Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 513 Guests

Retained list

This thread currently has 41,586 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
May 9, 2023, 8:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,710
Gold Stars: 96
If Max C is off to Falkirk as hinted he might want to rethink as they are 5-0 down after 42 mins in their playoff game .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 237
Son of Cod
May 9, 2023, 8:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah

All of our central midfielders are under contract, barring Morris, and he’s been released. I’m not sure what else could have been expected from a retained list.

We’re left with Clifton, Holohan, Green and Hunt - plus Khouri, but I think he’s at least a year off challenging for a regular starting slot. That’s 5 true senior midfielders in a side that’s regularly lined up with a middle three. There’s enough scope in there for another couple of decent players, and even that's assuming no one else leaves.

Dreaming for a second, I’d really like to see us go out and bring someone in from a higher level, still in their prime. Someone akin to Moncur at Leyton Orient or Smallwood at Bradford. I don’t know whether the budget or more likely wage structure could accommodate that, but in pure footballing terms I think it would be just what the doctor ordered.

Exciting summer ahead, methinks.

Yeah I've said as much elsewhere regarding CMs. I wouldn't be surprised if we only see one coming in but he ideally needs to be someone who can come in and be a first name on the timesheet kind of signing. The midfield is solid but needs someone proven to elevate it that bit more. I think there is a lack of margin for error here and that's perhaps what GyMariner is referring to. I don't know if it necessarily needs to be on the Smallwood or Moncur scale as in someone that would get in most L1 teams with a wealth of Championship experience but definitely someone that would walk into most L2 sides. As important as the striker situation for me this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 237
HertsGTFC
May 9, 2023, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,994
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If Max C is off to Falkirk as hinted he might want to rethink as they are 5-0 down after 42 mins in their playoff game .

I’d be amazed if he signed for Falkirk regardless of how they get on in the play offs. Not sure they’re even full time.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 237
Poojah
May 9, 2023, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,761
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’d be amazed if he signed for Falkirk regardless of how they get on in the play offs. Not sure they’re even full time.

He certainly won’t go to Falkirk. Realistically, the only Scottish clubs financially capable of luring an in-demand (or at least wanted by his own club) League Two player are those in the SPL.

Since it won’t be Celtic or Rangers, and probably not Hearts, Hibernian or Aberdeen either, there’s a relatively small number of clubs who’d likely be in for him north of the border.

Probably one of Dundee United, Kilmarnock, St Mirren or Motherwell. Possibly even Dundee now that they’ve been promoted. If it happens, I’d be surprised if it’s to anyone other than those five clubs. Everyone else is either too big or too small.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 237
Poojah
May 9, 2023, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Tranmere have released theirs. I’d take Joel Mumbongo in a heartbeat. A quick glance at his Wikipedia page suggests he’s not very good at all but he’s a striker, he’s 6ft 2” and his name reminds me of my favourite soft drink advert of the 1990s (and Town were good in the 90s). I think that’s basically how “moneyball” works.

Jon Nolan also released. He’s barely managed a game all season so, sadly, he looks like he might be finished. Can’t afford to risk a wage on him if he’s not going to play. Well, not if we’re going to base our transfer strategy on the strength of players’ names vaguely resembling nostalgic beverages (and I hope we do). Real shame Jay Tabb has retired…

https://twitter.com/TranmereRovers/status/1655939810996146183

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 237
HertsGTFC
May 9, 2023, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,994
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah
Tranmere have released theirs. I’d take Joel Mumbongo in a heartbeat. A quick glance at his Wikipedia page suggests he’s not very good at all but he’s a striker, he’s 6ft 2” and his name reminds me of my favourite soft drink advert of the 1990s (and Town were good in the 90s). I think that’s basically how “moneyball” works.

Jon Nolan also released. He’s barely managed a game all season so, sadly, he looks like he might be finished. Can’t afford to risk a wage on him if he’s not going to play. Well, not if we’re going to base our transfer strategy on the strength of players’ names vaguely resembling nostalgic beverages (and I hope we do). Real shame Jay Tabb has retired…

https://twitter.com/TranmereRovers/status/1655939810996146183

Wow Tabb that is an impressive recall of 1970’s soft drinks

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 237
Poojah
May 9, 2023, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Wow Tabb that is an impressive recall of 1970’s soft drinks

Hadn’t realised it went that far back, tbf. I remember the clear version from the early 90s. Just before the short-lived fad that was Punica, that if I recall correctly was an alternative to Sunny Delight trialled only in the Grimsby / Cleethorpes area (for reasons unknown to me). Sunny D proved to be more popular and so Punica was never heard of again.

Unfortunately I couldn’t think of a footballer named Punica or Sunny Delight, although the latter does sound like he could be a Nigerian centre-half.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 237
Abdul19
May 9, 2023, 10:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,605
Gold Stars: 219
There must be a Montenegrin attacking midfielder called Punica; absolute wand of a left foot, but likes the Podgorica night life a bit too much.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 237
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 9, 2023, 10:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Abdul19
There must be a Montenegrin attacking midfielder called Punica; absolute wand of a left foot, but likes the Podgorica night life a bit too much.

…with a chronic knee problem that causes his patella to pop like a punica lid when he parties in Podgorica.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 237
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
May 9, 2023, 11:43pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 122
Im guessing Danny Amos will have had an appearance clause that will have been 20 games in the league or 20 or 25 in all competitions.

He played 31 games in total, 22 in the league, 4 in the EFL Trophy, 3 in the FA cup and 2 EFL cup games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 237
24 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.