Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

This thread currently has 13,961 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
June 11, 2021, 9:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234

Quoted from codcheeky

Perhaps nothing shows the institutional racism that is so prevalent in this country more than this post, I do not believe you believe you are racist but calling someone Sam because his workmates called him Sambo and because you couldn’t make the effort to learn how to pronounce one name of a man who probably learnt a whole new language? Come on.
That you think this is ok shows the generational divide very clearly, perhaps you are one of those who use “woke “ as an insult, most younger people see it as a compliment.

...and nothing shows the refusal of people to accept peoples real-life experiences, in times that were very different, than your reply.

DB was honest enough, perhaps naive enough to give an account of how life was, and you denigrate him for it many years later because it does not fit in with today's values.

I gather from that story that "Sam" took the lead in how he was to be addressed. DB was not responsible for what his workmates called him and I am sure he would not have used the derogatory term himself.

We perfectly understand today's values; each generation does things differently and people move with the times. They always have done and always will as that is how we improve as a society. DB's story is of how it USED to be; some remnants remain but we are getting there. It is nobody's fault that they grew up in the '50s and 60's when things were very different.

When I was a young lad I never met a single person who was not white British. Imagine that. Not my fault - there wasn't any around to meet. It is important to appreciate that each generation is alive at different times with different values. One day the current younger woke generation will have the same problem. What they still consider normal behaviour will be considered ghastly by generations that follow them.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 161
Humbercod
June 11, 2021, 9:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
The sad thing is we had reached a point in this country where racism was as close to being eradicated as you can get. You could literally get through a month without hearing the R word. But now thanks to this BLM crap if you happen to be white you must be racist or at the very least an unconscious racist🤯
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 161
DB
June 11, 2021, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from codcheeky

Perhaps nothing shows the institutional racism that is so prevalent in this country more than this post, I do not believe you believe you are racist but calling someone Sam because his workmates called him Sambo and because you couldn’t make the effort to learn how to pronounce one name of a man who probably learnt a whole new language? Come on.
That you think this is ok shows the generational divide very clearly, perhaps you are one of those who use “woke “ as an insult, most younger people see it as a compliment.

You obviously have a problem in life. Let me put it this way to you. If I met you and you asked me to call you ars ole then that is what I would call you. Not for any other reason that it would be at your request. Likewise, my old neighbour asked me to call him Sam. This was HIS PREFERENCE, not mine and is not institutional racism as it was his choice.

So what is your problem with that? Unless you wish to insult people, then you call the person the name he/she asks you to acknowledge them by, it is their choice and not anybody else's.

I wasn't aware that as my old neighbour and his wife, both born in England and learnt English at school, as both you and I did, is a new language. A supposition that you got totally wrong. How many Brits go abroad for holidays and cannot be bothered to learn a foreign tongue, is that institutional racism by holidaymakers?

The generation divide as you put it is because one generation respects peoples choices. Whereas the younger generation pokes their noses in and say you can't say that because of XYZ reasons and totally ignore the fact of the choice of names people asked to be called by is for them and accepted by them.

PS.  I don't use 'woke' mainly because I haven't the foggiest idea what it means and I don't care either; likewise, a snowflake comes from the sky. There are enough old words to keep me going without having to use new ones that are meaningless to me.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 161
DB
June 11, 2021, 10:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

That’s probably why the older generations continue to misjudge and get things wrong, when information is readily available for those willing to find it. Whereabouts do the over-60s get their info on how to counter racism then? Because it definitely isn’t from experience.

Perhaps you could advise Ska Face who wrote:-

'It’s a mystery how some of you thick fúckers have reached your 60s and 70s.'

The mystery surely is why do the young continue to ignore history and want to rewrite it!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 161
DB
June 11, 2021, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

Was it yourself or the Asian gentleman who considered there to be no element of racism in his nickname of Sam, shortened from Sambo?

He obviously did as the request was his. He could have said any other name and it would have been ok with me. His choice, not mine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 161
DB
June 11, 2021, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker

...and nothing shows the refusal of people to accept peoples real-life experiences, in times that were very different, than your reply.

DB was honest enough, perhaps naive enough to give an account of how life was, and you denigrate him for it many years later because it does not fit in with today's values.

I gather from that story that "Sam" took the lead in how he was to be addressed. DB was not responsible for what his workmates called him and I am sure he would not have used the derogatory term himself.

We perfectly understand today's values; each generation does things differently and people move with the times. They always have done and always will as that is how we improve as a society. DB's story is of how it USED to be; some remnants remain but we are getting there. It is nobody's fault that they grew up in the '50s and 60's when things were very different.

When I was a young lad I never met a single person who was not white British. Imagine that. Not my fault - there wasn't any around to meet. It is important to appreciate that each generation is alive at different times with different values. One day the current younger woke generation will have the same problem. What they still consider normal behaviour will be considered ghastly by generations that follow them.

Never a truer word has been written about the cycle of life. A * for you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 161
Grantley
June 11, 2021, 5:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from DB

Perhaps you could advise Ska Face who wrote:-

'It’s a mystery how some of you thick fúckers have reached your 60s and 70s.'

The mystery surely is why do the young continue to ignore history and want to rewrite it!

Seeing as you’ve replied twice to me, I’ve obviously struck a nerve. How is it ok for you to make assumptions about younger people yet the same cannot be said for yourself?

Your own postings tells us of the experience you’ve had dealing with other ethnicities. Sure, it’s not your fault that racism was more obvious in the past, but that doesn’t mean you brush it off now because it was alright back then. Can you not realise that calling someone a racial slur (even as a term of endearment) is wrong? Even if your neighbour did want to be called ‘Sam’, go and find anyone in today’s society who would to be associated with that stereotype. Times change - it is far easier to learn new information than before.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 161
DB
June 11, 2021, 5:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

Seeing as you’ve replied twice to me, I’ve obviously struck a nerve. How is it ok for you to make assumptions about younger people yet the same cannot be said for yourself?

Your own postings tells us of the experience you’ve had dealing with other ethnicities. Sure, it’s not your fault that racism was more obvious in the past, but that doesn’t mean you brush it off now because it was alright back then. Can you not realise that calling someone a racial slur (even as a term of endearment) is wrong? Even if your neighbour did want to be called ‘Sam’, go and find anyone in today’s society who would to be associated with that stereotype. Times change - it is far easier to learn new information than before.

I agree times change and I try to move with them as fast as I can. I also believe what happened in the past, beit good or bad should be left where it is.

No nerves my friend, right of reply, freedom of speech, and varying opinions is was the site is all about. Not expecting somebody to keep quiet as in a dictatorship.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 161
Humbercod
June 11, 2021, 6:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Grantley

DB....Hi there I’m DB welcome to the neighbourhood my friend.

Sam...Hello my name is Cheteshwar Samson but you can call me Sam.

DB.... Ok Sam it is then.

40 years later ........

Grantley.....Racist😡

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 161
lew chaterleys lover
June 11, 2021, 6:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Humbercod

DB....Hi there I’m DB welcome to the neighbourhood my friend.

Sam...Hello my name is Cheteshwar Samson but you can call me Sam.

DB.... Ok Sam it is then.

40 years later ........

Grantley.....Racist😡

Succinctly put. What exactly does Grantley expect DB to do, do you think? Does he have to apologise for being a good neighbour, or for living in a different time to Grantley?    
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 161
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.