Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Youngy and 18 Guests

Respect the electorate or face the music.

This thread currently has 10,275 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
December 26, 2019, 11:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bawmariner

What have you won? What is Brexit going to deliver? You right I have lost. I've lost the EHIC which meant my girlfriend could have an operation on her appendix in Estonia for 5 euros. I've lost the right to work in the EU without a visa. I've lost free internet when I'm abroad. I'm not particularly happy about that.

Say what you like. I personally will be supporting this country rejoining the EU as will a lot of people I know. The majority of Brexit voters will have died off in 20/30 years so by that point we'll be free to rejoin all be it on worse terms.

Why can't your girlfriend get an operation on her appendix FREE on the NHS? Why is geting a Visa such a big deal? I am sure we are all gutted that you have lost free internet whilst abroad, unless of course we negotiate otherwise.

For all the people "you know", there will be millions more ensuring that we remain a free and independent and sovereign country long after the "majority of Brexit voters have died" which incidentally is a distasteful thing to say.

Any decision we make as a country is marginal, in the sense that none of us know how exactly it will pan out. That is why we resort to a democratic decision to decide the direction we need to take. If, and it is a very big if, you can ever get a majority to join the  beurocratic nonsense that is the EU, on worse terms than today,including joining the Euro, being paid up members of a federal Europe with it own tax and spend agenda and unlimited free movement of people then you will have earned it.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 100
Bawmariner
December 27, 2019, 1:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1

Why can't your girlfriend get an operation on her appendix FREE on the NHS? Why is geting a Visa such a big deal? I am sure we are all gutted that you have lost free internet whilst abroad, unless of course we negotiate otherwise.

For all the people "you know", there will be millions more ensuring that we remain a free and independent and sovereign country long after the "majority of Brexit voters have died" which incidentally is a distasteful thing to say.

Any decision we make as a country is marginal, in the sense that none of us know how exactly it will pan out. That is why we resort to a democratic decision to decide the direction we need to take. If, and it is a very big if, you can ever get a majority to join the  beurocratic nonsense that is the EU, on worse terms than today,including joining the Euro, being paid up members of a federal Europe with it own tax and spend agenda and unlimited free movement of people then you will have earned it.

Last time I looked the NHS didn't operate in Estonia. She was taken ill while we were there. I honestly don't think I could have afforded to pay for an operation outright so if we hadn't had the EHIC i would have had to made a lot of calls to family members at 3 in the morning asking for money. I can get a visa but its added time and money over the current situation. How is that a good thing. I highly doubt roaming charges will be top priority in the 11 months we have to negotiate a free trade deal. Trade deals usually take years so what we end up with in a year is likely to the bare minimum to keep things moving.

Honestly brexiters have serious issues with facts and statistics. Most brexit voters are over 60. Nearly all of them will die in the next 30 years. That's not an offensive thing to say its a matter of fact. Stop being a snowflake.

I can think of many arguments for joining the Schegen Area and allowing the EU to control certain taxes. If the UK joined Schegen areas such as Calais and Lille would become commuter areas for London helping to alleviate housing shortage in the South East. If the EU controlled income taxes we wouldn't see countries like the UK and Ireland constantly cutting income taxes to attract companies. Instead countries would have to improve education and infrastructure to attract business. Selling this to an already pro EU generation shouldn't be hard.

I still haven't really heard about the benefits of brexit. I don't really buy the whole more power to Westmister is a good thing. It makes it a lot easier for the more extreme governments (e.g. Corbyn or parts of the Tory party) to make dangerous changes it to the country which is forbidden under EU law such as nationalising everything or seriously curtailing workers rights.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 100
Marinerz93
December 27, 2019, 1:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from Bawmariner

What have you won? What is Brexit going to deliver? You right I have lost. I've lost the EHIC which meant my girlfriend could have an operation on her appendix in Estonia for 5 euros. I've lost the right to work in the EU without a visa. I've lost free internet when I'm abroad. I'm not particularly happy about that.

Say what you like. I personally will be supporting this country rejoining the EU as will a lot of people I know. The majority of Brexit voters will have died off in 20/30 years so by that point we'll be free to rejoin all be it on worse terms.

Me, me, me, what about the thousands of young girls in this country who miss school because of period poverty because your glorious EU put tax on sanitary towels as a luxury item.

Were have you worked in the EU?

If you can afford to go to Estonia, which would include food, transport and accommodation costs you can afford private health care in the UK.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 100
Bawmariner
December 27, 2019, 10:40am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Me, me, me, what about the thousands of young girls in this country who miss school because of period poverty because your glorious EU put tax on sanitary towels as a luxury item.

Were have you worked in the EU?

If you can afford to go to Estonia, which would include food, transport and accommodation costs you can afford private health care in the UK.

Good old virtue signalling. Don't try and make out that brexit is some sort of altruistic process. The tampon tax is 5% so probably around 30p a month at the most. The UK government could have quite easily have given out free sanitary items as the Scotish government did. The US still has the tax in many states. Honestly, if we had removed the tax, the EU would have done nothing anyway. The EU are planning to abolish it in 2022.

I worked in France.

It was an emergency operation as stated above. It was a very stressful time and the EHIC made it a little less stressful. The EHIC also reduces insurance costs for those we serious ongoing medical problems. Its quite conceivable that these people will not be able to travel abroad if the EHIC is lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 27, 2019, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bawmariner

Last time I looked the NHS didn't operate in Estonia. She was taken ill while we were there. I honestly don't think I could have afforded to pay for an operation outright so if we hadn't had the EHIC i would have had to made a lot of calls to family members at 3 in the morning asking for money. I can get a visa but its added time and money over the current situation. How is that a good thing. I highly doubt roaming charges will be top priority in the 11 months we have to negotiate a free trade deal. Trade deals usually take years so what we end up with in a year is likely to the bare minimum to keep things moving.

Honestly brexiters have serious issues with facts and statistics. Most brexit voters are over 60. Nearly all of them will die in the next 30 years. That's not an offensive thing to say its a matter of fact. Stop being a snowflake.

I can think of many arguments for joining the Schegen Area and allowing the EU to control certain taxes. If the UK joined Schegen areas such as Calais and Lille would become commuter areas for London helping to alleviate housing shortage in the South East. If the EU controlled income taxes we wouldn't see countries like the UK and Ireland constantly cutting income taxes to attract companies. Instead countries would have to improve education and infrastructure to attract business. Selling this to an already pro EU generation shouldn't be hard.

I still haven't really heard about the benefits of brexit. I don't really buy the whole more power to Westmister is a good thing. It makes it a lot easier for the more extreme governments (e.g. Corbyn or parts of the Tory party) to make dangerous changes it to the country which is forbidden under EU law such as nationalising everything or seriously curtailing workers rights.

You just come across as very selfish.

Shall we put the majority verdict of the voting public, 33 million or so who took part, aside just because you had an emergency in Estonia? It does not seem to matter to you that we all have an equal vote if we are 18 or 90.

Anyway its all decided now. If you see the UK rejoin the EU in your lifetime I would be very very surprised.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 100
Marinerz93
December 27, 2019, 7:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from Bawmariner

Good old virtue signalling. Don't try and make out that brexit is some sort of altruistic process. The tampon tax is 5% so probably around 30p a month at the most. The UK government could have quite easily have given out free sanitary items as the Scotish government did. The US still has the tax in many states. Honestly, if we had removed the tax, the EU would have done nothing anyway. The EU are planning to abolish it in 2022.

I worked in France.

It was an emergency operation as stated above. It was a very stressful time and the EHIC made it a little less stressful. The EHIC also reduces insurance costs for those we serious ongoing medical problems. Its quite conceivable that these people will not be able to travel abroad if the EHIC is lost.

The UK has the lowest EU tax on sanitary towels/pads and your smirking of costing 30p a month doesn't wash with the boxes that are placed in schools in our area for local girls to go to, and if if wasn't for these boxes with free tampons then hundreds of girls in our area wouldn't be going to school. The costs depends on how heavy the period is and one pad doesn't last the day, they could use up to 7 or 8 pads a day. As you see the costs then spiral. The Scottish government give out free prescriptions, but could the NHS afford it in these times, no.

There will be visa's like before Brexit, so you'll be still able to work in which ever country you want.

My wife needed an emergency operation just before Christmas, lucky I have private health care through my company which I pay for, she was seen in no time, no need to go over seas. As Nige said if you can afford it you should take out private health care and that way there will be less stress on the NHS.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 100
Ipswin
December 27, 2019, 7:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Bawmariner

. The EHIC also reduces insurance costs for those we serious ongoing medical problems. Its quite conceivable that these people will not be able to travel abroad if the EHIC is lost.

The disappearance of the EHIC system will be a disaster for me and will end my ability to travel to Europe. I have bowel, liver and lung cancer but I am fit to travel (to Europe anyway) howeverbut despite all the adverts to the contrary getting travel insurance once you declare a cancer has spread is either totally impossible or prohibitively expensive (£700 for a 5 day trip to the Netherlands!)

Amazingly the EHIC card covers pre-existing conditions although my condition is highly unlikely to result in any emergency whilst on a 5 day trip - I am more likely to fall into a canal drunk or break a leg than anything!

I just hope that some reciprocal arrangement can be agreed although as that lying twit Johnson is hell bent on a total break we will almost certainly see the demise of the EHIC system

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 100
Bawmariner
December 28, 2019, 12:58am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

The UK has the lowest EU tax on sanitary towels/pads and your smirking of costing 30p a month doesn't wash with the boxes that are placed in schools in our area for local girls to go to, and if if wasn't for these boxes with free tampons then hundreds of girls in our area wouldn't be going to school. The costs depends on how heavy the period is and one pad doesn't last the day, they could use up to 7 or 8 pads a day. As you see the costs then spiral. The Scottish government give out free prescriptions, but could the NHS afford it in these times, no.

There will be visa's like before Brexit, so you'll be still able to work in which ever country you want.

My wife needed an emergency operation just before Christmas, lucky I have private health care through my company which I pay for, she was seen in no time, no need to go over seas. As Nige said if you can afford it you should take out private health care and that way there will be less stress on the NHS.

I'm aware of the cost of sanitary products and the differences between usage. At the end of the day its likely that a pack of 30 pads will be sufficient for a full period. This costs around £3 for a mid range pack but could cost as low as 50p. The tax is not the issue. It doesn't help but the cost of the tampon itself is the main issue. The government can tackle this but hasn't. The NHS could afford free perscriptions if tax levels were sufficiently high but they aren't because of years of tory cuts to the tax rate.

There were no visas before brexit. The UK won't accept freedom of movement therefore it will be harder to work within the EU. There is no argument against this it is a fact.

Fair enough but if you refer to my original post you'll see my partner was taken ill while in Estonia on holiday.  No amount of forward planning could have prevented this. The EHIC helped, had we not had it we'd be facing a bill of £1000's which would be covered by insurance but would have to be paid up front by myself. The loss of the EHIC is bad for any UK citizen that travels to the EU.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 100
Bawmariner
December 28, 2019, 1:08am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

The disappearance of the EHIC system will be a disaster for me and will end my ability to travel to Europe. I have bowel, liver and lung cancer but I am fit to travel (to Europe anyway) howeverbut despite all the adverts to the contrary getting travel insurance once you declare a cancer has spread is either totally impossible or prohibitively expensive (£700 for a 5 day trip to the Netherlands!)

Amazingly the EHIC card covers pre-existing conditions although my condition is highly unlikely to result in any emergency whilst on a 5 day trip - I am more likely to fall into a canal drunk or break a leg than anything!

I just hope that some reciprocal arrangement can be agreed although as that lying twit Johnson is hell bent on a total break we will almost certainly see the demise of the EHIC system

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you don't seem to be the only person who will suffer. Fortunately for me my insurance costs are low as I'm in my 20's but I honestly never knew how helpful the EHIC was until I experienced a medical emergency abroad. Its one of those things that very few people understand the benefits of.

I agree as much as much as I hope the EHIC stays, it is probably very far down the long list of negotiating points. We have 11 months of negotiation a
according to Johnson. I imagine Johnson will prioritise a trade deal and the health agreements will happen years after the transition, if at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 100
Ipswin
December 28, 2019, 8:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I read somehwere that certain countries may well agree to continue to recognise the EHIC system (if we do the same of course so identifying a persons nationality as they arrive at the hospital will be yet another task for the NHS)
Spain has been mentioned presumably because of tourism and ex-pats, trouble is I don't want to go to Spain Lets hope the Netherlands follows suit!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.