Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 67 Guests

Retained list

This thread currently has 41,593 views. Print
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
May 9, 2023, 3:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Fette Schlange
Be interesting to find out the undisclosed fee we paid for Emmanuel.
Wasted money? Probably.

Think Hurst said at the time it wasn’t a transfer fee in the traditional sense - probably a nominal fee to cover costs incurred by Hull.

Anyway, he played the ball in that won us the first pen at Southampton - if that was Efete there’s a 50/50 chance that would’ve ended up in the stands rather than the box. For that reason alone, it was money well spent.

Assume his wage demands are well above what we could offer so not really worth wasting the ink on a contract.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 237
quebec38
May 9, 2023, 3:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
About right isn’t it. Good to have a healthy amount of solid players already tied down going in to next season.

I would guess Emmanuel sees his future elsewhere hence no contract offer. I think he has been good but not outstanding. He’s a player I would have been happy to keep but not fussed that he’s leaving.

Crocombe is similar. He’s a strange one in that he was so good when he replaced Macca and addressed lots of our shortfalls in that area. I rarely come away from games thinking of a worldie save he’s pulled off but then I guess that only goes to show how solid our defence is. With Max I feel like he just saves what he should and when you see he’s kept 20 clean sheets this season, that is some going and really I should be happier to keep him. If he can improve his often wayward kicking and keep one or two more out that he has no right, I will be more than happy.

Looking forward to a summer of additions and not a rebuild.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 237
Stew0_0
May 9, 2023, 3:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Not surprised by much of that list except us not trying to sign Emmanuel. Didnt realise Amos had a contract extension clause either. Other than this nothing not expected
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 237
blundellpork
May 9, 2023, 3:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from quebec38

Crocombe is similar. He’s a strange one in that he was so good when he replaced Macca and addressed lots of our shortfalls in that area. I rarely come away from games thinking of a worldie save he’s pulled off but then I guess that only goes to show how solid our defence is. With Max I feel like he just saves what he should and when you see he’s kept 20 clean sheets this season, that is some going and really I should be happier to keep him. If he can improve his often wayward kicking and keep one or two more out that he has no right, I will be more than happy.

The best goalkeepers don’t need to make many worldie saves as they snuff out the danger before it happens, either through marshalling the defence, or collecting crosses or loose balls. Those without those abilities have to make more reaction saves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 237
OddShapedBalls
May 9, 2023, 3:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
I liked Emmanuel, thought he looked far better playing as right winger/wing back with a back 3 behind him than as part of a back 4 though, the quality was there to see going forwards.

Playing the long game I think it's best if he signs for a L1 or higher team this summer instead of us - any quality players in similar positions next year, and going forwards, might look more favourably on doing the same and giving us 6 months/1 year of a player we can't really afford normally to re-launch their career in a win-win situation.  But I'm an armchair critic so feel free to ignore me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 237
Les Brechin
May 9, 2023, 3:48pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,720
Gold Stars: 174
A big shame about Scanell. There's a bloody good player in there when he's fully fit. At least we gave it a crack by extending his contract last time, just unfortunate it didn't work out for him.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 237
May 9, 2023, 3:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from bedders78
It's here

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1655935662065954816

The following players have been released:

Ollie Battersby
Bryn Morris
Ryan Taylor
Josh Emmanuel
Owen Gallacher
Jaz Goundry
Jordan Cropper
Sean Scannell

Interesting in that most of these released players only had bit parts this season, so it looks like we might be going into Season 23/24 with the same playing squad as this season.

Reply: 76 - 237
Rodley Mariner
May 9, 2023, 3:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
It may be the case that we sounded out Emmanuel and he said he had no interest in signing. Not offering a contract doesn't necessarily mean we wouldn't have been interested in signing him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 237
kafunanapar140909
May 9, 2023, 4:03pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Re Amos, the release says: "*Danny Amos* has triggered an appearance-related extension to *his* deal", which reads as though it was Amos's decision to extend his contract, having hit the required appearances. Perhaps that took the decision out of PH's hands, meaning we're none the wiser as to whether he actually features in our long-term plans. (FWIW, I'd be doing the same thing if I were Amos, unless I had another club lined up already.)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 237
Mariner93er
May 9, 2023, 4:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Releasing Emmanuel might also be a sign that we'll be playing 4 at the back next season. He's only really shone at right wing back but hasn't really looked better than Efete in a back 4. I'd guess he'd demand a high wage (probably one of the highest earners) and it's hard to justify it on a player who doesn't fit comfortably into the system you want to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 237
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.