Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Mental Health

This thread currently has 21,648 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
December 11, 2022, 2:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,397
Gold Stars: 149
Leon im only ever a message or whatssap away.
*phone number removed*

That goes for anyone who reads this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 340
LH
December 11, 2022, 8:50pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,564
Gold Stars: 174
Thank you so much for the messages. I’ll look into your suggestions this week.
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 340
Humbercod
December 21, 2022, 10:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Well they say it’s good to talk and share so here goes. I’ve always looked at the rise in mental health especially amongst men as a fad of our times. I mean it’s everywhere everyone is talking about it these days, everyone knows someone suffering with it, the new fool proof replacement for back ache at work. My thought process was like how can there be so many weak, insensitive, and selfish people, jumping on this bandwagon robbing the needs of those generally struggling with mental health.

This was from a man living a comfortable life living in a big posh house in Humberston a beautiful wife, and 2 amazing kids, as far from mental health as you could get…. Ignorant!
Fast forward 6 months I’m now living alone for the first time ever in my life with heartache, loneliness, and depression wondering how I’m going to get through Xmas, I’ve been on the verge of ending the pain the easy way and found myself being taken by the police to Harrison house. I’m still having counselling, and attending the Andy’s man club at the college when I can make it, not sure if it makes a difference at the minute but time will tell.

I now realise I was was someone who never really appreciated what he had but now it’s gone it’s to late. Happiness is precious if you have this in your life then you need to remind yourself you’re one of the lucky ones. Trying to stay positive and trying to look forward now I have a home, a job and I’m now seeing my children regularly there are a lot worse off people than me I keep telling myself. What I will say to anyone suffering please don’t bottle it up, just talking about it helps massively there is no shame or weakness, there is loads of help out there even speaking with your doctor helps they will offer you free counselling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 340
lukeo
December 21, 2022, 10:49am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,397
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from Humbercod
Well they say it’s good to talk and share so here goes. I’ve always looked at the rise in mental health especially amongst men as a fad of our times. I mean it’s everywhere everyone is talking about it these days, everyone knows someone suffering with it, the new fool proof replacement for back ache at work. My thought process was like how can there be so many weak, insensitive, and selfish people, jumping on this bandwagon robbing the needs of those generally struggling with mental health.

This was from a man living a comfortable life living in a big posh house in Humberston a beautiful wife, and 2 amazing kids, as far from mental health as you could get…. Ignorant!
Fast forward 6 months I’m now living alone for the first time ever in my life with heartache, loneliness, and depression wondering how I’m going to get through Xmas, I’ve been on the verge of ending the pain the easy way and found myself being taken by the police to Harrison house. I’m still having counselling, and attending the Andy’s man club at the college when I can make it, not sure if it makes a difference at the minute but time will tell.

I now realise I was was someone who never really appreciated what he had but now it’s gone it’s to late. Happiness is precious if you have this in your life then you need to remind yourself you’re one of the lucky ones. Trying to stay positive and trying to look forward now I have a home, a job and I’m now seeing my children regularly there are a lot worse off people than me I keep telling myself. What I will say to anyone suffering please don’t bottle it up, just talking about it helps massively there is no shame or weakness, there is loads of help out there even speaking with your doctor helps they will offer you free counselling.

Glad things are looking up for you cod. I hope things continue to progress. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 340
Rick12
December 23, 2022, 7:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
How a  scarred past  affects people especially children which is so sad to read.  Wish some children didn't have to go through stuff and life was more ideal 🕯️. Hence the world isn't bad it's what some humans  do to each other that make it appear that way :

The PTSD brains of children and soldiers

Scientists have discovered that the brain structures of traumatised soldiers and children change in the same way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-35595086

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 340
ginnywings
December 23, 2022, 4:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Humbercod

Sorry to hear that Humbo.

I've been there, so I know how you feel. All I can say is keep jumping those hurdles mate and eventually they will be behind you. Time really is a great healer, so get through each day in whatever way you can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 340
ginnywings
December 23, 2022, 5:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from LH
I always struggle in the winter and this year is no different. It’s probably something to do with sunlight but also the things I enjoy doing and use for distractions (golf and walking) become less available. I’m getting to the point in life now where I’m regretting some of the choices I made earlier in life with regards career. I’m somewhat of a social hand grenade so I’m becoming a bit reclusive and socially awkward (at the very best) if I do. Anyway I left an event after having a bit of a moment last night and was walking country roads in the cold and dark and I now think it’s time to act on it.

You probably know this already, but it sounds like you may have seasonal affective disorder or SAD. A mate of mine gets it and has had good results with light therapy.

May be worth a try if you haven't already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 340
Sandford1981
December 23, 2022, 5:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

You probably know this already, but it sounds like you may have seasonal affective disorder or SAD. A mate of mine gets it and has had good results with light therapy.

May be worth a try if you haven't already.

It worked for my Brother and my Dad. I was talking to someone about it the other day and then saw this when browsing the bbc news site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programm.....help-boost-your-mood

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 340
ginnywings
December 23, 2022, 7:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I'm more or less retired now, so I can get out and about in what little daylight hours we have at this time of year, but I can understand how difficult it can be for someone who works indoors and probably travels to and from work in the dark.

I walk everyday, at least 5 miles and usually more, and love that I live on the coast, as I love being by the sea. My second favourite place to be is in the woods. I think the cool millenials call it forest bathing, but an hour or two in Weelsby or Bradley Woods does wonders for my mood.

Whenever me and Mrs G go travelling in our camper, we always end up by the sea or in some forest somewhere. I get log cabin fever if I can't get out into nature for a while and my mood suffers. Most of my working life has been spent outdoors or partially outdoors but my mate who suffered from SAD worked in a Humber Bank factory most of his life and sometimes didn't see daylight for days depending on his shifts. Since he retired, he has coped with winter much better.

Anyway, the shortest day has been and gone now and the days get longer by 2 minutes in the morning and 2 minutes at night. Won't be long before the bright days are here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 340
LH
December 23, 2022, 11:20pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,564
Gold Stars: 174
Yes Ginny I have been messaged by a few people to say this is what it’s likely to be and reading the NHS site it definitely looks to be that to me. Like you I cover a lot of ground on foot in the summer (probably nearer to ten miles a day between March and October) but it significantly drops in the winter although it’s still around the five mile mark. I have previously suffered low mood and the first thing I was advised to do was to exercise so took up running and walking and haven’t stopped since.

In lockdown I saw it described as getting your vitamin ‘n’ (for nature). I live near Bradley and Dixon Woods and run and walk through there regularly. Not much can beat the tranquility of a early summer sunrise in there. We found Saltfleet (on rainy or very windy days so the regulars aren’t there ) ideal for dogwalking in lockdown too. There’s probably two miles of sand from the car park to the sea at low tide there. If there’s anyone feeling a bit off it I’d recommend a walk in nature as a good way to clear your head. There’s so many sounds, birds, animals and fauna that we take for granted in our corner of the world - go and look for them for an hour or two.

I work in a building without windows as it is but I get there and leave in darkness at this time if year on days and nights. As I’m off for the best part of three weeks I’ve held off going to the GP to see if my mood lifts but will be going in the new year to see what they say.
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 340
35 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health

Thread Rating

There have been 3 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.