Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 25 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 383,960 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... Next All Recommend Thread
LH
November 6, 2020, 8:13pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,526
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Advocating closing schools indefinitely doesn't really work for me with a 5 year old and a 7 year old. The risk of children that age picking it up seems extremely slim and the chance of them transmitting it even slimmer. Learning online at that age just isn't even close to the same and though I understood and supported it the first time I wouldn't again.

But now those kids (roughly the same ages as yours) are off and home for two weeks without being confirmed as cases. It then sets off a chain reaction around the school with siblings in other year groups possibly needing to isolate in a weeks time. There’s then a possibility that the original year groups will have to isolate again in a months time too.

None of this would be a problem if you could guarentee a test within a short period with 24hr results.
Private Message
Reply: 3120 - 3468
Rodley Mariner
November 6, 2020, 8:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from LH

But now those kids (roughly the same ages as yours) are off and home for two weeks without being confirmed as cases. It then sets off a chain reaction around the school with siblings in other year groups possibly needing to isolate in a weeks time. There’s then a possibility that the original year groups will have to isolate again in a months time too.

None of this would be a problem if you could guarentee a test within a short period with 24hr results.

That's two different things though. Should we have a better test and track and trace system after the sacrifices we made in lockdown 1? 100% Should all schools stay shut because they copulated it - not for me. My 7 year old desperately missed school between March and September. He has been back 7 weeks now but seems likely he will have to be off for the next week and a half but that is infinitely better for him than never having gone back - socially, developmentally, educationally, mentally.

Incidentally his will be the 6th of 7 year groups to have a period out of school and every single one has been a teacher or a TA who had tested positive. Not a single one amongst the kids.

I also have huge sympathy for teachers and especially head teachers in a horrible, horrible situation but you can't take children out of schools for months and years and not materially impact their life chances. Truth is as usual that the more disadvantaged the child the harder the hit as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3121 - 3468
codcheeky
November 7, 2020, 6:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31

And she seems to be the only person to have leaked it from any hospital in the entire country.

My sister has also been told she will be getting the vaccine in December
Private Message
Reply: 3122 - 3468
aldi_01
November 7, 2020, 8:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
PHE handing out varying information now too.

Several friends who are head teachers have called this week with essentially the same information and all have been given different information. One was actively discouraged from shutting a bubble, instead only sending a handful of folk home.

All becoming a bit of a mess, if it wasn’t already. The CEV guidance also causes anxiety and confusion. If you’re classed as CEV your children/partner doesn’t have to isolate or shield, effectively being in a position to bring Covid in to the home. We’ve a staff member worried understandably but also feeling guilty about letting the staff team down. It’s all very stressful and anxious.

I think we’re now reaching a point of complete confusion and in some cases unworkable processes.

It’s ok though, plenty of ministers have helped make their chums rich.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3123 - 3468
jamesgtfc
November 7, 2020, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
I'm with Rodley here. I've a 6 year old who struggled massively though the last lockdown and the work on Google Classroom was totally inadequate but he wouldn't do it anyway.

5x 30 minute Zoom calls in 6 months and the school think they have done marvellous. My son has his SATS in May and if we lock schools down he won't be able to read the questions!. He had a problem with his hearing in reception class which delayed his progress, started to make huge strides before lockdown and has again started to make huge strides since returning to school. Closing them down will destroy him mentally and school are putting huge pressure on it being working parents responsibility to ensure our children complete the Google Classroom curriculum. Joe Wicks and drawing pretty pictures isn't the curriculum. The school day is 6 hours so in the event that his class closes down, I expect the teacher to be on Zoom, Teams or Skype for a minimum of 2 hours each day. It won't happen though.

We got a letter yesterday saying a year group has closed down due to a positive test. I found out at school club last night that it is Year 1 and Year 4 which have closed down.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3124 - 3468
LH
November 7, 2020, 11:31pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,526
Gold Stars: 173
The teachers will be teaching online for the duration (at least the one who lives in my house will be because I won’t be letting her live a life lf leisure while I have to work!).  Whether or not the parents sit their kids in front of it is a different matter. It was painful to watch her plan work for the kids for less than a handful of kids to actually do the work she set in the first lockdown.
Private Message
Reply: 3125 - 3468
jamesgtfc
November 8, 2020, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from LH
The teachers will be teaching online for the duration (at least the one who lives in my house will be because I won’t be letting her live a life lf leisure while I have to work!).  Whether or not the parents sit their kids in front of it is a different matter. It was painful to watch her plan work for the kids for less than a handful of kids to actually do the work she set in the first lockdown.

Our school uploaded feeble worksheets. The work set was drawing a picture and doing Joe Wicks. That isn't school work.

Appreciate each school is different but our experience was awful. The only thing my son got involved with and enjoyed was the Zoom calls. We've told the school this and how much we struggled with Google Classroom but they don't seem to care.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3126 - 3468
Rodley Mariner
November 8, 2020, 12:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Our school set work every day by a blog. Quite varied initially but reduced in time to a focus on Maths and English. Probably 2 hours of work a day. To be fair the teachers were also trying to teach small classes of key worker kids so they were stretched. It is also worth saying James that there is no way you could teach 30 5-11 year olds via zoom for an hour let alone 6 or 7. The truth is nothing compensates for face to face teaching and interaction with other children. I will also say I think the head and teachers at my lads school are excellent. When the time came they did everything they could to get kids back and I've always felt they are caring and want to stay open. I just don't understand people complaining about not being able to watch football or play golf but saying they should just close schools tlike there is no consequences to that for millions of children and their life chances. And that's especially true of primary school children who are less able to learn independently and who seem to be playing a minimal role in the virus spreading.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3127 - 3468
grimsby pete
November 9, 2020, 5:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
Our school set work every day by a blog. Quite varied initially but reduced in time to a focus on Maths and English. Probably 2 hours of work a day. To be fair the teachers were also trying to teach small classes of key worker kids so they were stretched. It is also worth saying James that there is no way you could teach 30 5-11 year olds via zoom for an hour let alone 6 or 7. The truth is nothing compensates for face to face teaching and interaction with other children. I will also say I think the head and teachers at my lads school are excellent. When the time came they did everything they could to get kids back and I've always felt they are caring and want to stay open. I just don't understand people complaining about not being able to watch football or play golf but saying they should just close schools tlike there is no consequences to that for millions of children and their life chances. And that's especially true of primary school children who are less able to learn independently and who seem to be playing a minimal role in the virus spreading.

I can not see any problem with golfers being able to play their sport as they can do social distancing no problem.

I have not played for years and that was on pitch and putt greens. If I did play on a full course I would be at least 50 yards away from my golf partner  

Edit. I mean in the rough  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3128 - 3468
Rick12
November 9, 2020, 6:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

I can not see any problem with golfers being able to play their sport as they can do social distancing no problem.

I have not played for years and that was on pitch and putt greens. If I did play on a full course I would be at least 50 yards away from my golf partner  
Thats the thing I have with golf Pete. Its quite expensive. Comparative to other sports like football and even tennis. I know in primary school we use to play football with a tennis ball  . Bit cheaper than £18 a round now and more which is what it is in golf.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3129 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.