Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Respect the electorate or face the music.

This thread currently has 10,186 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
December 13, 2019, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mikoo
Question for you guys who used to vote labour but didn’t this time. Once we leave the EU and a more centrist leader comes in for the next election, will it be back to labour? Or have you converted to the Tories for the foreseeable?

There needs to be a change in Labour leadership, I've never seen Labour such disarray.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 100
Maringer
December 13, 2019, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
An in/out referendum which leads to half of the electorate being ignored was a terrible idea in the first place, especially what 'out' actually meant was never discussed beforehand. This is still the case.

Also, as has been noted many times before, we're already past the time when the remain vote would be likely to be higher, simply due to the change in demographics i.e. leavers dying in greater numbers than remainers reaching voting age.

Ashcroft's polls are useful once again:

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/.....tion-post-vote-poll/

Look at the age weighting of the Tory vote:

Remarkable how the pensioners, who will be with us for less time than the young, are those deciding what occurs. No doubt, the young will have had a much lower turnout once again, so I suppose they only have themselves to blame. Of course, if Brexit is a disaster as remains possible (no pun intended), it is pretty obvious who will be due the blame.

Interesting times ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 100
arryarryarry
December 13, 2019, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer
An in/out referendum which leads to half of the electorate being ignored was a terrible idea in the first place, especially what 'out' actually meant was never discussed beforehand. This is still the case.

Also, as has been noted many times before, we're already past the time when the remain vote would be likely to be higher, simply due to the change in demographics i.e. leavers dying in greater numbers than remainers reaching voting age.

Remarkable how the pensioners, who will be with us for less time than the young, are those deciding what occurs. No doubt, the young will have had a much lower turnout once again, so I suppose they only have themselves to blame. Of course, if Brexit is a disaster as remains possible (no pun intended), it is pretty obvious who will be due the blame.

Interesting times ahead.

So what are you saying that people over a certain age should not be allowed to vote if in the highly unlikely event there was another referendum?

PS I get this awful vision of you giving it whatfor with your right hand* as you find another image to post.

*unless you are left handed.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 100
Marinerz93
December 13, 2019, 11:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
The nuts and bolts of what leaving the EU would look like was down to Parliament, the question on the paper was stay in the EU or Leave. If the EU wanted us to stay they would have fought to keep us instead they looked to punish us and aided with the MP's who went against the fact that they all said they would implement the choice is why we ended up with a deal less favorable than we did for the following reasons.

1. If the EU didn't view the UK as a cash cow but a valued partner then we would be happy with a deal that suits both sides, not the case though is it.

2. No deal was forced off the table, how stupid do you have to be to go into negotiations without the ability to say, you know what I don't like this I'll walk away. All that resulted in was strengthening the hand of the EU, if you can't see that then maybe you should consider not voting at all next time.

3. Self serving MP's working against the government causing the government to look for a larger majority that ultimately back fired because of the fact remoaners would not accept the fact they didn't get what they wanted.

4. The claims of people didn't know what they were voting for is another ignorant claim as people knew that leaving the EU, immigrants outside of the EU couldn't come into the UK unchecked, unrestricted through travelling through Europe, especially after Merkel opened the door and come on in. We would take back the sovereignty that was given away without our consent, the generation that signed up to the common market didn't sign up to a political union, that was done by successive governments otherwise it would just be the common market and that would suit our needs and no need to change.

4. The problem with the EU is that it has plans for a federal state of Europe. Obviously that means more power to the EU commission and less control for Parliament.

Bleating on about how old people will decide the future for the young, get a grip. Pensioners by their very age, have lived through pre common market, common market, political union. If their view is we are better outside the EU then you should listen. If the young didn't turn out to vote like 2016, don't lay the blame at the pensioners for the faults of the young and less knowledgeable about life in the UK over the last 50 years.

Overall the people to blame are remoaners for trying to derail the will of the majority and sabotaging the UK's negotiating position. It was the remoaners who started the bad mouthing and causing the split the nations opinions on Brexit. Had remoaners accepted the defeat and let the government go to the EU with the majority and no deal on the table they would have got something better than we got and subsequently negotiated. A divided nation is easy to defeat, especially when there is an enemy within helping the other side.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 100
codcheeky
December 14, 2019, 12:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Maringer

Interesting times ahead.

As someone from the leftish side of politics who voted leave you fail to understand the basic things. As a country we voted leave,saying people didn’t know what they voted for us patronising.
That battle was lost 3 years ago , the country needs Corbyns policies in my opinion but I many wanted to fight a lost battle again. Still embarrassed my hometown is now Tory even though I hope it works out for everyone there, when people think a lying clown is the best option it really is time to despair,
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 100
Marinerz93
December 14, 2019, 12:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

As someone from the leftish side of politics who voted leave you fail to understand the basic things. As a country we voted leave,saying people didn’t know what they voted for us patronising.
That battle was lost 3 years ago , the country needs Corbyns policies in my opinion but I many wanted to fight a lost battle again. Still embarrassed my hometown is now Tory even though I hope it works out for everyone there, when people think a lying clown is the best option it really is time to despair,

It's sad day for British politics when the choice is between a lying clown and terrorist sympathizer.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 100
James77
December 14, 2019, 6:27am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +53
Quoted from Mikoo
Question for you guys who used to vote labour but didn’t this time. Once we leave the EU and a more centrist leader comes in for the next election, will it be back to labour? Or have you converted to the Tories for the foreseeable?

Never mind 'centrist' (whatever that means), someone vaguely competent would be enough for most. The two major parties ran dreadful campaigns, ducking scrutiny, pathetically claiming they are the victims of media bias (like Trump), making endless fantasy spending promises they can't keep, all cheered on by an irrelevant bunch of toxic, needy, attention-seeking social media morons. Who wants to vote for all that? I didn't.

I guess the answer to your question will depend on whether under Corbyn's replacement the Labour Party continues to be run by the same clique of North London-based, public school-educated Stalinists and assorted Marxists who claim to speak for the working class but whose policies appear more focused on middle class giveaways. If it is, it will slide further into irrelevance, eating itself.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 14, 2019, 12:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Marinerz93
The nuts and bolts of what leaving the EU would look like was down to Parliament, the question on the paper was stay in the EU or Leave. If the EU wanted us to stay they would have fought to keep us instead they looked to punish us and aided with the MP's who went against the fact that they all said they would implement the choice is why we ended up with a deal less favorable than we did for the following reasons.

1. If the EU didn't view the UK as a cash cow but a valued partner then we would be happy with a deal that suits both sides, not the case though is it.

2. No deal was forced off the table, how stupid do you have to be to go into negotiations without the ability to say, you know what I don't like this I'll walk away. All that resulted in was strengthening the hand of the EU, if you can't see that then maybe you should consider not voting at all next time.

3. Self serving MP's working against the government causing the government to look for a larger majority that ultimately back fired because of the fact remoaners would not accept the fact they didn't get what they wanted.

4. The claims of people didn't know what they were voting for is another ignorant claim as people knew that leaving the EU, immigrants outside of the EU couldn't come into the UK unchecked, unrestricted through travelling through Europe, especially after Merkel opened the door and come on in. We would take back the sovereignty that was given away without our consent, the generation that signed up to the common market didn't sign up to a political union, that was done by successive governments otherwise it would just be the common market and that would suit our needs and no need to change.

4. The problem with the EU is that it has plans for a federal state of Europe. Obviously that means more power to the EU commission and less control for Parliament.

Bleating on about how old people will decide the future for the young, get a grip. Pensioners by their very age, have lived through pre common market, common market, political union. If their view is we are better outside the EU then you should listen. If the young didn't turn out to vote like 2016, don't lay the blame at the pensioners for the faults of the young and less knowledgeable about life in the UK over the last 50 years.

Overall the people to blame are remoaners for trying to derail the will of the majority and sabotaging the UK's negotiating position. It was the remoaners who started the bad mouthing and causing the split the nations opinions on Brexit. Had remoaners accepted the defeat and let the government go to the EU with the majority and no deal on the table they would have got something better than we got and subsequently negotiated. A divided nation is easy to defeat, especially when there is an enemy within helping the other side.

I agree with all of that, particularly your last paragraph.

Even Michael Heseltine (like the last Japnese soldier in the jungle) has at last conceded defeat, and the will of the people must be respected.

As the realisation of defeat becomes clearer and even die hard remainers accept the new norm, watch things change. The EU suddenly do not hold all the cards; they (the EU) have accepted that there is no chance of revoking article 50 and although tough, negotiations will be much more cordial.

As you point out, all this is what should have happened once the result was known. Unless we have losers consent, then we have no democracy.

For the record, I am not advocating that remain supporters have to stop campaigning, if that is what they wish. Once we have formally left the EU they can campaign for us to rejoin, again if they think so strongly about it, just as leave supporters campaigned (in some cases for decades) to leave.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
December 14, 2019, 12:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from codcheeky

I wouldn't be embarrassed, it is what the people voted for. What is embarrassing is that after nearly eight decades of a Grimsby Labour MP, the town is still the "go-to" place for the media when running a story about left-behind towns.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 100
Roast Em Bobby
December 14, 2019, 1:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
I find it laughable that you think the number of immigrants is going to reduce. There will be a lot of unhappy Brexiteers in 5 years time when they realise they’ve got just as many immigrants but just from different countries.

The simple fact is that the country needs immigrants and they are massively beneficial to the economy - contributing a surplus of 15 billion a year in taxes. The amount of immigrants has not been a problem, it has been the lack of investment of the money generated in increased infrastructure and public services to cope with the increase in population by the party you’ve just voted back in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Respect the electorate or face the music.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.