the loan everone is constantly moaning about

That’s the problem isn’t it? Every penny he puts in comes with strings attached and he wants it all back at some point.

The fans have chucked the best part of half a million quid in the pot out of the goodness of their own hearts since 15/16, plus countless other fundraisers, name cards, and whatever else. Nobody expects it back.

Why is everything that comes out of his pocket a loan rather than a donation?
Posted by: Stadium, November 22, 2020, 4:52pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from ska face

That’s the problem isn’t it? Every penny he puts in comes with strings attached and he wants it all back at some point.

The fans have chucked the best part of half a million quid in the pot out of the goodness of their own hearts since 15/16, plus countless other fundraisers, name cards, and whatever else. Nobody expects it back.

Why is everything that comes out of his pocket a loan rather than a donation?

Which is why no one should question people who ask were has the money raised  been used.
The thread on the latest fundraising effort was interesting to say the least if you actually questioned were the funds raised were been channelled.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 22, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from aldi_01
The interview, the comments, the attitude from Holloway suggest he’s feeling the pressure.

The only thing probably saving him is the fact he’s spent most of his career talking shite and making sweeping comments.

I’m sure he’s woken up this morning and though FFs to himself and started looking at ways to stop us being so excrement...I hope. If not then I’d suggest he packs his stuff and buggers off and just does some TV work or something...

What ruddy attitude. What attitude do you expect him to have. His team just got thumped. Tondeur asked him a loaded question (fairly) and he re-acted like most managers would have done. I likeTondeur but he cant have it both ways. Ollie is an interviewers dream and gives regular 12-15 minute monologues whether you like them or not. He often gives more away then anybody I can remember. I too hope he has woken up and started to plan our recovery because he certainly needs to.  
Posted by: aldi_01, November 22, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Stadium

Which is why no one should question people who ask were has the money raised has been used.
The thread on the latest fundraising effort was interesting to say the least if you actually questioned were the funds raised were been channelled.

That’s been the issue for a while, those that question are often shot down or criticised for not being a supporter or some nonsense when in reality they’re exactly right to ask where that cash has gone.

That last fundraising effort was a flipping farce. The moment someone suggested the club should be clear about what they have done with it or plan to do with it people were shot down.

Fans have handed over cash for STs, nobody forces them but equally, they did so willingly, unlike a certain person. Ironic really given that was an excuse not to sell the club to the only genuine potential buyer. He wouldn’t play their game so they saw their arses.

It’s all well and good throwing support behind Holloway but in truth these issues will remain whoever is in charge Becauee of the leadership overall. I’d hazard a guess that that is why Holloway is feeling it at present. I’d imagine he saw the full force of the lack of vision in the summer, regardless of Covid, I think we all know he’d have eventually fallen out with them.

Our fans have handed over thousands without so much as a clear outline where or how it has been spent, surely the club could have the audacity to at least share that with fans.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2020, 5:22pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from aldi_01

That’s been the issue for a while, those that question are often shot down or criticised for not being a supporter or some nonsense when in reality they’re exactly right to ask where that cash has gone.

That last fundraising effort was a flipping farce. The moment someone suggested the club should be clear about what they have done with it or plan to do with it people were shot down.

Fans have handed over cash for STs, nobody forces them but equally, they did so willingly, unlike a certain person. Ironic really given that was an excuse not to sell the club to the only genuine potential buyer. He wouldn’t play their game so they saw their arses.

It’s all well and good throwing support behind Holloway but in truth these issues will remain whoever is in charge Becauee of the leadership overall. I’d hazard a guess that that is why Holloway is feeling it at present. I’d imagine he saw the full force of the lack of vision in the summer, regardless of Covid, I think we all know he’d have eventually fallen out with them.

Our fans have handed over thousands without so much as a clear outline where or how it has been spent, surely the club could have the audacity to at least share that with fans.

Can’t understand anyone red crossing that post. The fans continue to back the club, even when we can’t attend, and still the club shortchange us. I’ll continue to say it, Ollie needs to understand that the club isn’t run well because it’s run to refund loans spent on someone’s vanity. It hasn’t been run to reward the loyal fans for a very long time. He needs to look at this from the fans’ perspective not John Fenty’s.
Posted by: Stockport Mariner, November 22, 2020, 7:51pm; Reply: 116
As several have pointed out, it wasn’t JT ‘mischief making’, the question, “what would you say to fans who have lost patience with you/your team after today’s match?” Was asked by James Findlater. He asked that question after “seeing a plethora of tweets from fans.”
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 22, 2020, 9:12pm; Reply: 117
Are we actually using taxpayers money to furlough players?
That seems a little disingenuous and is possibly the most Fenty of Fenty things ever. Surely it can’t be true
Posted by: Stadium, November 22, 2020, 10:01pm; Reply: 118
That seems a little disingenuous and is possibly the most Fenty of Fenty things ever. Surely it can’t be true

https://upthemariners.co.uk/2020/11/21/%E2%9A%AB%E2%9A%AA-mariners-preparing-to-put-fringe-players-on-furlough/

Don't question it because "We’re a brilliantly run club. We are. We are one of the best."
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2020, 10:52pm; Reply: 119

I would be amazed and disappointed if it was true, unless it will only be players we are going to dump in January, seeing as a fair number of players aren't fit enough to last 90 minutes putting some on furlough would make them even more unfit. :-/
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 23, 2020, 12:26am; Reply: 120

I have just reposted what the actual telegraph reporter has published and in His words was the FULL interview

Yeah but you didn’t post Findlater’s question did you? Or any context. You are cherry picking same as people are accusing JT of.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 23, 2020, 12:35am; Reply: 121
Quoted from chipsandgravy

What ruddy attitude. What attitude do you expect him to have. His team just got thumped. Tondeur asked him a loaded question (fairly) and he re-acted like most managers would have done. I likeTondeur but he cant have it both ways. Ollie is an interviewers dream and gives regular 12-15 minute monologues whether you like them or not. He often gives more away then anybody I can remember. I too hope he has woken up and started to plan our recovery because he certainly needs to.  

Apologetic. Trite. Quiet.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 23, 2020, 10:01am; Reply: 122
Storm in a teacup here me reckons.  Holloway sulks - takes it out on JT - JT sulks, sends out tweet that raises more than a few eyebrows.

Holloway is a big drama queen.  I like him, I think he's a good manager and the back end of last season was the most excited I've felt about this club in a long time.  I think it's a crying shame that he hasn't had chance to build on what we had in March.

Anyone who couldn't see the improvements made from when he took over to when the season was curtailed really need to have a think about that.  The fall-out from Jolley was horrendous, those two months were absolutely turgid and I don't think many of us realise just how hard the job was for Limbrick to get things stable again.   Holloway came in and gave us that lift we needed.   He then massively improved us with every player he brought in.  Clarke was a major signing and gave us something we lacked and still do today.  Glennon and Benson were an example of the standard we want to aspire to but also highlighted his contacts (which people seem happy to deride at the minute).  Even the fringe players he brought in like Grandin were better than what we had and even now.

It's clear as day that our budget is shot to pieces this year.  It's not an excuse, it's a fact.  Prudent, sensible, cautious...whatever you want to call it. But we've quite clearly cut out cloth to the bare bones.  All the talk in the summer from Day that the club could continue without income for a year was absolute bullshit.  If that was the case and with fan donations, about 60% of season ticket holders renewing, taking advantage of the furlough scheme and other income streams (iFollow for example) why are we still holding our begging bowl out and why have we gone down the ultra cheap route?  Next years finances are going to be very interesting reading.

Over the course of last season I would argue the following were our best players (at various points).  McKeown, Pollock, Glennon, Benson, Hessenthaler, Vernam, Clarke, Hanson.  You then had someone like Whitehouse who was, in my opinion, the most improved player under Holloway.    Of those we have two available for the first team and one permanently sat in the treatment room.  We've not replaced the rest with anywhere near that level of quality.  

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts.  There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pros we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

Holloway right needs to take criticism for many things.  I think he got pre-season badly wrong and it cost us early on.  I still don't know why we've got players who aren't up to speed in terms of fitness, he needs to address that.  He needs to stop chopping and changing and using excuses that don't wash with anyone.   But if anyone is going to blame him for the recruitment this summer, nah.  He can't bring in quality when he's got sod all to entice them with.  For all this talk of replacing him, Jesus Christ do we really think we're going to bring someone in who can bring in quality players on a shoestring that's thread bare?

Saturday's interview was spiky from Holloway.  When we're playing well, people love to hear his little soundbites.  But when we're losing it grates.  It comes across as the ramblings of a madman.  In all honesty I never really liked his soundbites before he was Town boss but then got caught up in the hysteria around him when he took over, now I tend to just ignore what he says as it's largely just hot air.  

I listened to the interview and I don't think JT did a lot wrong in it.  If anything, a tougher interviewer wouldn't have let Holloway get away with it and put him back in his box.  But for as spiky as Holloway is, JT is petty with some of his comments on Town during games.  His attacks on Gibson in particular are shameful and he should be pulled up on it.  I'm in no doubt that will get back to Holloway and it will shape the relationship between the two.   He's there to tell us what's happening, not pass opinion on it.  Then after the game ask the questions that are relevant. Holloway needs to respect that.

Bang both their heads together and tell them to grow up.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 23, 2020, 10:05am; Reply: 123
Quoted from diehardmariner
Storm in a teacup here me reckons.  Holloway sulks - takes it out on JT - JT sulks, sends out tweet that raises more than a few eyebrows.

Holloway is a big drama queen.  I like him, I think he's a good manager and the back end of last season was the most excited I've felt about this club in a long time.  I think it's a crying shame that he hasn't had chance to build on what we had in March.

Anyone who couldn't see the improvements made from when he took over to when the season was curtailed really need to have a think about that.  The fall-out from Jolley was horrendous, those two months were absolutely turgid and I don't think many of us realise just how hard the job was for Limbrick to get things stable again.   Holloway came in and gave us that lift we needed.   He then massively improved us with every player he brought in.  Clarke was a major signing and gave us something we lacked and still do today.  Glennon and Benson were an example of the standard we want to aspire to but also highlighted his contacts (which people seem happy to deride at the minute).  Even the fringe players he brought in like Grandin were better than what we had and even now.

It's clear as day that our budget is shot to pieces this year.  It's not an excuse, it's a fact.  Prudent, sensible, cautious...whatever you want to call it. But we've quite clearly cut out cloth to the bare bones.  All the talk in the summer from Day that the club could continue without income for a year was absolute bullshit.  If that was the case and with fan donations, about 60% of season ticket holders renewing, taking advantage of the furlough scheme and other income streams (iFollow for example) why are we still holding our begging bowl out and why have we gone down the ultra cheap route?  Next years finances are going to be very interesting reading.

Over the course of last season I would argue the following were our best players (at various points).  McKeown, Pollock, Glennon, Benson, Hessenthaler, Vernam, Clarke, Hanson.  You then had someone like Whitehouse who was, in my opinion, the most improved player under Holloway.    Of those we have two available for the first team and one permanently sat in the treatment room.  We've not replaced the rest with anywhere near that level of quality.  

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts.  There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pro's we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

Holloway right needs to take criticism for many things.  I think he got pre-season badly wrong and it cost us early on.  I still don't know we've got players who aren't up to speed in terms of fitness, he needs to address that.  He needs to stop chopping and changing and using excuses that don't wash with anyone.   But if anyone is going to blame him for the recruitment this summer, nah.  He can't bring in quality when he's got sod all to entice them with.  For all this talk of replacing him, Jesus Christ do we really think we're going to bring someone in who can bring in quality players on a shoestring that's thread bare?

Saturday's interview was spiky from Holloway.  When we're playing well, people love to hear his little soundbites.  But when we're losing it grates.  It comes across as the ramblings of a madman.  In all honesty I never really liked his soundbites before he was Town boss but then got caught up in the hysteria around him when he took over, now I tend to just ignore what he says as it's largely just hot air.  

I listened to the interview and I don't think JT did a lot wrong in it.  If anything, a tougher interviewer wouldn't have let Holloway get away with it and put him back in his box.  But for as spiky as Holloway is, JT is petty with some of his comments on Town during games.  His attacks on Gibson in particular are shameful and he should be pulled up on it.  I'm in no doubt that will get back to Holloway and it will shape the relationship between the two.   He's there to tell us what's happening, not pass opinion on it.  Then after the game ask the questions that are relevant. Holloway needs to respect that.

I'm having that.👍👍⚽⚽
Posted by: Croxton, November 23, 2020, 10:08am; Reply: 124
Excellent summary.
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 23, 2020, 10:15am; Reply: 125
Brilliant post

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts.  There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pro's we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

Holloway right needs to take criticism for many things.  I think he got pre-season badly wrong and it cost us early on.  I still don't know we've got players who aren't up to speed in terms of fitness, he needs to address that.  He needs to stop chopping and changing and using excuses that don't wash with anyone.   But if anyone is going to blame him for the recruitment this summer, nah.  He can't bring in quality when he's got sod all to entice them with.  For all this talk of replacing him, Jesus Christ do we really think we're going to bring someone in who can bring in quality players on a shoestring that's thread bare?

Posted by: arryarryarry, November 23, 2020, 8:43pm; Reply: 126

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts. There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pros we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

Holloway right needs to take criticism for many things.  I think he got pre-season badly wrong and it cost us early on.  I still don't know why we've got players who aren't up to speed in terms of fitness, he needs to address that.  He needs to stop chopping and changing and using excuses that don't wash with anyone.   But if anyone is going to blame him for the recruitment this summer, nah.  He can't bring in quality when he's got sod all to entice them with.  For all this talk of replacing him, Jesus Christ do we really think we're going to bring someone in who can bring in quality players on a shoestring that's thread bare?

But whose decision was it to buy so many unfit cheap players rather than buying less players but better ones?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 23, 2020, 9:08pm; Reply: 127

Having already shown his ability to bring in improvements in his first two months at the club, I think we were all hopeful he would be able to bring in that level again.  It's not a question of his contacts, it's not a question of him getting people to play for him, it's the fact that we're offering peanuts.  There's a reason we signed a guy from the Greek second division that no-one else would touch, he's cheap.  There's a reason we've signed a lad from Nottm Forest's youth team and made him our first choice left-back with no competition, because he's cheap.  There's reason we've signed a host of lads from non-league in the hope they can step up, because they're cheap.  All the loans we've brought in, cheap.  All the experienced pros we've brought in with an alarming lack of games in recent years, cheap.

This nails it, one thing to add why is Ben Davis effectively Holloway’s assistant?........... you know the answer!
Posted by: Maringer, November 24, 2020, 12:43am; Reply: 128
I've not seen much of the football this season, but caught most of the game on Saturday. Missed the first goal, but watched us capitulate pathetically before half time and only half-watched the dead rubber of a second half.

A couple of things strike me. Over the past couple of decades, I've always felt comfortable when we've faced teams who try to play it out from the back. The simple fact is that the players in the 4th and 5th tiers generally just aren't good enough to do this and you can all but guarantee that you'll be handed a couple of chances in the game either by being gifted possession when things go wrong, or being given the chance to win possession with men forward. I still think it's a big gamble now it's us trying to play in this style. We sort of got away with trying to pass it out from the back last season, despite not really being equipped to do so (with the best will in the world, the likes of Ohman, Waterfall, Pollock are not great ball players). This was probably helped by the fact that we had players such as Glennon and Benson, Clarke and Vernam to give the opposition a bit more to think about with Hessenthaler keeping things very tidy in the middle before he was clobbered. This season, not so much. With the very best will in the world, Preston, Morton, Taylor, Williams, (from the little I've seen of him) Rose, Gibson, Windsor, Gomis aren't close to a patch on those they have replaced. We've got the same central defenders trying to play it out but without any sort of attacking force to play it to, so it's no wonder we're failing so abysmally.

I think Holloway has tried to be a bit too clever here. From the signings, you'd imagine we've not spent a huge amount despite the number of players we've got in, but he's obviously decided to sign so many to cope with the relentless run of games we're facing. The senior players there to help the younger ones through either haven't been fit or are the wrong type of player for me, especially in midfield. Rose a good link player on his day, but he's given the ball away too much on the couple of occasions I've watched him play. Williams has offered nothing for somebody with pedigree. Scannell and Moshni barely involved rather than shepherding the youngsters through. I'd say that central midfield is the toughest area for a young player to succeed and it's no surprise that even the best central midfielders tend to learn the game in wider positions before moving more central. With Morton and Taylor chucked into the middle as often as not, it's no surprise that we're very short of ability there as the midfield is just bypassed too easily.

Ultimately, I think Holloway has bought into his own hype too much. He thought he had the ability to mesh together the young players and the more experienced pros, but didn't consider what would happen if pretty much all of those experienced pros were injured or well out of form. The constant chopping and changing is obviously to try and discover a combination which might work, but this reminds me too much of Bignot and Jolley for my liking. Starting Clifton on the left on Saturday was just ludicrous, especially as Preston is an OK defender, if hardly a world-beater. No surprise that the team don't look like they know what they are doing much of the time due to the lack of continuity.

I certainly don't think Holloway should be leaving at this point in the season/pandemic and it seems he's realised his errors as he's talking about thinning out the squad as well as bringing in one or two players. I only hope that Holloway's much-vaunted contacts can bring us one or two more effective players. It's pretty clear that the season is a write off for us already despite the light at the end of the tunnel as far as the pandemic is concerned, so we just need to make sure we win enough results to keep us clear of the drop and then hopefully make some positive changes next season.

In a normal year, Holloway has shown he can get some good young players in on loan and attract some more experienced players with pedigree at this level. We just need to get through this shiteshow of a year/season in one piece first of all.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 4:50pm