Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

This thread currently has 14,028 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Stadium
June 12, 2021, 10:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19

From the John Humphrys piece - so why won't some people applaud the taking of the knee.   "I suspect that many resent being forced to prove they are decent human beings, that don't have a racist bone in their bodies. They resent having to answer the are you with us or against us challenge. And why should they?

Quite simply, because they believe the way they lead their lives answers that question for them. They want to be judged by their deeds and not on their words.

There is something else too. They  suspect that taking the knee is more about showing support for the organisation behind the gesture, than it is about showing respect for people with black skin.They do not want to support BLM, a movement with its roots in America, whose founders have admitted they want to destroy capitalism and defund the police.

They reject the idea that racism is the only legitimate prism to view the world; they don't like to see statues pulled down buildings renamed, heroes shamed and feeling like they should apologise for having a white skin.

They don't like being told - if you are with us you should applaud those who take the knee. If you're not with us, you are a racist. They are pretty good at spotting virtue signalling when they see it, and it makes them very uneasy.

So they don't applaud, and they don't boo; instead they just try to get on with their lives..."

I could not have put it better myself, and these are some of the reasons I am against taking a knee.

Your "harms no one, insults nobody" is your way of trying to paint anybody who doesn't support it in a bad light - just as Mr Humphrys said.

???
"if you are with us you should applaud"

Totally incorrect,nobody even stated that.

Your "harms no one, insults nobody" is your way of trying to paint anybody who doesn't support it in a bad light

Not at all.
A conclusion you have drawn or the article has.

Congratulations though on finding the article you seemed to have a problem with locating before....

But,but but....

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 161
lew chaterleys lover
June 12, 2021, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Stadium

???
"if you are with us you should applaud"
Totally incorrect,nobody even stated that.
Congratulations though on finding the article you seemed to have a problem with locating before....
But,but but....

I did not have a problem locating it, I said I did not know how to post it on here. I still don't so have had to type it myself. The article is a lot longer if you care to read it.

I have explained my position so we will leave it at that.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 161
Stadium
June 12, 2021, 10:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19

I did not have a problem locating it, I said I did not know how to post it on here. I still don't so have had to type it myself. The article is a lot longer if you care to read it.

I have explained my position so we will leave it at that.

Fair comment.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 161
KingstonMariner
June 13, 2021, 12:40am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Marinerdan
Got to say I love Croatia, its a beautiful country.

There's definitely a racist element amongst their football fans, the national team was playing behind closed doors last time we where there. However, we didn't experience any racism, even outside of the main tourist areas.

Are you white by any chance?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 161
June 13, 2021, 9:03am
Guest User
Ok so, seems like the majority of posters on here are telling people not to boo surely they have a right to boo if they so wish, as far as I know it's not illegal, correct me if I'm wrong,  so they have the right to boo those who take the knee in the same way those who take the knee have that same right to take the knee!  Just saying......................
Reply: 144 - 161
RichMariner
June 13, 2021, 9:16am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Yes they have a right to boo. But they need to know it’s deeply insulting to those who choose to take a knee and therefore, by extension, even more insulting to those who just want to be treated equally.

To be honest, I think all of us are in agreement that the booing is bad. It’s fine to disagree and have problems with the gesture of taking the knee, but has anyone here on this thread said explicitly that they would boo?

Trying to find some common ground here.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 145 - 161
ginnywings
June 13, 2021, 10:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 123614
Ok so, seems like the majority of posters on here are telling people not to boo surely they have a right to boo if they so wish, as far as I know it's not illegal, correct me if I'm wrong,  so they have the right to boo those who take the knee in the same way those who take the knee have that same right to take the knee!  Just saying......................

The same argument is trotted out by people who boo Town players when they have a bad game. "I've paid my money, so I have a right to boo" they say.

In either instance, it's not very constructive is it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 161
KingstonMariner
June 13, 2021, 10:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 123614

Of course you e got the right to boo. No one is saying that you haven’t.

Of course, by booing you’d be showing that your a male private.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 161
AndyGTFC
June 13, 2021, 10:33am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
It’s incredibly ironic that the same people who are crying over this are usually the same types to call everyone snowflakes. Looks like that’s right.

But the drama over this is ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 161
Roast Em Bobby
June 13, 2021, 11:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44

From the John Humphrys piece - so why won't some people applaud the taking of the knee.   "I suspect that many resent being forced to prove they are decent human beings, that don't have a racist bone in their bodies. They resent having to answer the are you with us or against us challenge. And why should they?

Quite simply, because they believe the way they lead their lives answers that question for them. They want to be judged by their deeds and not on their words.

There is something else too. They  suspect that taking the knee is more about showing support for the organisation behind the gesture, than it is about showing respect for people with black skin.They do not want to support BLM, a movement with its roots in America, whose founders have admitted they want to destroy capitalism and defund the police.

They reject the idea that racism is the only legitimate prism to view the world; they don't like to see statues pulled down buildings renamed, heroes shamed and feeling like they should apologise for having a white skin.

They don't like being told - if you are with us you should applaud those who take the knee. If you're not with us, you are a racist. They are pretty good at spotting virtue signalling when they see it, and it makes them very uneasy.

So they don't applaud, and they don't boo; instead they just try to get on with their lives..."

I could not have put it better myself, and these are some of the reasons I am against taking a knee.

Your "harms no one, insults nobody" is your way of trying to paint anybody who doesn't support it in a bad light - just as Mr Humphrys said.

Did you stand on you’re doorstep applauding the NHS? Where you against players applauding the NHS before games? Just asking since you are so against virtue signalling?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 161
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.