17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerjase
October 13, 2023, 8:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
Just a point on the above..(I know it won’t happen and I’m not advocating that Hurst goes btw) - but Pete Wild brought a team to BP a week or so back and their football was far better than we’ve produced..

My other point ..or question…how long is the ‘he got us to an FA Cup quarter final’ line allowed to be used as a retort ? That was then…football is about the here and now..genuine question I’ve asked before but if we’re lingering in 17th or thereabouts coming up to Christmas..surely alarm bells should be starting to ring?? (Hypothetical I know)

Again I’m not saying Hurst out by any means - but those thinking otherwise have valid concerns..as expressed on this thread - and not all those come into the bracket certain posters describe them as.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 167
October 13, 2023, 9:47am
Guest User
Quoted from marinerjase
Just a point on the above..(I know it won’t happen and I’m not advocating that Hurst goes btw) - but Pete Wild brought a team to BP a week or so back and their football was far better than we’ve produced..

My other point ..or question…how long is the ‘he got us to an FA Cup quarter final’ line allowed to be used as a retort ? That was then…football is about the here and now..genuine question I’ve asked before but if we’re lingering in 17th or thereabouts coming up to Christmas..surely alarm bells should be starting to ring?? (Hypothetical I know)

Again I’m not saying Hurst out by any means - but those thinking otherwise have valid concerns..as expressed on this thread - and not all those come into the bracket certain posters describe them as.

I understand what you're saying, but look at it this way: we've just had two incredible seasons with PH at the helm, and now - as soon as
things get sticky - he gets his P45 (hypothetically - it's not going to happen btw).
With that on the club's CV we're going to find it difficult to recruit quality management surely?

GTFC - a club that's loyal to its manager provided he produces incredible seasons every season. Tough gig, that one.

The earlier post pointing out that there'll be a stream of young hopeful managers for any Town vacancy is correct, and that scares me.
We're more likely to get relegated with a keen, ambitious young manager cutting his teeth in L2 (and potentially finding it too difficult)
than we are with Paul Hurst.
Our owners claim no great wisdom in footballing matters, but it would fall on them to find the next incumbent.

The flip side is that Hurst won't be out of a job for very long unless he wants to be.

"Be careful what you wish for" would be my advice to those fans wanting a new manager.

The Japanese version is: "Whom the Gods seek to punish, they make their dreams come true".

Reply: 141 - 167
diehardmariner
October 13, 2023, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Agree with Jase, especially on Pete Wild.  Long thought he's a decent manager, operates well above his means and I thought his Barrow side were heads and shoulders above us.  In the highly unlikely that Hurst walked/is sacked today, Wild would be one name I would want to be at the top of the list.  Equally so I would hope that we would be as proactive in headhunting someone as opposed to just waiting for the usual merry-go-round losers to apply.  

I think right now at this moment in time, Hurst is fortunate that this summer saw very good season ticket sales.  Because if we were reliant on match-by-match purchases the attendances would be shocking, only getting worse as we go into winter.

Of course there's the argument that what he's been part of in the last two years is the reason sales were so high.  But in the absence of a cup run this season and if we end up with another flat and uninspiring mid-season finish, I don't think he'll have that safety net next summer.

Times are hard, committing to a single ticket is a lot for folk. Never mind a season ticket.  If people aren't enjoying it, they'll simply stop going.

I absolutely get the 'careful what you wish for' line.  We've been burnt before.  Universally the appointment of Marcus Bignot seemed exciting, especially after Hurst's pragmatic approach.  We all got sucked in by Holloway's charm too.  The grass definitely isn't always greener.  But if our reason for not progressing is because Hurst is a safe hands then we need to reevaluate the ethos of the club regards continuous improvement.
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 167
sam gy
October 13, 2023, 10:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
People talk about how long can PH dine out on promotions, fa cup runs and the clubs best league position in god knows how long, like they didn’t happen LITERALLY the season before and the one before that.

Also, how come it’s ok for Pete Wild to have a team that plays great but ultimately loses, but when that happens to us it’s still Hurst out??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 167
diehardmariner
October 13, 2023, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
When have we played great?

Or, more to the point, who has said they're a fan of Wild and want Hurst out?
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 167
Limerick Mariner
October 13, 2023, 12:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Would Wild come to us? The bigger club thing doesn’t work anymore because owner resources are what counts rather than extra clicks at the turnstiles. Our reputation as a club has been enhanced by the current owners but to the wider football world we still look like a club that’s been yo-yoing between mid / lower L2 and NL for years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 167
sam gy
October 13, 2023, 12:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from diehardmariner
When have we played great?

Or, more to the point, who has said they're a fan of Wild and want Hurst out?

I think we've played well and not come away with a win on a fair few occasions this season, but each to their own.

And yes, you're right i have absolutely never heard anyone say they want Hurst out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 167
diehardmariner
October 13, 2023, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
But that's not what you said is it?  Nor is it what I said.

Cup games aside, I can't remember when we last played 'great'.  Maybe Crewe away when McAtee and Lloyd destroyed a very, very poor side?

If we were playing great and still losing then I think the argument against anyone wanting Hurst out would be stronger.  It's getting harder and harder to argue against it though when we're 18th in the table, more or less the same points from the play-offs to the relegation spots (which was the theme of last season) and bloody awful to watch.
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 167
Rodley Mariner
October 13, 2023, 1:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Wild has done a good job at Barrow but he hasn't done it on a total shoestring.

Also worth pointing out that Barrow finished a whole point above us last season and are a whole two points ahead of us this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 167
MuddyWaters
October 13, 2023, 1:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from sam gy

I think we've played well and not come away with a win on a fair few occasions this season, but each to their own.

And yes, you're right i have absolutely never heard anyone say they want Hurst out.

I think we played pretty well in the first couple of games and again against Mansfield at home. Beyond that, we've played ok in parts of games.

Regarding Hurst, I think the debate is how long is his free pass for promotion and the Cup run. Given his recent comments about attitude and mentality, I'm wondering if the coaching team are pushing one or two a little too hard.
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › the Big Match thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.