Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Respect the electorate or face the music.

This thread currently has 10,271 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
GYinScuntland
December 14, 2019, 8:20pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
A big haha fcuk you to every self serving MP from a leave majority constituency who went against Brexit and lost their seat!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 100
Marinerz93
December 14, 2019, 10:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Seems about right

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 100
grimsby pete
December 14, 2019, 11:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
All this talk about how many voted for a tory government

What was the turnout 69% ?

Well that means 31% was not bothered if the Tories won again.

If Boris improves the run down towns like Grimsby.

He might well get another 5years or more.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 100
Ipswin
December 15, 2019, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
All this talk about how many voted for a tory government

If Boris improves the run down towns like Grimsby.

He might well get another 5years or more.

The turnout was just over 67% of which 44% voted Tory meaning 29.5% of the national electorate supported the Tory party

The Tories will do intercourse all for Grimsby (or any of the other areas they are currently fawning over simply because they elected a Tory MP) Grimsby and the North East will be forgotten within 12 months.

I will be interested to see what Johnson does for those in Sunderland who lose their jobs at the Nissan plant after Brexit

But then we are not affected as we live in Sleepy Suffolk so intercourse everyone else eh?

Unfortunately I fear the Conservatives will get more than another 5 years, they will still be in power long after you and I are dead

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 100
LH
December 15, 2019, 11:08am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Boundary changes, changes to the Fixed Terms Parliament act, ambiguous pledges to change the relationship between the courts and Parliament all included in the Tory manifesto. Decades of Tory rule to come.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 15, 2019, 3:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from LH
Boundary changes, changes to the Fixed Terms Parliament act, ambiguous pledges to change the relationship between the courts and Parliament all included in the Tory manifesto. Decades of Tory rule to come.

From their point of view Labour had a wonderful opportunity.

Even a casual glance at the "Brexit map" of the UK showed huge swathes of the country who voted leave. Practically all their heartlands voted to leave the EU after a democratic decision of the public.

The obvious thing to do was to accept the result, insist on losers consent and get the backing of a lot of their natural voters; a sensible manifesto and perhaps, just perhaps the Corbyn factor would not have been so decisive.

Sadly for them, the Islington set thought it would be a hoot to move towards a second referendum. As soon as they did that, it was all over for them in Grimsby and places like it throughout the UK.

I have even heard Labour spokesmen say that although towns like Grimsby voted leave, the Labour voters didn't...Obviously not all Labour voters wanted to leave but a substantial number of their natural supporters would, so they were on the back foot before a ball was kicked as it were. The Islington set were blisfully unaware that although all Labour voters didn't vote leave, they certainly did not like the idea of a democratic vote being set aside in the guise of a second referendum.

So many mistakes, such a lack of self awareness, talking amongst themselves endlessly about every hard luck story going whilst the vast majority of the electorate just got on with their lives, with a non-patriotic leader who no one has ever seen smile, who was describing the UK in terms that most people did not recognise.

So yes, the Conservative party take the spoils, and will obviously do everything they can to skew the odds in their favour for subsequent elections, but to be honest, unless the Labour party comes to its senses, or its moderate MP's move en masse to a new party it will be at least two Conservative terms before they even get close to power.

Never mind, somebody will  be along with a graph in a minute that shows labour actually won.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 100
LH
December 15, 2019, 4:04pm

Personally feel they were backed into a corner and forced to go with the second referendum stance as they got trashed by the Lib Dems (as the remain party) and the BXP at the European elections and had to please everyone in the party in an election manifesto and in turn entice those from outside of it. They were six months too late changing stance. The fact that they had to defend Corbyn’s history for the duration of his tenure - true or not - didn’t help either.

The campaign was poor in Grimsby. We might have had shadow ministers come to town but I live on Scartho Top and barring a signed Melanie Onn poster to display in my front window and a couple of phone calls on election day (I’m a member) I didn’t see any of them once. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Scartho Top polling station is one of the busiest in Town on polling day - that feels an oversight. Compare the Labour effort to the Conservatives and they were out and about fairly regularly.

The party needs an overhaul. I’m not sure seeing Eddie Izzard campaigning in lipstick and a pink beret around London appeals to the ex-miners, fishermen and dockers up north. The Labour vote matters more outside of London than in it in a GE. If they mess that up again with a leftie leader again they’re done and a new centre left party needs forming that appeals to the wider nation or get trounced again for decades to come.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 15, 2019, 4:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH
Personally feel they were backed into a corner and forced to go with the second referendum stance as they got trashed by the Lib Dems (as the remain party) and the BXP at the European elections and had to please everyone in the party in an election manifesto and in turn entice those from outside of it. They were six months too late changing stance. The fact that they had to defend Corbyn’s history for the duration of his tenure - true or not - didn’t help either.

The campaign was poor in Grimsby. We might have had shadow ministers come to town but I live on Scartho Top and barring a signed Melanie Onn poster to display in my front window and a couple of phone calls on election day (I’m a member) I didn’t see any of them once. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Scartho Top polling station is one of the busiest in Town on polling day - that feels an oversight. Compare the Labour effort to the Conservatives and they were out and about fairly regularly.

The party needs an overhaul. I’m not sure seeing Eddie Izzard campaigning in lipstick and a pink beret around London appeals to the ex-miners, fishermen and dockers up north. The Labour vote matters more outside of London than in it in a GE. If they mess that up again with a leftie leader again they’re done and a new centre left party needs forming that appeals to the wider nation.

They were never going to retain Grimsby without accepting the referendum result, it is as simple as that.

As somebody said this morning - "we have lost 59? heartland seats, but not to worry we have gained Putney."

They will elect another Corbynite as the membership hold sway, assuming somebody like Long-Bailey is nominated. I don't support Labour, have never voted labour, but even I am at a loss at how ludicrous they have become.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 100
LH
December 15, 2019, 4:39pm

They’ve had a lot of people join since Corbyn took over - like me - to vote for the new leader once the chance arises. There’s a lot of anger at the Momentum lot from moderates about. The problem is now that we’re left with a right shower to choose from (accept it wasn’t a fantastic bunch as far as outsiders are concerned to begin with).
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 15, 2019, 5:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH
They’ve had a lot of people join since Corbyn took over - like me - to vote for the new leader once the chance arises. There’s a lot of anger at the Momentum lot from moderates about. The problem is now that we’re left with a right shower to choose from (accept it wasn’t a fantastic bunch as far as outsiders are concerned to begin with).

That is fair enough - we need a functioning opposition who are able to form a government when the need arises so I wish you luck.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.