Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Respect the electorate or face the music.

This thread currently has 10,277 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
December 17, 2019, 10:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Dan
I mean there’s definitely an argument to be made that we should have honoured the result of the referendum. It was relatively close, and a reasonable leave scenario could have been agreed upon had the tories, and the ERG specifically been less intransigent. As someone who votes remain, the day after the referendum I was perfectly happy to accept leave based upon reasonable terms. But then the leave side became more extreme, demanding no deal, and Teresa May had to go along with it because she had such a small majority. In the months after the referendum the tories never sought consensus from the remain side, it was all on their terms. The extremity of the leave position drove people to support remain whereas I suspect many would have been happy to leave on non-ERG terms. Everyone became entrenched in their positions.

I suspect we could have left in 2016/17 if a leave scenario that appeased both sides had been sought.

Anyhow, what happens from here cannot ever be blamed on those of us who never wanted it and aren’t in charge of it. I guess we’ll see what happens. I dearly hope it’s a success, I highly doubt it will be, but either way my conscience is clear.

That doesn't pan out does is, I mean the EU elections and general election say otherwise.

The fact that remoaners pushed the bad mouthing and claims for a 2nd referendum I would say more than added fuel to the ERG's claims for a hard brexit a ying and yang if you like.

I will blame remoaners if it goes wrong because with a united front in EU negotiations from the start we would have faired far better and would have left with better terms. The fact that remoaners weakened the governments position with a divided house and forced a no deal off the table was disgraceful, and anti democratic.

When you have been to a restaurant and ordered the meal of the day, and the chef serves up dog excrement are you blame for their incompetence.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 100
Town Monkey
December 18, 2019, 8:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 6
That's an interesting analogy.  I'd say if I ordered the meal of the day and the chef served up dog excrement, not only would I not be to blame for their incompetence but I'd also have the right to send it back and refuse to eat it.

However, as I said on another thread, I have reconciled myself to the fact that we'll be leaving the EU, and I hope I'm wrong about the effects it will have on the country.  No one would be happier than me (that's probably a lie, I'm generally a right miserable swine) if it proves to be a success.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 100
Rodley Mariner
December 18, 2019, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
So if Brexit goes mammaries up it will be the fault of those who didn't want it? Don't think that excuse will wash with the majority Johnson has now - it is all in his hands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 18, 2019, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
So if Brexit goes mammaries up it will be the fault of those who didn't want it? Don't think that excuse will wash with the majority Johnson has now - it is all in his hands.

If Brexit goes well, the remain voters will also benefit.

It is a democratic decision we have reached, and like all democratic decisions there are some that support it, and some that are against it, but we move forward together as a country and make things work.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 100
Rodley Mariner
December 18, 2019, 11:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I hope it works and I hope Johnson sorts out fabulous trade deals and we thrive. If it doesn't work out I'm not willing to accept I'm responsible though having voted against it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 100
Marinerz93
December 19, 2019, 6:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I hope it works and I hope Johnson sorts out fabulous trade deals and we thrive. If it doesn't work out I'm not willing to accept I'm responsible though having voted against it.

It will all depend on what role you played as a remainer, someone who voted to remain = no issues and no blame, remoaner those who went crying to their MP and did what they could to raise the moaning to media levels = to blame if it goes wrong as their influence fueled weak willed MP's to try and undermine democracy.

If we had a united front to start with, losers consent and where Parliament was behind the Brexit team doing the initial negotiations we would have faired far better than we did. But no the remoaners gave the remoaning politicians the ammunition to undermine the government with the ultimate aim of undermining democracy. Well the remoaners got what they deserved in the end another huge defeat and, that's a hat trick, 2016, Euro elections and the ultimate peoples vote in the general election, now remoaners have to choke on Boris huge mandate, you reap what you sow.

However the fact remains the enemy within divided the house and put our negotiating on a weaker footing by forcing no deal off the table, whether you like it or not that put us at a massive disadvantage as we were basically a captive audience and they could serve up what ever they liked and they did, it was a punishment deal to stop others who have for some time looked at leaving the EU as it isn't working for them.

I like many others believe in our great country and having lived and worked around the world it really is a great country to live in.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 100
Marinerz93
December 19, 2019, 7:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Town Monkey
That's an interesting analogy.  I'd say if I ordered the meal of the day and the chef served up dog excrement, not only would I not be to blame for their incompetence but I'd also have the right to send it back and refuse to eat it.

However, as I said on another thread, I have reconciled myself to the fact that we'll be leaving the EU, and I hope I'm wrong about the effects it will have on the country.  No one would be happier than me (that's probably a lie, I'm generally a right miserable swine) if it proves to be a success.  

That's a fair reply, and your point of sending it back is a good one too, because if it doesn't work then at some point should it be a democratic will to rejoin, should the majority at some point want to rejoin the EU then I hope that the losers consent is observed, for the sake of a united front to enable a negotiated deal that benefits the UK.

I am under no illusion that once we are free from the EU that's it, if the Euro collapses as predicted the UK could be invited back under a better deal than it has now, this is a potential reality. I got fed up of politicians saying we can't do this or do that because of Brussels.

Private Message
Reply: 66 - 100
Stevie Cammack
December 19, 2019, 7:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +0 / -8
Approval: -815
Quoted from Marinerz93

It will all depend on what role you played as a remainer, someone who voted to remain = no issues and no blame, remoaner those who went crying to their MP and did what they could to raise the moaning to media levels = to blame if it goes wrong as their influence fueled weak willed MP's to try and undermine democracy.

If we had a united front to start with, losers consent and where Parliament was behind the Brexit team doing the initial negotiations we would have faired far better than we did. But no the remoaners gave the remoaning politicians the ammunition to undermine the government with the ultimate aim of undermining democracy. Well the remoaners got what they deserved in the end another huge defeat and, that's a hat trick, 2016, Euro elections and the ultimate peoples vote in the general election, now remoaners have to choke on Boris huge mandate, you reap what you sow.

However the fact remains the enemy within divided the house and put our negotiating on a weaker footing by forcing no deal off the table, whether you like it or not that put us at a massive disadvantage as we were basically a captive audience and they could serve up what ever they liked and they did, it was a punishment deal to stop others who have for some time looked at leaving the EU as it isn't working for them.

I like many others believe in our great country and having lived and worked around the world it really is a great country to live in.

Agreed.  I voted remain, but we are a democracy, something to be proud of and something to protect at all costs.

I didn't get my 'own way', but to cry about it afterwards is toddler behaviour IMO.  

Current 'Blip' length - 15 years and counting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 100
Marinerz93
December 20, 2019, 8:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stevie Cammack

Agreed.  I voted remain, but we are a democracy, something to be proud of and something to protect at all costs.

I didn't get my 'own way', but to cry about it afterwards is toddler behaviour IMO.  

Interesting Stevie, I thought you'd blocked me

Private Message
Reply: 68 - 100
Stevie Cammack
December 21, 2019, 9:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +0 / -8
Approval: -815
No, my life was empty without your amusing pictures.  15 years.

Current 'Blip' length - 15 years and counting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.