Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 383,908 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 12, 2020, 10:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Stadium

The concept of doing nothing is quite bizarre & totally out of line with the rest of Europe.
Basically cancel cruises, school trips and keep washing your hands.strange.
Going to be grim and fully agree with question about the ability of a massively underfunded health service been able to cope.

If you followed the news conference you would know why things are being done as they are. I am no fan of Boris but I do think that he and the Chief Medical Officer spoke common sense about the timing of actions. They certainly did not say such things as school closures would not happen, they simply said their evidence showed to date that it would not be an effective thing to do.

People in this country have become so used to having everything handed to them on a plate and simply moaning that not enough money is being thrown about when it does not work to their satisfaction. No country in this world has a health system that could give treatment to every virus sufferer so the NH is no worse than anywhere else and better off than most. It may be that the Italians have made a pig's ear of their planning I don't know, the neighbouring countries around northern Italy do not seem to be so panic stricken so maybe the Swiss and some of the others are taking the more measured one step at a time, common sense approach. The Norwegians  seem to be totally overreacting. Every place must do as it thinks best. Even as an oldie and one of the "at risk" I am not going to do more than is needed today, tomorrow will come soon enough.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 3468
LH
March 12, 2020, 10:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
Mikel Arteta tests positive. Suspend the season and restart later, FFS.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 3468
Stadium
March 12, 2020, 10:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

If you followed the news conference you would know why things are being done as they are. I am no fan of Boris but I do think that he and the Chief Medical Officer spoke common sense about the timing of actions. They certainly did not say such things as school closures would not happen, they simply said their evidence showed to date that it would not be an effective thing to do.

People in this country have become so used to having everything handed to them on a plate and simply moaning that not enough money is being thrown about when it does not work to their satisfaction. No country in this world has a health system that could give treatment to every virus sufferer so the NH is no worse than anywhere else and better off than most. It may be that the Italians have made a pig's ear of their planning I don't know, the neighbouring countries around northern Italy do not seem to be so panic stricken so maybe the Swiss and some of the others are taking the more measured one step at a time, common sense approach. The Norwegians  seem to be totally overreacting. Every place must do as it thinks best. Even as an oldie and one of the "at risk" I am not going to do more than is needed today, tomorrow will come soon enough.

Interesting thing today was that, more than once, we heard certain measures would not be taken for now because they didn't think that people would stand for it/endure it

So that says two things to me.
1) that the Nudgers have outshouted the scientists and
2) that HMG has no faith in its power to enforce anything.

not good

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 3468
Stadium
March 12, 2020, 10:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from LH
Mikel Arteta tests positive. Suspend the season and restart later, FFS.

"A Premier League spokesman confirmed matches would take place as normal after sports bodies were told by the government’s medical experts on Thursday that there remains a very low probability of someone with Covid-19 infecting a large number of people in a stadium."

Mnnm, they seemingly allowed games to proceed on the basis that only one person in each stadium would have it. i bet they even used that average of '3 resultant infections' to weigh up the risk, too.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the 'super spreader' in south korea back in feb has been shown to have infected about 1200 people on her own.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 3468
codcheeky
March 13, 2020, 7:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31

My main concern is that the “experts” our government has seem to be making a different call to those in nearly every other country except the US and even they are banning flights
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 3468
GollyGTFC
March 13, 2020, 8:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Coronavirus isn’t as serious as flu. Fortunately however we have a widely used flu vaccine which protects the people most vulnerable to it which keeps flu deaths at a very low rate when compared with past. Over 70% of 65+ year olds have it every year. At the moment there’s no vaccine for coronavirus so a less serious infections is more deadly for those vulnerable (elderly, ill, underlying medical conditions etc...).

I’m sure by next winter they’ll be a new joint flu/coronavirus vaccine available and this will prove to be a once in a lifetime emergency.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 175 - 3468
rancido
March 13, 2020, 8:08am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Maringer
I've read somewhere that they don't think it will be all over until perhaps as late as October. If you thought 2019 was excrement, 2020 has got something to show you.

The schools thing is just odd. I know there is some scientific advice that indicates it doesn't matter much if the schools are open, but there is evidence against this from the past. If nothing else, shutting them for the next couple of weeks (followed by the Easter holidays) would make everyone take it a bit more seriously. That's one thing we need.

China, Hong Kong and Singapore got a grasp of things and have kept it very much in check through strict measures. Other countries such as Italy (and us) have tinkered around the edges trying to get away with taking a more lax approach. The situation in Italy as a whole should indicate that this isn't the way to operate - however, the 10 Italian cities which were quarantined early, back in February, are apparently now showing no new cases.

I think we've got perhaps a handful of days to make the right choice. Hopefully, it will be made before next week.

China played down this virus when it first materialised and even censured the scientist who discovered it. They tried to keep it under wraps until it became so widespread that they had to open up but "the genie was out of the bottle" by then. We live in very much of a global society now and a virus like this can spread to several countries during it's incubation period and before it is identified. How many of these flu like viruses have emerged from China in the last 20 years? They all seem to be linked with the poor food hygiene regulations there and their almost medieval approach to live food markets. Sad to say these viruses could become more commonplace in the next decade as China becomes more of a  power in the trading world.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 3468
GrimRob
March 13, 2020, 8:18am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
My wife has a medical condition that corona virus would make life threatening so it's self isolate time. For months if necessary.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 177 - 3468
lew chaterleys lover
March 13, 2020, 8:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer
I've read somewhere that they don't think it will be all over until perhaps as late as October. If you thought 2019 was excrement, 2020 has got something to show you.

The schools thing is just odd. I know there is some scientific advice that indicates it doesn't matter much if the schools are open, but there is evidence against this from the past. If nothing else, shutting them for the next couple of weeks (followed by the Easter holidays) would make everyone take it a bit more seriously. That's one thing we need.

China, Hong Kong and Singapore got a grasp of things and have kept it very much in check through strict measures. Other countries such as Italy (and us) have tinkered around the edges trying to get away with taking a more lax approach. The situation in Italy as a whole should indicate that this isn't the way to operate - however, the 10 Italian cities which were quarantined early, back in February, are apparently now showing no new cases.

I think we've got perhaps a handful of days to make the right choice. Hopefully, it will be made before next week.

Why do you think 2019 was s**t, apart from things not going your way politically?
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 3468
March 13, 2020, 8:40am
Guest User
Quoted from codcheeky
The sensible thing would be to suspend games for a while, everyone is moving faster and more thoroughly than the UK government, I have a ticket for Saturday but will not be going. . Unfortunately until there is a vaccine the only way to slow the virus is more isolation and hygiene .
The government has known this was coming for the last two months, with a health service and social services that have been cut and cut again in the last ten years it is very very worrying

I read somewhere that it would take approximately a year to come up with a vaccine.

Reply: 179 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.