Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Fans Forum
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Fans Forum

This thread currently has 20,851 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 25, 2023, 9:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555

We will never forget Fenty, I certainly won't.

However that is done, and it is today's reality we should concentrate on.

This isn’t meant as an attack on you but how can we move on when a (increasing?) section of our fan base can’t identify that these changes have happened:

In late 2020:
- Town were a laughing stock in the industry (people in football, including other club owners, thought Fenty was an absolute joke!)
- Fenty and Holloway sought investment from Alex May and god only knows who else

Now:
- We have an improved reputation in the industry
- As far as we are aware, JS and AP are not about to sell the club to a convicted fraudster

Just those points alone are a huge, positive change.

All of us will have our own thoughts about what JS and AP have done right or wrong but those two key points are surely the most important.

We will win matches.  We will lose matches. We might get promoted. We might get relegated. But the fundamental point is that the club exists and is something we can be proud of.

I’m very proud to be a Town fan. Much more so than I was in late 2020.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 194
ska face
November 25, 2023, 9:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
I honestly don’t see what people found so objectionable about Stockwood’s answers. Wasn’t the point about getting abuse on social media a response to a question asking how the board dealt with getting abuse on social media after the Accrington chairman jacked it in recently? I notice they didn’t bring up how Cook had to take herself off twitter entirely after being subject to a campaign of abuse from some sad acts on there.

Same with the improvements at BP. I’d be fųcked off if the council had suddenly decided (a week before the first match of the season) that you needed to put a whole new roof on the Pontoon after it not being an issue for the last 20 years (when a Councillor was the owner…).
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 194
Mappers
November 25, 2023, 9:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
I think Stockwood & Pettit are probably a lot wealthier than people think , they obviously like to downplay things . They seem to have X amount they are willing to invest and want to do so wisely ; you would have thought there is some aside to prop up a shortfall on the training ground and then to keep us out of debt /maintain the budget .

I get when people dish out criticism when it's justified but I honestly don't think the current custodians have done a whole lot wrong at all really- they want to improve within what we can afford , is that such a bad thing ?

Maybe we won't go anywhere fast , but at least  we know now  we are not going backwards or standing still - yes it doesn't give you that buzz like all the false promises did in the past (at least to start) but it's real life , with real achievable goals ; we should at least give the guys credit for not trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Crowds are strong (even with this bad spell ) and good things are happening , maybe people just need to downgrade their expectations a bit and realise we are not lottery winners .

We have sold 6.5k tickets today, which is bloody good , when we are doing badly in general , half of league 2 and a good few teams in league 1 would bite your hand off for that ; maybe we all need to be a bit more positive with what we have got rather than what we have not in general.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 194
November 25, 2023, 9:46am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from 123614

100% agree, and willing to donate.

I know this is a forum but why do we have to lurch from one crazy extreme to another.

The owners are not going to be transparent about the financial situation in public. No owner would be. There will be ‘some’ money available in January but we’re not going to shout about it. The sum of that ‘some’ might be relatively low but it will be enough to strengthen in certain areas.

Just don’t expect us to go out and poach Langstaff from Notts Chalky, that’s all.

When the owners speak in public they are just trying to bat the questions away. Despite what they said when they arrived, it’s impossible to be transparent with fans, both for commercial reasons and the fact that a significant proportion of football fans are stupid.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 194
EvilFish
November 25, 2023, 9:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52

We will never forget Fenty, I certainly won't.

However that is done, and it is today's reality we should concentrate on.

It isn't done though is it? Fenty ran the club like a non-League outfit long before we dropped into non-League. The lack of investment - not just in the ground and training pitch - but throughout the club in its running and lack of professionalism will take a long time to undo. Just in the past year the club have had to push a hell of a lot of money into basic upkeep of the ground just to tread water. He slowly wrecked our club over a number of years merely to massage his ego.

So it isn't done. We're still feeling the repercussions and will for a number of years yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 194
November 25, 2023, 9:57am
Brandy Drinker
Plus, as far as I am aware, JS and AP have never threatened to take legal action against Rob, against posters on The Fishy or generally threatened fans, staff or anyone basically.

We are only in the position where we can challenge and criticise the current owners on this forum because that bullying, self-obsessed cünt is no longer involved in our club.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 194
1mickylyons
November 25, 2023, 10:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from EvilFish

It isn't done though is it? Fenty ran the club like a non-League outfit long before we dropped into non-League. The lack of investment - not just in the ground and training pitch - but throughout the club in its running and lack of professionalism will take a long time to undo. Just in the past year the club have had to push a hell of a lot of money into basic upkeep of the ground just to tread water. He slowly wrecked our club over a number of years merely to massage his ego.

So it isn't done. We're still feeling the repercussions and will for a number of years yet.

Totally agree Fenty penny pinching has set the Club back years and his claiming back every penny including the Trust money sums him up Me Me Me.
He was a parasite and were well rid of him but sadly his legacy will haunt us for years to come.
Things will get better FA Cup windfall and possibly player sales further down the line may be financial game changers.Were in good safe hands but clearly we need further investment from other suitable persons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 194
November 25, 2023, 10:09am
Guest User
I agree we need more investment, but as DC said last night, in the current financial climate it is proving difficult to persuade companies to invest in a football club, particularly one currently in the bottom reaches of League Two.
Reply: 157 - 194
1mickylyons
November 25, 2023, 10:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 123614
I agree we need more investment, but as DC said last night, in the current financial climate it is proving difficult to persuade companies to invest in a football club, particularly one in the bottom reaches of League Two.

I liked it when DC said they were not prepared to let someone have naming rights to the Findus unless they paid  what the Club deemed it worth. The days of flogging the family silver to the first offer are long gone and that was great to hear we won't be selling unless our value is met
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 194
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2023, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,729
Gold Stars: 237

This isn’t meant as an attack on you but how can we move on when a (increasing?) section of our fan base can’t identify that these changes have happened:

In late 2020:
- Town were a laughing stock in the industry (people in football, including other club owners, thought Fenty was an absolute joke!)
- Fenty and Holloway sought investment from Alex May and god only knows who else

Now:
- We have an improved reputation in the industry
- As far as we are aware, JS and AP are not about to sell the club to a convicted fraudster

Just those points alone are a huge, positive change.

All of us will have our own thoughts about what JS and AP have done right or wrong but those two key points are surely the most important.

We will win matches.  We will lose matches. We might get promoted. We might get relegated. But the fundamental point is that the club exists and is something we can be proud of.

I’m very proud to be a Town fan. Much more so than I was in late 2020.

I don't think there are ANY Town fans who don't think we are in a better place, morally and financially and by just about every other metric, apart from possibly league position.

Private Message
Reply: 159 - 194
20 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Fans Forum

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.