15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
September 13, 2023, 9:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,720
Gold Stars: 237

I didn't call you a racist. I spelled out why it was problematic as it clearly wasn't obvious to some in this thread. Re-read my post again, and you'll realise you've taken it wrong.

It's not problematic because it is a case of mistaken identity.

You keep banging on about it being problematic but there has not been any case of racism reported, and obviously it is illegal and would be dealt with by the authorities if there ever was a case reported.

You seem to be fighting a non existent battle because Grimsby is "predominantly white" and therefore you seem to feel we should be made aware of our inner racism for some bizarre reason.

I for one am not standing for it. Its people like you who are looking for things that are not there, trying to make normal decent people feel they are walking a tightrope without any sense of proportion.

Private Message
Reply: 110 - 144
rancido
September 13, 2023, 9:55am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96

It's not problematic because it is a case of mistaken identity.

You keep banging on about it being problematic but there has not been any case of racism reported, and obviously it is illegal and would be dealt with by the authorities if there ever was a case reported.

You seem to be fighting a non existent battle because Grimsby is "predominantly white" and therefore you seem to feel we should be made aware of our inner racism for some bizarre reason.

I for one am not standing for it. Its people like you who are looking for things that are not there, trying to make normal decent people feel they are walking a tightrope without any sense of proportion.

This is what really annoys me when ever the subject of "racism" is raised. It seems to be almost a taken conclusion that because I am white and live in a predominantly white environment then I have no real concept of what racism is and that I have an inherent racist tendency. This is so wrong. It also seems to be that only non-white people can be subjected to racism from white people. Again this is also so wrong. Racism exists everywhere and is not exclusive to the white and non- white argument. It exists between white people of different nationalities as well. Is there not a racist element to the anti English feeling by Scottish people? There is animosity between the Flemish and Walloon communities in Belgium - is this racism or just animosity between two different cultures within one country?
In my local social club I hear constant racist remarks as regards Eastern Europeans , Lithuanians, Poles etc - taking our jobs, getting priority in social housing, benefits and so on. This is a club whose members are predominantly working class and Labour voters, so not your "typical" right wing extremists.
I am a realist by nature and whilst this will be controversial I don't think you will ever remove racism regardless of what is ever done to do so. There exists in all societies and countries , groups of people who will always feel distrust or resentment towards those of a different colour, nationality or language.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 144
Sandford1981
September 13, 2023, 10:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Humbercod
I think some people just go looking for racism! Misidentifying a black player is now racist FFS!
The fishy hand wringing liberals reach a whole new level of wokeism.🤣

As the brilliant Morgan Freeman once said when asked how to stop racism…. “Stop talking about it!”

I know your being a little mischievous here Humb but I’ll humour you.
Morgan Freeman is brilliant as an actor but the notion a problem goes away by not talking about it is unbelievably naive at best and at worst ridiculously stupid.
Racism by enlarge is an ignorance issue and more ignorance doesn’t solve it or many other things either but you know that!😉

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 144
cardiffmariner
September 13, 2023, 11:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24

For someone bothered to do reading on racism, and the only material they found was that racism is fine probably needs to do a wee bit more reading.

That's right, all the research done into this neurological quirk is a smokescreen so we can all be racist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 144
cardiffmariner
September 13, 2023, 11:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from Sandford1981

I can see why you would highlight this phenomenon as an innocent way to mistakenly identity players on a pitch. Because it’s based predominantly on facial recognition is it applicable in a situation in which someone is too far away, to see facial features and reliance for recognition is based purely on running gait and playing style? (Thanks Knut)

Applied superficially I can see the merit in your point but equally, I’m not sure the ‘other race effect’ is a particularly good example to use here, given the fact that racism can play it’s part in its origins too.

Fair point Sandford and I don't know if it applies in this scenario. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the 'other race effect' is a get out for those who display racist behaviour, but it is a generally accepted feature of all humans from all backgrounds.

The wider point I was trying to highlight is the nuances that exist in discussions like this and that are ignored. The arguments put forward by some here are so simplistic and reductionist as to be unhelpful, and possibly even damaging in relation to reasoned and open debate on a topic such as this. A feature of our time that just leads to people taking entrenched positions on both sides.

Personally, I can't see enough evidence here to justify one poster intimating another is a racist.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 144
ginnywings
September 13, 2023, 11:34am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548

I've been going to BP for over 60 years and have never heard any fan make a racist comment, casual or otherwise in a conversation.

Hot heads as in this current guise will always be hot heads but I don't think that tars anybody else.

Ask Aswad Thomas and Toto Nsiala if they have heard any.

Think that falls into your 60 year timeline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 144
Sandford1981
September 13, 2023, 12:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from cardiffmariner

[b][/b]
The wider point I was trying to highlight is the nuances that exist in discussions like this and that are ignored. The arguments put forward by some here are so simplistic and reductionist as to be unhelpful, and possibly even damaging in relation to reasoned and open debate on a topic such as this. A feature of our time that just leads to people taking entrenched positions on both sides.

I think this is an excellent point and one I totally agree with. It pervades all subjects across all walks of life sadly and it does inhibit progressive discussion and debate.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 144
mariner91
September 13, 2023, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,653
Gold Stars: 262

I've been going to BP for over 60 years and have never heard any fan make a racist comment, casual or otherwise in a conversation.

Hot heads as in this current guise will always be hot heads but I don't think that tars anybody else.

Was at Brighton rather than BP but I heard some helmet shout at Mitoma that he was a "slant eyed cünt" or some variation of that (the exact wording I can't remember but it was along those lines). Others who post on here were with me and would verify that. Unfortunately, when challenged he and his fellow knuckle draggers instantly became violent which is often the way with these idiots and is partly the reason why people often don't challenge it. If you're stupid enough to shout that sort of thing then you're also stupid enough to smack someone.

I'm not saying it's widespread but I highly doubt you've not been in earshot of any racist comment at any point if you've been going for over 60 years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 144
Yarborough Vaults
September 13, 2023, 2:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32

Areas like Grimsby, are predominantly white. I think there 1 was BAME individual in my whole school year. Statistically, on a Grimsby forum, it isn't an unreasonable assumption to make, tied with the fact the people in question think it's fine to mistake the identity of people from different backgrounds makes it pretty obvious. Secondly, any Grimsby fan justifying mistaken identity of black players is highly unlikely to to have any awareness of the experiences of people from different backgrounds.

Debating racism isn't silly. The fact you think respect for people of different backgrounds is silly says everything it needs to about you. You've gone out of your way with what you feel is a clever comment. Very motivated to shut that debate down. Does discussing the problem of racism make you uncomfortable? Would you rather people didn't talk about it at all? Are you more than happy with the status quo?

You're blind to your own weakness. I'll spell it out and then go and have a cup of tea as feel weary of it all

'English folk' can also be black etc, yet you equate being English as purely white, which is completely racist.

The way you smear white Grimsby fans is a disgrace. Like many on here, my family was connected to the sea and I grew up with tales of faraway places and different cultures so had a fairly open mind to the rest of the world.

Any racist ideas I did hear as a kid disappeared instantly when I saw Keith Alexander heading home at BP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 144
grimsby pete
September 13, 2023, 3:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from ginnywings

You carry on telling yourself that, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary, so I'm not as ill informed as you suggest.

I don't think the present government are racist Ginny.

They just dislike everybody that are not a tory.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 144
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sectarian Chanting

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.