Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 383,986 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
December 2, 2020, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Remember, folks, a tiny proportion of people scamming the system are a clear indication that everyone is at it. Funny how it's always, "I know somebody who works in X who tells me that these people do Y", and not direct experience or anything witnessed personally.

Anyway, the government itself reckons benefit fraud is somewhere around 2% of benefits expenditure (it has been increasing following a decade of austerity, unsurprisingly). With this in mind, it's safe to say that the vast, vast majority of people aren't trying to con the system.

As an aside, the amount lost to tax evasion is at least 20 times higher and probably more. So why are the numbers of HMRC employees (and DWP for that matter), continuing to fall? Why, it's almost as though the government isn't interested in curbing tax evasion! Now, what about those Freeports the government are ramming through, despite the concern that they will lead to money laundering and further tax evasion...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3180 - 3468
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 2, 2020, 11:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face

How do they manage that? Serious question - have you worked in an environment where these food bank referrals are authorised?

No that is distraction. The misleading of professionals is not just about food banks is it? Neither is it new. Pulling the wool over the DHSS assessor’s mince pies is not so unusual. I did come across scams on school clothing coupons for instance going back decades, a thriving black market. There have been scams on free school meals for decades most often by not declaring income, partner’s residence and so on. But they get ignored because the argument is always that we should trust people to be honest and we cannot penalise the genuinely needy. I agree with the latter but sadly there are some who cannot be trusted.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3181 - 3468
ginnywings
December 2, 2020, 11:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548

No that is distraction. The misleading of professionals is not just about food banks is it? Neither is it new. Pulling the wool over the DHSS assessor’s mince pies is not so unusual. I did come across scams on school clothing coupons for instance going back decades, a thriving black market. There have been scams on free school meals for decades most often by not declaring income, partner’s residence and so on. But they get ignored because the argument is always that we should trust people to be honest and we cannot penalise the genuinely needy. I agree with the latter but sadly there are some who cannot be trusted.

£7000 pounds per day 'consultants' for instance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3182 - 3468
ginnywings
December 2, 2020, 11:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face
The way these spongers go on, its almost as if you need a phone and internet connection to function in society these days! It’s not as if you can get a contract for £3.95 per month and a handset for a tenner or less. And why would you even need a mobile? Everyone knows you can sign up for universal credit and access support services without one. Zero-hours contract jobs are also well known for offering stable hours that never change and you never need notifying abut.

They must all be millionaires I imagine, queuing up for rice, cereal, tinned carrots and home brand pasta sauce and getting rich by saving about £20 a fortnight. Obviously they’ve somehow tricked the professional who has to refer them to a foodbank having assessed their situation.

This country has spawned a generation of spiteful, hate-filled, comfortable property owners who have enjoyed every benefit of the state - free education, plenty growing up in council housing, free healthcare, a generous welfare state - and have decided to pull up the ladder behind them. The world will be a much happier place without them.

Think a part of that post has been removed from when I read it earlier. Something about popping our clogs.

Being part the generation you speak of, I can't much disagree with you. This country/world sickens me more and more as time moves on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3183 - 3468
grimsby pete
December 3, 2020, 7:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
I have been told that a lot of property owners are putting their houses up for sale and giving their tenants notice to quit.

A single/divorced lady is moving her child minding service for the third time in a year .

Her latest move is very close to me which means I can pick my great granddaughter up in the afternoon.

Not so good for her having to move her business twice in a short time.

This virus is effecting loads of people in so many ways

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3184 - 3468
codcheeky
December 3, 2020, 8:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
There are and have always been those who are frightened to death someone else might get something for nothing and would be happy to see the least fortunate in society living in ad much poverty as possible. As someone who went to school in the seventies, a time when we were still building council houses, leisure centres and swimming pools with hope for a better future, that we would be where we are today, infinitely richer as country but with a massive homeless population, kids leaving university with massive debt and food banks.
FOOD BANKS even writing the words is embarrassing, in the fifth largest economy in the world, what has gone wrong?  They are a stain on us collectively as a nation, we are failing our own citizens
Private Message
Reply: 3185 - 3468
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 3, 2020, 9:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

£7000 pounds per day 'consultants' for instance.

That is exactly the sort of comment I mean. The distraction technique. “This is wrong so it must be OK for others to do wrong.”

I feel for the families who hitched their lives to jobs in hospitality and retail for example and find themselves with empty savings after 2 lockdowns, unable to pay a mortgage and having to negotiate bills with power companies etc. Those are people who genuinely need help. The ones who cheat the system cheat them and cheat those who give out of goodness.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3186 - 3468
Ipswin
December 3, 2020, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have been told that a lot of property owners are putting their houses up for sale and giving their tenants notice to quit.

Has there been some rule slipped through that folk aren't allowed to sell property which they own now Pete?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 3187 - 3468
grimsby pete
December 3, 2020, 1:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

Has there been some rule slipped through that folk aren't allowed to sell property which they own now Pete?

Did I say that Swin  ?

What I did say is the virus is effecting a lot of people.

The property owner might have problems and need the money.

The tenant has a problem because they need to find somewhere else to live.

The virus is effecting a lot of people in different ways.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3188 - 3468
Ipswin
December 3, 2020, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

Did I say that Swin  ?

What I did say is the virus is effecting a lot of people.

The property owner might have problems and need the money.

The tenant has a problem because they need to find somewhere else to live.

The virus is effecting a lot of people in different ways.

By adding that tenants are being given notice to quit you made the fact that homeowners are selling their properties sound like a criticism

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 3189 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.