grimps
October 25, 2023, 7:20am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46

My conclusion is that Grimsby Town FC are now a yo yo club between the national league and League 2 , it’s where we are now sadly .
[/quote]

Thats only because we as fans and a club continue to accept it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 98
1mickylyons
October 25, 2023, 7:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from DaleH

We must have seen a different second goal then. Because he does move. In completely the wrong direction.

He moves from the centre of his goal line to his near post. Where there was already players stood to cover that area.

Instead he should have travelled in the direction of the 6 yard box line, which is where the ball was heading towards, to cut that cross out.

A complete poor misjudgement on the flight of that ball. Eastwood is not a GK I feel at all confident in.

Yeah now imagine being a CB in front of him what in hell where we doing losing Crocombe for Eastwood?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 98
dapperz fun pub
October 25, 2023, 7:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,952
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from golfer
You need guts and players who will give their all for the team. To me we only seem to have Hollohan Clifton Waterfall and Green who fit the requirements

Guts yes quality no … other clubs smaller than us in this league seem to find the odd player with a bit of technical ability coupled with guts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 98
pontoonlew
October 25, 2023, 7:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,040
Gold Stars: 177
I don’t believe we’re a L2 / Non League YoYo club, the elephant in the room is that Hursts EFL record is absolutely diabolical and its somehow gone under the radar/been ignored due to his Non League record.

Get a Non League level manager, then you get Non League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 98
GollyGTFC
October 25, 2023, 7:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
I keep repeating myself but I think all our main problem this season are in central midfield. Obviously left back and goalkeeper appear to be our other main weaknesses.

Conteh is a fantastic player but is wasted just sat deep.

We’ve badly missed Green tenacity and work rate with him initially out of favour and then injured.

Hunt has quality. I have no idea what’s gone on over the past year but he probably needs a manager to show some faith in him and give him a run of 10 to 12 games. He always seems to be the fall guy.

Holohan & Clifton are virtually identical. High energy, but so lacking in quality and composure. Neither are particular good with the ball at their feet and their decision making and ball protection (Harry especially) is appalling. They just aren’t good enough to play in central midfield in League 2.

Khouri seems to be forever injured, but even when he’s fit Hurst refuses to involve him beyond 15-20 minutes here and there.

I am willing to bet a new manager will come in and play the Ian Holloway style 4-3-3 rather than the negative Paul Hurst 4-1-4-1. In the 4-3-3 system the central midfield is more solid and they offer support to the full backs when they go forward. And the wingers become wide forwards and aren’t having to think equally about defending.

For example Holloway was the only manager to get a tune out of Vernam by freeing him up to be totally forward thinking. Vernam as an orthodox winger is a complete waste of his talent.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 98
gtfc_chris
October 25, 2023, 7:51am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Game itself was one of two halves. First was pretty poor without being spectacularly bad. We didn't control the game but neither did they, it was just a nothingness of a performance from both teams (much like Tranmere and Accrington for me). Too far away in the Main Stand to really comment on any goalkeeping errors, more so for the first but the corner looked badly judged even from a distance.

The second half we looked better. Ironically, given that many on here have said we need two strikers, we'll be better with two strikers, going back to one up top with Wilson moving over more to the right hand side (albeit he didn't look an out and out winger) and we performed better. I'll reserve the word 'much', because despite having a spell where they took control, it soon fizzled out and returned to something of a patient nothingness.

What's frustrating to me is that the players aren't helping the manager. I'm not saying they aren't playing for him, but some of the wayward passes and decisions were baffling. That's beyond the control of any of the coaching staff. We can discuss our 'style' of play all day long, but within that comes the need for the players to make good decisions and be technically accurate with the ball.

Within our style, whats becoming more frustrating is our inability to work the ball through the middle. We recycle the ball into wide areas but especially on the right don't get anyone overlapping to overload. It wasn't until the second half when Green came on that he started to try and feed into the strikers feet. Anything through the middle is often lifted and plays to the advantage of the centre backs. I don't really have an issue as such with playing wide, but without the ability to vary our approach to better play through the middle then we're too predictable and becoming easier to defend against.

For Hurst, even as a staunch fan, I'm defenceless your honour. I want to try and find ways to suggest this is just a bad patch and we will turn it round but I'm struggling for the evidence. Someone else mentioned it, other than Barrow and Mansfield I don't believe we've categorically been the worst side in terms of the play. In most games there's a hook you could use to suggest we're progressing, however small it might be. However, those hooks aren't being threaded together and taken game from game to build a picture that suggests we're going to get results, whether through a good performance or other.

It won't surprise me either way if he ends up given the sack in the next few days, or if he's in the dugout for Doncaster. If we don't get a result or a really dominant performance at the weekend then I'll be surprised if he sees the game after that. I genuinely hate the fact that I'm around to the thinking his time is complete here such is my respect for the man but even a run of 5-6 wins won't change the growing opinion from most that he's ran his race and that's a horrible scenario to be in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 98
golfer
October 25, 2023, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Most of the new players looked good on paper when they arrived but to me the 3 year contracts looked over generous considering that Crocombe was only offered a 1 year deal. Although we have had injuries the players seem to have gone backwards to what they were when they arrived. The only thing I can think of is the way they are being told to play is alien to their natural skills .. Obviously this is the fault of Hurst and his training squad. We don't seem to have any interchangeable plans. We play the same way even after the previous game has failed. Hurst, talk to the players and don't be stubborn if they come up with ideas different to yours. No matter how good one is it is improbable that he is 100% right 100% of the time. Time is running out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 98
Croxton
October 25, 2023, 9:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from pontoonlew
I don’t believe we’re a L2 / Non League YoYo club, the elephant in the room is that Hursts EFL record is absolutely diabolical and its somehow gone under the radar/been ignored due to his Non League record.

Get a Non League level manager, then you get Non League.

Add to that his presbyterian and parochial recruitment policy. Targets are so often players he has worked with previously, are good honest lads, have local 'ish' connections, buy into his 'intensity of training', or needing to come good again after long struggles with injury.  

There are real questions over due diligence, the medical tests and all round resilience of some recruits who are unavailable for selection.

Everything needs a no fear or favour review as far as the fitness and preparation of players is concerned. If we have some who are talented but tire in the last 45 then have people on the bench who can fill the slot. In most games this season our opponents have had stronger, more experienced subs to change games.

The squad as a whole lacks strength and cover in key positions and January can't come soon enough. Hurst is set in his ways and too close to the problem to provide answers. Our owners gave PH complete control of football matters. If he stays, and other staff and their routines are not questioned either, then the negativity will widen to a quite toxic working environment.

Rumours abounded at Stockport about some things that may have gone off but they happen at every club. If we were winning games no one would care, But we are not so speculation will continue.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 98
Theimperialcoroner
October 25, 2023, 9:37am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102

Rumours abounded at Stockport about some things that may have gone off but they happen at every club. If we were winning games no one would care, But we are not so speculation will continue.  [/quote]

What rumours?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 98
Hagrid
October 25, 2023, 9:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Rumours abounded at Stockport about some things that may have gone off but they happen at every club. If we were winning games no one would care, But we are not so speculation will continue.  

What rumours?
[/quote]

GTFCJacko on twitter was spouting that Doig and Glennon have had a huge bust up, which is why he is now frozen out the squads completely
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.