Hagrid
September 12, 2023, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from 123614
Back in 1969 when I joined the Army, we had a black guy in our Platoon who ended up becoming one of my best mates.  In the Army EVERONE gets a nickname, his was Snowball, which he had no problem answering too,  He still answered to it 40 years later when we met at annual reunions.  My nickname was Camel, I took no offence to that whatsoever, another mate hade the pleasure of being called Donkey, again no problem for him.  I remember a couple of guys who were Scottish and were given the nickname Jock!  Should any of these be called racist?  No, they shouldn't, they were not meant to ridicule anyone, they were simply pet names for our friends.

Camel and Donkey, were you recreating the birth of Christ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 144
Yarborough Vaults
September 12, 2023, 5:28pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32

It's always interesting when you see English folk trying to say what is or isn't racism. Or that it doesn't exist. Often it's subtle, and you don't experience it. I've heard the other side and have many friends that have experience it. It's not the constant throwing around of words, it's being treated different. Being held to a different standard.

Mistaken identity happens, but it happens more frequently for black players. Many black people in many walks of life talk about how deflating it is to get called the name of another black person. Sometimes there is no effort to learn names, to see the person behind. Sometimes it's intentional. Keep arguing and debating. We can pretend racism doesn't exist...

A little context outside football: https://www.theguardian.com/po.....th-other-politicians

Countless other examples.

Apologies for adding to what has become a rather silly thread but should point out you've made a racist statement yourself there. You've presumed and then stated that 'English folk' are white. That is the basis of the racist thought process you're lecturing everyone else about.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 144
ska face
September 12, 2023, 5:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Hagrid

Camel and Donkey, were you recreating the birth of Christ?

Sounds like they might’ve struggled to find 3 wise men.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 144
Maringer
September 12, 2023, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,537
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 123614

If! So in one sentence you say they passed the law to 'deliberately suppress those who are never likely to vote Tory'.   But in another, you say IF it turns out that the law discriminates against ethnic minorities, so be it, as far as they are concerned.  So you don't really know who might not vote Tory, and neither do the Government.

The report indicates that the law discriminates against ethnic minorities. And everyone knew this would be the case before it was passed. Polling doesn't lie and we've got a very good grasp of which way ethnic groups will vote in any given election. The second if what a rhetorical device. To make it clearer for you:

WHEN you pass a law which you know will be discriminatory against some ethnic groups, even as a side effect of the intent, it's a racist law.

Still amazes me how many people are happy to endlessly punch down or defend those politicians who punch downwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 144
cardiffmariner
September 12, 2023, 9:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
For those who can be bothered, do a bit of reading on the ‘other race effect’.

And let’s stop all this nonsense that someone who misidentifies a player of a different colour who is a good distance away and, more likely than not, moving around is automatically a racist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 144
AncientExiledMariner
September 13, 2023, 6:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Apologies for adding to what has become a rather silly thread but should point out you've made a racist statement yourself there. You've presumed and then stated that 'English folk' are white. That is the basis of the racist thought process you're lecturing everyone else about.

Areas like Grimsby, are predominantly white. I think there 1 was BAME individual in my whole school year. Statistically, on a Grimsby forum, it isn't an unreasonable assumption to make, tied with the fact the people in question think it's fine to mistake the identity of people from different backgrounds makes it pretty obvious. Secondly, any Grimsby fan justifying mistaken identity of black players is highly unlikely to to have any awareness of the experiences of people from different backgrounds.

Debating racism isn't silly. The fact you think respect for people of different backgrounds is silly says everything it needs to about you. You've gone out of your way with what you feel is a clever comment. Very motivated to shut that debate down. Does discussing the problem of racism make you uncomfortable? Would you rather people didn't talk about it at all? Are you more than happy with the status quo?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 144
AncientExiledMariner
September 13, 2023, 6:09am
Snakebite drinker

I'm not arguing there isn't racism which obviously happens all over the world to every colour race and creed.

What I am arguing for is some reasonableness in that during a 4th division football match some fans who weren't up to speed on all the new players and mistook one player for another. No racism was meant nor perceived. No offence of any kind was committed yet according to some that isn't enough. Its subtle racism, under the radar racism but it's not, it is just mistaken identity, just as you mistook me for an English white man.

OK, I am an English white man but had I not been I certainly wouldn't be calling you out as a racist because I would have a sense of proportion about it.

I didn't call you a racist. I spelled out why it was problematic as it clearly wasn't obvious to some in this thread. Re-read my post again, and you'll realise you've taken it wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 144
AncientExiledMariner
September 13, 2023, 6:12am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from cardiffmariner

And let’s stop all this nonsense that someone who misidentifies a player of a different colour who is a good distance away and, more likely than not, moving around is automatically a racist.

For someone bothered to do reading on racism, and the only material they found was that racism is fine probably needs to do a wee bit more reading.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 144
Sandford1981
September 13, 2023, 6:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Quoted from cardiffmariner

I can see why you would highlight this phenomenon as an innocent way to mistakenly identity players on a pitch. Because it’s based predominantly on facial recognition is it applicable in a situation in which someone is too far away, to see facial features and reliance for recognition is based purely on running gait and playing style? (Thanks Knut)

Applied superficially I can see the merit in your point but equally, I’m not sure the ‘other race effect’ is a particularly good example to use here, given the fact that racism can play it’s part in its origins too.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 144
Humbercod
September 13, 2023, 8:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
I think some people just go looking for racism! Misidentifying a black player is now racist FFS!
The fishy hand wringing liberals reach a whole new level of wokeism.🤣

As the brilliant Morgan Freeman once said when asked how to stop racism…. “Stop talking about it!”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sectarian Chanting

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.