Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 224 Guests

General Election Predictions

This thread currently has 30,384 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
February 16, 2015, 12:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I've got a horrible feeling we'll end up with a Tory majority. I think the average man in the street still swallows the narrative of profligate Labour chucking money around and the Tories taking the difficult decisions to get things back on an even keel. I think a high percentage of floating voters will, with that in mind, decide voting Tory is the 'safe' option. I also think a lot of those indicating a instinct to vote for UKIP will actually go Tory when it comes to a General Election. Labour are also going to do pretty abysmally in Scotland. For these reasons I think the Tory vote will actually be greater than opinion polls are suggesting and I think they'll have a small majority. God help us all then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 219
mariner91
February 16, 2015, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,637
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I've got a horrible feeling we'll end up with a Tory majority. I think the average man in the street still swallows the narrative of profligate Labour chucking money around and the Tories taking the difficult decisions to get things back on an even keel. I think a high percentage of floating voters will, with that in mind, decide voting Tory is the 'safe' option. I also think a lot of those indicating a instinct to vote for UKIP will actually go Tory when it comes to a General Election. Labour are also going to do pretty abysmally in Scotland. For these reasons I think the Tory vote will actually be greater than opinion polls are suggesting and I think they'll have a small majority. God help us all then.

Definitely. One of my friends works in the City doing some sort of financial stuff (all sounds boring to me) and he actually believes that the Tories have a better plan for the economy despite the obvious that cuts during a recession go against one of the most basic rules in economics. It's worrying that someone who should have some knowledge of economics believes their rhetoric because if he does, as you said, what does the average man on the street think? Probably what the Tories tell them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 219
Maringer
February 16, 2015, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Bear in mind that the Tories policies tend to ensure that more money is heading to workers in the City, so it would probably be in your friend's best interests to have another Conservative government. Screw the rest of us, of course.

Don't rule out the influence of groupthink, either. Working in the City, your friend is almost certainly surrounded by public schoolboys whose families will never have voted anything but Conservative. His bosses are quite possibly donors to the Tories, he probably reads the FT, whose leader writers have been bizarrely pro-Tory in recent years (and damn the actual underlying economics). Surrounded by all this, he probably just believes what everyone else around him thinks and facts just don't matter.

See if you can get him to read that piece in the LRB which I linked to. Would be amusing to hear what he thought about that run-down of economic incompetence by Osborne & co.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 219
jock dock tower
February 17, 2015, 10:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
As someone living in Scotland, here's my take on things up here as a committed and passionate believer in Independence.

The SNP will not get anything like 40 seats that some of the media are predicting and it is much more likely that they will get between 20 and 25 seats. Voting during the Independence campaign rose to over 85%, but that won't happen again as Westminster is seen by many as a non issue up here now that the argument for Independence as defeated.

There is still a sizeable rump vote though that will vote SNP, who have probably never voted for them before, because although Independence was defeated, there is much more chance of resurrecting the argument if the SNP can hold the balance of power somehow, and use their leverage for much greater autonomy - to such a point that a break up of the UK would become inevitable. Look at Labour over the last couple of weeks though, and you can see changes in the way they are arguing certain things, especially on big business and tax evasion, and that is down to the fact that they have to portray themselves as a much more left of centre party than they really are in order to try and fight off the very genuine SNP threat.

Nobody will win a majority, and even with the tax evasion arguments going on now being an absolute gift for Labour, the public will still somehow believe that the Tories with their free market determines everything approach makes them more competent with handling the economy. Why is that? Because the right wing press tell them so, and they fall hook, line and sinker for it.

Will I be voting SNP? No, I still have it inherent in my nature that I have to use my vote to try and ensure that I don't end up with a Tory MP. The SNP are light years behind in terms of the percentage vote at the last election so I'll be voting Labour - not because I think they're capable of real change, but the alternative of a Tory government is simply too scary to comtemplate. The SNP will eventually have major internal strife, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind about that, it's how long they can keep the reins on those who have infiltrated the party and see it as a vehicle for revolutionary change, believe it or not. When yo get the likes of Tommy Sheridan and others advocating voting for them, rather than their own far left groupings, there will be a price to pay in the future. I just hope it's after we get a much better deal in Scotland than the absolute b0ll0cks we've been given with the Vow - which ain't worth tuppence.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 219
ginnywings
February 17, 2015, 6:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Politics and GTFC go hand in hand for me. I used to care passionately about both and now i don't. The best period for me was the late nineties, Labour in power, plenty of work and plenty of money in my pocket. Town playing fantastic football. It's all been downhill ever since.  

Christ, even our major shareholder is a Tory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 219
barralad
February 18, 2015, 9:24am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings
Politics and GTFC go hand in hand for me. I used to care passionately about both and now i don't. The best period for me was the late nineties, Labour in power, plenty of work and plenty of money in my pocket. Town playing fantastic football. It's all been downhill ever since.  

Christ, even our major shareholder is a Tory.

Spot on......Although 1945-50 sounded good!! (And Town were in the First Division for some of it)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 219
grimsby pete
February 18, 2015, 10:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from barralad

Spot on......Although 1945-50 sounded good!! (And Town were in the First Division for some of it)

AND

Grimsby pete was born.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 219
Nelly GTFC
February 22, 2015, 10:17pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,736
Gold Stars: 31
92, 97, 2001, 2005, 2010 for Grimsby >> [url=http://www.theguardian.com/politics/constituency/979/great-grimsby]http://www.theguardian.com/politics/constituency/979/great-grimsby[/url]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 219
Maringer
February 23, 2015, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I notice that Mitchell has been running his mouth off again and putting his foot in it with some really stupid comments:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31574817

Just shows how far past it he is (and has been for some years, IMO). I bet the Labour candidate in Grimsby can't believe that he seems to be actively making it more difficult for her to win!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 219
Manchester Mariner
March 3, 2015, 12:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
I would vote for Michael Sheen given a chance. So spot on, so vociferous, so angry, so passionate and so incredibly Welsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLMYgb7xs38

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 219
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.