15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
CSLM
September 12, 2023, 2:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
People don't think it's offensive to mistake black people for another. It absolutely is. It fits into that racist stereotype of people of a different race all looking the same, which is completely unacceptable. You should be recognised for you abilities and talents as a person. I hate that I have to spell that out.

When I see people deny it is offensive, I just read it that people feel that and defend that like it's acceptable. Bloody uncomfortable reading.

What about Rose, Clifton and Holohan getting mistaken for each other as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Is that racist?
If that was done by someone who wasn't white would that be racist?

I'm not doubting racism is still a huge problem but I don't agree that it is relevant in these circumstances.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 144
Azimuth
September 12, 2023, 2:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from ginnywings

Asian descent, yes.

Decent Asian, no.  

Decent or not he is still Asian Descent, with seven member of the cabinet of minority ethnic backgrounds, so whatever your views to call the government Racist is a ill informed and utterly ridiculous statement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 144
Madeleymariner
September 12, 2023, 3:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Interesting about Asian on Asian racists. It happens, Previous holiday in Sri Lanka, Indian customer at hotel hurled all sorts of abuse at a Tamil waiter who got an order wrong and it related to his state of origin (South India)/religion/caste what was being said. Theres racists among every race and just because you are black/asian/other from one country does not mean you cannot be racist re. people of similar skin colour/continent etc. Is Rishi racist ? who knows, its not obvious if he is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 144
Maringer
September 12, 2023, 4:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Azimuth

Decent or not he is still Asian Descent, with seven member of the cabinet of minority ethnic backgrounds, so whatever your views to call the government Racist is a ill informed and utterly ridiculous statement.

Their rhetoric is racist, as are many of their policies. It doesn't matter what creed or colour the people running the show are, it's their actions that count.

Recent example:

https://www.theguardian.com/po.....ination-report-finds

The Voter ID law (which wasn't necessary, given the vanishingly small number of cases of voter fraud in this country), has led to a greater risk of ethnic minorities being disenfranchised than white voters. Do the ethnic minority politicians in the government care about this? Of course not! They passed the law to deliberately suppress the vote of those who are never likely to vote Tory. They don't care who gets disenfranchised as long as they aren't losing more votes than the opposition. If it turns out that the law discriminates against ethnic minorities, so be it, as far as they are concerned. That's a racist policy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 144
September 12, 2023, 4:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

Their rhetoric is racist, as are many of their policies. It doesn't matter what creed or colour the people running the show are, it's their actions that count.

Recent example:

https://www.theguardian.com/po.....ination-report-finds

The Voter ID law (which wasn't necessary, given the vanishingly small number of cases of voter fraud in this country), has led to a greater risk of ethnic minorities being disenfranchised than white voters. Do the ethnic minority politicians in the government care about this? Of course not! They passed the law to deliberately suppress the vote of those who are never likely to vote Tory. They don't care who gets disenfranchised as long as they aren't losing more votes than the opposition. If it turns out that the law discriminates against ethnic minorities, so be it, as far as they are concerned. That's a racist policy.

If! So in one sentence you say they passed the law to 'deliberately suppress those who are never likely to vote Tory'.   But in another, you say IF it turns out that the law discriminates against ethnic minorities, so be it, as far as they are concerned.  So you don't really know who might not vote Tory, and neither do the Government.

Reply: 94 - 144
ginnywings
September 12, 2023, 4:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Azimuth

You carry on telling yourself that, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary, so I'm not as ill informed as you suggest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 144
AncientExiledMariner
September 12, 2023, 4:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59

It's not in the least offensive, it is a case of mistaken identity as has been described. You are looking for something that isn't there. If any of our players receives or complains of any racist behaviour from anyone at the club or fans then it is unacceptable and they will face the consequences.

There has been countless occasions I can remember a white player being castigated by someone in the crowd only for someone to tell them they've got the wrong player.

It's always interesting when you see English folk trying to say what is or isn't racism. Or that it doesn't exist. Often it's subtle, and you don't experience it. I've heard the other side and have many friends that have experience it. It's not the constant throwing around of words, it's being treated different. Being held to a different standard.

Mistaken identity happens, but it happens more frequently for black players. Many black people in many walks of life talk about how deflating it is to get called the name of another black person. Sometimes there is no effort to learn names, to see the person behind. Sometimes it's intentional. Keep arguing and debating. We can pretend racism doesn't exist...

A little context outside football: https://www.theguardian.com/po.....th-other-politicians

Countless other examples.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 144
September 12, 2023, 4:42pm
Guest User
Back in 1969 when I joined the Army, we had a black guy in our Platoon who ended up becoming one of my best mates.  In the Army EVERONE gets a nickname, his was Snowball, which he had no problem answering too,  He still answered to it 40 years later when we met at annual reunions.  My nickname was Camel, I took no offence to that whatsoever, another mate hade the pleasure of being called Donkey, again no problem for him.  I remember a couple of guys who were Scottish and were given the nickname Jock!  Should any of these be called racist?  No, they shouldn't, they were not meant to ridicule anyone, they were simply pet names for our friends.
Reply: 97 - 144
SpiritOf98
September 12, 2023, 4:54pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
My nickname was Camel, I took no offence to that whatsoever..

Damn, a reference to not taking the hump would have had me smashing the Gold Star button for that post..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 144
lew chaterleys lover
September 12, 2023, 5:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237

It's always interesting when you see English folk trying to say what is or isn't racism. Or that it doesn't exist. Often it's subtle, and you don't experience it. I've heard the other side and have many friends that have experience it. It's not the constant throwing around of words, it's being treated different. Being held to a different standard.

Mistaken identity happens, but it happens more frequently for black players. Many black people in many walks of life talk about how deflating it is to get called the name of another black person. Sometimes there is no effort to learn names, to see the person behind. Sometimes it's intentional. Keep arguing and debating. We can pretend racism doesn't exist...

A little context outside football: https://www.theguardian.com/po.....th-other-politicians

Countless other examples.

I'm not arguing there isn't racism which obviously happens all over the world to every colour race and creed.

What I am arguing for is some reasonableness in that during a 4th division football match some fans who weren't up to speed on all the new players and mistook one player for another. No racism was meant nor perceived. No offence of any kind was committed yet according to some that isn't enough. Its subtle racism, under the radar racism but it's not, it is just mistaken identity, just as you mistook me for an English white man.

OK, I am an English white man but had I not been I certainly wouldn't be calling you out as a racist because I would have a sense of proportion about it.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sectarian Chanting

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.