Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 223 Guests

General Election Predictions

This thread currently has 30,364 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
February 8, 2015, 2:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,388
Gold Stars: 529
First time voting in an election for me, hope UKIP get nothing, think it'll be a labour-lib dem coalition but to be honest i really dont care, they are all the bloody same ( thats how it appears to people my age group)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 219
Maringer
February 9, 2015, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Well, they very most certainly aren't all the bloody same. The Conservative plans are going to continue the increasing rate of austerity which will mostly be loaded on the younger population (as has most of the austerity enacted so far). On the other hand, Osborne has extended his Pensioner bonds scheme which is nothing more than a bribe to older voters with a bit of cash put to one side. Just a transfer of money from the state to wealthy pensioners which is going to cost the country more than 9 times as much as borrowing the same amount on the bonds market would do and it will also mean that the banks have less money invested from the pensioners as well meaning they will have less money to lend.

Yet another economically inane yet politically cynical policy by probably the worst Chancellor this country has ever seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 219
Nelly GTFC
February 10, 2015, 12:20pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
I see the Forest Green Rovers man Vince is backing Labour.
Quoted from Ecotricity website | 10th February 2015
Ecotricity backs 'Green Labour'

Britain’s leading green energy company, Ecotricity, is donating £250,000 to the Labour Party’s election campaign.

Ecotricity founder Dale Vince said: “We’re putting our money where our hearts are – and that’s the care of the environment. We’ve watched the coalition government systematically undermine not just the renewable energy industry in Britain but the whole green economy and by de facto – efforts to combat climate change. We feel compelled to act and to speak out.

“In 2012, Britain’s green economy generated £128 billion, that was 8% of all GDP and a third of all growth in GDP that year - while the country was struggling to get out of recession.
Full read here >> >> [url=http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/news/news-archive/2015/ecotricity-backs-green-labour]http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/news/news-archive/2015/ecotricity-backs-green-labour[/url]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 219
Maringer
February 10, 2015, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Meh. Using lots of 'Green' energy isn't workable with current technology (energy storage is still much too expensive to make a large move to renewables feasible), so Vince has got rich on large subsidies from the British government. Good business sense from him though and he obviously believes in what he's doing.

If he thinks that Labour are more likely to keep these subsidies going, you can understand why he is backing them. That said, I'm not really sure that the policies as announced of the LibDems/Conservatives are all that much different? Obviously, the Tories are more pro-fracking, so perhaps that's one major difference, but it is only gas backup which makes any use of renewables feasible so you wouldn't think that would necessarily be the reason.

Personally, I'd rather we embarked on a sensible Nuclear build programme which didn't have us relying on the French to build and maintain power stations for us at preposterously inflated rates. A much better idea to get the Chinese to build them (they are using US designs) and then operate them ourselves, but I think we're locked in with the French now.

Of course, the fact that EDF, who we are paying to build and operate these new Nuclear power stations for us are entirely owned by the French state might be an indication that having your utilities in state hands isn't quite the disaster that Thatcherites would have you believe.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 219
KingstonMariner
February 12, 2015, 11:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Here's a little thought for anyone who thinks austerity is a good idea when the economy is still in the doldrums.

If the amount you still have left on your mortgage is roughly 80% of your income but you can easily afford to meet your payments, would your children thank you for leaving them the house paid off, but them having gone to a crappy school and got poor grades. Or would they rather you invested the money in the best education you could afford, or some critical treatment not available on the NHS, and leave them with the house and the debt when you die?

With a healthy dose of inflation the debt will become less and less of a burden, but they'll be better off having had a better education and even better able to afford the debt. And still have the house as an asset.

Osborne's plans are the economics of the mad-house.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 219
grimsby pete
February 13, 2015, 11:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Some papers are reporting than inflation will fall below zero,

I am not the brightest of people,

BUT

Isn't that DEFLATION ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 219
Maringer
February 13, 2015, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
For those who are interested, here's good article which explains the whole 'Austerity Con' which the media and many politicians have bought into:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n04/simon-wren-lewis/the-austerity-con

Pretty long but interesting for those who are bothered. Future generations will look back with incredulity at the wrong-headed and foolish policies enacted following this most recent recession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 219
cmackenzie4
February 13, 2015, 11:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I predict we will get lied to and sold down the river!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 219
Marinerz93
February 13, 2015, 3:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I predict we will get lied to and sold down the river!

How is that any different from previous elections Chris  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 219
KingstonMariner
February 14, 2015, 1:17am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
For those who are interested, here's good article which explains the whole 'Austerity Con' which the media and many politicians have bought into:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n04/simon-wren-lewis/the-austerity-con

Pretty long but interesting for those who are bothered. Future generations will look back with incredulity at the wrong-headed and foolish policies enacted following this most recent recession.

Good article. That chart showing the size of the current deficit is revealing. Why the intercourse haven't the Eds drawn attention to this God only knows. The deficit only ballooned when the recession struck and the recession happened because of the banking crisis. And the banking crisis was so bad because the banks had been allowed to do what they wanted, with little or no regulation. Which is just what the Conservatives wanted.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 219
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.