Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 100 Guests

Retained list

This thread currently has 41,574 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 10, 2023, 11:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 184
Personally I’d love to see a pouton/disley type combo midfield. I think what we’ve missed has been that bit of guile and strength in midfield. Someone to pick a pass and someone that can get a tackle in (oooo er!). It also has the added effect of getting the crowd going, something I think has come across as lacking this season (he says 400 miles away and watching every game on tv! )

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 237
Poojah
May 10, 2023, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Also right-back James Bolton released by Plymouth. 28, bags of League One experience and sighed by Hurst in 2017 at Shrewsbury.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 237
diehardmariner
May 10, 2023, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from Maringer
The counter-argument is that when the midfield is working, the defence and forwards look better because they have more space to do their jobs. With the players we have under contract, I don't think we've got a midfield which is good enough to get us into the play-offs.

In the early part of the season, Morris had a run of games where he looked as though he'd be able to hold the midfield together and we dominated the opposition in that area. Unfortunately, his form dropped right off after injury (or perhaps we were just found out?) and we chopped and changed throughout the season after that, never finding partnerships which worked out well enough.

Not really sure what the answer is, really, as all the midfielders have good attributes to their game, but the combination hasn't been there this season so I doubt it will be there next season, either.

One thing we really need is some pace in the team because that's something we do badly lack. Clifton is quickish, Khouri seems a bit nippier than a couple of years ago, Efete has decent pace, but that's about as far as it goes.

If Vernam signs, that will help as he's pretty quick running with the ball, but I'd like to see somebody up top with a real turn of pace as well.

I think there's definitely something in there about consistency which hasn't helped.  When Morris looked at his best, we seemed to have a bit more intent with the rest of the midfield pushing high and hard.  He was the one who, as you say, held it together and kept things calm.  

I think this midfield, in various combinations and with ongoing changes in selections, has done ok in spite of having a lack of options and outlets either ahead of him them or wide of them.  I think you add a bit of pace and intent out there, plus someone to link things together up top and those two sets of nine-goals turn into something a lot, lot more productive.

Fully agree regards pace, this is up there as one of the slowest Town teams I can remember.  Kiernan wasn't blisteringly quick but he stood out in this side, even if his end product wasn't always there.
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 237
jimgtfc
May 10, 2023, 12:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Have any of this year's youth team been offered senior contracts yet?

No, all second years released

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 237
MuddyWaters
May 10, 2023, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah
A regularly updated overview of other EFL clubs’ retained lists can be found via the links below.

Slim pickings so far, but Dan Batty released by Fleetwood could be interesting. 25 year old midfielder from Pontefract, made 60 odd appearances for Hull in the Championship before making another 60 odd for Fleetwood in League One. Fleetwood fans seem disappointed he’s gone. Same agent as Alex Hunt, Sam Bell and Jay Matete. One to keep an eye on, perhaps.

https://twitter.com/therealefl1/status/1655650536337596451

Also of interest on the Fleetwood list is keeper Alex Cairns who has operated at mostly L1 level.
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 237
GollyGTFC
May 10, 2023, 12:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Excluding the youths (as not sure how much they will feature) that leaves the squad looking like this:

Keepers:
Crocombe?

Right back:
Efete

Left back:
Glennon
Amos

Centre half:
Waterfall
Maher

Midfield:
Clifton
Khouri
Hunt
Holohan
Green

Wingers:
Khan
(Of course Clifton can also play wide)

Forwards:
Orsi

Regardless of whether Crocombe stays, I expect us to sign at least one new keeper with Battersby gone.

A right back as cover/competition for Efete.

A couple of centre halves - one of them being Bennett, if rumours are to be believed.

A high quality midifelder - this should be someone who is practically an automatic starter and really raises the quality of our midfield.

A couple of wingers (assuming we plan on playing with wingers, which I think we will).

At least two forwards, one of whom should be a big unit who can win headers.

Could well be 2 or 3 under contract that also move on. Hurst will be honest about likely game time next season. If the likes of Amos, Holohan and Orsi can find themselves regular football next season it would be unfair to keep them. If we do the sort of business we need to do I can’t see any of those getting much of a look in.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 155 - 237
ska face
May 10, 2023, 12:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Didn’t someone say Bromley were in for Orsi in Jan?

Move him on for me.
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 237
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
May 10, 2023, 1:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
A bit of writing off amos going on but he's only 23, only played about 70 league games his entire career, did really well in some big games for us last season and this season. He's not a million miles off and will get better as time goes on. Alot of the players we covet will only have been as good as him at the same stage in their career. We might get one of the best left backs in the league age 28+ but we wouldnt get that age 23 as theyd be getting poached from us. Need to have a bit more belief that our younger and lesser experienced players can improve within our fanbase sometimes I think.

Its part of pauls job aswell is continued development of players, dont always have to solve our problems with transfers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 237
May 10, 2023, 1:01pm
Guest User
There's definitely a player in Orsi, saw flashes of it again last Saturday.
Reply: 158 - 237
IlkleyMariner
May 10, 2023, 1:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Personally I’d love to see a pouton/disley type combo midfield. I think what we’ve missed has been that bit of guile and strength in midfield. Someone to pick a pass and someone that can get a tackle in (oooo er!). It also has the added effect of getting the crowd going, something I think has come across as lacking this season (he says 400 miles away and watching every game on tv! )

Watched Leyton Orient the other day. In George Moncur they had a fabulous midfielder. Lots went through him and he was box to box with an eye for goal.
Probably way out of our budget but what a difference someone like that makes to a side. Also speedy winger Smyth. Both of the could probably play in the Championship
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 237
24 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.