Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

This thread currently has 13,693 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
June 10, 2021, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,875
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from Yoda
It is not good when this action is being talked about more than the actual game.

You started it.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 161
RichMariner
June 10, 2021, 1:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Taking the knee has become a problem because people went searching to find a reason to not like it.

Why is that?

Those of us who are accused of being snowflakes aren't the delicate ones here. Think what you like about taking the knee but it isn't offensive to anyone. It's a quiet show of solidarity in wanting to improve society.

If you have a problem with that, then you're part of the problem.

And yes, for what it's worth, I believe the gesture has run its course. It's time to approach this topic differently and find another way, because the big social media corporations can do a lot more (and some sections of the government and media can stop inciting people so their deepest prejudices don't keep resurfacing).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 41 - 161
immariner
June 10, 2021, 1:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Yoda
It is not good when this action is being talked about more than the actual game.

Irony is sonething that's a bit metallic to you I'm guessing? hahaha

I'm reminded of that Mickey Flanagan routine about the internet (edit, it was actually about reality telly). How thick people used to know they were thick and stayed hidden. Ahh the good old days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 161
Grimsbynewhope
June 10, 2021, 1:39pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
That’s not fair Yoda’s not clever enough to be called thick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 161
Tinymariner
June 10, 2021, 1:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope
Maybe we should call this thread I’m not a racist but…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 161
GollyGTFC
June 10, 2021, 1:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Players taking the knee about racism and discrimination is them holding up a mirror to society. Those who choose to boo obviously don’t like what they see staring back at them.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 161
Kris2
June 10, 2021, 2:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Croatia refusing is not really a surprise since the Slavic nations are often massively racist, oppressing ethnic minorities in their countries,  the cause of several wars in the region. Kind of ironic in ways because of their history and the Nazis once wanted to exterminate them based on the fact they aren't Aryan people and their land would be better suited on the master race. I guess at points the oppressed become the oppressors again.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 161
Gaffer58
June 10, 2021, 2:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Out of interest how many on this board have taken the knee today, if not why not, it always seems to be the poor old (sorry, rich young) footballers/ sportspersons who are expected to show their solidarity with the oppressed etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 161
MeanwoodMariner
June 10, 2021, 3:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from RichMariner
Taking the knee has become a problem because people went searching to find a reason to not like it.

Why is that?

Those of us who are accused of being snowflakes aren't the delicate ones here. Think what you like about taking the knee but it isn't offensive to anyone. It's a quiet show of solidarity in wanting to improve society.

If you have a problem with that, then you're part of the problem.

We really are just going round in circles now. Whatever the origins were of taking the knee, whatever the current England squad say it means to them, it is inextricably linked to BLM. At the very least, BLM can be considered controversial in some aspects such as their ubiquitous slogan "all cops are illegitimates". I am not comfortable with that link and would absolutely love the players to do a different gesture to show that they think racism is bad. That's all there is to it.

Politicians like Boris Johnson and Donald Trump throw around blatant lies about what the Brexit deal will do or how many people turned up at their inauguration. I call out the BS and get labelled a libtard remoaner. Now people claim that taking the knee is in no way connected to BLM. Point out that that's absurd revisionism and you're an unreachable racist. I'll be honest, I think both are a tad unfair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 161
lew chaterleys lover
June 10, 2021, 3:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from kevikov
I beg forgiveness if this offends, it genuinely is not meant to. My query regarding taking the knee, or aversion to it I should say. Is that kneeling before someone shows subversion, like they are your master and you must obey and do as you are told so to speak. In history slaves were made to kneel, we’re thankfully at the point where this is not an acceptable thing to make someone do. So why are we taking the knee? Is it to highlight that taking the knee was wrong in the first place? That we all now are submissive to each other? That no one group of people or race have power over another? All the above? I applaud the direct and hopefully successful movement by humans to ensure equality for all people but wonder if a different symbol would knit us all together better or if a divisive one works because it is divisive. Again apologies if I’ve offended.

You have no need to apologise. You make a valid point. The taking of the knee was the bandwagon to be jumped on at the time, but as usual, no one seemed to give any thought to the consequences in the future, regarding the aims of BLM and what the gesture meant in the wider sense.

It is no good Southgate now saying the players are taking the knee to combat racism only, when the act is front and centre of BLM and some of the more extreme things they stand for.

Is it not beyond the wit of the football authorities to come up with an all-encompassing and far-reaching attempt to educate and change attitudes within football?

I know, something like the Kick it out campaign which has received universal acclaim. Couldn't the players be photographed before the game holding a kick it out banner, which is aimed purely at ridding the game of racism and does not carry any of the stigmas of the BLM organisation?

I don't understand why they keep swimming against the tide unable to grasp the simple fact that taking the knee is the trademark of the BLM movement and its proclaimed aims which is an anathema to most fans. Keep taking the knee, and fans will continue to protest and sour the atmosphere before the game has even started.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 161
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Non Football › Croatia refuse to take the knee in Euro’s

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.