Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Respect the electorate or face the music.

This thread currently has 10,086 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
December 16, 2019, 5:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Dan
Jess Phillips, or if he chooses to stand Dan Jarvis.

Dan Jarvis you say?

You might have got away with it, had you not been called, er, Dan.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 100
FishOutOfWater
December 16, 2019, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Grimbiggs
So who would you choose as your leader then, I would have thought Lisa Nandy would be the favourite, or what about Yvette Cooper?....any thoughts?

I was amazed that Yvette Cooper managed to hold on to her seat

I'd have thought she was one of the Labour MPs who was nailed on to lose out, given she was one of the main protaganists for remaining/second vote while her constituency was in favour of leaving the EU
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 100
Grimbiggs
December 16, 2019, 9:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I was amazed that Yvette Cooper managed to hold on to her seat

I'd have thought she was one of the Labour MPs who was nailed on to lose out, given she was one of the main protaganists for remaining/second vote while her constituency was in favour of leaving the EU

She was probably lucky in the fact that she's always had 15,000 majorities, and together with Ed Miliband only just hung on. I'm surprised that she is not in the leadership running though, because with her experience, even though she was a remainer, I would have thought the party needs to move back to the centre now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 100
Ipswin
December 17, 2019, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Returning to the title of this thread, unfortunately Johnson does not have to respect the electorate at all (as he would have had to do had it been a hung parliament) his majority is so great that he can do exactly as he wants for five years and only has to start making wild promises again when the next election is due and assuming the Labour party will probably (sadly) still be unelectable, a short programme of total bullshit will probably get the Tories in again

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 17, 2019, 11:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin
Returning to the title of this thread, unfortunately Johnson does not have to respect the electorate at all (as he would have had to do had it been a hung parliament) his majority is so great that he can do exactly as he wants for five years and only has to start making wild promises again when the next election is due and assuming the Labour party will probably (sadly) still be unelectable, a short programme of total bullshit will probably get the Tories in again

That makes no sense whatsoever. The thread was about the refusal to to accept a democratic majority to leave the EU, which would obviously result in a landslide for the party who wanted to implement that result.

Of course the Conservative party can now do pretty much as they like as they have received a mandate from the voting public.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 100
Ipswin
December 17, 2019, 4:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

Of course the Conservative party can now do pretty much as they like as they have received a mandate from the voting public.

So, like I said, he can intercourse everybody up without fear for the next 5 years

Its started already with todays announcement that it will be written into law that there will be no extension after 2020, the lying twit is clearly determined to go for a 'no deal' after all and however much his minions all appeared to support leaving in order to get elected I don't believe they all want what would be a suicidal departure without a deal. Even the bloody Tories can't be two faced enough to claim they are doing what their constituents want by leaving and then knowingly screw them by allowing a no deal exit, or can they?

Lets see how the residents of the North East feel when even more of them are out of work

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 100
Marinerz93
December 17, 2019, 5:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Ipswin

So, like I said, he can intercourse everybody up without fear for the next 5 years

Its started already with todays announcement that it will be written into law that there will be no extension after 2020, the lying twit is clearly determined to go for a 'no deal' after all and however much his minions all appeared to support leaving in order to get elected I don't believe they all want what would be a suicidal departure without a deal. Even the bloody Tories can't be two faced enough to claim they are doing what their constituents want by leaving and then knowingly screw them by allowing a no deal exit, or can they?

Lets see how the residents of the North East feel when even more of them are out of work

The moral of the story is that the losing side should have honoured the 2016 result and consented defeat, instead of undermining and putting what ever blockers they could in the way to prevent Brexit. For what comes, remoaners are to blame, suck it up losers it's all your fault.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 100
Dan
December 17, 2019, 5:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I mean there’s definitely an argument to be made that we should have honoured the result of the referendum. It was relatively close, and a reasonable leave scenario could have been agreed upon had the tories, and the ERG specifically been less intransigent. As someone who votes remain, the day after the referendum I was perfectly happy to accept leave based upon reasonable terms. But then the leave side became more extreme, demanding no deal, and Teresa May had to go along with it because she had such a small majority. In the months after the referendum the tories never sought consensus from the remain side, it was all on their terms. The extremity of the leave position drove people to support remain whereas I suspect many would have been happy to leave on non-ERG terms. Everyone became entrenched in their positions.

I suspect we could have left in 2016/17 if a leave scenario that appeased both sides had been sought.

Anyhow, what happens from here cannot ever be blamed on those of us who never wanted it and aren’t in charge of it. I guess we’ll see what happens. I dearly hope it’s a success, I highly doubt it will be, but either way my conscience is clear.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 17, 2019, 8:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Dan
I mean there’s definitely an argument to be made that we should have honoured the result of the referendum. It was relatively close, and a reasonable leave scenario could have been agreed upon had the tories, and the ERG specifically been less intransigent. As someone who votes remain, the day after the referendum I was perfectly happy to accept leave based upon reasonable terms. But then the leave side became more extreme, demanding no deal, and Teresa May had to go along with it because she had such a small majority. In the months after the referendum the tories never sought consensus from the remain side, it was all on their terms. The extremity of the leave position drove people to support remain whereas I suspect many would have been happy to leave on non-ERG terms. Everyone became entrenched in their positions.

I suspect we could have left in 2016/17 if a leave scenario that appeased both sides had been sought.

Anyhow, what happens from here cannot ever be blamed on those of us who never wanted it and aren’t in charge of it. I guess we’ll see what happens. I dearly hope it’s a success, I highly doubt it will be, but either way my conscience is clear.

I don't think it was as close as you are making out, Mr Jarvis - can I call you Dan?

Seriously though, if you look at a map of the UK that voted leave or remain, two-thirds of constituency areas voted to leave, often by huge margins.

1.3 million more people voted to leave.

Remain areas were mainly, though not exclusively, limited to big cities, and university towns and the numbers from London skewed the figures a bit. That is fair enough in a referendum in which all votes counted, but it is worth mentioning.

In a two-horse race, the status quo option was always going to attract big numbers, but Leave outvoted them all.

The rules were set from the start; any leave majority meant we would leave, and any remain majority meant we would remain under our current terms - for now at least. The definition of leave is in the dictionary; it is not part leave, leave after having another go etc.

Its all water under the bridge now, as we at last implement the decision made by a majority of British people who voted in the referendum.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 100
Dan
December 17, 2019, 10:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I’m happy to move my position from conscientious objector to laughing observer.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.