15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
sam gy
September 10, 2023, 2:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Tommy Robinson too - just laughable. Can’t believe they haven’t found a new bloated coke head to adore….the guy is barely mentioned anywhere anymore. Especially seen as everyone knows he just fleeces his followers to fund his habit and lifestyle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 144
Croxton
September 10, 2023, 2:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33

I've been going to BP for over 60 years and have never heard any fan make a racist comment, casual or otherwise in a conversation.

Hot heads as in this current guise will always be hot heads but I don't think that tars anybody else.

Likewise. Where such behaviour occurs, the factors of socioeconomic groups, education, geographical isolation and youth will play a part. Those who wish to manipulate society will target these pockets and use them. Twas ever thus.

When life's basic needs are satisfied such insidious ploys wither and die. The French /Russian Revolutions and Nazism flourished out of hunger and social breakdown. The 'far right' gets some traction in countries like Germany, Spain and Italy where there is a history. Let's not confuse any isolated football yobbishness with the political Right.

Had a smashing holiday in Ireland this Spring. Lovely people but don't imagine they are immune from casual racism, perceived elites and employment gaps.
Their radio phone ins sounded just like ours.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 144
September 10, 2023, 2:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from Croxton

Likewise. Where such behaviour occurs, the factors of socioeconomic groups, education, geographical isolation and youth will play a part. Those who wish to manipulate society will target these pockets and use them. Twas ever thus.

When life's basic needs are satisfied such insidious ploys wither and die. The French /Russian Revolutions and Nazism flourished out of hunger and social breakdown. The 'far right' gets some traction in countries like Germany, Spain and Italy where there is a history. Let's not confuse any isolated football yobbishness with the political Right.

Had a smashing holiday in Ireland this Spring. Lovely people but don't imagine they are immune from casual racism, perceived elites and employment gaps.
Their radio phone ins sounded just like ours.  

I guess it depends in which Ireland you had your holiday in, The Republic/South of Ireland or Northern Ireland.  I would imagine you could go in almost any bar in the South and share a drink with the locals with no repercussions.  However, there are a couple of places in Londonderry  I would not recommend any Englishman going, and declaring he was English, if asked, and a stranger in those places more than likely would be.  In Belfast, I can think of at least 4 areas I would steer well clear of for the very same reason.  Some people still have a grudge to bear.

Reply: 22 - 144
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 10, 2023, 3:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from pizzzza
Clearly chanting of this nature is totally unacceptable and should be condemed whenever it rears its ugly head.

But how big a problem is this? When you say "reports" are these news reports or what?

Read the threads about yesterday`s game on here.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 144
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 10, 2023, 3:24pm
Champagne Drinker
3 pages in and we`re still waiting for someone to tell us why it`s ok to sing sectarian (and pro Tommy Robinson) songs while `supporting` Town.

The red crosses still keep coming.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 144
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 10, 2023, 3:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
It takes a brave man to challenge or shout down a mob of racists who are quick to violence.

You hear casual racism on a daily basis, especially at football matches and would spend half your life in arguments if you challenged every time.

Starts at the top, and many countries, ourselves included, are governed by right wing parties nowadays, which is alarming and history shows it rarely ends well.

The government spout right wing and racist bollox all the time. It's insidious.

You are right, it is brave.

But as the poem says, when you need someone to speak out for you there may be nobody left.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 144
aldi_01
September 10, 2023, 4:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

I've been going to BP for over 60 years and have never heard any fan make a racist comment, casual or otherwise in a conversation.

Hot heads as in this current guise will always be hot heads but I don't think that tars anybody else.

You have, you’ve probably just not noticed…

A bit like when Arthur and Conteh both got 20 yards from goal and people shouted shoot…they clearly thought it was Eisa…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 144
tarka
September 10, 2023, 4:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from aldi_01

A bit like when Arthur and Conteh both got 20 yards from goal and people shouted shoot…they clearly thought it was Eisa…

I have to say...that is so accurate it is painful.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 144
lew chaterleys lover
September 10, 2023, 5:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from aldi_01

It's a very low bar indeed if possible mistaken identity of new players is considered racist by some.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 144
dapperz fun pub
September 10, 2023, 5:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from sam gy
Tommy Robinson too - just laughable. Can’t believe they haven’t found a new bloated coke head to adore….the guy is barely mentioned anywhere anymore. Especially seen as everyone knows he just fleeces his followers to fund his habit and lifestyle.

I’m no fan of Tommy but to say he’s not mentioned anymore his bollox , just cos they’ve shut down his mainstream media accounts doesn’t mean there isn’t other avenues he uses he does. The powers that be are petrified of him and I’ll mention when he was in hull nick not that long ago , my pal who works in there said it was handled like he was a terrorist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Sectarian Chanting

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.