Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 383,966 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 19, 2020, 10:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Tier 4 seems very lockdowny to me. He just can't bring himself to say the word can he?

He can still say “alas” though. A record 5 by my count today. The ‘o’ in count is optional, the fockin Eton count
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3220 - 3468
codcheeky
December 20, 2020, 9:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Maringer
I don't want to appear cynical (though I very much am), but ever since they started floating the news of a new, worrying strain of the virus a week or so ago, I couldn't help but think that would be a get out of jail card for them. It allows a 180 degree turnaround in policy and the scientists would be happy to go along with it if it corrected the mistakes of allowing widespread mixing over Christmas. The data is under review so I wouldn't be enormously surprised if it turned out that the new strain wasn't necessarily more transmissible than the others which are circulating.

Of course, my cynicism may just be taking over my better judgement and it may be a serious problem with higher transmissability. If so, all bets are off. It's already very easy to catch the virus so if it gets 70% more transmissible, we're all pretty much certain to get it in 2021 unless the vaccines can help.

This new strain ( seemingly more infectious but not more deadly or more likely to be resistant to the vaccine)is very convenient, where I am in London tier 2 has been very lax, the shops crammed with Christmas shoppers and the bars and restaurants full. The local Irish bar had a mini pizza with a pint offer which counted as a substantial meal, no one is surprised rates are rising fast.
The new strain may have given Johnson a reason to save face on another U turn but it could seriously damage the chances of any international travel from the U.K. for quite a while.
On a personal note I lost my grandmother to the virus, she died from lung complications due to the virus in Grimsby hospital last week, I always feared this would happen from March and perhaps the saddest thing is she could have little or no contact with her family since then. I hope lessons will be learned because internationally even with modern medecine and knowledge we have failed miserably with this and are continuing to do so
Private Message
Reply: 3221 - 3468
Stadium
December 20, 2020, 10:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from codcheeky

This new strain ( seemingly more infectious but not more deadly or more likely to be resistant to the vaccine)is very convenient, where I am in London tier 2 has been very lax, the shops crammed with Christmas shoppers and the bars and restaurants full. The local Irish bar had a mini pizza with a pint offer which counted as a substantial meal, no one is surprised rates are rising fast.
The new strain may have given Johnson a reason to save face on another U turn but it could seriously damage the chances of any international travel from the U.K. for quite a while.
On a personal note I lost my grandmother to the virus, she died from lung complications due to the virus in Grimsby hospital last week, I always feared this would happen from March and perhaps the saddest thing is she could have little or no contact with her family since then. I hope lessons will be learned because internationally even with modern medecine and knowledge we have failed miserably with this and are continuing to do so

Condolences,an awful set of circumstances.
Interest timing around the new "mutant" strain

https://timeforrecovery.org/mutantstrain/

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3222 - 3468
LH
December 20, 2020, 11:29am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,527
Gold Stars: 173
Can you remember when they used to make changes to the policy with a weeks notice? Facemasks in shops, bubbles etc. I think they said they did it so there was absolute clarity. Well they put London into this new fangled tier four at eight hours notice causing outbound trains to be rammed and operators to warn if you’re not comfortable not being socially distanced not to travel.
Private Message
Reply: 3223 - 3468
KingstonMariner
December 20, 2020, 12:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from LH
Can you remember when they used to make changes to the policy with a weeks notice? Facemasks in shops, bubbles etc. I think they said they did it so there was absolute clarity. Well they put London into this new fangled tier four at eight hours notice causing outbound trains to be rammed and operators to warn if you’re not comfortable not being socially distanced not to travel.

The problem wouldn’t have been half so bad if the government hadn’t been weak in the first place and had just said Christmas is cancelled.

But it had to be done. Think if they’d given more notice then that would have given people more time to travel and mix, and therefore spread the virus. And I speak as someone whose Christmas plans have beenfucked over by this.

Will see what the Tory backbenchers think about this. If they rebel I can see Boris caving again.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3224 - 3468
codcheeky
December 20, 2020, 1:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The problem wouldn’t have been half so bad if the government hadn’t been weak in the first place and had just said Christmas is cancelled.

But it had to be done. Think if they’d given more notice then that would have given people more time to travel and mix, and therefore spread the virus. And I speak as someone whose Christmas plans have beenfucked over by this.

Will see what the Tory backbenchers think about this. If they rebel I can see Boris caving again.

Your last paragraph is perhaps why this was done on a Saturday after Parliament was closed, Witty and Valance have a lot to answer for they have allowed themselves to be used as political pawns in this epidemic for too often
Private Message
Reply: 3225 - 3468
grimsby pete
December 20, 2020, 3:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Full Lockdown after Christmas or in New Year.

Even in rural areas where I live the new strain is everywhere.

We got away so far with very little people having caught the virus but in the last couple of weeks it's everywhere.

My granddaughters husband predicted this would happen he used to work in a lab in Cambridge dealing with virus and the what. Very interesting subject if it wasn't so dam dangerous.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3226 - 3468
TownSNAFU5
December 20, 2020, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
SE Asia was better prepared than others for dealing with Covid and reacting quickly using protocols already in place,  this followed their experiences gained from dealing with SARS etc.

If everything happens for a reason, then is Covid the world’s larger equivalent of Asia learning from SARS?

Could a far more virulent virus appear in say 5-20 years time?  One we will now be much better prepared to tackle.  There are so many different things to learn from Covid.

The bigger picture.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3227 - 3468
Stadium
December 20, 2020, 8:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
SE Asia was better prepared than others for dealing with Covid and reacting quickly using protocols already in place,  this followed their experiences gained from dealing with SARS etc.

If everything happens for a reason, then is Covid the world’s larger equivalent of Asia learning from SARS?

Could a far more virulent virus appear in say 5-20 years time?  One we will now be much better prepared to tackle.  There are so many different things to learn from Covid.

The bigger picture.  

Amazing statistics from Taiwan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-55269729

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3228 - 3468
codcheeky
December 21, 2020, 10:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Well Saturday’s press conference produced the results expected by everyone except the Government and we have absolute chaos at the borders.
Telling the world we had a dangerous new strain and then being surprised when other countries take action to stop it spreading. Johnson has dug himself and the country into a massive hole, if he didn’t expect something like this to happen he is being extremely badly advised
Private Message
Reply: 3229 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.