aldi_01
September 11, 2023, 6:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GYinScuntland
I've got my popcorn on repeat prescription as I can see this one overtaking the Scunthorpe thread

When the Athletic article drops today, which it is allegedly going to do, the scunny thread will probably double in length.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 144
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 11, 2023, 7:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Whilst I understand some posters on here will have reduced eyesight (or hearing based on some of the posts on this thread) or are less observant, it’s not that difficult to tell our players apart.

I’ve been away a lot and have only attended two matches in person so far. However, if you showed me a video silhouette of all of the Town players I’ve seen play this season, I’d be able to identify each one. People move in completely different ways.

As it appears to be our POC players who fans on here seem to struggle with the most, I’ve put together a handy guide below so you can recognise them from 70 yards away:

Gnahoua - left footed, which should be an easy differential for a start. Grealish vibes in that he leans forward when he runs / dribbles, so it looks like the ball is stuck under his feet. Shuffler.

Efete - right footed. Rigid, tight upper body - shades of Sandi Toksvig but not full on Gladstone Small. Clothes hangar still in his shirt. One ‘f’, one ‘t’, three ‘e’s.

Conteh - right footed. Squatter and with a hint of bow leg. Uses his sole / studs a lot. Like an 80s Game Boy character who’s slightly squashed to fit on to a smaller screen.

Eisa - right footed. More upright, like a graceful, prancing Lippizaner horse

I’m not sure if identifying Town players is a bit like Maths to some posters / fans. If you tell someone you’re going to give them a Maths puzzle they start panicking like Paul Reece at a corner. If you tell them it’s just a puzzle they get more excited than a dog on heat. If you open your eyes and mind, you’re never too old to learn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 144
lew chaterleys lover
September 11, 2023, 8:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Whilst I understand some posters on here will have reduced eyesight (or hearing based on some of the posts on this thread) or are less observant, it’s not that difficult to tell our players apart.

I’ve been away a lot and have only attended two matches in person so far. However, if you showed me a video silhouette of all of the Town players I’ve seen play this season, I’d be able to identify each one. People move in completely different ways.

As it appears to be our POC players who fans on here seem to struggle with the most, I’ve put together a handy guide below so you can recognise them from 70 yards away:

Gnahoua - left footed, which should be an easy differential for a start. Grealish vibes in that he leans forward when he runs / dribbles, so it looks like the ball is stuck under his feet. Shuffler.

Efete - right footed. Rigid, tight upper body - shades of Sandi Toksvig but not full on Gladstone Small. Clothes hangar still in his shirt. One ‘f’, one ‘t’, three ‘e’s.

Conteh - right footed. Squatter and with a hint of bow leg. Uses his sole / studs a lot. Like an 80s Game Boy character who’s slightly squashed to fit on to a smaller screen.

I’m not sure if identifying Town players is a bit like Maths to some posters / fans. If you tell someone you’re going to give them a Maths puzzle they start panicking like Paul Reece at a corner. If you tell them it’s just a puzzle they get more excited than a dog on heat. If you open your eyes and mind, you’re never too old to learn.

Very droll. You should drop the club a line and get them to produce an easy guide to running style for all new players at the start of each season, so there is no chance whatsoever of anyone under any circumstances making an innocent mistake.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 144
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 11, 2023, 8:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555

Very droll. You should drop the club a line and get them to produce an easy guide to running style for all new players at the start of each season, so there is no chance whatsoever of anyone under any circumstances making an innocent mistake.

I did drop Jason a line actually. He replied, thanked me, told me I was special and then offered to write an article about me.

Anyway, since when has suggesting Waterfall (*) runs like a kangaroo ever got you 3 points of contact on the ground at any one time.

* clearly, Waterfall is like a meerkat when at rest. Surveying the defence at set pieces like comparethemarking.com
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 144
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 11, 2023, 9:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 184
It’s not just the likes of Derry/londonderry or east/west Belfast that sectarianism or pro/anti republicanism is to be found around the Ulster Provence. A shooting of a psni officer in Strabane by ira sympathisers, the hounding of ex Larne footballer John Herron for wearing an ‘up the ra’ T-shirt, pro ira chanting at Wolfe tones concerts, shops refusing to sell poppies, there is a hell of a lot of animosity found in the north. Yet, I work/worked with people that leer at ‘English/British’ people and when questioned why they support man utd, Liverpool etc they say it’s only football!

The vast majority of people I speak to here, don’t want to go back to times when there were checkpoints on roads, soldiers on the streets and daily death counts. But, unfortunately there are tw@ts that are brought up idolising the past and fed poisonous drivel. We still have trouble here in Derry/londonderry, almost every week, but while the MLA’s (local mp’s) refuse to go back to govern at Stormont and everything is blamed on the British government, there is no funding to try to right the wrongs.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 144
Croxton
September 11, 2023, 10:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 34

Not sure why Aldi and yourself are trying to skew this thread (title Sectarian chanting) based on alleged cries of 'shoot,' towards a conclusion that Town fans are racist if they genuinely misidentify a player.

Your own post is hardly an inclusive piece is it? What about the nameless one? What about a helpful guide to the body shape and running styles of non POC players? I struggle a lot more with Holohan, Clifton and Rose.

There are some serious issues with the behaviour of a section of our away following, not least pyros, but casting aspersions on those who 'are never too old to learn' is your priority?

Anyway is the jury still out on using boot colour?  If I yell shoot to 'Gav' but it is really Rose am I racist?

There is no basis in this thread for your premise that actual posters struggle more identifying POC's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 144
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 11, 2023, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Croxton

Not sure why Aldi and yourself are trying to skew this thread (title Sectarian chanting) based on alleged cries of 'shoot,' towards a conclusion that Town fans are racist if they genuinely misidentify a player.

Your own post is hardly an inclusive piece is it? What about the nameless one? What about a helpful guide to the body shape and running styles of non POC players? I struggle a lot more with Holohan, Clifton and Rose.

There are some serious issues with the behaviour of a section of our away following, not least pyros, but casting aspersions on those who 'are never too old to learn' is your priority?

Anyway is the jury still out on using boot colour?  If I yell shoot to 'Gav' but it is really Rose am I racist?

There is no basis in this thread for your premise that actual posters struggle more identifying POC's.

Thank god we haven’t got Newcastle away anytime soon!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 144
chaos33
September 11, 2023, 10:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
What are POCs?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 144
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 11, 2023, 10:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from chaos33
What are POCs?

Persons/people of colour.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 144
September 11, 2023, 11:02am
Guest User
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It’s not just the likes of Derry/londonderry or east/west Belfast that sectarianism or pro/anti republicanism is to be found around the Ulster Provence. A shooting of a psni officer in Strabane by ira sympathisers, the hounding of ex Larne footballer John Herron for wearing an ‘up the ra’ T-shirt, pro ira chanting at Wolfe tones concerts, shops refusing to sell poppies, there is a hell of a lot of animosity found in the north. Yet, I work/worked with people that leer at ‘English/British’ people and when questioned why they support man utd, Liverpool etc they say it’s only football!

The vast majority of people I speak to here, don’t want to go back to times when there were checkpoints on roads, soldiers on the streets and daily death counts. But, unfortunately there are tw@ts that are brought up idolising the past and fed poisonous drivel. We still have trouble here in Derry/londonderry, almost every week, but while the MLA’s (local mp’s) refuse to go back to govern at Stormont and everything is blamed on the British government, there is no funding to try to right the wrongs.

TBH mate, no amount of funding is going to 'right the wrongs' in that City divided geographically by the River Foyle and by the hatred between the two communities that rears it's head most during the marching season.  Obviously things have quietened down massively since I served there but there are still those few who can't let it go.

Reply: 59 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sectarian Chanting

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.