Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › the Big Match thread
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

the Big Match thread

This thread currently has 15,112 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
October 11, 2023, 7:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
A few years ago I started the biggest campaign so far for this cup the be abolished from the moment Prem teams were allowed to enter it. I’d never watch a game that involved us in it, I don’t care a single bit about it.

However, despite all of this, I do care about the fact we continue to make a habit of playing poorly in it. We’ve put out a strong team last night and yet again our players have left the field having lost a football match, that cannot be good for anybody.

If Hurst says he’s struggling to get better players to do what he wants them to do, then I’m afraid that’s on him and it’s quite a concerning state of affairs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 167
1mickylyons
October 11, 2023, 7:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from aldi_01
Ah, I see, we played tonight, in a competition nobody cares about.

Who gives a flipping rats bottom whether we won 30-0 or lost 30-0. Tonight’s game was nothing more than a friendly. This complete over reaction to a defeat of any kind is tiring to be honest, even more so in a game that literally doesn’t matter…

Ordinarily I'd agree with your post but worryingly we had a lot of first teamers and squad players on the field who got run ragged.Surely this dead rubber should have been used in a more productive way? The defeat doesn't matter but the performance was abject. My biggest worry if it carries on and Hurst goes is the brains trust appoint Doig.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 167
It Bites
October 11, 2023, 7:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,207
Gold Stars: 266
Devils advocate

If Hurst can’t get the defence right are we right to worry about midfield and up front ?
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 167
It Bites
October 11, 2023, 7:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,207
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Ordinarily I'd agree with your post but worryingly we had a lot of first teamers and squad players on the field who got run ragged.Surely this dead rubber should have been used in a more productive way? The defeat doesn't matter but the performance was abject. My biggest worry if it carries on and Hurst goes is the brains trust appoint Doig.

There in lies the problem mate . I don’t think the new owners have the nerve to sack Hurst  . Fear of picking the wrong manager will keep pH in a job for a long time
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 167
1mickylyons
October 11, 2023, 7:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from It Bites
Devils advocate

If Hurst can’t get the defence right are we right to worry about midfield and up front ?

On midfielders both Hunt and Conteh looked far better at the start of there Town careers they both look like they're playing in treacle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 167
aldi_01
October 11, 2023, 7:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How many more games would you give Hurst to turn this around?

We seem to have several players who don’t appear to be giving their all and that’s never a good thing.

As many as it takes. Those managers people claim to be good yet never name are all out of work for a reason.

Perhaps players are taking longer to gel, perhaps injuries in key areas has done us but if there’s one thing fans and the club should’ve learned, or need to, is that swapping managers willynilly like previously has only ever hurt us. No coincidence that our most settled/successful period of the last 20 odd years has come when we’ve had a consistent manager.

Still, people want rid because he cupped his ear and apparently doesn’t make subs at the right time…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 167
Maringer
October 11, 2023, 7:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
It would be immensely stupid to sack Hurst now. Immensely stupid.

Stockwood and Co don't strike me as being immensely stupid owners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 167
MuddyWaters
October 11, 2023, 7:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from aldi_01

As many as it takes. Those managers people claim to be good yet never name are all out of work for a reason.

Perhaps players are taking longer to gel, perhaps injuries in key areas has done us but if there’s one thing fans and the club should’ve learned, or need to, is that swapping managers willynilly like previously has only ever hurt us. No coincidence that our most settled/successful period of the last 20 odd years has come when we’ve had a consistent manager.

Still, people want rid because he cupped his ear and apparently doesn’t make subs at the right time…

No. I think most fans just want to see players of undoubted ability settling into a formation and winning football matches. To be honest, I think many of us have given up hope of being entertained.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 167
Hagrid
October 11, 2023, 8:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Didnt watch last night and dont care about the competition but looked a strongish side and not ideal to lose again

Reading through the comments, looks a few saying a lack of effort from the players. When do they start saddling some of the blame? Isnt always on PH. If you don’t give 100% every time you step on the pitch, then thats on you as a player.

As long as we win saturday, thats all i care about
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 167
Stew0_0
October 11, 2023, 8:11am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Not that this game meant anything to us and actually relieved we are out of this cup now. But a few things still bother me about last night.

A. What was the line up and team selection about. Yes we have injuries but playing a left side Maher at Right back, Efete uses his left foot to stand on yet was at Left back. Swap them over so they can use there natural foot. Then second half we bring on a tall young striker (Gardner) and put him left wing. The substitutions in general were strange.

B. Too often we got out-muscled by Bradford and there 2nd goal optimised that, especially the weak a$$ed tackle attempt by Eisa to put his foot through it. Pyke put in as little effort as possible and I've seen stronger biscuits in a cup of coffee.

C. When we were trailing why did we not push on more to try to get back in the game. The substitutions weakened us and we didn't change formation to get back in the game. For once I would like to see Hurst be positive and take the game to the opposition, especially at home.

Overall a frustrating night that confirms we have a competitive starting 11 but give the fringe players a run in the team and we have no strength in depth at all. Cartwright will never displace Eastwood, Hunt for me still needs masses of improvement and Pyke looks like he's a level or 2 below EFL standard.

One plus point for me, Jamie Bramwell looks like he's got a chance in the game. Played well especially in the 1st half, is a good size for his ago and looks one for the future
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 167
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › the Big Match thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.