Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 384,833 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
October 5, 2020, 3:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
That much vaunted private sector efficiency on display once again.

Every tax payer in the country is funding this embarrassing failure, and their shareholders are taking money out of your pockets. Other countries are cracking on whilst we’re wallowing in failure, at astronomical expense.
Private Message
Reply: 3020 - 3468
Manchester Mariner
October 5, 2020, 3:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
My Mrs works in the civil service and is forever bemoaning the shitness of the IT set up of gov.uk. I just thought it was standard work gripe stuff until we have both been working from home and I got to see it for myself, real basic stuff just not working. Wasnt massively surprised that they just missed thousands of positive tests down the back of the virtual cabinet. Doesn't bode well for Brexit with all the system changes that'll be required.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 3021 - 3468
ginnywings
October 7, 2020, 10:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Good to see some are benefitting from the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54446285
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3022 - 3468
Roast Em Bobby
October 9, 2020, 7:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ginnywings
Good to see some are benefitting from the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54446285

Yes, good to know we are taxing them appropriately. Oh, hang on...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3023 - 3468
ska face
October 9, 2020, 11:58am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
For any clown still asking “would Corbyn have done any better?”, the answer is categorically yes:

Tweet 1314487245513076736 will appear here...

This government are paying interns at Deloitte £290 per hour for a test and trace programme that has failed. Other staff are pocketing £1450 of taxpayers cash per hour, for something that doesn’t work.

All these people need putting against the wall.
Private Message
Reply: 3024 - 3468
Stadium
October 10, 2020, 6:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Matthew Parris's take in the Times - The big difference between Britain and Sweden is that their politicians are decisive and so the public has trust in them

"Our leaders seem clueless about Covid"

It was literally only an instant and decades ago, but never will I forget those few seconds when climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. We had chosen the beautiful but difficult “western breach” route. Hours before dawn, in the thin, freezing air beneath the summit, we reached the edge of a great tilted sheet of iced snow. Must we now traverse this — steep as a roof, and sloping down to our right into a starlit infinity? Might someone slip? We three and our African guide gathered at the edge.

It was then that I caught our guide’s eye. He’d been taking a sneak glance up through rocks to our left, looking for a safer way. Eyes met. I’d realised he was not confident and he realised I now knew it. Nothing was said, but for me, exhausted, breathless and cold, it was utterly discouraging. He led us across the ice slope without mishap. But he had lost my trust.

I write after a trip to Sweden. I’m a lockdown-sceptic who admires what that country, guided by its state epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, has done to keep things running normally, so my report may surprise you. I was struck by many similarities (in practical terms) between the Swedish and the British approach to Covid-19. Indeed a month ago Dr Tegnell said preparation was under way for local lockdowns, believing this might prove necessary (though so far it has not). There is no flat theoretical contradiction between Sweden’s approach and ours, at least so far as ours can be discerned.

The really big difference, I sensed, was not about rules at all, but about popular trust. Trust is key. Trust, not that a government’s policy is necessarily right, but that government does have a policy.

Stockholm, where we started, is not (as we British used to giggle) some kind of cold-climate, stripped-pine arcadia where anything goes, everyone eats meatballs and earns about the same, and moral stricture is limited to po-faced seminars on lesbian equality and Third World nutrition. No, Stockholm is a grand imperial capital, with the quiet showiness and proud sense of exceptionalism that flows, if not in the recollection then in the bloodstream, of a people who once led a great European empire. And despite their almost empty infinity of lake and forest, this is a nation of city-dwellers, townies and villagers, most living cheek-by-jowl as we do. There are rich and poor, there are beggars and braggarts and druggies and drunks, there are smart restaurants, pavement cafés on every corner, and, from the splendid state museums and galleries to the cavernous underground railway concourses, a sense everywhere of style and of the monumental.

“Thank you for keeping your distance”, say messages on Stockholm’s impressive public transport system. And, politely, they do keep their distance, at least as much as here. They don’t wear masks because they’re unconvinced masks work, and they kept their primary schools (and now all schools and universities) open. Well-spaced restaurants and bars never closed, but capacity on public transport reduced (though not as much as ours) and many people worked, and still work, from home. Laws have not proved necessary.

And so it has become the conventional wisdom that the difference between Sweden and Britain is that “community cohesion” keeps Swedes obedient, because everybody wants to do the same thing and be of one mind, while we British lack this kind of team spirit. It’s an easy explanation. But talking to people in Stockholm and Gothenburg I’ve concluded that it’s not the whole, or even perhaps the main, truth. Which brings me back to that moment on the icy slopes of a mountain, and the question of trust. Not in each other, but in the guides.

There is a delicate but acute difference between following our leaders and agreeing with them. By no means do Swedes all agree with their government’s light-touch hand on the Covid-policy tiller. Some hero-worship Tegnell; others emphatically don’t. I have spoken to a former Swedish prime minister who thinks this government’s Tegnell-led approach is reckless. Rikard, a thoughtful young Swedish barman with whom I discussed the controversy, took the opposite view, criticising the authorities for closing late-night clubs. Clubs would not (he thought) become infection hotspots. Rikard was more worried about loneliness among single people. A café-proprietor we met on our walk in the offshore islands near Gothenburg (its city streets busy with merry groups of university students) said she avoided the city. Opinions, in short, are various.

But there’s one thing all these different Swedes can see. Policy is being led by a government that believes in what it is doing, and believes in its own chief epidemiologist. There’s a sense of moral and intellectual confidence. There is clarity. They know where they are.

For a people to see in its leaders decisiveness and a settled sense of direction gives a lighthouse-like reassurance. And the opposite is true. Once a people begin to fear that their leaders themselves do not know what to do — are not themselves confident — a chill enters the nation’s soul: and enters ours now, this autumn.

Had I been alive during the Second World War I would have sensed fear that we might lose, but no disarray in our leaders. As a young MP during the Falklands crisis I was unsure of the wisdom of going to war, yet still felt that unifying sense that there was a plan. As a Times columnist I railed against the Iraq war, the occupation of Afghanistan, the assault on Libya, and now Brexit: but in every case I could see there was a firm policy in which our leaders believed. So opposition, yes. Anger, even. But to beat your fists against a solid policy is nowhere near so disconcerting as to beat your fists against . . . well, what is the policy with Covid-19? I think our cabinet, if it even deserves that name, is all at sea and close to despair.

Matt Hancock and Rishi Sunak run for the cover of their job titles and go full tilt for saving lives/saving livelihoods, each ducking the big decision about balance. A demoralised Whitehall keeps its head down, while government health advisers are nonplussed that lockdown levers in Liverpool seem disconnected from their will-o’-the-wisp “R-number”.

Reader, if government decided to give the economy another kicking to “beat” the virus, I’d be scared. And if government decided to protect the economy by risking your health, you’d be scared. Now we’re all scared. Did I catch Boris Johnson’s eye sneaking a glance in Sweden’s direction? Or did I just imagine it? No matter. It’s too late.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3025 - 3468
Stadium
October 11, 2020, 5:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face
That much vaunted private sector efficiency on display once again.

Every tax payer in the country is funding this embarrassing failure, and their shareholders are taking money out of your pockets. Other countries are cracking on whilst we’re wallowing in failure, at astronomical expense.

https://99-percent.org/money-for-nothing/

https://www.opendemocracy.net/.....st-and-trace-scheme/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3026 - 3468
LH
October 11, 2020, 9:37pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,597
Gold Stars: 175
If you had one guess which northern city is going to be first to face the harshest restrictions imposed by a Conservative government do you think you’d guess it? When many cabinet MPs constituencies have a similar infection rate you have to come to a conclusion that there is something classist about these new measures.
Private Message
Reply: 3027 - 3468
LH
October 12, 2020, 9:41pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,597
Gold Stars: 175
Newly released SAGE advice recommended an immediate circuit break lockdown on September 21st. Today - not a lot changed but the govt got a free hit on the scousers and we all got told to buck our ideas up.
Private Message
Reply: 3028 - 3468
Stadium
October 12, 2020, 10:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LH
Newly released SAGE advice recommended an immediate circuit break lockdown on September 21st. Today - not a lot changed but the govt got a free hit on the scousers and we all got told to buck our ideas up.

Boris Johnson overruled Government scientists who pressed for national lockdown measures such as stopping all household mixing and closing all pubs, it can be revealed.

Papers from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) show that the body called for an immediate introduction of national interventions, saying the failure to take such measures could result in "a very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences".

Liverpool became the only region placed into the toughest tier of a new three-tier lockdown system on Monday, with intense negotiations still going on in other areas on Monday night.

Mr Johnson stepped back from imposing harsh new lockdown measures on parts of the North after local leaders refused to accept them. Elected Mayors and council leaders believe they will be complicit in making businesses bankrupt if they agree to close pubs, gyms and leisure centres.

On Monday night, newly released Sage papers revealed that the Government's scientific advisers had called for national measures. In the documents, dated September 20 and 21, the scientists called for the immediate consideration of five national measures, saying none of them would be sufficient on their own.

"The shortlist of non-pharmaceutical interventions that should be considered for immediate introduction includes a circuit-breaker (short period of lockdown) to return incidence to low levels; advice to work from home for all those that can; banning all contact within the home with members of other households, except members of a support bubble; closure of all bars, restaurants cafes, indoor gyms and personal services (eg hairdressers); all university and college teaching to be online unless face-to-face teaching is absolutely essential," the papers said.

A related paper warned: "As over 90 per cent of the population remains susceptible, not acting now to reduce cases will result in a very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences in terms of direct Covid-related deaths and the ability of the health service to meet needs.

"A package of interventions will need to be adopted to prevent this exponential rise in cases. Single interventions are unlikely to be able to reduce incidence."

At the Downing Street briefing, Professor Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer and a member of Sage, said he was not confident that the "baseline" measures announced for tier three areas – those with the highest Covid infection rates – would be sufficient to reverse the rise of the virus.

It left Mr Johnson having to warn local leaders that if they do not agree to lockdown measures, they will be imposed by the Government "to protect public health". The Prime Minister also faces a battle to win over his own MPs, with dozens threatening to withhold support when the three tiers are put to separate votes in Parliament on Tuesday.

He hinted at better news to come for vulnerable people who have been forced to shield as he suggested the Government would change its approach because of the "mental distress and loneliness" it causes.

Unveiling the long-awaited three-tier system, he said it would simplify the complex and confusing rules imposed on different areas.

The lowest tier, for "medium" risk areas, will involve current restrictions of the "rule of six" and 10pm curfew for pubs and restaurants, while the middle tier, for "high" risk areas, will ban household mixing indoors. The top tier, for "very high" risk areas, will force pubs to close unless they can operate as restaurants, as well as banning household mixing indoors and outdoors and advising against travel to and from those areas.

Liverpool, which agreed to be placed into the top tier, will receive £14 million of extra funding for more testing to help the city through the next month, after which the lockdown will be reviewed.

But local leaders in other areas were resistant to the idea of agreeing to be put into tier three. Mr Johnson said talks were continuing with local leaders in the North-West, North-East and Yorkshire and the Humber about the approach and the support available if they moved into the third tier.

He said: "We want to take local authorities with us... if we if we can't get agreement, then clearly it is the duty of a national Government to take the necessary action to to protect public health."

Andy Street, the Tory Mayor of the West Midlands, said he was "disappointed" that his area was being placed into tier two, adding: "This is not something regional leaders supported, nor what I believed would be happening following extensive conversations over recent days."

He said the Government's approach was inconsistent, with the West Midlands having only a quarter of the case rate of Manchester – which has been placed in the same tier.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3029 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.