Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 187 Guests

General Election Predictions

This thread currently has 30,220 views. Print
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
pizzzza
February 3, 2015, 12:22pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 135
I've never taken more than a passing interest in politics and this thread sums up why, it's flipping boring. Yes, I vote and will continue to do so but at then end of the day - you don't get who you vote for, you get who everyone else votes for.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 219
Maringer
February 3, 2015, 1:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Erm, no. You get whoever wins the most votes and your votes counts for just as much as anyone else's.

Some for of proportional representation would be better than first past the post and would improve politics, IMO, as politicians would then have to actually work together to try and improve things instead of coming in and changing everything around every ten years or so. Unfortunately, this was too easily rejected by voters in this country when given the choice so we're stuck with what we've got for the foreseeable future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 219
grimsby pete
February 3, 2015, 3:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I am thinking of forming a new party,

It will be called the OAP PARTY,

Pensions will be doubled and entrance to all sporting events will be free,

You will go to the top of any waiting list at the hospital,

You will get 3 weeks holiday free of charge every year,

All party members must be OAP'S,

You youngsters will not be left out,

You just have to wait until you are an OAP,

Before you receive any benefits.

All this will be paid by a mansion tax,

Plus a tax on Fish + chips, ( all Grimbians and meggies will be exempt from paying this tax )

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 219
Biccys
February 3, 2015, 3:48pm
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am thinking of forming a new party,

It will be called the OAP PARTY,

Pensions will be doubled and entrance to all sporting events will be free,

You will go to the top of any waiting list at the hospital,

You will get 3 weeks holiday free of charge every year,

All party members must be OAP'S,

You youngsters will not be left out,

You just have to wait until you are an OAP,

Before you receive any benefits.

All this will be paid by a mansion tax,

Plus a tax on Fish + chips, ( all Grimbians and meggies will be exempt from paying this tax )

Ageist....

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 219
Marinerz93
February 3, 2015, 8:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, no. You get whoever wins the most votes and your votes counts for just as much as anyone else's.

Some for of proportional representation would be better than first past the post and would improve politics, IMO, as politicians would then have to actually work together to try and improve things instead of coming in and changing everything around every ten years or so. Unfortunately, this was too easily rejected by voters in this country when given the choice so we're stuck with what we've got for the foreseeable future.

You have given some good counter arguments in our debate and some points I don't agree with but it doesn't mean that we are poles apart, pardon the pun, if anything I feel I have moved back towards Labour.  I consider the posts between us as healthy and as with politicians people can sway judgements by how and what they write.

I don't trust politicians in general because of the countless failed promises made each and every general election. The problem today is the media, who backs the media and what they want you to know. I try and get my information from a variety of sources and somewhere in between there is the truth.  It's well known that your average politician believes the general public are morons.

Sadly George Carlin for me, calls it as it is, although American it can be mirrored here in the UK.

[youtube]efKguI0NFek[/youtube]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 219
Maringer
February 3, 2015, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Carlin is quite funny, but it's pretty clear that Brand has been ripping off his stuff about not bothering to vote.  

We're not nearly as bad as the US in this country just yet, but the importance of money in getting elected is clearly taking hold. The fact that the Tories have three times as much to spend as Labour means it's an uphill struggle to compete and the attacks from the ranks of the right-wing press have reached absurd proportions already. Worth reading this link which lists the newspaper attacks on Miliband on just the past Sunday and Monday:

http://www.theguardian.com/med.....nd-it-will-get-worse

Some of those are so ridiculous, it's like reading the Daily Mash!

In the US, there is a highly-funded left-wing counterpart to the right-wing expenditure, but this is something we lack in this country. I do wonder how many votes will be won just because people believe whatever the billionaire who owns their daily newspaper decides they should be believing.

Good to have a decent discussion, as you note.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 219
grimps
February 4, 2015, 8:00pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
The Tories should get in purely down to the fact that Miliband is still in charge of the Labour party.
Can anyone really see that divvy representing the UK on the World stage ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 219
grimps
February 4, 2015, 8:06pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
Maringer ? are you a civil servant by chance ? School teacher ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 219
mariner91
February 4, 2015, 8:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
I think the tories will win which is a shame really because if Labour sorted themselves out, it would be there for the taking.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 219
Maringer
February 4, 2015, 10:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps
Maringer ? are you a civil servant by chance ? School teacher ?

Nope, private sector. Lucky enough to never have been on the dole or to have required any benefits though I did go through University before tuition fees were brought into place. Always paid all my taxes as well, unlike plenty of Conservative donors!  

Miliband is a highly-intelligent, well-educated idealist. Not a 'divvy' (didn't realise we were back in the 1970s schoolyard, incidentally). Unfortunately for Miliband, we've followed the US media overload so it has come to the point where appearance is more important than substance with our politicians. Any slight slip or perceived error is jumped on by the media (which is dominated by the right in this country) and the endless attacks on Miliband by these newspapers, regardless of what he does or says have actually reached the stage where it is becoming comical. Think for a minute. In what world does it make sense that major newspapers such as the Telegraph and Mail can virulently attack Miliband because he has been mildly criticised by the billionaire, Italian, Monaco-based head of Boots for being 'anti-business'? This is the same man who has moved the tax domicile of Boots to Switzerland so they pay less tax - in our country. All well and good for the shareholders of the US holding company that owns Boots but ultimately, that's money being taken out of our public services, schools, hospitals, etc. It's preposterous to think this should be considered a serious news story, but unfortunately, plenty of people who get newspapers believe pretty much everything they read in there and so this sort of stuff is little more than propaganda.

On the other end of the scale to Miliband, you've got David Cameron who talks disingenuous nonsense much of the time but he's very slick (former PR man) and rarely gets called out on it. Here's one rare occasion when he was taken to task by the UK Statistics Authority for, well, lying about the deficit, in a party political broadcast:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/feb/01/david-cameron-rebuked-over-debt-claims

Now, Cameron may look like the sort of patrician politician that some in this country apparently like and he's still relatively popular (well, unpopular, but less unpopular than Miliband!), but don't you think the Prime Minister shouldn't be deliberately lying in his political broadcasts? I certainly do, but it appears they haven't learned their lesson (or just don't care) so are still lying about the deficit:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/c.....s-about-the-deficit/

So, the choices for the power would seem to be between somebody who is slightly awkward in media terms, but sincere and (it would seem) pretty honest. This is the one under endless attack by the ranks of the media controlled by right-wing billionaires.

Alternatively, you can go with the slick and assured option - but only if blatant dishonesty and economic incompetence doesn't matter to you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 219
22 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.