DB
October 26, 2023, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from arryarryarry

As a defender, Efete is pretty hopeless, goes to sleep too many times.

But has been better than Mullarkey these last 2 games.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
Tommy
October 26, 2023, 3:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from arryarryarry

As a defender, Efete is pretty hopeless, goes to sleep too many times.

I agree with this.
I think Efete defends quite well in 1v1 situations because he has the physical attributes (pace, strength) to ensure he's not easily beaten, or can recover well. But he's often out or position, not aware of where players are or the dangers around him, making him slow or late to react to danger a lot of the time.

Attacking wise, again, Efete has the physical attributes to be able to get up and down the line supporting the winger or breaking forward, but IMO (and I don't want to sound brutal but can't sugar-coat it) he's pretty awful with his decision-making in terms of when to pass it, where to pass it, and especially his crossing which has always been really bad. For instance I couldn't see Efete putting in that quality cross Mullarkey did for Rose's goal at Bradford.

I'm not writing Mullarkey off yet but we need better than our other 3 full backs if we are to compete at this level.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 98
chaos33
October 26, 2023, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Agree, although I really like Danny Amos and there’s not too much wrong with him for a L2 left back.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
Northbank Mariner
October 26, 2023, 6:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,466
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from chaos33
Agree, although I really like Danny Amos and there’s not too much wrong with him for a L2 left back.

Apart from his crosses are awful and don't get me started on his dead ball deliveries, oh and getting rinsed by any winger with half an ounce of pace!!..
And on from that, do we actually do any work on set pieces?..we are so incompetent its verging on being embarrassing tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
Mappers
October 26, 2023, 6:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Tommy

I agree with this.
I think Efete defends quite well in 1v1 situations because he has the physical attributes (pace, strength) to ensure he's not easily beaten, or can recover well. But he's often out or position, not aware of where players are or the dangers around him, making him slow or late to react to danger a lot of the time.

Attacking wise, again, Efete has the physical attributes to be able to get up and down the line supporting the winger or breaking forward, but IMO (and I don't want to sound brutal but can't sugar-coat it) he's pretty awful with his decision-making in terms of when to pass it, where to pass it, and especially his crossing which has always been really bad. For instance I couldn't see Efete putting in that quality cross Mullarkey did for Rose's goal at Bradford.

I'm not writing Mullarkey off yet but we need better than our other 3 full backs if we are to compete at this level.

Always thought Michee is one of those types that's  better when he doesn't have time to think , especially when in the opposing half - even when on the ball ,give him a bit of time and he will invariably role it backwards - second half Tuesday when the handbrake was off he went on a couple of barnstorming runs .

I agree though about his concentration and positional play ,but with his physical attributes he wouldn't be a league 2/NL player if he had those would he Tommy . Unfortunately they are attributes that probably won't improve .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 98
chaos33
October 26, 2023, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Apart from his crosses are awful and don't get me started on his dead ball deliveries, oh and getting rinsed by any winger with half an ounce of pace!!..
And on from that, do we actually do any work on set pieces?..we are so incompetent its verging on being embarrassing tbh

Fair play if that’s your view but it’s a bit harsh. I would say it’s more fair to say that his crossing is inconsistent, as is his dead ball delivery at times, and he’s not super quick, but, you know, if he was consistently great in those areas he wouldn’t be a L2 footballer.
I think he’s fully committed, fit, strong, technically ok and positionally solid. Full backs get done all the time. At every level. You can’t hold him fully responsible for ‘defensive unit’ shortcomings. Check out his cross field ball in the Bradford away game, leading to our goal or his whipped hit last season against Luton for the third goal. He isn’t flawless. Nobody is in L2 is. He’s basically steady away, and he absolutely gives his all, at all times. I’m behind players like that. He’s invested. He’s committed. The squad needs more players with that spirit. That buy-in. There are weaker links.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
grimsby pete
October 26, 2023, 11:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Yes but apart from that he is not bad is he ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
Norseman
October 27, 2023, 12:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Hagrid

I agree with this, Some fans have their mind made up on Efete but for me, he walks into the side over Mullarkey

Efete wouldn't walk into my Sunday league side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
1mickylyons
October 27, 2023, 7:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
I still think our strongest left side is Amos LB with Glennon LM we might then see some decent crosses for Rose and Wilson to attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 98
Hagrid
October 27, 2023, 8:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,420
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Norseman

Efete wouldn't walk into my Sunday league side

Pathetic comment
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.