Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

the Big Match thread

This thread currently has 14,967 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
October 12, 2023, 2:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner
It's entirely possible to not be frothing at the mouth to want Hurst sacked yet be disappointed and upset with how things are going, indeed vocalising that too.  

I find it a bit tiresome this constant divide of so called Happy Clappers and those that want to march Hurst out of the town.  Are we really so robotic in our opinions that it can only be one or the other?

I like Hurst and I think he's a good fit for us, as we are for him.  But this season is rapidly in danger of becoming a huge disappointment.  I tuned in for the second half of the Bradford game and it was utterly woeful.  Yes, it's a competition we all hate and without doubt it's a competition that I think we're all probably glad we're out of.  But that performance was one of a team who had just met 10 minutes before kick-off, had gone out with no instruction and didn't really care about the outcome.

I do agree that it must be harder to motivate yourself for some of these games, especially a dead rubber like this. Equally so I don't think there's a single player in our squad who will go out there and not give everything.  Added to that it would be the most un-Paul Hurst thing ever to send his team out without specific instruction.

Yet something isn't adding up.  There was (and if we're going to honest, it isn't something new) a complete lack of an identify to our play.  It's just random, 11 guys out there in positions and we're hoping something comes off.  

At the absolute heart of my frustration is that we had this style of play in pre-season and the first few games, yet we then ditched it.  I got on board with that style of play, it was something I really felt I would enjoy this season and at the first opportunity it's gone.  We've brought in players to play that specific system.  Conteh, just one example, is absolutely wasted as simply a screener of the back-four.  He was brought in because of how he controls play, draws others in, creates space, recycles the ball in a pro-active manner, a whole range of attributes to his game that help us play in a certain style of play.  I would rather we didn't bother bringing in those type players if we're just going to end up reverting to type.  

On another thread I've sympathised with the injuries to key players that are key to this system.  But it's far too naïve to expect that players don't get injured or lose form.  But you can't just abandon your system at the first hurdle.  

Splendid post which prised a gold star from tight-fisted me.

The only thing I would add is that having hugely disappointing seasons is part and parcel of being a football fan.
No doubt Manchester City fans will be disappointed if they don't win the Premiership this season, and Southampton fans have had
five disappointing seasons in the Prem, and may be about to have another in the Championship.

It's understandable if fans want to moan about it - but it's a bit absurd (to my way of thinking at any rate) to be having tantrums
and calling for the manager to be sacked (usually without a clear idea of who we can replace him with that would be any better).
I feel Town fans could be a bit more stoic, and take any disappointment on the chin given the last two seasons we've had under PH.

It's not a disappointing season yet anyway, more of an underwhelming start...though that's partly due to the higher expectations
Paul Hurst has helped generate by performing wonders.

Reply: 130 - 167
cannylad65
October 12, 2023, 2:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
DiehardMariner

Conteh, just one example, is absolutely wasted as simply a screener of the back-four.

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm sure he would be better used further forward.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 167
October 12, 2023, 3:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Pehaps we should have player our best Right Back as a Left Back, a player who spent most of last season playing Left Back at Center Back, and our best Center Back as Right Back.............

.........Oh bu99er we did !

Don't you stop a minute and think WHY he played those players in those positions.  I don't know why, but I would hazzard a guess that PH had a genuine reason for doing that.  I doubt very much that he did it for a laugh.
Reply: 132 - 167
chaos33
October 12, 2023, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Pehaps we should have player our best Right Back as a Left Back, a player who spent most of last season playing Left Back at Center Back, and our best Center Back as Right Back.............

.........Oh bu99er we did !

Sorry, what?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 167
1mickylyons
October 12, 2023, 7:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 137

Splendid post which prised a gold star from tight-fisted me.

The only thing I would add is that having hugely disappointing seasons is part and parcel of being a football fan.
No doubt Manchester City fans will be disappointed if they don't win the Premiership this season, and Southampton fans have had
five disappointing seasons in the Prem, and may be about to have another in the Championship.

It's understandable if fans want to moan about it - but it's a bit absurd (to my way of thinking at any rate) to be having tantrums
and calling for the manager to be sacked (usually without a clear idea of who we can replace him with that would be any better).
I feel Town fans could be a bit more stoic, and take any disappointment on the chin given the last two seasons we've had under PH.

It's not a disappointing season yet anyway, more of an underwhelming start...though that's partly due to the higher expectations
Paul Hurst has helped generate by performing wonders.

Read your post and username so wondering if you've managed to get to any of the recent games? If you haven't pretty much our entire fanbase have been flat and deflated since the Gillingham game  Some might say Hurst bashing but who but he can currently do anything about sorting thi ngs? I was full of optimism before the Season started really fancied us to go well but thought we just needed a target man or goalscorer adding.Now looking at PH we need a LB,CB ,GK a couple of wide players and  still the alternative frontman? It's truly baffling personally I think he has the right players but he's putting square pegs in round holes and I've never seen his sides concede so many poor goals.The fans are flat tge players are flat and finally Hurst hi.self looks flat something is not right?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 167
lew chaterleys lover
October 12, 2023, 8:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Read your post and username so wondering if you've managed to get to any of the recent games? If you haven't pretty much our entire fanbase have been flat and deflated since the Gillingham game  Some might say Hurst bashing but who but he can currently do anything about sorting thi ngs? I was full of optimism before the Season started really fancied us to go well but thought we just needed a target man or goalscorer adding.Now looking at PH we need a LB,CB ,GK a couple of wide players and  still the alternative frontman? It's truly baffling personally I think he has the right players but he's putting square pegs in round holes and I've never seen his sides concede so many poor goals.The fans are flat tge players are flat and finally Hurst hi.self looks flat something is not right?

I reckon Hurst knows he has dropped a bollock.

Today he said something like about looking at himself and indicated it would take more time for the group of players to gel. No doubt January can't come quick enough and I just get the impression he is disappointed in the players he has brought in.

As always it is about blend; we are so short of things that matter including quick incisive passing, pace and power, striking options, creative midfield players besides some players under achieving.

I don't blame the manager in the sense he thought he was getting better players and it just hasn't clicked. Nobody knows till they are in the building and you work with them.

What the manager and coaching staff don't seem to be good at is settling on a way of playing to make it easier for players to settle and understand team mates and the system.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 167
MuddyWaters
October 12, 2023, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235

I reckon Hurst knows he has dropped a bollock.

Today he said something like about looking at himself and indicated it would take more time for the group of players to gel. No doubt January can't come quick enough and I just get the impression he is disappointed in the players he has brought in.

As always it is about blend; we are so short of things that matter including quick incisive passing, pace and power, striking options, creative midfield players besides some players under achieving.

I don't blame the manager in the sense he thought he was getting better players and it just hasn't clicked. Nobody knows till they are in the building and you work with them.

What the manager and coaching staff don't seem to be good at is settling on a way of playing to make it easier for players to settle and understand team mates and the system.

Which begs the question: does the board have the justification in looking for a manager who could gel what looks like a talented squad?

Both the board and the manager went big on how important the head of recruitment was but did we recruit who we really wanted and did we assess their ability to get on with the existing squad?

There’s been a really sensible and serious discussion on here in recent days. Clearly several of us have differing opinions about where this should go but the gravity of the conversation shows a real concern.
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 167
October 13, 2023, 3:42am
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I'm on the other side of the planet mate, so I've no real prospect of affordably visiting BP.

I get that the side are performing woefully at home, which disappoints the fans (and no doubt the manager and board too).
There have been times in the past when I've felt going to BP has been a duty rather than anticipated enjoyment, so I understand
the "flat" feeling you mention very well.

I don't see us in danger of relegation, so if Paul can't sort things out by the end of the season it is then reasonable to have the
discussion about a new manager.

That said, I like him as a manager and his strengths are a good fit for the club IMO. All managers have weaknesses.
Which brings me back to the question: "Who would you replace him with who's currently available?".

I made this point recently, and Poojah posted a list of possible names. Out of his list, the only name which held much appeal to me
was Darrell Clarke (now at Cheltenham). TBH I had to 'Wiki-research' most of them - but no-one stood out.
So who would you have now?

I just feel that after an unbelievable promotion, followed by an unbelievable FA Cup quarter-final, PH deserves the January window to
sort things out.

UTM
Reply: 137 - 167
October 13, 2023, 5:29am
Guest User
Bradford are looking for a manager right now.

The bookmakers list:

Kevin McDonald (current Bradford player) 5/4
Neil Redfearn 7/2
Leam Richardson 6/1
Pete Wild 12/1
Karl Robinson 12/1
Danny Cowley 12/1
Steve Thompson 12/1
Nathan Jones 16/1
Neil Warnock 16/1

We can forget the last two.

Steve Thompson and Neil Redfearn have resigned as the caretaker management duo at Oldham ahead of an expected new
managerial appointment. So not considered good enough for the National League side.

I don't see any of Pete Wild, Karl Robinson and Danny Cowley as likely to offer more entertaining football.

Which leaves Leam Richardson as the only plausible candidate in my view...unless either Bradford or Oldham appoint him.

Of course we're not restricted to the Bradford betting list, but managers who get points playing an attractive style of football
are not plentiful.

But as I mentioned in the previous post - I don't think we should be considering this at all at the present time.
Reply: 138 - 167
lew chaterleys lover
October 13, 2023, 8:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 137
Bradford are looking for a manager right now.

The bookmakers list:

Kevin McDonald (current Bradford player) 5/4
Neil Redfearn 7/2
Leam Richardson 6/1
Pete Wild 12/1
Karl Robinson 12/1
Danny Cowley 12/1
Steve Thompson 12/1
Nathan Jones 16/1
Neil Warnock 16/1

We can forget the last two.

Steve Thompson and Neil Redfearn have resigned as the caretaker management duo at Oldham ahead of an expected new
managerial appointment. So not considered good enough for the National League side.

I don't see any of Pete Wild, Karl Robinson and Danny Cowley as likely to offer more entertaining football.

Which leaves Leam Richardson as the only plausible candidate in my view...unless either Bradford or Oldham appoint him.

Of course we're not restricted to the Bradford betting list, but managers who get points playing an attractive style of football
are not plentiful.

But as I mentioned in the previous post - I don't think we should be considering this at all at the present time.

When the time comes there will be a queue of forward thinking ambitious young and not so young managers eager to take on the job. Even under Fenty we had good names, but most quickly got disillusioned, but with these owners it would be a dream job for an ambitious manager.

All conjecture as we know the owners see PH as a vital part of their project and it would take a cataclysmic decline in our fortunes for them to let him go.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › the Big Match thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.