Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 97 Guests

Retained list

This thread currently has 41,580 views. Print
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
May 9, 2023, 5:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
Didn’t Vernam leave us when the club wanted to cut his pay via the Covid clause, and then didn’t take up the option we had on him?

Unsurprising he left if that’s how wanted the club made him feel.
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 237
immariner
May 9, 2023, 6:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from GyMariner
Anyone concerned that there’s not much scope for improvement in central midfield going forward?

Not majorly. We usually go with 3 and we have Holohan, Hunt, Clifton, Green as experienced pros and a young pro in Khouri. Nothing to say that we might not still see at least 1 of those move on or Khouri go out on loan. Defo need 1 CM but I think we'll see 2, even if no one moves on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 237
moosey_club
May 9, 2023, 6:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from cannylad65
Whoever is released, needs to be replaced with someone better.

Clearly you are not familiar with the Scunthorpe Model.
😄

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 237
moosey_club
May 9, 2023, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Whilst he's struggled for most of this season, I thought Taylor deserved a send-off yesterday.  

He was integral last season and I personally would rather have had the opportunity to give him a round of applause in the final minutes than Mikey O'Neill.

Probably on a bigger appearance fee and goal bonus and maybe even close to a trigger clause.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 237
TwoLeftFeet
May 9, 2023, 6:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from ska face
Didn’t Vernam leave us when the club wanted to cut his pay via the Covid clause, and then didn’t take up the option we had on him?

Unsurprising he left if that’s how wanted the club made him feel.

Exactly my thoughts too.. who wouldn't want to leave the club at the time the way it was being run..also got the impression the club wanted rid to reduce the wage bill..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 237
rancido
May 9, 2023, 6:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,655
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
Re Amos, the release says: "*Danny Amos* has triggered an appearance-related extension to *his* deal", which reads as though it was Amos's decision to extend his contract, having hit the required appearances. Perhaps that took the decision out of PH's hands, meaning we're none the wiser as to whether he actually features in our long-term plans. (FWIW, I'd be doing the same thing if I were Amos, unless I had another club lined up already.)

PH will have been well aware of that clause and could have kept his appearances below the trigger point if he wanted. I know injuries could have forced his hand in playing him but we will never know the full story.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 237
Poojah
May 9, 2023, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from GyMariner
Anyone concerned that there’s not much scope for improvement in central midfield going forward?

All of our central midfielders are under contract, barring Morris, and he’s been released. I’m not sure what else could have been expected from a retained list.

We’re left with Clifton, Holohan, Green and Hunt - plus Khouri, but I think he’s at least a year off challenging for a regular starting slot. That’s 5 true senior midfielders in a side that’s regularly lined up with a middle three. There’s enough scope in there for another couple of decent players, and even that's assuming no one else leaves.

Dreaming for a second, I’d really like to see us go out and bring someone in from a higher level, still in their prime. Someone akin to Moncur at Leyton Orient or Smallwood at Bradford. I don’t know whether the budget or more likely wage structure could accommodate that, but in pure footballing terms I think it would be just what the doctor ordered.

Exciting summer ahead, methinks.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 237
HertsGTFC
May 9, 2023, 6:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Poojah

All of our central midfielders are under contract, barring Morris, and he’s been released. I’m not sure what else could have been expected from a retained list.

We’re left with Clifton, Holohan, Green and Hunt - plus Khouri, but I think he’s at least a year off challenging for a regular starting slot. That’s 5 true senior midfielders in a side that’s regularly lined up with a middle three. There’s enough scope in there for another couple of decent players, and even that's assuming no one else leaves.

Dreaming for a second, I’d really like to see us go out and bring someone in from a higher level, still in their prime. Someone akin to Moncur at Leyton Orient or Smallwood at Bradford. I don’t know whether the budget or more likely wage structure could accommodate that, but in pure footballing terms I think it would be just what the doctor ordered.

Exciting summer ahead, methinks.

I just think we need to add an experienced bully in mid field who can keep and pass the ball, all of our lads seem to do some of those things but not all of them.

That said after a decent rest I’m expecting our mid field to come back and be more effective, in the last few weeks we’ve seen glimpses of the difference I think we all know Hunt could make in creativity.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 237
Roast Em Bobby
May 9, 2023, 6:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
In my opinion we need more height and physicality. Vernam, Khan, Hunt, Holohan etc. are all tiny and tend to struggle against the big physical teams and struggle through the grind of the winter months. We've lost loads of games this year despite playing the better football and then conceded a couple of goals from corners or direct play. Nearly every team we play has 7 or 8 six footers whilst we struggle to have more than 3 or 4 at best usually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 237
moosey_club
May 9, 2023, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Only thing for me is that I thought just a few interviews ago Hurst was hinting at being harsh or ruthless,  can't remember the exact wording....looking at that list then it's basically a pretty easy decision list...
I do wonder if he has privately told some players that they would be released if they could find a club.

Just hope the window brings some actual solid first team players in...looking at our list of loans, charity contracts for the season then four or five we have played this season were just wasteful use of squad numbers, wages etc..Pepple,Simmonds, o neill, Dixon Peters,  Scannell , Gallagher....maybe even some more who have already proved forgettable..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 237
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.