10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
October 24, 2023, 9:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 535
Thanks Paul, for magical memories, But its time to change before things go so bad for you that your legacy is tarnished.

Im gutted, for him, for Us fans, but cant defend this anymore. Not losing to them, A goalkeeper(s) who is worse than the one we’ve let go, a defence that cant defend. Ive never seen a Hurst side like this. Ever.

Did the right thing 2nd half and went for it and got back into it but then just sat off them and you just knew. You knew they would score. Christ knows what Eastwood was doing

Had chances, Missed them of course.

Credit to Green who i thought did very well.

Ive rarely felt like this after football, almost attached to a manager, But this team look excrement scared and I dont believe Hurst can survive this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
AncientExiledMariner
October 24, 2023, 10:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I think you summed this up perfectly.

I really saw him turning this around, but after today, it may just need something different. Confidence needs to be rebuilt.

Very deflated right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 98
DB
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
PH sends Green to talk to JT on RH. Wot Hurst is not available, Doig is not available, Coaches are not available, Club Captain is not available, and Match Captain is not available.

A sh!t performance on the pitch and a worse from the staff fo not turning to talk to JT.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 98
HelensburghMariner

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +37
Gold Stars: 1
Another routine terrible performance from Town.
Reading through other threads I'm not sure how certain individuals can still back Hurst to turn it around!?

Can't defend, can't string even a couple of passes together, can't communicate more importantly though they look as if they don't care

Time for Stockwood & co. to act!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 98
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Very flat after that. All I can really muster up is Mullarkey and Eastwood shouldn’t be in the team.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 98
moosey_club
October 24, 2023, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
First two goals Eastwood heavily to blame for me...First one he started out to go get the ball, stopped, back tracked and beaten by a good finish....if anything he probably hesitated as it was similar to the penalty he conceded Saturday....second goal the ball was just there to be caught..he didn't move...shocking.
The third goal hard to tell from my angle about how bad a deflection it was but it was a fast counter attack, we hadn't sat back, just got caught.
In between all that, a freaky own goal for us, a decent second following good pressure and getting numbers in the box.....but overall,  disjointed First half, brief rally, then aimless punts up.
Hurst second guessing himself now, Eisa in the middle, no natural wide men out wide...always struggling. Put a central midfielder in the middle and a winger out wide and hey presto some success.
Don't think we deserved to lose but didn't deserve to win either but that isn't convincing enough for me and neither is 15 -20 mins of real committed play every game.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 98
immariner
October 24, 2023, 10:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Our expected xG for and against must make interesting reading. Does anyone know where I can find this? Would love to know our goals conceded to shots on target faced too. Has to be the worst in the division. We've objectively created the greater chances tonight and effectively lost 3-1. Their keeper's made five saves and Eastwood one. We've been in really good positions around the box and sub-standard passing and finishing has let us down time and time again: Eisa and Gnahoua not quick enough and letting the ball hit them with the goal at their mercy, Rose should do better with a header, Amos's shank with half a dozen teammates to pass to. Gav's hit the post, which was a good save by their keeper. I don't think i've ever known a Town side with such a contrast between the competence in both boxes.

When we've been excrement in League 2 before, we've generally been crap at the back and not created chances at the other end. That's not the case with this team, we've been in virtually every game, if not the side that's created the better chances in most of them. We're just absolutely urine weak at the back, not helped by a keeper who i'm sorry to say does not instil confidence in his defenders
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 98
pontoonlew
October 24, 2023, 10:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
There’s only so many times it can be bad luck.

Hurst has lost the fans now, the clock is now ticking on the owners making a call before the noise turns towards them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 98
ginnywings
October 24, 2023, 10:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Players who looked pretty good at the start of the season now look shell shocked and lost. The keeper instils no confidence whatsoever and we are dithering in defensive and attacking situations, with a prime example being Andrews who just seemed to freeze, lost the ball and as is the case this season, a player hits a hopeful shot, and it's deflected into the corner of the net for what turned out to be the winner.

Another game we have lost by the one goal, and overall we at least deserved a point, but if you have to score 3 goals at home to a bottom 2 side just to get one point, there's something wrong. It's just not working and we look muddled and scared of the ball.

Didn't help having no Clifton and losing Holohan, because if nothing else, they bring energy to the midfield. So we end up with a player whose playing his first half in weeks, alongside Andrews and Conteh, who have about 20 league games experience between them.

The wheels have well and truly come off.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 98
HatTrickHero
October 24, 2023, 10:30pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +780
Gold Stars: 25
3 goals conceded from a  bottom 2 side, the 3rd from a player strolling through the middle, AGAIN, for the umpteenth time this season  and we're meant to believe this management team made up entirely of ex-defenders will ever build a solid defensive core for a team?

A clean sheet is a thing of pure fantasy right now, matches are a miserable experience, confidence is shot, it feels like we need a complete reset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 98
1mickylyons
October 24, 2023, 10:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from DB
PH sends Green to talk to JT on RH. Wot Hurst is not available, Doig is not available, Coaches are not available, Club Captain is not available, and Match Captain is not available.

A sh!t performance on the pitch and a worse from the staff fo not turning to talk to JT.

Spineless pretty much sums up his team too be honest. Defeats like that at home get Manager's the sack Hurst will know that and 1878 need to put him and the fans out there misery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 98
1mickylyons
October 24, 2023, 10:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
First two goals Eastwood heavily to blame for me...First one he started out to go get the ball, stopped, back tracked and beaten by a good finish....if anything he probably hesitated as it was similar to the penalty he conceded Saturday....second goal the ball was just there to be caught..he didn't move...shocking.
The third goal hard to tell from my angle about how bad a deflection it was but it was a fast counter attack, we hadn't sat back, just got caught.
In between all that, a freaky own goal for us, a decent second following good pressure and getting numbers in the box.....but overall,  disjointed First half, brief rally, then aimless punts up.
Hurst second guessing himself now, Eisa in the middle, no natural wide men out wide...always struggling. Put a central midfielder in the middle and a winger out wide and hey presto some success.
Don't think we deserved to lose but didn't deserve to win either but that isn't convincing enough for me and neither is 15 -20 mins of real committed play every game.  

Good post overall but sorry mate you defend like that against a team in the bottom two you deserve to lose alright.Out thought and out fought that's as bad a result as you can get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 98
AncientExiledMariner
October 24, 2023, 10:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Spineless pretty much sums up his team too be honest. Defeats like that at home get Manager's the sack Hurst will know that and 1878 need to put him and the fans out there misery.

Edit: ignore. He took the interview.

I don't think he is. Something is going on. Either he or 1978 have made a decision already. Speculation of course, but this isn't normal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 98
1mickylyons
October 24, 2023, 10:39pm
Special Brew Drinker

I don't think he is. Something is going on. Either he or 1978 have made a decision already. Speculation of course, but this isn't normal.

Not sure what you mean? All I can tell you looking across from the Upper with 15 mins to go the manager and coaching staff didn't look like guys under pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 98
heppy88
October 24, 2023, 10:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
That first half ‘performance’ was one of the worst I’ve seen. You could understand it better if we were playing a team higher up the table away from home. But it was Colchester at home FFS! Credit to Green who single handily turned things around for 20 minutes in the second half, but it takes more than one man to win a game. To be honest under a better manager, coaches  these players could be alright. Most on here we’re happy with the signings at the beginning of the season, it’s just Hurst and Doig have a knack of squeezing any skill, flair and confidence out of them at this time of the year every season. I just don’t believe on these performances they can turn this around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 98
headingly_mariner
October 24, 2023, 10:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
It's a strange game football. Gone in behind, after really struggling when Holohan went off.
Then we've come out with a change of shape and had a right go, they're clearly still playing for him, but small mistakes keep costing us. Not sure what the intercourse Andrews is playing at on the half way line for the their winner, he's half decent on the ball but I think he's way off, I'd like to see Hunt in front of him.

We didn't sit back 2nd half we just got nailed on the break.

Bizarrely all that talk about needing a striker and it's turned out he was already here. Wilson looks a real threat, pins his man and seems to be a decent finisher, which is strange because his scoring record is shite.

I know I'm in a very small minority, but I'd be keeping Hurst and I think this is a real bad spell, but a spell all the same. I can see why people want a change, I don't know why people have to be girl privates about it though, if he goes he deserves to go without getting loads of excrement.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 98
1mickylyons
October 24, 2023, 10:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Green the only positive tonight .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 98
Maringer
October 24, 2023, 10:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,553
Gold Stars: 185
That was as shambolic a first-half performance as I've seen for some time.

A Keystone Kops moment from their keeper to gift us the lead, but we let them right back into it with sloppy defending soon afterward. A good ball and run down the wing, but Eastwood missed a chance to come out to clear and the two defenders who got back didn't attempt to close down the player or block the shot - I presume they thought he would try to wait for support and cross it. Great finish from their striker, admittedly.

The second was obviously dodgy from Eastwood. One of those ones where he was caught out as the corner missed everybody at the near post and it practically bounced off their player to go in. He should obviously have done better with that one but I'm of the view that he's an 'unlucky' sort of a keeper as well. Almost every time he does something which is slightly sub-par, it leads to a goal and, even if he hasn't done much wrong, the ball often ends up in the net without him having a chance to make a save, as with thir winner. We've all seen keepers miss a cross and the ball gets scrambled away, but every time he makes an error, it's a goal.

Much improved in the second half following the introduction of Green who added some much-needed physicality and bite into midfield (and a some good bits of play here and there as well). Also helped that the utterly useless Mullarkey went off. I think he's just about adequate at full-back (though slow and also surprisingly weak on the ball for a big guy), but he was beyond dismal as a sort of 'wing-back'.

Another good finish from Wilson who looks to be a good sort of a 'fox in the box' (I'm less than convinced by his all-round forward play at the moment), but we then, of course, gave away another stupid goal which proved to be decisive. Because we miss lots of chances - open goals, especially. Another two missed this evening, so that's another point gone after the potential for three against Accrington when Eisa missed another tap-in.

I suspect Hurst will get the chance to continue as manager until the weekend, at least. A loss to Donny would surely be the final straw as, perhaps, would be a draw.

Whoever is in charge come the January transfer window, I certainly hope they will so something about the squad's terrible lack of pace throughout. Their front three caused us all sorts of problems by simply moving forward with the ball at pace and it's not something we're even remotely capable of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 98
LH
October 24, 2023, 10:57pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,529
Gold Stars: 173
Hurst didn’t really bother clapping the fans afterwards (I mean I get why) but even in disappointing circumstances he still usually does. The players look devoid of confidence which is very concerning. I just hope we haven’t blown all the cup money in that one window more than anything - we need so much investment again.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 98
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 10:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH
Hurst didn’t really bother clapping the fans afterwards (I mean I get why) but even in disappointing circumstances he still usually does. The players look devoid of confidence which is very concerning. I just hope we haven’t blown all the cup money in that one window more than anything - we need so much investment again.

He was clapping at the end to be fair.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 98
toontown
October 24, 2023, 11:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LH

I thought the opposite, I think he suspected that was times up at BP and he was giving a last clap for old times sake. I'd booed at the end of the game but I did give him a clap at that point, as thanks for what's gone before. I don't think he'll be in charge at home again, even if he just maybe gets the Donny game (he shouldn't do).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 98
LH
October 24, 2023, 11:09pm

Quoted from davmariner

He was clapping at the end to be fair.

Yes he did - but very much a clap so he didn’t get excrement for not doing it. Might as well have clap clap fished!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 98
easypeersy
October 24, 2023, 11:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
How has it come to this?
We were all so buoyant at the start of the season.
Seemingly  good signings.
Reasonable start.
Something to build on.
All of a sudden winning away matches and then ending up with draws.
A fluke goal by Crawley and 97th winner.
Suddenly confidence drops like a stone.
Crowd, including me go quiet at home matches expecting it to be bad but hoping it isn’t.
Performances get worse - Accrington, Colchester.
Well..
It just seems like one hammer blow after another.
I personally think our luck has been dire but so has the manager.
Hopefully luck will change but what about the manager?
Would his P45 being issued resolve this situation?
And what about a few words from our Chairmen - gone all quiet!
It’s very worrying!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 98
TAGG
October 24, 2023, 11:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,957
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings
Players who looked pretty good at the start of the season now look shell shocked and lost. The keeper instils no confidence whatsoever and we are dithering in defensive and attacking situations, with a prime example being Andrews who just seemed to freeze, lost the ball and as is the case this season, a player hits a hopeful shot, and it's deflected into the corner of the net for what turned out to be the winner.

Another game we have lost by the one goal, and overall we at least deserved a point, but if you have to score 3 goals at home to a bottom 2 side just to get one point, there's something wrong. It's just not working and we look muddled and scared of the ball.

Didn't help having no Clifton and losing Holohan, because if nothing else, they bring energy to the midfield. So we end up with a player whose playing his first half in weeks, alongside Andrews and Conteh, who have about 20 league games experience between them.

The wheels have well and truly come off.

Hurst is an idiot
Started with 3 at the back with two wingback on Saturday and we were all over the place and absolutely excrement.
Changes the formation at half time and we were back in the game.
So what does he do tonight, starts with a back 3 with wing backs and we were fuking excrement surprisingly enough.
Changes at halfvtime and were back in the game.
Way to go Hurst, you have made yeself look a proper mug.
Sack the buffoon in the morning.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 98
Theimperialcoroner
October 25, 2023, 1:13am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
A tale of two keepers. Theirs makes several decent and a couple of world class saves, ours makes Tommy Forecast look like Schmeichal.
Something has to happen there or we’re copulated. Maybe it is a chance for Cartwright to shine. He really cannot be any worse can he?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 98
sam gy
October 25, 2023, 2:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
The players looked absolutely clueless in that first half.

Why play Mullarkey, who apparently has played most of his career as a CB, as a RWB, and Efete who has played most of his career as a RB (with going forward his main attribute), as a CB?

Eisa is totally lost if he’s not out wide.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 98
headingly_mariner
October 25, 2023, 6:49am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Hurst is an idiot
Started with 3 at the back with two wingback on Saturday and we were all over the place and absolutely excrement.
Changes the formation at half time and we were back in the game.
So what does he do tonight, starts with a back 3 with wing backs and we were fuking excrement surprisingly enough.
Changes at halfvtime and were back in the game.
Way to go Hurst, you have made yeself look a proper mug.
Sack the buffoon in the morning.

He didn't change formation on Saturday. We played well with 3 at the back. He switched Mullarkey and Efete at half time but didn't change formation.
The change tonight was a really positive one, it just don't get what it deserved.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 98
It Bites
October 25, 2023, 7:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,216
Gold Stars: 265
As Greeny said in his interview, it’s a results business now …. Well let’s face it the last 30 home games have not been entertainment and the results haven’t been great . The Hartlepool game last season was the moment PH had lost me tbh but I kept trying to believe. Any other club would of pulled the trigger by now and if we don’t do it soon we are relegated Again .

Under Fenty the ground was a dump and we had no Hope in the EFL

Under 1878 the ground/training ground/pitch have improved but on the pitch we have no Hope in the EFL

My conclusion is that Grimsby Town FC are now a yo yo club between the national league and League 2 , it’s where we are now sadly .
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 98
golfer
October 25, 2023, 7:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
You need guts and players who will give their all for the team. To me we only seem to have Hollohan Clifton Waterfall and Green who fit the requirements
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 98
DaleH
October 25, 2023, 7:15am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from moosey_club
second goal the ball was just there to be caught..he didn't move  

We must have seen a different second goal then. Because he does move. In completely the wrong direction.

He moves from the centre of his goal line to his near post. Where there was already players stood to cover that area.

Instead he should have travelled in the direction of the 6 yard box line, which is where the ball was heading towards, to cut that cross out.

A complete poor misjudgement on the flight of that ball. Eastwood is not a GK I feel at all confident in.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 98
grimps
October 25, 2023, 7:20am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46

My conclusion is that Grimsby Town FC are now a yo yo club between the national league and League 2 , it’s where we are now sadly .
[/quote]

Thats only because we as fans and a club continue to accept it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 98
1mickylyons
October 25, 2023, 7:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from DaleH

We must have seen a different second goal then. Because he does move. In completely the wrong direction.

He moves from the centre of his goal line to his near post. Where there was already players stood to cover that area.

Instead he should have travelled in the direction of the 6 yard box line, which is where the ball was heading towards, to cut that cross out.

A complete poor misjudgement on the flight of that ball. Eastwood is not a GK I feel at all confident in.

Yeah now imagine being a CB in front of him what in hell where we doing losing Crocombe for Eastwood?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 98
dapperz fun pub
October 25, 2023, 7:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,956
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from golfer
You need guts and players who will give their all for the team. To me we only seem to have Hollohan Clifton Waterfall and Green who fit the requirements

Guts yes quality no … other clubs smaller than us in this league seem to find the odd player with a bit of technical ability coupled with guts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 98
pontoonlew
October 25, 2023, 7:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
I don’t believe we’re a L2 / Non League YoYo club, the elephant in the room is that Hursts EFL record is absolutely diabolical and its somehow gone under the radar/been ignored due to his Non League record.

Get a Non League level manager, then you get Non League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 98
GollyGTFC
October 25, 2023, 7:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,968
Gold Stars: 356
I keep repeating myself but I think all our main problem this season are in central midfield. Obviously left back and goalkeeper appear to be our other main weaknesses.

Conteh is a fantastic player but is wasted just sat deep.

We’ve badly missed Green tenacity and work rate with him initially out of favour and then injured.

Hunt has quality. I have no idea what’s gone on over the past year but he probably needs a manager to show some faith in him and give him a run of 10 to 12 games. He always seems to be the fall guy.

Holohan & Clifton are virtually identical. High energy, but so lacking in quality and composure. Neither are particular good with the ball at their feet and their decision making and ball protection (Harry especially) is appalling. They just aren’t good enough to play in central midfield in League 2.

Khouri seems to be forever injured, but even when he’s fit Hurst refuses to involve him beyond 15-20 minutes here and there.

I am willing to bet a new manager will come in and play the Ian Holloway style 4-3-3 rather than the negative Paul Hurst 4-1-4-1. In the 4-3-3 system the central midfield is more solid and they offer support to the full backs when they go forward. And the wingers become wide forwards and aren’t having to think equally about defending.

For example Holloway was the only manager to get a tune out of Vernam by freeing him up to be totally forward thinking. Vernam as an orthodox winger is a complete waste of his talent.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 98
gtfc_chris
October 25, 2023, 7:51am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Game itself was one of two halves. First was pretty poor without being spectacularly bad. We didn't control the game but neither did they, it was just a nothingness of a performance from both teams (much like Tranmere and Accrington for me). Too far away in the Main Stand to really comment on any goalkeeping errors, more so for the first but the corner looked badly judged even from a distance.

The second half we looked better. Ironically, given that many on here have said we need two strikers, we'll be better with two strikers, going back to one up top with Wilson moving over more to the right hand side (albeit he didn't look an out and out winger) and we performed better. I'll reserve the word 'much', because despite having a spell where they took control, it soon fizzled out and returned to something of a patient nothingness.

What's frustrating to me is that the players aren't helping the manager. I'm not saying they aren't playing for him, but some of the wayward passes and decisions were baffling. That's beyond the control of any of the coaching staff. We can discuss our 'style' of play all day long, but within that comes the need for the players to make good decisions and be technically accurate with the ball.

Within our style, whats becoming more frustrating is our inability to work the ball through the middle. We recycle the ball into wide areas but especially on the right don't get anyone overlapping to overload. It wasn't until the second half when Green came on that he started to try and feed into the strikers feet. Anything through the middle is often lifted and plays to the advantage of the centre backs. I don't really have an issue as such with playing wide, but without the ability to vary our approach to better play through the middle then we're too predictable and becoming easier to defend against.

For Hurst, even as a staunch fan, I'm defenceless your honour. I want to try and find ways to suggest this is just a bad patch and we will turn it round but I'm struggling for the evidence. Someone else mentioned it, other than Barrow and Mansfield I don't believe we've categorically been the worst side in terms of the play. In most games there's a hook you could use to suggest we're progressing, however small it might be. However, those hooks aren't being threaded together and taken game from game to build a picture that suggests we're going to get results, whether through a good performance or other.

It won't surprise me either way if he ends up given the sack in the next few days, or if he's in the dugout for Doncaster. If we don't get a result or a really dominant performance at the weekend then I'll be surprised if he sees the game after that. I genuinely hate the fact that I'm around to the thinking his time is complete here such is my respect for the man but even a run of 5-6 wins won't change the growing opinion from most that he's ran his race and that's a horrible scenario to be in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 98
golfer
October 25, 2023, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Most of the new players looked good on paper when they arrived but to me the 3 year contracts looked over generous considering that Crocombe was only offered a 1 year deal. Although we have had injuries the players seem to have gone backwards to what they were when they arrived. The only thing I can think of is the way they are being told to play is alien to their natural skills .. Obviously this is the fault of Hurst and his training squad. We don't seem to have any interchangeable plans. We play the same way even after the previous game has failed. Hurst, talk to the players and don't be stubborn if they come up with ideas different to yours. No matter how good one is it is improbable that he is 100% right 100% of the time. Time is running out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 98
Croxton
October 25, 2023, 9:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from pontoonlew
I don’t believe we’re a L2 / Non League YoYo club, the elephant in the room is that Hursts EFL record is absolutely diabolical and its somehow gone under the radar/been ignored due to his Non League record.

Get a Non League level manager, then you get Non League.

Add to that his presbyterian and parochial recruitment policy. Targets are so often players he has worked with previously, are good honest lads, have local 'ish' connections, buy into his 'intensity of training', or needing to come good again after long struggles with injury.  

There are real questions over due diligence, the medical tests and all round resilience of some recruits who are unavailable for selection.

Everything needs a no fear or favour review as far as the fitness and preparation of players is concerned. If we have some who are talented but tire in the last 45 then have people on the bench who can fill the slot. In most games this season our opponents have had stronger, more experienced subs to change games.

The squad as a whole lacks strength and cover in key positions and January can't come soon enough. Hurst is set in his ways and too close to the problem to provide answers. Our owners gave PH complete control of football matters. If he stays, and other staff and their routines are not questioned either, then the negativity will widen to a quite toxic working environment.

Rumours abounded at Stockport about some things that may have gone off but they happen at every club. If we were winning games no one would care, But we are not so speculation will continue.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 98
Theimperialcoroner
October 25, 2023, 9:37am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102

Rumours abounded at Stockport about some things that may have gone off but they happen at every club. If we were winning games no one would care, But we are not so speculation will continue.  [/quote]

What rumours?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 98
Hagrid
October 25, 2023, 9:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Rumours abounded at Stockport about some things that may have gone off but they happen at every club. If we were winning games no one would care, But we are not so speculation will continue.  

What rumours?
[/quote]

GTFCJacko on twitter was spouting that Doig and Glennon have had a huge bust up, which is why he is now frozen out the squads completely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 98
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 10:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from golfer

I would suggest when fit we need to get them all in the team  , along with the others who were the core of the last couple of seasons - we are going into the trenches ; not bothered about pretty football now for me it's survival first - get to 50 points and then see where we are . We cannot drop out of the league again -  going to Braintree , Weymouth and Bromley might have been a bit of a laugh but I don't want to go back .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 98
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 10:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
I couldn't believe, yet of course I could, that we went with a back five against a side second bottom of the table, at home.

That decision was even more bizarre when you saw just how rapid their wingers were (their number 42 was exceptionally quick and direct).   If ever there was a game where you just want your fullbacks to be solid and let the wingers do the attacking it was against those two opposition widemen.

All at sorts for most of the game. Eastwood, Mullarkey and Rodgers look nothing like the players that started the season.  It's staggering how quickly they've tailed off.   Eastwood's rightly taking pelters for their second goal but intercourse me, if Rodgers wanted to fart on their attacker it would have been more physical than just watching them brush past him.  Collectively there's no responsibility taken.  

Green comes on and we improve.  This is no slight on the lad but just like how we shouldn't be relying on Clifton to come on and improve us just through sheer workrate, we shouldn't be relying on Green to significantly improve us just because he'll get stuck in.

I thought Conteh looked a lot better when he was further forward and for a 20 minute spell in the second half when we started to pass it about, using the slickness of the pitch and in little triangles we looked half decent.  Then we just reverted to booting it long for Danny Rose to hopefully do something.

Andrews clearly at fault for the third.  Tried to be too clever when flicking it round their guy and got caught, but I don't want to knock the lad for at least trying something different.  Already on a booking so couldn't touch their guy but six players backed off and off.  Again, someone take responsibility.  I don't want to turn every single thread into a Alex Hunt rant, but if it was Hunt who made that mistake he would be in the stands for the next 3 games.  

Eisa was utterly ineffective in the No 10 slot first half.  We tried him there for the first few games of the season and he was woeful, I'm not sure what Hurst thought would have changed.  Much better when deployed out wide.

Again, as per Saturday, chasing the game in the final 20 minutes and it was like a pre-season friendly.  88 minutes before Hurst makes another change.  He had a striker (Pyke) and a winger (Gnahoua) on the bench, yet both are sat watching as we just toil about.

That all said, their 'keeper makes some really smart saves and if he doesn't we're probably thinking Hurst has kept the wolf at bay for a bit.  Alas, he does make those saves.  You can't concede 3 goals at home to a side 91st in the whole league and think you're gonna get away with it.

Post game Hurst just sounds lost and almost in acceptance of his fate.  I feel sorry for him but even that was tested when he goes down the path of the law of averages is that it'll come good eventually.  Sorry Paul but that's deluded.  We're in the position we are because our approach to games is wrong, our players don't have any confidence, they don't look like they know what the plan is or as if they've ever played together before, we don't have a creative midfielder, we're absolutely devoid of any pace at all, our goalkeeper is a nervous wreck, the gap between midfield and attack is huge and we hoof it up at every opportunity despite not really having a physical presence in the side.   Yet you think it's a case of the coin falling on the right side.  It's not.

Less than 5000 home fans in the ground.  Yes Champs League was on, yes it wasn't amazing weather and all that. But it was half-term and you could see that as more young kids there.  If we're playing well that gate is 6500 upwards.  Less than 2000 sold for Donny isn't it?  Absolutely unheard of.  

Hate to think it, hate even more to say it but it's time for Hurst to go.  I don't think you've lost the players but either they don't know what you want them to do or you don't know what you want them to do, maybe a combination of both.  I think there's the bones of a decent League Two side in there.  It should be defensively solid (we know it can and has proved to be so), the midfield has a good blend of options if the right people are played and up top we've actually got a good No 9 type in Rose and clearly someone in Wilson who knows where the goal is.  I also think we've got a decent 'keeper in Eastwood, he's just absolutely devoid of any confidence at all.  The biggest task for whoever comes in isn't wholesale change, it's installing a bit of belief and an approach that the players can buy into.

Thanks for the memories Paul, please go now before it gets really toxic.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 98
TownSNAFU5
October 25, 2023, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Looking at the continuing deterioration over the season, an outsider looking in would probably conclude that the manager and most of the players were doing their best (or worst) to get things wrong.

Of course we are trying to the opposite by playing well and winning matches. using the right players in their best positions in the right formation  Taking the game to the opposition, with confidence and courage.

Sadly this is not happening in many games.  The basics are not being done.  We are playing with a lack of individual and collective confidence.  This stems from the manager.  The momentum for a change has probably gone too far.  We need a fresh start. A new manager should be able to get more from the players that we have.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 98
Jarmo.Is.God
October 25, 2023, 10:38am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Hagrid

What rumours?

GTFCJacko on twitter was spouting that Doig and Glennon have had a huge bust up, which is why he is now frozen out the squads completely [/quote]

GTFCJacko.... end of rumour/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,725
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner
I couldn't believe, yet of course I could, that we went with a back five against a side second bottom of the table, at home.

That decision was even more bizarre when you saw just how rapid their wingers were (their number 42 was exceptionally quick and direct).   If ever there was a game where you just want your fullbacks to be solid and let the wingers do the attacking it was against those two opposition widemen.

All at sorts for most of the game. Eastwood, Mullarkey and Rodgers look nothing like the players that started the season.  It's staggering how quickly they've tailed off.   Eastwood's rightly taking pelters for their second goal but intercourse me, if Rodgers wanted to fart on their attacker it would have been more physical than just watching them brush past him.  Collectively there's no responsibility taken.  

Green comes on and we improve.  This is no slight on the lad but just like how we shouldn't be relying on Clifton to come on and improve us just through sheer workrate, we shouldn't be relying on Green to significantly improve us just because he'll get stuck in.

I thought Conteh looked a lot better when he was further forward and for a 20 minute spell in the second half when we started to pass it about, using the slickness of the pitch and in little triangles we looked half decent.  Then we just reverted to booting it long for Danny Rose to hopefully do something.

Andrews clearly at fault for the third.  Tried to be too clever when flicking it round their guy and got caught, but I don't want to knock the lad for at least trying something different.  Already on a booking so couldn't touch their guy but six players backed off and off.  Again, someone take responsibility.  I don't want to turn every single thread into a Alex Hunt rant, but if it was Hunt who made that mistake he would be in the stands for the next 3 games.  

Eisa was utterly ineffective in the No 10 slot first half.  We tried him there for the first few games of the season and he was woeful, I'm not sure what Hurst thought would have changed.  Much better when deployed out wide.

Again, as per Saturday, chasing the game in the final 20 minutes and it was like a pre-season friendly.  88 minutes before Hurst makes another change.  He had a striker (Pyke) and a winger (Gnahoua) on the bench, yet both are sat watching as we just toil about.

That all said, their 'keeper makes some really smart saves and if he doesn't we're probably thinking Hurst has kept the wolf at bay for a bit.  Alas, he does make those saves.  You can't concede 3 goals at home to a side 91st in the whole league and think you're gonna get away with it.

Post game Hurst just sounds lost and almost in acceptance of his fate.  I feel sorry for him but even that was tested when he goes down the path of the law of averages is that it'll come good eventually.  Sorry Paul but that's deluded.  We're in the position we are because our approach to games is wrong, our players don't have any confidence, they don't look like they know what the plan is or as if they've ever played together before, we don't have a creative midfielder, we're absolutely devoid of any pace at all, our goalkeeper is a nervous wreck, the gap between midfield and attack is huge and we hoof it up at every opportunity despite not really having a physical presence in the side.   Yet you think it's a case of the coin falling on the right side.  It's not.

Less than 5000 home fans in the ground.  Yes Champs League was on, yes it wasn't amazing weather and all that. But it was half-term and you could see that as more young kids there.  If we're playing well that gate is 6500 upwards.  Less than 2000 sold for Donny isn't it?  Absolutely unheard of.  

Hate to think it, hate even more to say it but it's time for Hurst to go.  I don't think you've lost the players but either they don't know what you want them to do or you don't know what you want them to do, maybe a combination of both.  I think there's the bones of a decent League Two side in there.  It should be defensively solid (we know it can and has proved to be so), the midfield has a good blend of options if the right people are played and up top we've actually got a good No 9 type in Rose and clearly someone in Wilson who knows where the goal is.  I also think we've got a decent 'keeper in Eastwood, he's just absolutely devoid of any confidence at all.  The biggest task for whoever comes in isn't wholesale change, it's installing a bit of belief and an approach that the players can buy into.

Thanks for the memories Paul, please go now before it gets really toxic.

I agree but not about Eastwood. It was obvious from quite early on he is not good enough. His distribution is shocking. Last night there was a lengthy stoppage and when he eventually took the free kick or goal kick it just sailed straight out of play. Basic common sense tells you to keep it on the pitch when things are going badly.

As for his keeping he just looks so weak. Rochdale fans were bemused how he got another league club so it is a mystery.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 98
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 10:51am
Vodka Drinker
Fair enough Lew.  I thought early doors he was fine, to the point I thought he looked an upgrade and I seem to recall a fair amount of people waxing lyrical about him too.  

You don't become a good/bad goalkeeper overnight.  

Just like how I don't think Mullarkey and Rodgers, to an extent Conteh too, have gone from looking like Rolls Royce players in the opening weeks to Lada Riva's over the course of a few games.  

I don't know what it is and probably never will do.  But as a whole they're playing within themselves and show a lack of belief.  I think for the outfield players it's probably a bit easier to hide when you're low on confidence, as a 'keeper everything is magnified and exposed.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 98
sam gy
October 25, 2023, 10:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Cartwright deserves a chance in goal. People are writing him off already, but he's only played in the pizza trophy...a competition we play a second string in (how bad must that be considering how our first team is performing), that no one cares about. Even then i'm not sure he's ever played as bad as Eastwood has in recent times.

I've been a huge Hurst supporter right up until the last few weeks. And i'm not sure we actually have this good squad that a lot of people are talking about...we played some good football in the early stages of the season where it looked like we were just missing Wilson as the last piece of the puzzle to get more goals. Now we look the opposite.

Full backs arent good enough.

Centre mid is the worst position for us...few decent players but cant seem to get the right combo.

Wingers are ok but our best on paper is out long term. Eisa flatters to deceive for me...amazing goals aside, i don't think he's great at crossing or taking people on...in terms of all round play, he doesnt contribute too much IMO. Arthur i really rate to be honest, he seems to have good control and can beat a man but he's always the first one that gets dropped.

Striker wise, Rose and Wilson know where the goal is but we're light on numbers and i'm yet to see them actually have any decent link up play on a consistent basis, though they've still barely played together so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Worrying times...here's hoping it is just low confidence and a new manager can get them playing again. Or Hursty can turn it around but thats looking unlikely now, which is a huge shame.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 98
TownSNAFU5
October 25, 2023, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
  Despite losing 3-0 at home to Salford last night Donney had 20 shots at goal. Would a similar number of shots trouble our poor defence and keeper?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Fair enough Lew.  I thought early doors he was fine, to the point I thought he looked an upgrade and I seem to recall a fair amount of people waxing lyrical about him too.  

You don't become a good/bad goalkeeper overnight.  

Just like how I don't think Mullarkey and Rodgers, to an extent Conteh too, have gone from looking like Rolls Royce players in the opening weeks to Lada Riva's over the course of a few games.  

I don't know what it is and probably never will do.  But as a whole they're playing within themselves and show a lack of belief.  I think for the outfield players it's probably a bit easier to hide when you're low on confidence, as a 'keeper everything is magnified and exposed.

I think Maringer on another thread has the answer to Eastwood. Maybe we thought Cartwright would be number 1 with him being highly rated at Hull, but it hasn't materialised.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 98
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 11:06am
Vodka Drinker
Perhaps.  

Either way, they're what we've got for the next 2 months at least.  Personally I would be trying Cartwright out, starting on Saturday.  Eastwood definitely needs taking out the firing line.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 98
Hagrid
October 25, 2023, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
  Despite losing 3-0 at home to Salford last night Donney had 20 shots at goal. Would a similar number of shots trouble our poor defence and keeper?  

well we had 19 so we're bound to lose in a high scoring game again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 98
October 25, 2023, 1:03pm
Guest User
Quoted from DB

Wrong, PH was interviewed by JT after the match.

Reply: 51 - 98
Limerick Mariner
October 25, 2023, 1:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136

I think Maringer on another thread has the answer to Eastwood. Maybe we thought Cartwright would be number 1 with him being highly rated at Hull, but it hasn't materialised.

The two keeper plan has failed, if that is why Crocombe left it’s a massive blunder. As was letting Orsi go.

All told the squad building in the summer has failed, it’s down to PH, he knows that and I think that’s behind what he was saying last night. They are not all bad players, some are good enough for a play-off challenging side, but we are unbalanced, lack options outside the preferred one up front system (that worked well with Taylor and McAtee at their best), and McAtee hasn’t been replaced so even the preferred system lacks the most important lynchpin.

I’m more concerned now than in previous bad runs because of the problems at GK and at the back. We don’t look like grinding out any 1-0s…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 98
The_Laughing_Mariner
October 25, 2023, 1:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Its worth remembering that Eastwood, Mullarky and Rogers were all in teams that were relegated last season.  They have come to Town believing that we are in an upward trajectory.  With all the leads squandered, last minute goals costing lots of points, it must feel like deja vu, no wonder they have lost a bit of form.
The whole team, whilst trying hard, no complaints about workrate, look dejected, disjointed and demoralised.  
Also, it was recognised that our first fixtures were against the expected better teams, and generally played well, but the afore mentioned squandered leads and  dropped points have affected morale and form, so much so that going into the easier fixtures our dreadful form has continued.
We need a few confidence boosting  wins, preferably at Donny and Slough, if we don't, then I'm afraid Hurst will be gone.
UTM

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 98
Les Brechin
October 25, 2023, 1:35pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from 123614

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 98
Rodley Mariner
October 25, 2023, 1:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Rodgers is the biggest drop off for me. Rodgers looked absolute class in his first few games. First few he looked strong, combative, decent on the ball but he just looks all over the show at the minute and desperately lacking in any confidence. Maybe it is a hangover from last season but he looks like he needs taking out of the firing line to me. I'd be tempted to go with a back four of Efete, Waterfall, Maher and Amos on Saturday with Conteh and Green in front of them. Christ knows what you do in goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 98
davmariner
October 25, 2023, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Rodgers is the biggest drop off for me. Rodgers looked absolute class in his first few games. First few he looked strong, combative, decent on the ball but he just looks all over the show at the minute and desperately lacking in any confidence. Maybe it is a hangover from last season but he looks like he needs taking out of the firing line to me. I'd be tempted to go with a back four of Efete, Waterfall, Maher and Amos on Saturday with Conteh and Green in front of them. Christ knows what you do in goal.

Good point on Rodgers who has been largely disappointing recently (and was at fault for the first goal yesterday by charging in and getting caught out of possession). Reverting to the back four of last season makes sense.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

The two keeper plan has failed, if that is why Crocombe left it’s a massive blunder. As was letting Orsi go.

All told the squad building in the summer has failed, it’s down to PH, he knows that and I think that’s behind what he was saying last night. They are not all bad players, some are good enough for a play-off challenging side, but we are unbalanced, lack options outside the preferred one up front system (that worked well with Taylor and McAtee at their best), and McAtee hasn’t been replaced so even the preferred system lacks the most important lynchpin.

I’m more concerned now than in previous bad runs because of the problems at GK and at the back. We don’t look like grinding out any 1-0s…

And this is the last group of players I would choose to fight a relegation battle. They didn't expect to be in one, and they won't be able to handle it.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 98
October 25, 2023, 1:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from Les Brechin

So you post an interview by someone else.  Are you saying I am lying?

Reply: 58 - 98
DB
October 25, 2023, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Quoted from DB

Hindsight is brilliant but you are wrong. We were told by RH that Hurst would appear, only for Green to appear during the program and not Hurst which was correct at the time I posted. At that time nobody knew if Hurst would appear later or not. He chose to be interviewed after the program ended and you had to search RH to find it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 98
DB
October 25, 2023, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well, I am, just back from the hospital having had a colonoscopy ( Everything seems to be ok ). The nurse asked me if I had 'Moviprep' and I said I didn't need it as watching Town v Colchester did the trick.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB
Well, I am, just back from the hospital having had a colonoscopy ( Everything seems to be ok ). The nurse asked me if I had 'Moviprep' and I said I didn't need it as watching Town v Colchester did the trick.

Thanks for sharing...!
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 98
Les Brechin
October 25, 2023, 2:19pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from 123614

Is that better. Sorry, I thought it was the same interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gnkkrr

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 98
October 25, 2023, 2:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from Les Brechin

Is that better. Sorry, I thought it was the same interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gnkkrr

Thank you.

Reply: 63 - 98
headingly_mariner
October 25, 2023, 5:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Hindsight is brilliant but you are wrong. We were told by RH that Hurst would appear, only for Green to appear during the program and not Hurst which was correct at the time I posted. At that time nobody knew if Hurst would appear later or not. He chose to be interviewed after the program ended and you had to search RH to find it.

Think you've misunderstood this. They thought they were getting him on at 10 so stayed on air. The Green interview was in addition, they were never not going to get Hurst and most Tuesdays they don't get him before they go off air.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 98
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 25, 2023, 5:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,698
Quoted from 123614

Christ it’s not all about you. His interview with JT was posted on whatever thread but there is always a different post match interview which is loaded on You Tube and all Les did was post this, hardly a reason to suggest he was questioning your honesty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 98
moosey_club
October 25, 2023, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Quoted from moosey_club

With the benefit of the highlights I think i may have been tough on Eastwood regards the first goal, from my spot it looked like the ball had carried further on the through ball...so I think Maher/Efete could have done better with the closing down...
However ....on the 3rd goal it looks like the deflected ball was alot nearer to Eastwood than I thought on the night.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 98
Gaffer58
October 25, 2023, 7:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Played golf at Waltham Windmill today, disappointed that on the hole near the training ground it appeared empty, was some cars in the car park though, but after last night and the last few games I would have expected to see the squad there going through some training routines, if their not there during this crap run then it may explain some things. Granted it was about 2ish so they’d probably already gone home, don’t want to tire them out before Saturday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 98
ginnywings
October 25, 2023, 7:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Gaffer58
Played golf at Waltham Windmill today, disappointed that on the hole near the training ground it appeared empty, was some cars in the car park though, but after last night and the last few games I would have expected to see the squad there going through some training routines, if their not there during this crap run then it may explain some things. Granted it was about 2ish so they’d probably already gone home, don’t want to tire them out before Saturday!

The day after a game will be rest and recovery.

Flogging players in training won't make them better and will probably lead to injuries.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 98
October 25, 2023, 7:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Christ it’s not all about you. His interview with JT was posted on whatever thread but there is always a different post match interview which is loaded on You Tube and all Les did was post this, hardly a reason to suggest he was questioning your honesty.

So he apologised later, no actual need for you to stick your oar in.

Reply: 69 - 98
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 25, 2023, 9:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,698
Quoted from 123614

So he apologised later, no actual need for you to stick your oar in.

Exactly how I feel about most of your posts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 98
LH
October 25, 2023, 9:49pm

Quoted from DB

Did you keep a tape of it? Need to watch something to erase last night from my mind.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 98
AncientExiledMariner
October 25, 2023, 10:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from LH

Did you keep a tape of it? Need to watch something to erase last night from my mind.

I mean, if you're sinking as low as GY's "one guy, 6 cups", you may need to consider professional help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 98
RonMariner
October 26, 2023, 12:29am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Things must be bad. There hasn't been a post on the Scunthorpe thread for over a week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 98
BobbyCummingsTackle
October 26, 2023, 4:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from RonMariner
Things must be bad. There hasn't been a post on the Scunthorpe thread for over a week.

They`ve started a Grimsby thread.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 98
DB
October 26, 2023, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58

I believe Wednesday is always their day off, apart from some match days!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 98
October 26, 2023, 12:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Exactly how I feel about most of your posts.

Quote one.

Reply: 76 - 98
jonnyboy82
October 26, 2023, 12:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
For me out of the team go..

Eastwood
Rodgers
Mullarkey

I would play cartwright give him his chance,  Rodgers looks so low on confidence and give waterfall and maher a go as the centre backs and drop mullarkey with effete going in at right back.

The biggest flop for me has Been mullarkey , I've not seen much in him to suggest he's the much sought after defender he is after all the talk of signing him . Infact the last 2 clubs he's signed for have both been relegated.  Hes not been worthy of taking the shirt of efete imo.

In all the signings we've made have all pretty much failed to deliver except eisa who has scored goals but even he has dropped off recently.

Something is not quite right atm and so far the quality this year compared to last year isn't on par . Especially when you also take onto account the majority of these players are more expensive too.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 98
Hagrid
October 26, 2023, 12:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Eastwood
Rodgers
Mullarkey

I would play cartwright give him his chance,  Rodgers looks so low on confidence and give waterfall and maher a go as the centre backs and drop mullarkey with effete going in at right back.

The biggest flop for me has Been mullarkey , I've not seen much in him to suggest he's the much sought after defender he is after all the talk of signing him . Infact the last 2 clubs he's signed for have both been relegated.  Hes not been worthy of taking the shirt of efete imo.

In all the signings we've made have all pretty much failed to deliver except eisa who has scored goals but even he has dropped off recently.

Something is not quite right atm and so far the quality this year compared to last year isn't on par . Especially when you also take onto account the majority of these players are more expensive too.

I agree with this, Some fans have their mind made up on Efete but for me, he walks into the side over Mullarkey
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 98
arryarryarry
October 26, 2023, 2:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Eastwood
Rodgers
Mullarkey

As a defender, Efete is pretty hopeless, goes to sleep too many times.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 98
DB
October 26, 2023, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

But has been better than Mullarkey these last 2 games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
Tommy
October 26, 2023, 3:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from arryarryarry

I agree with this.
I think Efete defends quite well in 1v1 situations because he has the physical attributes (pace, strength) to ensure he's not easily beaten, or can recover well. But he's often out or position, not aware of where players are or the dangers around him, making him slow or late to react to danger a lot of the time.

Attacking wise, again, Efete has the physical attributes to be able to get up and down the line supporting the winger or breaking forward, but IMO (and I don't want to sound brutal but can't sugar-coat it) he's pretty awful with his decision-making in terms of when to pass it, where to pass it, and especially his crossing which has always been really bad. For instance I couldn't see Efete putting in that quality cross Mullarkey did for Rose's goal at Bradford.

I'm not writing Mullarkey off yet but we need better than our other 3 full backs if we are to compete at this level.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 98
chaos33
October 26, 2023, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Agree, although I really like Danny Amos and there’s not too much wrong with him for a L2 left back.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
Northbank Mariner
October 26, 2023, 6:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,481
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from chaos33
Agree, although I really like Danny Amos and there’s not too much wrong with him for a L2 left back.

Apart from his crosses are awful and don't get me started on his dead ball deliveries, oh and getting rinsed by any winger with half an ounce of pace!!..
And on from that, do we actually do any work on set pieces?..we are so incompetent its verging on being embarrassing tbh
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
Mappers
October 26, 2023, 6:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

I agree with this.
I think Efete defends quite well in 1v1 situations because he has the physical attributes (pace, strength) to ensure he's not easily beaten, or can recover well. But he's often out or position, not aware of where players are or the dangers around him, making him slow or late to react to danger a lot of the time.

Attacking wise, again, Efete has the physical attributes to be able to get up and down the line supporting the winger or breaking forward, but IMO (and I don't want to sound brutal but can't sugar-coat it) he's pretty awful with his decision-making in terms of when to pass it, where to pass it, and especially his crossing which has always been really bad. For instance I couldn't see Efete putting in that quality cross Mullarkey did for Rose's goal at Bradford.

I'm not writing Mullarkey off yet but we need better than our other 3 full backs if we are to compete at this level.

Always thought Michee is one of those types that's  better when he doesn't have time to think , especially when in the opposing half - even when on the ball ,give him a bit of time and he will invariably role it backwards - second half Tuesday when the handbrake was off he went on a couple of barnstorming runs .

I agree though about his concentration and positional play ,but with his physical attributes he wouldn't be a league 2/NL player if he had those would he Tommy . Unfortunately they are attributes that probably won't improve .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 98
chaos33
October 26, 2023, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Apart from his crosses are awful and don't get me started on his dead ball deliveries, oh and getting rinsed by any winger with half an ounce of pace!!..
And on from that, do we actually do any work on set pieces?..we are so incompetent its verging on being embarrassing tbh

Fair play if that’s your view but it’s a bit harsh. I would say it’s more fair to say that his crossing is inconsistent, as is his dead ball delivery at times, and he’s not super quick, but, you know, if he was consistently great in those areas he wouldn’t be a L2 footballer.
I think he’s fully committed, fit, strong, technically ok and positionally solid. Full backs get done all the time. At every level. You can’t hold him fully responsible for ‘defensive unit’ shortcomings. Check out his cross field ball in the Bradford away game, leading to our goal or his whipped hit last season against Luton for the third goal. He isn’t flawless. Nobody is in L2 is. He’s basically steady away, and he absolutely gives his all, at all times. I’m behind players like that. He’s invested. He’s committed. The squad needs more players with that spirit. That buy-in. There are weaker links.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
grimsby pete
October 26, 2023, 11:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Yes but apart from that he is not bad is he ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
Norseman
October 27, 2023, 12:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Hagrid

I agree with this, Some fans have their mind made up on Efete but for me, he walks into the side over Mullarkey

Efete wouldn't walk into my Sunday league side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
1mickylyons
October 27, 2023, 7:27am
Special Brew Drinker
I still think our strongest left side is Amos LB with Glennon LM we might then see some decent crosses for Rose and Wilson to attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 98
Hagrid
October 27, 2023, 8:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Norseman

Pathetic comment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
Northbank Mariner
October 27, 2023, 12:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,481
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from chaos33

Fair play if that’s your view but it’s a bit harsh. I would say it’s more fair to say that his crossing is inconsistent, as is his dead ball delivery at times, and he’s not super quick, but, you know, if he was consistently great in those areas he wouldn’t be a L2 footballer.
I think he’s fully committed, fit, strong, technically ok and positionally solid. Full backs get done all the time. At every level. You can’t hold him fully responsible for ‘defensive unit’ shortcomings. Check out his cross field ball in the Bradford away game, leading to our goal or his whipped hit last season against Luton for the third goal. He isn’t flawless. Nobody is in L2 is. He’s basically steady away, and he absolutely gives his all, at all times. I’m behind players like that. He’s invested. He’s committed. The squad needs more players with that spirit. That buy-in. There are weaker links.

I can't disagree with your opinion of Amos, I actually think defensively hes better than Glennon, just think offensively he's not as good.
And I'd go as far as to say I'm not sure he's a competent league 2 defender, NL yes, but EFL, I'm not so sure.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 98
October 27, 2023, 2:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from Norseman

Ridiculous statement.

Reply: 91 - 98
Maringer
October 27, 2023, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Amos has his off days and his fitness had always been a bit suspect to me - he was blowing out his backside after 70 minutes on Tuesday, though he hasn't been long back from injury. He's OK and I think he's better defensively than Glennon. That shanked shot was criminal the other night, though. He had a lot of goal to aim for and missed by three yards (I think the shot was the right option intthat position, but not the execution).

Efete is a decent enough full-back defensively when he's one on one as he's quick and strong, but as others have mentioned, he does have the odd lapse in concentration. He's also pretty quick and sometimes goes on a good forward run but the problem is that his passing and crossing is so poor. On Tuesday, I actually remarked when he put in a good cross in the second half, because he so rarely does so when in a good position! I suspect the fact that he's not great at crossing explains why he tends to cut it back so often when in advanced areas. He actually does quite well as one of a back three sometimes, especially if there is a physical threat for him to complete against. However, Mullarkey is obviously not a wing-back.

These two are our best full-backs defensively speaking, but both relatively limited. If its going to be a battle against relegation, they'll probably be the best options, but hopefully that won't be necessary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 98
Norseman
October 27, 2023, 11:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Pathetic comment

True though as I pick the Sunday league team 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 98
Norseman
October 27, 2023, 11:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Ridiculous statement.

I accept you might know a little about ridiculous statements as you publish so many of them on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 98
Heisenberg
October 28, 2023, 12:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,072
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I still think our strongest left side is Amos LB with Glennon LM we might then see some decent crosses for Rose and Wilson to attack.

I have wondered this myself for a few weeks now as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 98
Mappers
October 28, 2023, 6:15am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Amos has his off days and his fitness had always been a bit suspect to me - he was blowing out his backside after 70 minutes on Tuesday, though he hasn't been long back from injury. He's OK and I think he's better defensively than Glennon. That shanked shot was criminal the other night, though. He had a lot of goal to aim for and missed by three yards (I think the shot was the right option intthat position, but not the execution).

Efete is a decent enough full-back defensively when he's one on one as he's quick and strong, but as others have mentioned, he does have the odd lapse in concentration. He's also pretty quick and sometimes goes on a good forward run but the problem is that his passing and crossing is so poor. On Tuesday, I actually remarked when he put in a good cross in the second half, because he so rarely does so when in a good position! I suspect the fact that he's not great at crossing explains why he tends to cut it back so often when in advanced areas. He actually does quite well as one of a back three sometimes, especially if there is a physical threat for him to complete against. However, Mullarkey is obviously not a wing-back.

These two are our best full-backs defensively speaking, but both relatively limited. If its going to be a battle against relegation, they'll probably be the best options, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

The shot was the completely wrong decision imo , he had what 4 or 5 players waiting for a tap in , slightly more awareness(he didn't get his head up I don't think) +  composure and we have a tap in - pretty much summed up where we are at the moment .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 98
Maringer
October 28, 2023, 7:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Nah, I reckon a shot on goal was the best/easiest option. I seem to recall they had a couple of players close to the near post so a cross wouldn't have been completely straightforward whereas a smash at goal there was. He was forced a little wider than necessary by the pass, but still had lots to aim at. Completely shanked it, unfortunately. I sit right I'm the middle of the upper Findus so perhaps have a different viewpoint to many. That said, the guy next to me thought he should have crossed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 98
October 28, 2023, 10:37am
Guest User
Quoted from Norseman

I accept you might know a little about ridiculous statements as you publish so many of them on here

Quote some, or are you one of the many 'Bash the Bear' idiots?  The last person who posted something similar I asked him to quote me one post, I'm still waiting.  I just can't take you seriously when you say a League 2 Pro Footballer wouldn't get in your Sunday League side, so funny.  LOL!
Reply: 98 - 98
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.