Northbank Mariner
October 27, 2023, 12:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from chaos33

Fair play if that’s your view but it’s a bit harsh. I would say it’s more fair to say that his crossing is inconsistent, as is his dead ball delivery at times, and he’s not super quick, but, you know, if he was consistently great in those areas he wouldn’t be a L2 footballer.
I think he’s fully committed, fit, strong, technically ok and positionally solid. Full backs get done all the time. At every level. You can’t hold him fully responsible for ‘defensive unit’ shortcomings. Check out his cross field ball in the Bradford away game, leading to our goal or his whipped hit last season against Luton for the third goal. He isn’t flawless. Nobody is in L2 is. He’s basically steady away, and he absolutely gives his all, at all times. I’m behind players like that. He’s invested. He’s committed. The squad needs more players with that spirit. That buy-in. There are weaker links.

I can't disagree with your opinion of Amos, I actually think defensively hes better than Glennon, just think offensively he's not as good.
And I'd go as far as to say I'm not sure he's a competent league 2 defender, NL yes, but EFL, I'm not so sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 98
October 27, 2023, 2:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from Norseman

Efete wouldn't walk into my Sunday league side

Ridiculous statement.

Reply: 91 - 98
Maringer
October 27, 2023, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Amos has his off days and his fitness had always been a bit suspect to me - he was blowing out his backside after 70 minutes on Tuesday, though he hasn't been long back from injury. He's OK and I think he's better defensively than Glennon. That shanked shot was criminal the other night, though. He had a lot of goal to aim for and missed by three yards (I think the shot was the right option intthat position, but not the execution).

Efete is a decent enough full-back defensively when he's one on one as he's quick and strong, but as others have mentioned, he does have the odd lapse in concentration. He's also pretty quick and sometimes goes on a good forward run but the problem is that his passing and crossing is so poor. On Tuesday, I actually remarked when he put in a good cross in the second half, because he so rarely does so when in a good position! I suspect the fact that he's not great at crossing explains why he tends to cut it back so often when in advanced areas. He actually does quite well as one of a back three sometimes, especially if there is a physical threat for him to complete against. However, Mullarkey is obviously not a wing-back.

These two are our best full-backs defensively speaking, but both relatively limited. If its going to be a battle against relegation, they'll probably be the best options, but hopefully that won't be necessary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 98
Norseman
October 27, 2023, 11:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Hagrid

Pathetic comment

True though as I pick the Sunday league team 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 98
Norseman
October 27, 2023, 11:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from 123614

Ridiculous statement.

I accept you might know a little about ridiculous statements as you publish so many of them on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 98
Heisenberg
October 28, 2023, 12:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I still think our strongest left side is Amos LB with Glennon LM we might then see some decent crosses for Rose and Wilson to attack.

I have wondered this myself for a few weeks now as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 98
Mappers
October 28, 2023, 6:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Maringer
Amos has his off days and his fitness had always been a bit suspect to me - he was blowing out his backside after 70 minutes on Tuesday, though he hasn't been long back from injury. He's OK and I think he's better defensively than Glennon. That shanked shot was criminal the other night, though. He had a lot of goal to aim for and missed by three yards (I think the shot was the right option intthat position, but not the execution).

Efete is a decent enough full-back defensively when he's one on one as he's quick and strong, but as others have mentioned, he does have the odd lapse in concentration. He's also pretty quick and sometimes goes on a good forward run but the problem is that his passing and crossing is so poor. On Tuesday, I actually remarked when he put in a good cross in the second half, because he so rarely does so when in a good position! I suspect the fact that he's not great at crossing explains why he tends to cut it back so often when in advanced areas. He actually does quite well as one of a back three sometimes, especially if there is a physical threat for him to complete against. However, Mullarkey is obviously not a wing-back.

These two are our best full-backs defensively speaking, but both relatively limited. If its going to be a battle against relegation, they'll probably be the best options, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

The shot was the completely wrong decision imo , he had what 4 or 5 players waiting for a tap in , slightly more awareness(he didn't get his head up I don't think) +  composure and we have a tap in - pretty much summed up where we are at the moment .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 98
Maringer
October 28, 2023, 7:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Nah, I reckon a shot on goal was the best/easiest option. I seem to recall they had a couple of players close to the near post so a cross wouldn't have been completely straightforward whereas a smash at goal there was. He was forced a little wider than necessary by the pass, but still had lots to aim at. Completely shanked it, unfortunately. I sit right I'm the middle of the upper Findus so perhaps have a different viewpoint to many. That said, the guy next to me thought he should have crossed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 98
October 28, 2023, 10:37am
Guest User
Quoted from Norseman

I accept you might know a little about ridiculous statements as you publish so many of them on here

Quote some, or are you one of the many 'Bash the Bear' idiots?  The last person who posted something similar I asked him to quote me one post, I'm still waiting.  I just can't take you seriously when you say a League 2 Pro Footballer wouldn't get in your Sunday League side, so funny.  LOL!
Reply: 98 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.